CAP 13 CAP 2 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well here's what I've whipped up really quick (And I mean REALLY quick). It's supposed to be a sort of bride-apple blossom mixture, I just wanted to post it to get some feedback, see if it was worth going in this direction or something else.

I'm unsure whether to go with this or another idea, any thoughts whether this is worth working on or scrapping?
I really like this concept. The dress could use some work, make it more haunted bride like, but I do love where you're starting.

However it'll take quite a bit to dethrone Doug. It could be a final submission, I love it.

I'm not sure if this image is showing up- I do everything from my iPod (including taking and viewing this picture).

Edit: I just found out this image doesn't work. Does anyone know if I can upload images from an iTouch?

Dougjustdoug
I love this art; simply fatastic on the concept side, though I just don't like her eyes. Would love it if maybe a little more color in her eyes, maybe shrinking the bottom half of her dark circles. Those are my only regrets with her. Simply fatastic.

TerraVolt
Love this concept, but the color scheme throws me off. Maybe more color contrast between the flower and the face.

LouisCyphre
Wondering on the color scheme of treant, love his arms the pinsirs are certainly sinister. But not sure about the stump on his chest.

Calad
Love your pumkin and onion desgin, but maybe the eyes could be red.

Puking Rainbows
ITS SO CUTE, and fits the concept. Looks bulky. Love IT.

Wow. So many good concepts. You guys are fantastic. Keep at it. <3

heres my rough idea for it

thinking about darkening the aura around it and work on the hands some more, also I'm thinking of keeping it without a mouth all together, it just doesnt seem to fit on him. For my first ever art submission for anything, let alone drawing something where I was big on how it looks, I surprised myself. Thoughts anyone?

Dougjustdoug inspired me to use masks, and the banana seems ghostly and nature-y at the same time :)

Comments? (Not final drawing, will most likely redo)

http://www.iaza.com/work/111127C/iaza17525641916300.jpg
http://www.iaza.com/work/111127C/iaza17525696506800.jpg
Sorry for the large pictures, but here is some rough sketches of my design. My thought process went as such. "Hmmm, paintbrushes and other art forms will be overused in this CAP. I will use..erm..SOCK PUPPETS." "Hmmm...there isn't an actual grass pokemon. I will MAKE ONE." And so, this became alive-ish.

Basically, it is an innocent patch of grass possessed by a malevolent sock puppet spirit. Yeah. Some questions, should I keep the grass-part innocent and terrified or should it be evil with the ghostly arms? What should be the sock-puppeted mon for my main design picture? Any comments and criticisms?

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Okay, here's what I've got for my concept so far.

My basic concept idea is based on Crop Circles - a pokemon that is nocturnal, quiet, mysterious.. it comes out only at night and methodically flattens tall stalks of grains and grasses into patterns. It has a blank expression and does not usually interact with other pokemon or people. Its consciousness seems to be elsewhere..

Right now the design is drawing on badger and porcupine characteristics, but I also want it to invoke cliche alien imagery. Its arms are supposed to be large and broad and built for flattening out tall grasses. Its legs and feet are supposed to be small and ghostlike for being able to move around silently through fields.

I am really open to changing this a lot (constrained by how much time I have though, which isn't much), so constructive feedback is greatly appreciated. I think it still needs lots of work.

Please see these pencil sketches too!

Asylum_Rhapsody

My basic concept idea is based on Crop Circles - a pokemon that is nocturnal, quiet, mysterious.. it comes out only at night and methodically flattens tall stalks of grains and grasses into patterns. It has a blank expression and does not usually interact with other pokemon or people. Its consciousness seems to be elsewhere..

Right now the design is drawing on badger and porcupine characteristics, but I also want it to invoke cliche alien imagery. Its arms are supposed to be large and broad and built for flattening out tall grasses. Its legs and feet are supposed to be small and ghostlike for being able to move around silently through fields.

I am really open to changing this a lot (constrained by how much time I have though, which isn't much), so constructive feedback is greatly appreciated. I think it still needs lots of work.

[ IMG ]

Please see these pencil sketches too!

[ IMG ]
I actually really dig this concept. But... Is there any way to make some sort of crop circle motif more obvious? You can sort of see it on its head in the final one that you colored, but I would like the final product a lot more if you could visibly play up the crop circles a bit more is all, like a lot of the other ones that you sketched. One thing that I do want to say that I like a lot though is the eyes, very alien-like... I have to wonder, though, whether crop circles are really Ghost-y or if they're more Psychic-y, given the association with aliens...

EDIT: Come to think of it, this is sort of the same problem that I have with Nastyjungle's. It's actually a very fantastic concept (paintseagull's more conceptually, Nastyjungle's more visually), a lot better than most in this thread in my opinion, but I just question whether it really fits the typing...

Ok, so I wanted to post a concept had in mind for a while but haven't really had a good idea on how to fo it until today, it's mean to represent nature, a little malicious side of it, the base was the sphynx cat (who in my opinion is one of the cuttest animals in the world), regarded as one of the creepiest animals on earth something that helps the idea of a ghost pokemon, still, as a grass pokemon she's meant to have grass fur (albeit a dark, dead one), but retaining the skeletic look, the scythe on the head is meant to be wood, and so is her spine, an with the flower/hand on the end of her tail it leads to a more "planty" look, but with it being unatached to the body, the extra pair of eyes, an her spine being expose being what makes her "dead"

It's still not done, and any feedback is welcome, I still think there's a lot that can be done to make her look a little more like a grass pokemon but without having to use stuff like flowers (even dead one I think remove some of the creepiness this design has/tries to achieve)

I think this is a great idea! A refreshingly new take on the ghost typing. Like Asylum_Rhapsody said though, I think the crop circle theme should definitely be emphasized a bit more. Here's a few suggestions:

• Reduce the 'furriness' quite a bit. Although it's thematically fitting for a Grass-type, it detracts from the crop circle theme--the 'mon's back is a great canvas for drawing patterns. Don't remove the fur completely, but make it more like a fringe/edge effect rather than the dominant feature.
  • Make the face have a clear, noticeable pattern, preferably in colors that fit the type. I really like the full-face view in the lower right corner of your pencil sketches (two rings arcing over/behind the eyes, centered on the ears, with another line/ring over the face).
  • Carefully select your colors here. You'll probably want three clean, distinct colors: the body overall, the 'crop circle' patterns, and the eyes. Remember that palettes on sprites are limited; don't be afraid to use appropriate colors, but be aware that there may need to be some simplification if it gets turned into a sprite.
  • I really like the badger-y shape (works with the concept, and doesn't really tread over any current 'mons), and particularly like the eyes--they convey a 'greys'/'little green men' look. I definitely recommend that you keep both! I'm not so big on the 'porcupine' aspect, seems like trying to go for badger, porcupine, and alien/crop circle/ghost will pull the design too many directions at once. Keep it simple, I think.
  • And as always, remember that these are just suggestions. I'm not an artist myself, and you should never stick with a change/suggestion that doesn't produce results you like.
Anyway, hope these help. Love your concept, can't wait to see what it looks like as a finished product!

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Um

Well what I was going for was something along the lines of "It can transmute its ectoplasm into other substances, based on those it has seen before". Or something like that. Hence why its "hands" are different shapes, depending on what it happens to want to be doing. In the last one, I can see Crush Grip, Cut, and maybe the paintbrush-end is a bit Sketch-like, depends how others see it really. Ideally I'd see the plasma body "sketching" the motion or shape of the move it seeks to replicate before it changes shape in order to use it.

Honestly though I don't think that anything short of actually slapping a paintbrush onto your design is going to make the Sketch part of the design "fit in" in the same way that Smeargle's does, when there's enough competition already for Grass/Ghost motifs - Doug's been extremely clever with his, but it's so far removed from blitheness it's almost reached the realm of incomprehension. But his is probably the best that's going to come along on that front.
I just had a thought, perhaps you could change the fingers on the design to the color of Smeargle's tail? The connection between fingerpainting and Sketch isn't perfect, but in my opinion, it is better that the changing body.

alright, this is what I have as my first idea, its based off of a carnivorous plant (Audrey Jr.) and I'm not sure if its gonna be my final one. I think the color scheme brings out a slightly ghostly feeling. The leaves on it's 'chest' are supposed to resemble paintbrush tips because I want there to be a resemblance to sketch, but not an overwhelming one.

A lot of people said it was lame or boring or cliche or whatever, but I figured I might as well give it a try.

It's mainly based on Jack-O-Lanterns. The light is created by the ectoplasmic energy that it stores within its body, which it secreted through it's vines as liquid energy that it recreates moves and attacks with (Sketch, yup).

I also figured I'd make it nice and simple since a lot of people like to overcomplicate things.

So when I heard the concept was Grass/Ghost, I wanted to do something with a Slime. They've always seemed very ghostly to me, all transparent and ectoplasmic. And the ability to shapeshift would, I felt, be a good match for the Sketch concept. We've already got a slug 'mon, so I thought a snail would be a good pick (Magcargo doesn't count. Magcargo never counts). Anyway, here's the concept and a few suggestions for what it'd look like using certain moves.

It's based partially on the Lime Snail, which is pretty much the cutest snail on the face of the planet. Besides, I figured it'd be nice to have a cute option next to all the ghostly horrors. :P

aight so i got a rough idea for a design i think

VERY rough idea mind you
basically just a rattlesnake with a slightly skeletal face and i tried to make the tail sort of trail off into a wisp rather than a rattle
not sure what else i can do with it aside from color and maybe more complex patterns hah

also wanted to mention my favorite designs so far

dougjustdoug: GOODNESS your art is always so stunning and neat i love it. i think it's a really cool design but i don't see much grassiness in it aside from the cloak's color, and when you take away the cloak it looks a bit too similar to Gothitelle but that's probably just me. maybe make the cloak more fern-like?

rittercat: not sure what i think of the design for a true CAPmon itself but GOODNESS it looks cute and i can see the typing there which is also good

energy storm: raaaaadical. i really like the wispiness of it and how the bamboo is split in half. at the same time, it doesn't really look like a pokemon to me. adding a touch of life to it (even if it is a ghost) and making it more toon-ish (i'm using a lot of ish-es aren't i) would help out a bit

calad: i am in love with both of your ideas and executions! but for your second concept it looks really bright, and the only ghosty feel i get from it is the wisp coming from the top of its body.

paintseagull: EXTREME CUTE although i don't see much of the crop circle feel coming from it like asylum_rhapsody said. plus it looks a bit like a grassy Sandslash. less fur and more fun with the patterns perhaps.

now that i think about it almost all of these submissions are looking awesome so there's definitely going to be some competition this time around!

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Reposting proper in here for much needed feedback.

Grass/Ghost was a sexy typing like I said, but the key was Sketch. I had to think of a way the pokemon could 'use' the moves somehow.

This is the first one I settled down with. I tried for something more oriental; she's a spirit medium or shrine maiden ghost/carnivorus plant hybrid.

Some of you could think it could just be my excuse to enter a humanshape again. It probably is, but I really wanted a shrine maiden pokemon of some sort. Flavour would include her channeling the respective move but that depends on how far this one goes. What i need help with is to make her look less frosslass cloned, less human-like and more pokemon-like and more shrine maiden-like.

Here's the second one I settled down with. I'm not too confident about this one as everyone who I showed it to asked 'what the heck is this thing' but the moment I told them it's based off the bleeding heart flower and a mirror they went 'oh'.

I going for more of an evil 'peers into your soul' feel with this guy, at the same time something slightly... 'court' and royal.

Leaning towards the second one now, though. Feedback is much appreciated :)

I'm not sure if this image is showing up- I do everything from my iPod (including taking and viewing this picture).

Edit: I just found out this image doesn't work. Does anyone know if I can upload images from an iTouch?
You have to insert the images into a photobucket (make one if you dont have one), copy the url, and do the image thingy here. Hope I helped:toast:

Puking_rainbow's second design and djd's are my favorites by faaaaar. I really like the sketch incorperation of p_r's, though djd's just screams that its solid allt he way around (except, being a spectar and all).

I'm not new here, though I've only made an account recently... Anyway, I wanna know if this is decent or if it's too cute... I have a tendency to draw stuff like that... I wanna know before I color it and all...

The scythe on it's tail is rotatable. Not based on anything in particular. It was originally had crosses signifying tombstones instead of scythes, but I've since decided this looks better.

Oh, and as for Yilx, that's quite nice. in terms of improvement I believe the first one needs less "lilligance" (more spikes or appendages or something, IDK) and less anime-style humanness; more like the second design. I guess the second design needs less queen of hearts/Harley Quinn, and more all knowing heart of Yggdrasil.

Either way, they are great.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus

Revised my design.

The "sketch" portion doesn't really need to be emphasized in the design, so I got rid of it. On the otherhand, CAP2 will be a physical sweeper no matter what, so I made it look physically stronger. Other than that, I'm still playing around with designs for the mask. Something that looks cool, but wouldn't be too detailed to translate into sprite form.

Comments are appreciated. I'll be going to bed since it's almost 3 AM...

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
All of the concepts look so awesome =D! I s'pose it's time I throw my hat into the ring. I'm looking for any feedback I can get, so thanks for reading! So here's what I'm thinking for CAP2:

I've been shooting a bit more organic CAP2 design, mainly some sort of fauna rather than flora. My inspiration came from looking for a creature that is often forgotten and is becoming extinct within the world. Gorillas are on the critically endangered list (super sad), so it fit that "fading" look that I'm going for that I feel represents a Ghost-type well. I imagine that his face is more of a skull or a mask than anything else. Also, the teeth are kind of menacing, yet cute! Since we're going bulky offense, I wanted a base idea that naturally has some weight to through around, yet still looks threatening.

The faded-purple liquid running through its clear armbands is actually ink! I would prefer if the liquid was more clear looking, so I'll try to work on that in future designs. I'd like to imagine that this gorilla eats berries that provide fluid into its armbands (Grass-type playing into the design). Although the liquid is clear to humans (the sprites would all look the same), each gorilla is uniquely colored to the species, which eases identification. So that's where my next image comes into play:

Cave Painting Gorilla

I have also always been fascinated with cave paintings, and I feel that CAP2 has the perfect mold to work with this kind of medium. The juices that it digests from berries flows into its armbands and then into its toes and fingers. So my design actually finger paints on cave walls! Now, since the ink is invisible to humans and other Pokemon, the cave paintings are unable to be seen. However, this species can see each others' artwork. And not only that, they paint their history upon cave walls to past down for future generations. This quick sketch eats pale blue berries (apparently), so it contributes to the history of lush forests by painting the skyline. It's kind of ironically sad if you think about it; all of the time put into a painting that no one will see, especially if the species is on the brink of extinction.

Gorilla Faces

And here's just a few quick facial doodles! I like to think that this 'mon uses its "ghastly powers" to utilize Sketch. Its gaping eye holes can see the spirits of other Pokemon and learns their moves by looking into their soul (eek!). It can then utilize the move through the limitless potential of the ink in its hands and toes. I'll add quite a few more doodles as time progresses (I'd consider pose requests if you're looking for a different angle). Thanks for reading! Again, any feedback is appreciated.

Hi. CAP lurker here. First post as well, yay. The art submission part of a CAP project has always been my fave part to lurk, and I've always had an image in mind for a Grass/Ghost Pokemon, but this CAP gives me an actual reason to try and draw it, lol. Mind you, I am -far- from being a good artist like some of the consistent winners here, but hey, might as well try. And I do have GIMP, so I may as well use it for something

This is a very -very- rough artwork of my idea. The concept is that it is a whole ton of leaves and grassy things picked up by a ghostly tornado like being, or maybe the leaves being the tornado thing itself. Either way, the way I imagined it it would have creepy eyes and visible leaves and things spinning around it all the time, but I honestly couldn't figure out how to draw good eyes or leaves, so I just coloured it green xD The side tornados are meant to be hands - I couldn't figure out what a ghostly leaf tornado would have for hands, if any, so I just drew mini tornados.

I realise there are some probably with the concept (besides the horrific art) that could be fixed. As mentioned earlier, it was suggested that the thing look like it fit into a field/ground egg group. I suppose you could write off that a Tornado is always somehow contacting the ground. There's also the issue that as a tornado it would probably be better as a Flying type. I tried to remedy this by giving it eyes which weren't natural and the typical disembodied hands, but hopefully it still appears somewhat ghost like. By the way, those aren't meant to be vines on the bottom - when I was reading a tutorial on how to draw a tornado, it had the clouds at the bottom, and in hindsight I forgot about them, lol.

Another concern I had with this thing (I haven't named yet) is that it is pretty much a Leaf Tornado, an established move. If this Pokemon were to use that (I don't know why since it could easily Sketch something better, lol), would it be destroying itself? Absorbing an enemy? I figured either way that would be kind of a twisted take on the move anyway, pretty ghostly.

Now for the stats and sketch justification - it's a tornado, so I'd assume it's pretty bulky and good with defensive. And as well all know, these things can and will cause a lot of destruction, be it by blowing things (direct) or lifting and throwing objects (non-direct), so I assumed that from the stat limits

PS: 175 (Excellent)
SS: 150 (Good)
PT: 165 (Very Good)
ST: 160 (Very Good)

That a tornado would generally have very good defensive and physical destruction power. As for how it can Sketch - I decided that as a haunted leafy tornado, it would probably be able to absorb an attack and throw it right back out.

I am obviously going to try do a better version (since I've never really drawn a tornado, let alone a Pokemon design before), but I'd like to know whether I should keep this Pokemon with plain colouring to represent the blurring of leaves, try and make the leaves direct, give up or if anyone has any other ideas for improvement.

By the way, I'm loving bugmaniacbob, DougJustDoug, and Calad's second design so far, but there are heaps of other good concepts here.

EDIT: I really your concept, Birkal. In my opinion, I think that you could make the skull/mask a bit more distinguishable, but I can't really say if it should look more solid or such. Also, those supplement faces are adorable :D

Asylum_Rhapsody

So when I heard the concept was Grass/Ghost, I wanted to do something with a Slime. They've always seemed very ghostly to me, all transparent and ectoplasmic. And the ability to shapeshift would, I felt, be a good match for the Sketch concept. We've already got a slug 'mon, so I thought a snail would be a good pick (Magcargo doesn't count. Magcargo never counts). Anyway, here's the concept and a few suggestions for what it'd look like using certain moves.

[ IMG ]

It's based partially on the Lime Snail, which is pretty much the cutest snail on the face of the planet. Besides, I figured it'd be nice to have a cute option next to all the ghostly horrors. :P
I wasn't sure what you were going for with this at first, but the more I look at it, the more I like it. You put a lot of work into this, and it shows. I must say that I especially love the artwork of it changing shape to use Bulk Up and such, and I think it's cute how it's little mustache/face-hands or whatever they are add so much to its expression! As a design, I definitely love it, and I can't think of a single thing that you could do to improve it except for maybe playing around with coloring options or something. However, other than the green color, I'm not seeing anything here that really makes me thing "Grass-type", and I get the slime idea, but if you hadn't said it, then I wouldn't see how this is very "Ghost-type". It's unfortunate, but my only criticism of this design is that it doesn't quite look like it fits Sketchy's typing.

Definitely a work in progress, but I've been working with root vegetables and iconic ghost characters. This is what I'm toying around with at the moment, I'd appreciate feedback:

Principle problem is it doesn't look like much of a physical attacker at the moment, but I might try to develop along those lines. Its roots can come apart and extend, like tentacles.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/walruskeeper/CAP2Draft1.jpg

Some action images that help give a sense of what I'm going for. The idea is that it can use its tuber tentacles to generate all sorts of attacks, and this is what gives it its Sketch-based versatility.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/walruskeeper/Cap2DraftAction1.jpg

First image is using Shadow Ball - standard Ghost type of thing, whether it gets it or not.

Second image is how it'd use sketch - and obviously how it would use all sorts of other attacks as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)