CAP 4 CAP 4 - Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frisk would make perfect sense flavor-wise if we used the daddy long-legs, I can just imagine it frisking an opponent with all 6 of it's hands. Given that this could potentially be a lead (high speed, SR/spikes/tspikes, possibly taunt), Frisk would be great for learning what set an opponent's using, and it's just generally a cool ability that's not passed around to enough good Pokemon.

Also, please stop cluttering up the thread with giant pictures/text, it doesn't serve much purpose (if you must, just link to a picture) and it's a pain to scroll through.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
isnt art poll meant to come before ability like every other CAP project. For daddy long legs i would have suggested limber, but i don't think that would have much use as its immune to thunder wave. Tangled feet was another but i don't really see much use. Then again i don't see why every pokemon we make has to have an outstanding trait.
Discussions run simultaneously with other polls, so that we have enough ideas layed out on the table to have an actual poll when the time comes around. Yes, the actual poll will be after the Art Poll, but enough people showed interest in discussing potential abilities on the server that we needed a place dedicated to it's discussion.

And guys, I really would like to shy away from trapping abilities.

It's decided
I put my full support behind Frisk as (one of) its ability(ies).
Like Fishin said, it fits flavour-wise.
It's also a useful, yet "underused" ability, as nothing in standards has it.
If, again, it turns out to be Cartoons' design.
Or the Imp.

Going off of typing I came up with these, which would seem to make some sense:

Poison Point
Sticky Hold
Shell Armor
Sand Veil
Solid Rock?

Oh, I didn't know that.
But my main point is the "Rockiness"
And besides, that would be a bit too much on this Pokemon.

For the Daddy Longlegs art, I like the idea of giving it both Own Tempo and Tangled Feet. This gives you the choice of either being immune to Confusion, or benefitting from it - not that either is really that useful, but I don't think this guy really needs a good ability considering it looks like it will have very goods stats and a massive movepool. Anyway, I think both of those abilities fit great flavorwise, and it seems similar to actual ingame standards, for example, Lucario can either be immune to flinch with Inner Focus or benefit from it with Steadfast, or how Ursaring can either get an attack boost from status with Guts, or a speed boost with Quick Feet.

If it wasn't broken, I would totally want to give the Daddy Longlegs an ability that let it hold two items at once, but yeah, it is, so...

Edit: Just noticed Spinda actually has both of those abilities, so I guess it wasn't all that creative=/ Well, I doubt anybody would notice lol

Camerupt is Fire/Ground and has Solid Rock, but he's based on a Volcano so that's a moot point.

I didn't want to base it off any particular design so I was going with the though that maybe if it wasn't completely solid that the liquid or oozing parts could dry if the poke was in dry weather or heat for a long time is all.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
For DJD's Snake, I propose Rough Skin. It would make the ability actually useful in addition to allowing this to punish the likes of Sashed Lucario on a Close Combat or Reversal Switchin.

Natural Cure is awesome on a utility, but also probably broken.

Scrappy would tell Ghosts to take a hike vis-a-vis Rapid Spin, but otherwise be useless.

Sand Veil would let it be very annoying >_>

It could also have a unique ability that extends all support moves by 2 turns. Tailwind no longer useless yay.

Natural would allow it to come in and not be effected by stat boosts.

Early Bird gives resistance to sleep while allowing Rest to be used. I doubt anyone is up for giving this Recover or Slack Off.

For the Daddy Longlegs:

Pickup and Sticky Hold are by far the most flavorful!

Technician would be awesome. Doubleslap, anyone? I know it sucks, but it's just oh so flavorful.

• I agree with omgthatkid; Frisk would be awesome, and make this Pokémon into quite an interesting, original lead.

Adaptability is an interesting option, but it would only really be acceptable if its attacking stats were in the 60s and 70s, because that would make a brutal Earthquake.

• When I first started playing Pokemon, Trace was my favorite ability of them all, but I really think we should leave that one to the Psychic Pokémon.

• I don't really see a problem with Mold Breaker, but if people say it's broken, then I guess I'll take their word for it.

• Another really cool option would be Quick Feet. People could try to sweep with Flame Orbs! :D

For the Smogimp:

• I think the clear choice here is Sand Veil with no second ability.

I wish we could have put in Arena trap, but that would be horribly broken. I suggest(all these are based on the daddy longlegs, btw):

Frisk - 8 hands to frisk pokemon with, makes perfect sense.

Iron Fist - 8 HUGE ASS FISTS. NUFF SAID.

Skill Link - I can see this thing punching you 5 times when using Arm Thrust, Double Slap, and/or Comet Punch (if we give it one of these).

Tangled Feet - I can see this tripping over its own legs quite well.

Flygon, Skill Link would be amazing with "Daddy Longlegs" to break subs....well, plausible.
I've been thinking and Adaptability+Frisk seems like a good idea.
Adaptability would help take advantage of possibly Gravity, and Frisk could be used with the high speed for scouting.
But...Adaptability could seem a bit unfair, as it would really hammer things hard with Earthquake after Gravity is in effect. Usual physical walls like Skarmory, Bronzong, Zapdos really take a toll on effectiveness.
Then again, that could be a great change to the metagame.

Intimidate for the imp and the snake and the gila
Sand veil for the daddy long legs
Trace for all of them
Auto Grav seems like it would be good, but it might need testing
Arena Trap may be pushing it, but it does seem like an extremely fitting ability for the daddy long legs

Frisk, Pick Up, Poison Point, and Tangled Feet would be appropriate for Daddy Long Legs.

Maybe even a new ability called Burrow, which functions the same as Suction Cups. Various creatures are known to burrow, including spiders. And refer to the second image of Daddy Long Legs in the sand to help you understand my idea if needed.

People seem quite against the idea of creating a new ability. But that doesn't have to be too far over the top. How about a Sp. Atting version of Intimidate. This will increase it's Walling ability and possibly force switches (On the Likes of Specs Mence) allowing i a turn to utilise moves such as gravity etc...

I think forewarn would be really good for a utility poke and it's currently a very under-used ability. It gives you the ability to instantly identify enemy's sets, is that a DD mence or a specs mence? Is that a chain chomp? Physical or special Lucario?

Plus I think forewarn would work well with most of the art put forth thus far (most of them look "mystical" enough to justify it).

Arena Trap+Gravity might be fun. They bring in Skarmory to stop us, on the switch we use Gravity. THey can't swtich out, and we have massive rape with earthquake.

Ill vote for
-Arena Trap
-Poison Heal
-Poison Point
-Unaware
-White Smoke

Out of the currently suggested, I'm liking Frisk, Oblivious/Tangled Feet and Early Bird.

No one seems to have mentioned Gluttony yet. I'm not sure how broken or not that would come out, but it seems to work on a few of the submissions so far flavour-wise.

I really hope the ones who suggested it will reconsider Sand Veil --- really, another Sand abuser? As if there wasn't enough sand already. I'm worried that giving it the ability will cause most people who use it on their teams to turn it into a Sand team so they're not "wasting its potential" as a Sand abuser.
Really, just say "no" to SV. :/

Since everyone seems to be thinking of abilities for Daddy McLongHands, I'll throw in my two cents. I think the abilities, klutz and tangled feet, fit best. Both are not overpowering but can be utilized effectively on a utility. Klutz (cheers to tennis) is brilliant as it enables CAP4 to burn, poison, cut speed, and screw with the opponent all with one move: TRICK! Tangled feet is a bit worse but allows for item usage and a beneficial but rarely activated boost.

On another note, Deciding on an ability is very hard right now as it is usually based solely on the pokemon's design/flavor.

That being said, I thought of some abilities that really fit with my meerkat-ninja hybrid. I can really see scrappy working on him. I mean he really looks scrappy. Ninjas can hit ghosts right? Also frisk seems to make perfect sense. A ninja would probably be an excellent thief and my dude looks a bit mischeivous (like he would fing out what item you have).

These abilities also don't really overpower this guy, but open up some very usable strategies for a utility poke.

Lemme suggest something not done before: Aside from the fact that it's looking as though this guy will be a little nasty in terms of base stats, I vouch for Tinted Lens and Damp.

Tinted Lens: Yes, poison types are generally polluted, and so their eye lenses may very well be tinted. This would also help it against things which would wall it, like Weezing and Skarmory who would be immune/resistant to his moves, and TL can help him become a pseudo-sweper as well that ignores resistances. Just think about it: EQ hitting Heracross and his kin for neutral...

Damp: Along the same lines that most poison types are generally slimy or nasty, why not also immune to nukes and stuff? With Damp active, those Bronzong and Gengar that enjoy blowing themselves up to eliminate a threat to the team will be screwed over royally, and this would also allow the use of more utility moves to screw them over.

And of course, one ability we all would associate with Poison types: Stench.

Why? Joke ability.

Just remember, we don't want broken abilities. Although if you do want a good offensive ability... make it not broken and vote for my spread. Thank you.

@Paradoxymoron: Uhh, don't you mean Guts? This CAP pokemon is going to have really high speed (for a defensive pokemon) anyways. Flame Orb+Quick Feet= insanely fast pokemon with no attack power. And that means a useless Earthquake.

Does anyone know whether Earthquake has 100% accuracy after Gravity if we decided to give the pokemon Hustle? I think it would be a good idea-provided that the accuracy of moves is restored.

Another good ability for this guy would be Dry Skin. It gives a good water resist while creating a slight fire weakness. Poison pokemon would be loaded with toxic substances and bacteria. Bacteria seem to thrive well with water and perish in fire, so it's not too farfetched. Especially with DJD's cool snake concept. Since it's in the desert, it would be safe to say that it has dry skin/scales.

"Dry Skin", is actually "Naturally dry so it has to be moisten, and live in wet places". Like a frog. Or a gekko. Or a salamander. An amphibian's skin, basically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)