CAP 4 CAP 4 - Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im going off the daddy long-legs idea, so for him I think-
Technician- I just feel this ability matches it, however, I dunnor what moves will be popular with it, so it called all be a waste of time...
I dont know if battle armour could be a viable option as it does have like a helmet and it looks protected by its hands?
And I think because of its hands and everything, Frisk would be a great option.
i agree with Latino Heat, giving it an awesome ability would just break it like a twig!

I like forewarn for Elagune's Naga design, I think it fits very well. Off the top of my head I can't really think of many other abilities that fit it very well, unlike the daddy long legs. That thing can make almost all abilities plausible.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
• When I first started playing Pokemon, Trace was my favorite ability of them all, but I really think we should leave that one to the Psychic Pokémon.

• I don't really see a problem with Mold Breaker, but if people say it's broken, then I guess I'll take their word for it.

• Another really cool option would be Quick Feet. People could try to sweep with Flame Orbs! :D

For the Smogimp:

• I think the clear choice here is Sand Veil with no second ability.
Porygon2 has Trace. Porygon2 is not Psychic.
Mold Breaker is really broken.
Quick Feet is useless on a supporter.
NO MORE SAND VEIL HAX. Please? Anyways, its more of a smog cloud than a sand cloud.

I think Frisk would be too cheap on this guy and would in fact hurt the metagame quite a bit. A big portion of what makes many leads useful is their unpredictability. If their items get revealed, then the entire surprise factor dies. As an example, one of the toughest things about facing something like gengar is its unpredictability. Focus sash, scarf, and life orb are 3 perfectly viable starters, all of which are played very differently. Getting the item (and your strategy) revealed starts you off with a big disadvantage. So I would strongly discourage Frisk.

As for my suggestions:
For the Daddy LongHands: Technician, Tangled Feet, Suction Cups, Poison Point, and No Guard all seem viable to me. The ones in bold look best both for appropriateness and for usefulness. Poison Point is actually pretty useful on something that's designed to take a few hits. But like others said, it's a boring trait. Suction cups also seems viable, as it can hold on to the ground using those 8 arms.

But if I were to pick one, No Guard would get my vote. First off, it fits perfectly on this poke. What machamp can do with just 4 arms should be entirely possible for something with 8 arms and almost twice the speed. Secondly, it would be a great effect to bring into the battle. It makes things very interesting, as the trait is sort of a double-edged sword. With the right balance of moves, this would be it.

Smog Imp: Sand Veil looks absolutely perfect, as it can hide within that sandy, smoky tail of his. Pressure also seems like it could work.

For the Others: Nothing yet. I'll post em as I come up with the ideas

I like the no guard idea but to me it seems more offensive than utility, since most utility moves like gravity or trick room are effective regardless of accuracy.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Quick Feet and Poison Point seem to be appropriate for most of the designs posted so far and they aren't terrible abilities really.

I'd be against Poison Point, I think we are best off making it distinct as possible from Nidoqueen (and is one of the reasons it shouldnt get Tspikes).

Technician for the Daddy Long Legs thing would be great in terms of flavour-fitting, and Frisk could be a decent option too.

For Doug's snake, Intimidate would be best although ~100 base HP and ~ 90 Base Def would make it almost too powerful. Shed Skin would perhaps fit it, but its more of an armoured snake and so Battle Armor could work.

I'd think Insomnia for the Smog Imp would fit flavour-wise too, and could make this into a utility status absorber with Psuedo-Paralysis, Poison and Sleep immunity.

Most of the ppl here already spoke out with abilities that I agree with, so I'll just repeat what everyone else has said, lol.

Daddy-Long-Hands
Tangled Feet
Klutz
Technician
Quick Feet (though it'll become a little broken with double its speed, lawl)
Iron Fist
(flavor and a little bit of a boost on physical sweepiness?)
Pickup (just for flavor's sake, lol)
Runaway (same as the above)
Sticky Hold (same!)

I'm not too sure about Poison Point though. Usually those Pokes that have this ability have thorns/spikes ALL over their body (Qwilfish, Roselia line, Nido line). Not just on its rear/joints. Its hard to verbalise my thoughts here, lawl. ^^; =_=

Smog Imp
Aftermath (i dunno, sort of suits it with that perpetual toxic gas-tail)
Inner Focus
Shield Dust
(well... you know, sand dust? XD)
Stench (flavor's sake)
White Smoke
Sand Stream/Sand Veil
*gets shot*

My Poisonous Emo/Timid/Helpful Wheel
Insomnia
Levitate
(useless with Gravity, though...)
White Smoke
Serene Grace
Run Away
(due to its timid personality)
Anticipation (due to paranoia)
Sand Stream *gets shot again*
Oblivious

I agree with the_artic_one that Forewarn works well on most, if not all of the pokes. Pressure is possible too.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I honestly can't manage to mention an ability without knowing which art work was chosen for this Pokemon. I kinda find it essential to link a Pokemon ability with its artwork.

The two that appeal two me are Frisk and Rough Skin.

Both abilities are good, but not broken. I mean, why give it a ability like Solid Rock or Intimidate? It already has such good stats and a badass movepool, that he really shouldn't be pushed over the limit. Each pokemon has to have its balance, which is why I was a it bugged by Syclant's Mountaineer aility, but thats just me.
I'd also like to see these creative moves put to use. I'm Banette would be great at using it...if its stats were reversed. Stantler's Intimidate is a bit better. And Sharpedo can't use Rough Skin to save his life, unless he's used as death fodder or something.

My vote is for Insomnia because the best utility pokemon should be able to not only switch in safely but absorb all of a teams potential status problems.

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Forwarn has been said liek over 9000 times. It "fits", but it only warns the user of a SE move, not say, Rock Polish over EQ on a Gliscor.

I made a list of abilities I could see some of the art submissions getting. The good ones are bolded.

Daddy Long Legs

Frisk
Iron Fist
Pickup
Sticky Hold
Tangle Feet
Does anyone know if Sticky Hold will stop Trick?

Smogimp

Insomnia
Majic Gaurd
Pickup
Scrappy
Serene Grace
Shield Dust
Synchronize
White Smoke
Cute Charm

DJD's Snake

Battle Armor
Intimidate (possibly too good)
Rock Head
Rough Skin

Wheel

Insomnia
Levitate (for non Gravity sets)
Synchronize
Trace

Ninja Meerkat

Frisk
Inner Focus
Keen Eye
Limber
Pickup
Own Tempo
Sticky Hold
Vital Spirit
Scrappy

Edit: I think Burrow and the ability that extends the screens, Trick Room, Gravity, Safegaurd, and Tailwind are good ideas.

I think these abilites have a lot of appeal on a Utility pokemon without completly overpowering it.

1) Frisk: Mentioned a ton already but knowing items is a very valuable asset.

2)Poison Point A natural ability given the typing and a good defensive ability to add.

3) Unaware I think a pokemon designed to specialize in nonattack moves would naturally ignore the opponent and it ensures it can setup regardless of any buffs the opponent has aquired.

tennisace

Edit: I think Burrow and the ability that extends the screens, Trick Room, Gravity, Safegaurd, and Tailwind are good ideas.
What's Burrow? And there is no ability that does that. Burrow probably doesn't exist either. There is an item to extend the screens, Light Clay. If people suggest new abilities, they better think about it so it doesn't become Mountaineer 2.0. Just my two cents.

EDIT: Haha overtime.

What's Burrow? And there is no ability that does that. Burrow probably doesn't exist either. There is an item to extend the screens, Light Clay. If people suggest new abilities, they better think about it so it doesn't become Mountaineer 2.0. Just my two cents.

EDIT: Haha overtime.
Either I'm crazy, or someone suggested these abilities. Burrow was supposed to be a Ground orriented Suction Cups and I think the person suggested a 2 turn increase for the other ability. I also agree that if we make a new ability, we need to make sure it doesn't become broken.

Adaptability all the way. STAB'd Earthquake, with doubled power and running off 80 base Attack isn't too broken, but makes this baby laugh at many walls with Gravity.

Porygon2 has Trace. Porygon2 is not Psychic.
I know, but he sort of feels Psychic, don't you think? In a, he's less normal than Pidgeot and Snorlax kind of way.

Quick Feet is useless on a supporter.
Well, sure, but as Aldaron said, one of the most interesting things about Pokémon is that your options are always open. It'd be quite interesting, in my opinion, to see a gimmick Quick Feet sweeper set, that wouldn't, of course, be too effective, but still be good enough to get a kill in every once in a while. I don't know, I'm just saying that it would be cool to give ourselves some innovative options of how to use this thing when we're done with it, as long as they don't break anything, you know? :)

NO MORE SAND VEIL HAX. Please? Anyways, its more of a smog cloud than a sand cloud.
Yeah, no, I agree. I renounce my Sand Veil suggestion. Probably just Pressure or something like that would be best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)