CAP 3 CAP 3 - Part 7 (Art Selection Poll)

Which art should we use for our Pokemon?

• Elagune

Votes: 115 46.0%
  • Cartoons!

Votes: 72 28.8%
  • DougJustDoug

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • KoA

Votes: 17 6.8%
  • CyzirVisheen

Votes: 9 3.6%
  • pyrrhocorax

Votes: 13 5.2%
  • Moft

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Hazmat

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Blu

Votes: 9 3.6%
  • Nopie

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Woodman all the way! I have to say though it was a tough decision, and I'm surprised it isn't closer really between the first 5 that are listed.

Come on Aki, you're the one that needs to take a chill pill here.

To vote for any of these kind of hurts because the others are all so good, but I'm going with our wood robot. Sorry for all the others, I'm trying my best to get the whole process and everything else stored somewhere on the site for everyone to see, because these should not be forgotten about.

Karrot

plant
is a Past WCoP Champion
I am extremely disappointed that the Gentle Giant was not included within this poll.

Anyways, everybody seems to be voting on what seems "bulkier." I thought we established that appearance has nothing to do with neither type nor appearance?

That said, I am in complete support for Cartoon's stag (I think I like the fatter one, though, why wasn't it included instead of this one?). There's something about it, that seems almost mystical and enchanting, which attracts me to it more than Elagune's drawing. It may be because Elagune's looks too much like a Pokemon - and I have always labeled that "Pokemon-like" choice to be better suited for this project - but Cartoon's stag is so unique, and it stands out so much, in my opinion, compared to Elagune's.

No, don't tell me the stag looks like Shaymin, because Elagune's drawing can be comparable to that of Grovyle in wooden armor.

If Cartoon wishes to redraw it with a more Gamefreak-like, Pokemon outlook, I recommend he does so (if Gothic Togekiss disallow it, he should do it if his deer wins the voting).

It's been a while in this project since I voted for the underdog, but I am confident that Cartoon's drawing is what we were looking for in a Fire/Grass Pokemon.

P.S.: And I still haven't voted.

Wow! the Deer is truly amazing! *Save picture*
But it seems like a Digimon look-a-like is winning. :/
Though, Digimon and Pokemon are almost have the same drawings... ^^

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
i voted for CyzirVisheen cause it looked the best.

cartoons!, i dont suppose you were watching princess mononoke when you whipped that up were you? >_>

shame cartoons isn't gonna win still voting for it because it looks like a fire pokemon i would use

Voted for Woodman. Just love the way it looks.

Though I must say, I think this thread popped up too soon. The submission thread was only up three days, and I think in the process we had it set to go on for 5-7 days. If things needed to be moved along, why not do base stat spreads? Art can take days to make, spreads shouldn't.

I am extremely disappointed that the Gentle Giant was not included within this poll.
I could only choose one submission from artist. It was diffcult to choose when the creator of GG also have other pwnage creations.

No, don't tell me the stag looks like Shaymin, because Elagune's drawing can be comparable to that of Grovyle in wooden armor.
Everytime someone say Elk = Shaymin evo, I wondered if they're on crack or semi-blind.

If Cartoon wishes to redraw it with a more Gamefreak-like, Pokemon outlook, I recommend he does so (if Gothic Togekiss disallow it, he should do it if his deer wins the voting).
I would allow it, but to be fair I would also allow any or all artist that want to do the same, do it.

Though I must say, I think this thread popped up too soon. The submission thread was only up three days, and I think in the process we had it set to go on for 5-7 days. If things needed to be moved along, why not do base stat spreads? Art can take days to make, spreads shouldn't.
Aldaron asked me to give everyone more time to fine tune their stat spreads, though I think he wasn't expect this to pop up so soon too.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
My only real problem with Woodman (it's absolutely fantastic and doesn't look like a Digimon, it looks like Grovyle in armor as mentioned earlier) is that I can't see it getting Grass attacks beyond Energy Ball, Solarbeam, and Wood Hammer. Fair enough, its tail has a leaf on it, but is that enough to justify Power Whip and Vine Whip? I have no idea what Grass Knot would look like so I won't try to bring that up. But I also can't see it getting Razor Leaf or Leaf Storm simply because the only Grass element is the armor. It does seem like a perfect Sunny Beamer, though, so if that's what people want it's the perfect art for it.

More important, I can't see it Leech Seeding anything or using any of the Powders. It just doesn't have that grassiness to it. If Woodman is chosen, I think the movepool clearly aligns with a tanky sweeper and not much more.

My two cents, for what it's worth.

Edit: I suppose I should add in what I think does pull it off.

The Stag, of course, with its grassy body could easily shake out a Razor Leaf, Leaf Storm, or any of the Powders. Leech Seed is a bit of a stretch, but I definitely see it more there. The Stag can't really make a case for Vines unless we make the antlers into burning vines, but I think that takes away from the overall feel. The Stag also can't really pull off Wood Hammer, though it definitely can do Flare Blitz. The Stegosaurus also pulls off Razor Leaf and Leaf Storm, but I don't see any Powders emitting from it or any of the Vine attacks. Or Wood Hammer for that matter.

The Mexican looks great from a status inducing standpoint, but from an attacking I can't see it getting more than just Wood Hammer, really, unless beams shoot from its mouth or something. A lot of the other designs also fall short on the movepool sides harder than the others. Doug's is the only one that makes a convincing Whip argument and most of the other ones just have to stick with beam attacks.

BM, would it be silly to say that Torterra learn all those attacks and the only thing it has that say "GRASSS!!!!11!" is a small tree placed lopsidely on it's shell?

evan

Which ones? Wood Hammer is kinda silly but it has its big legs, so it gets a pass. Torterra doesn't get Power Whip (it does get Vine Whip which I don't see), Razor Leaf makes sense as trees are full of leaves, they could be very sharp! The powders can also come from shaking the tree.

My biggest issue with the Stag is that it is more a Grass/Fire than a Fire/Grass (same problem I have with Blu's which is fantastic, I just like the Stag better).

Karrot

plant
is a Past WCoP Champion
@ Gothic Togekiss
Yeah, I understand. It's just really saddening to see what I think was the perfect design for this Pokemon go to waste.

---

Link to the "Bulky Stag" design, because people still think the art has to equal the stats! (Since I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to.)

Yeah, Grovyle in armor doesn't seem like it would be able to pull off most of the attacks we want it to. I don't think its stopping most people from imagining, though.

The idea of an excellent sunnybeam user has been pushed down far below the recovery point, now, so I think that is out of the question.

Grass Knot doesn't even seem like it can be pulled off by either Pokemon (unless you have a wild imagination), but then again, Starmie gets it!

IIRC, Treeko/Grovyle/Sceptile launched Leech Seed from...wait, how did it use this again?! My only guess is it's launched from the mouth, but Grovyle in Armor doesn't really have a mouth...

Which ones? Wood Hammer is kinda silly but it has its big legs, so it gets a pass. Torterra doesn't get Power Whip (it does get Vine Whip which I don't see), Razor Leaf makes sense as trees are full of leaves, they could be very sharp! The powders can also come from shaking the tree.
Mostly those and Leech Seed. I just noticed that four pre-existing Pokemon make Leech Seed questionable in my belief.

evan

Trees have to reproduce somehow! I'm sure they drop seeds all over the place.

Trees have to reproduce somehow! I'm sure they drop seeds all over the place.
I know, but a seed producing leech seeds? I'm not sure that make little sense but I image them literally shooting themselves onto the opponent and acting all vampire on them.

IIRC, Treeko/Grovyle/Sceptile launched Leech Seed from...wait, how did it use this again?! My only guess is it's launched from the mouth, but Grovyle in Armor doesn't really have a mouth...
Woodman/GiA does have a mouth, and it could shoot it seed from his cannon, though I had this disturbing image of it shooting some Leech Seeds at such a high speeds that they're buried deep into the foe's flesh and then starting to wrap around vital organ and/or draining blood from them.

Voted Cartoons!, because it's awesome. I also got confused and thought this pokemon couldn't evolve from anything, or I would've voted Blu's, because it's very reminiscent of Venusaur in my opinion. Elagune's lizard thing is cool, but the wooden arms look too inorganic in my mind, and people often complain that some submissions look too much like Digimon. I'm complaining now.

I chose Elaqune

however I really do not think that Fire Deer thing cartoons made should go unused... perhaps we could use it in another cap project?

I chose Elaqune

however I really do not think that Fire Deer thing cartoons made should go unused... perhaps we could use it in another cap project?
lol I wish, but I think most of us know that the artworks that will not win will most likely end up being in the garbage because if we're going to have another CAP project, people would go for the newer, exciting designs as supposed to the old ones.

lol I wish, but I think most of us know that the artworks that will not win will most likely end up being in the garbage because if we're going to have another CAP project, people would go for the newer, exciting designs as supposed to the old ones.
Not if the new designs fail to compare to the old ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)