CAP 13 CAP 2 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
A final art submission consists of two things: a main design and supporting material. A main design is the only required element of a final art submission; supporting material is optional. Note that all material in both the main design and supporting material must be your own. Using another piece of art for inspiration is allowed, but blatant plagiarism will result in warnings or bans depending on the severity.

Main Design

The main design is intended to follow the same general posing and layout as the "Official Art" for existing in-game Pokemon. The main design is the definitive design for a given Pokemon and should be suitable for display in the CAP PokeDex section of the CAP Website and any other CAP propaganda where a picture of the Pokemon is needed. The comparison to 'Official Pokemon Art' is only applicable to the basic content of the main design; it does not imply any standards or guidelines regarding artistic style or rendering technique.

The following rules of content must be followed for the main design:

• It must consist of a single Pokemon on a plain white background with no parts of the Pokemon cut off by the canvas.
  • No props, action effects, move effects, or additional objects can be rendered on or around the Pokemon. If a prop is part of the Pokemon's basic design (ie. Conkeldurr's pillars), then it is acceptable.
  • Any 2D digital or scanned traditional drawing may be used. It must be in full color. 3D media and photos are not allowed.
  • It must have a distinguishable outline on the entire subject in contrast to the background. No part of the design can be blurred into the background or blended into the background in any way.
  • The maximum allowed size is 640x640 and the minimum allowed size of 320x320.
  • It must be in a compressed digital format such as .png or .jpg.

The rules for main designs will be strictly enforced. Do not make comparisons to in-game Pokemon designs or to past CAP designs to determine if your design is in compliance with these rules. Some in-game Pokemon designs and past CAP designs do not conform with the current CAP art submission rules, and emulating those designs is not an acceptable excuse for breaking the strict interpretation of the current rules.

Supporting Material

While the rules for the main design are somewhat rigid, there are almost no rules when it comes to supporting material. Action scenes, movement studies, interaction with other Pokemon, animations, sculptures, and cartoon strips are all allowed. Virtually any supporting material you can think of is allowed, though keep it tasteful. Non-art supporting material is also allowed. This includes detailed descriptions of the art, background data, stories, etc. All supporting art and information must be related to the main design in some way. This rule is intended to prevent artists from posting unrelated art in an effort to gain more attention or promote other designs or artworks.

Final Submission Post

All artists must make a final submission post in order to be considered for the art poll. The post must be titled "Final Submission". The post should have the Main Design at the top, and supporting material (if applicable) below it. All supporting art must be included as links or as linked thumbnails no larger than 150x150. Do not include full images of supporting art in the final submission. Only make one (1) final submission post. Artists are welcome to work on multiple designs and get feedback from the community, but only one design can be submitted for final consideration. If you wish to alter any aspect of your final submission, then edit your post. Do not make a new one, even if you delete your original post. Any deleting and reposting will be treated as bumping and is subject to moderation.

General Posting Rules

• Artists can post any work-in-progress (WIP) artwork in order to solicit feedback or to help develop ideas. WIP artwork does not need to conform to the standards of a Main Design. It can be in any medium or stage of completion, but it must be related to an original art design by the poster.
  • Do not spam the thread with excessive amounts of artwork over a short period of time. Apparently, some artists think they will improve their chances in the poll if they overload the submission thread with their artwork. Doing so will result in your posts being moderated.
  • Do not post inconsequential "updates" to previously posted art. Only if you have made a significant change and have not posted art recently can you post an update in the thread.
  • No post can contain more than 800x800 pixels of included art, and no single picture can be larger than 640x640. Past those limits, artists should post links to the additional art or use linking thumbnails. Each thumbnail can be no larger than 150x150. Any number of thumbnails can be included in a post, even if it passes the limit. All art must be in a compressed digital format.
  • Do not post to state your intended design. Such posts are a weak attempt to "reserve" an idea, and serve no constructive purpose.
  • Do not post images to serve as inspiration for artists or attempt to commission an artist in the thread to do your idea. This isn't an idea thread. It's fine for artists to post their own inspiration as supporting material.
  • No bumping or begging, especially for feedback. If your design is any good, people will comment on it. If your design gets no feedback, then your design is not very good. Consider the silence to be your feedback.
  • Do not declare any artwork as "the winner" or say that anything "is clearly going to win". It's fine to post praise or support for an artwork, but don't make a statement indicating the results of a poll that has not been conducted. Such posts are insulting to all the other competing artists.
  • Do not post that a design does or does not "look like a Pokemon/Digimon". Such comments are unable to be substantiated or refuted. There is no artistic style guide for Pokemon, so don't act like you know what a Pokemon should look like. If you like or dislike a design, that's fine, just say that.
  • Do not ask when this thread will close. CAP threads do not follow a set timetable. If you want to know the overall sequence of events in a CAP then go to the CAP website and read the process guide.
  • Do not post questions asking for help in making art. This isn't a tutorial thread.

Art Polls

All art polls will contain the main design and, if applicable, a link below it titled "Supporting Material". This will link to the artists final submission post. If the final submission contains no significant supporting material, then no link will be included in the poll below the main design. Art submissions for the art poll will be selected in a manner to be determined by the topic leader. There is no process for overturning the topic leader's decision. If you are not comfortable with this stipulation, then do not make an art submission. Do not post any complaints here or in later threads.

tl;dr: Q— Quack! (I— I'm totally Dusk, really!)

tennisedit: See my post below, but please do not quote images unless you are pointing out something specific. People can see the original artist's post regardless.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
YEEEEAH let's go

Based on the titan arum flower, also known as the "corpse plant". So, reasonably good choice for a Grass/Ghost 'mon.

(It is also known as the "giant misshapen phallus flower", but nothing's perfect)

Here are four different renditions of the idea I'm considering. Basically a Ghost trapped inside the big plant, which can manipulate its plasma-body to control the vines/leaves/etc, as well as change its body plasma to any material of its choosing. Hence, Sketch.

Not sure how much stuff I should have going on in the picture since atm it's looking a bit, well, overburdened with stuff. Ideas are helpful here.

It seems to me that Dusk would never stammer with his Quacks, being so wonderfully skilled at them :l this thread arouses suspicion.

In any case, good luck to everyone! Try not to worry too much about incorporating 'Sketch' into the design!

bugmaniacbob's giant misshapen phallus flower makes me horny. Is our flower's spirit guest formed from the awesome stench? ;) perhaps he could be darker.

Yeah, I'm a terrible artist so I'll just comment on everyone else's designs.
Please don't infract me for insulting my own art :/
So that I don't threadhog, I'll edit all my comments into this post.

@Bugmaniacbob- like the basis for your design. A corpse plant possessed by a ghost? Winning.

@Ralts- I like the way you stayed away from the ghost stereotype (of disembodied limbs). Your design reminds me a bit of Shedinja and the way looking inside the hole on its back sucks out your soul

@DougJustDoug- Interesting interpretation of the concept. I also like the idea of this pokemon having a Gardevoir-like design in CAP.

@Katakiri-I like the concept (carving faces on itself) but it seems a little impractical. If you're willing to do 289 different sprites for this mon (578 if you do gender differences) or find somebody willing to do it, I guess that's fine, and it would be really unique.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Actually bob I think the ghostly grass tendrils in the first photo are great, and you should actually put the mon's eyes on the flower instead of having its neck and those floating eyes stick up. If you made the three tendrils a bit more upright (kinda like Ferrothorn's barbs, though more circular since its more of a shot from above than forward) and made the ghostly aura more tightly surround the stamen, I think it would be a pretty cool effect.

This is a quick sketch of my submission; I have never been in an art poll before and have barely started using paint so... any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

He's a mushrom with a skull cap; his arms are leaf-like protrusions with plasma inside covering the two vines. The fingers are thorns, and the crack of the skull has extra vines coming out showing that underneath it is a bundle of wrapped roots kind of like a tangela, but underneath the skull where you can't see it.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I call this design "Weeping Willow", and the theme is a sad grande dame actress of silent films. She is immortalized as a weeping willow tree and eternally mourns for her lost art and her faded beauty. She holds her golden masks of Comedy and Tragedy, as a reminder of her days of acting fame and fortune. She is a visage of her movies in stark black and white, and she can only weep in silence, unable to make a sound...

I have a full backstory for this little lady, and I will elaborate more later. But most of all, I really wanted to make a distinctly female design. I have long wanted to see us do a true female design on CAP -- like Gardevoir or Jinx in the real game -- and on several past CAPs I have tried to come up with a female design, but nothing ever really clicked for me.

On this CAP, I was trying to think of a female ghost design and started pondering over the idea of faded beauty and past glory. Very quickly I started thinking of Gloria Swanson in Sunset Boulevard, and I thought of a crying old silent film actress. That led me to thinking of a weeping willow tree, which I quickly imagined as the extravagant coat or cape of a grande dame, and it fits the Grass typing wonderfully. The actress theme also perfectly tied into the whole Sketch thing, so I knew I was onto something that might work. Finally I came up with a notion of eerie eyes. Eyes that evoked dual imagery of heavy mascara smeared by crying, and the wide open glare that comes from taut skin of plastic surgery in a vain attempt to maintain the appearance of youth. Yeah, I know it's kinda twisted, but that's how I roll.

I tried to wrap it all up in a cute package, because this is still Pokemon, after all. I hope you like the results.

Damn Doug, very nice. You managed to make the design sophisticated, clever and humanoid without being cluttered, and it all looks extremely natural.

I'll try to get something in later today, good luck e'eryone.

I was totally working on this the minute the typing was confirmed.

Now, I bet you all are wondering what the **** this thing is supposed to be. Well, it's a rotten, undead Uglifruit. I'll explain the mythos behind it later. This is what Uglifruits look like, for reference:

Yes, the splotchy effects for the body and the 'noise' on the eyes and mouth are intentional. Now that I have Paint.net, I can do tons of cool stuff!

But I digress. Please critique my work, hereafter known as Uglimon.

EDIT: I just got Ninja'd by three people, then saw Doug's art, and turned greener than my drawing in envy.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
I actually put a lot of thought into this one.

By using Sketch, it carves faces on itself.

The right...arm...pumpkin face represents it's Sketch move. In this case, it's Dragon Dance which gives it a Dragon-type face with a blueish-purple glow.

The left represents it's Hidden Power, which for this case is HP Poison giving it a sort of Weezing-ish face & a purple glow.

"Rape face pumpkin...it's a Rapekin! D:"

Asylum_Rhapsody

DougJustDoug, I love Weeping Willow. She's beautiful and brilliant! I was sort of concerned that all of the art was going to be of jack-o-lanterns* or feel very forces otherwise, but that concern has officially been alleviated.

I do have one minor (hopefully constructive) critique, though, Doug. Aren't the white parts on the masks (the eyes and mouths) supposed to be holes? Because if so, then shouldn't we be able to see through them? By that I mean, shouldn't we be able to see the green willow leaves behind her through them?

Otherwise, I'd also like to say that I really like how you only very tangentially incorporated the concept of Sketch. Weeping Willow is definitely an artist, but she's a performance artist, so while Sketch shouldn't be found on her normal move list, it makes great sense as an egg move.

*Not that jack-o-lanterns are bad or anything, they're cool! It would just be a bit disappointing to me to see a thread full of variations on that single concept is all.

This is a spirit panda

Basically I had some really cliche haunted tree which I didn't really like so I asked my friend if he had any ideas. Jokingly he said Spirit Panda which I really liked so I developed it from there. Maybe it could be a bit more grassy

Well... here's a rough idea for my design:

It's based off the 'ghost plant', which leeches off other plants to get chlorophyll
and also off shrunken heads.

Thoughts?

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Yay, art thread is up.
Here's mine:

Based on a Tiki mask, a haunted Pokemon made of wood and leaves that lives deep in the rainforests of exotic islands. They use the leaves on the ends of their arms like paintbrushes to design and color various patterns on their masks.

Now tiki masks come in all sorts of different shapes, sizes, and colors, so there's a lot of room for experimentation with this concept especially with the stat and ability polls coming up to move this CAP in a more specific direction.

Finally, I've been waiting for this thread xD
Anyways, I've been lurking on Smogon for a while and joined during this past summer. I've always been interested in CAP, but it seems like I always miss the art submission parts of every one that I have lurked around. Anyways, this time I've been keeping up with the project and I have a design that I would like to show you all.
I realize that it is way too small, but this image started as a sketch but I ended up deciding to practice shading, etc., since I already had some lineart.

Right now I'm working on my final submission, which has a few detail changes. For example, I made the petals more petal like (not as wavy), because right now they look like pink leaves to me, and when you look at the petals of a flower they aren't as wavy. I also added two smaller petals, as well as an extra vine because I can't really decide between three or four; the number usually just depends on the sketch I am currently working on. I'm also considering making the middle part a more brown color instead of so dark because I can hardly see the evil grin it has.

Now, some back story for how I came to this design. At first I wanted to try something from nature that isn't obviously grass, but could be Pokemon-ized into Grass/Ghost. I settled on a ghost shrimp, which are also called grass and glass shrimp because their skin is transparent and they appear to be 'ghosts' in the water. I started a rough sketch and soon noticed how similar it looked to Krillowatt. That is when I decided to scrap that idea. I was at a loss of ideas, when I thought of a fake Gloom evo I drew a while back. It basically looked like a Gloom body with petals and vines like they are in my current drawing. I think I intended the Gloom evo to be Grass/Fire or something, but I decided I would use the petal idea to create a Grass/Ghost. It didn't take long for me to come up with the current idea. It is basically a 'haunted' seed, which is surrounded by the petals and the vines which ominously float around it. Then I added the ghostly wisps to tie it all together, as well as to ensure that it looked to be both Ghost and Grass type.

I envision this idea to be in a three stage line, starting with a 'haunted' seed with magically ghostly powers, then evolving into a seed with buds floating around it that would eventually evolve into the flower-esque design that I have now.

For the sketch theme, I thought that perhaps the buds on the tips of the fines could sprout into flowers that could wield whichever move had been sketched. I was thinking that possibly the color of the flower was related to the type of the move that had been sketched (for example, red would be fire, blue would be water, etc.).

Anyways, that is how I came to my current submission-in-the-works. I would really enjoy some c+c about anything, including design and colors, etc!

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
strong start, cap 2!

really like the idea of a tiki mask, ab

it isn't look too much like it at all, but since the design looks to be in an early stage i'll just say for the sake of it -- perhaps try to get the body away from looking too much like exeggutor? this might be achieved just by doing something slightly different with the legs or w/e

anyway i really like it, just trying to pre-empt possible criticisms!

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Attempt deux (already)

New head (one as part of the plant, though I think I prefer the separate-possessing ghost thing more), changed "arm" positions.

Critiques appreciated.

Yeah, mine is a pumpkin-y one. Not exactly the most unique and my art ain't top notch either, but here we go

The basic concept is the main body of the Pokemon belongs in the head pumpkin, like a little slimey sluggy thing, which can control the bigger "body" of the Pokemon to perform various tasks, such as offence (I can see it swinging the head like a weapon) or defence. Comes from areas like the headless horseman and beheadings in general, though for some reason I can imagine a Hamlet scene playing out too...I've an odd mind.

I call this design "Weeping Willow", and the theme is a sad grande dame actress of silent films. She is immortalized as a weeping willow tree and eternally mourns for her lost art and her faded beauty. She holds her golden masks of Comedy and Tragedy, as a reminder of her days of acting fame and fortune. She is a visage of her movies in stark black and white, and she can only weep in silence, unable to make a sound...

IMAGE REDACTED

I have a full backstory for this little lady, and I will elaborate more later. But most of all, I really wanted to make a distinctly female design. I have long wanted to see us do a true female design on CAP -- like Gardevoir or Jinx in the real game -- and on several past CAPs I have tried to come up with a female design, but nothing ever really clicked for me.

On this CAP, I was trying to think of a female ghost design and started pondering over the idea of faded beauty and past glory. Very quickly I started thinking of Gloria Swanson in Sunset Boulevard, and I thought of a crying old silent film actress. That led me to thinking of a weeping willow tree, which I quickly imagined as the extravagant coat or cape of a grande dame, and it fits the Grass typing wonderfully. The actress theme also perfectly tied into the whole Sketch thing, so I knew I was onto something that might work. Finally I came up with a notion of eerie eyes. Eyes that evoked dual imagery of heavy mascara smeared by crying, and the wide open glare that comes from taut skin of plastic surgery in a vain attempt to maintain the appearance of youth. Yeah, I know it's kinda twisted, but that's how I roll.

I tried to wrap it all up in a cute package, because this is still Pokemon, after all. I hope you like the results.
Doug, how do you make these drawings look like real pokemon! I feel like I just saw an original Ken Sugimori drawing. What program do you use? It looks awesome!

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Attempt deux (already)

New head (one as part of the plant, though I think I prefer the separate-possessing ghost thing more), changed "arm" positions.

Critiques appreciated.
Awesome. The third look is what I was suggesting earlier, though if you want a more sinister look, make the eyes open sideways instead of the traditional up/down. That's always good for scare value, and actually works since its parallel with the plant structure, and you could make "peapods" if you thought it appropriate. Awesome work BMB.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Guys can we please not quote images, they clog up the thread a ton. If you're going to quote the images please make sure you're pointing out something very specific you want to draw attention to. Otherwise, when you quote, people can already link back to the original post. Thanks!

Attempt deux (already)

Critiques appreciated.
The third one looks like Victreebell's and Reuniclus' lovechild. Although it is my favourite of the three, nice job!

edit: These designs dont look very "ghostly" to me, i dont have any useful ideas just yet but keep it in mind.

bugmaniacbob, i LOVE your concept. It's definately my favorite atm, the plant is one that makes tons of flavor sense with the typing, and the design is awesome. I'm not partial to the third drawing, because the eyes on the plant makes less sense, to me it seems like the ghost part should be the one with eyes. I like the drawing in the middle. But on the top leaf that is supposed to be a paintbrush (right?), it looks a bit phallus shaped, so that's my only concern. Otherwise, keep improving it, looks great!

edit: actually, the third drawing is the best. i changed my mind and like the eyes on the bottom more. And they would look better if they opened sideways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)