CAP 10 CAP 10 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually Poppants, since the shrimp's main body is supposed to be pink, I think using Magikarp as a reference might not be the smartest of moves. One of these pokemon might be a better idea. You do seem to be right about the shading though - it looks pillowed.
Yeah, my bad. I was just trying to generally show that, though- didn't really have color in mind.

Okay! Right, so!

Experimenting with colors. And I'm not gonna lie, now I'm really starting to like it. Or, at least, not hate it. Which is pretty big for me. It's a bit orange, but those colors seem to mesh better than any other I've tried. I might make it a little redder later, seeing as it's hardly red or pink, but I'm actually somewhat proud of this.

Hopefully I won't have to edit the front sprite too much more. Then I can either start over or mess with the old backsprite (thinking more and more of starting over, looking at it), and then I can get to the shinies and genders and all that nice stuff.

And for shits and giggles:

Shellos colors~

EDIT:

Genders + Shinies current progress

Well, i've cleaned up my original submission. This is going to have to be wrapped up quickly due to absence on my part. Hopefully it's okay.

I like a lot of what I see.
Wyverii: I only see one antenna. Two would be better.
The yellow trim on the shell-edges don't go all the way around, but the blue on your shiny does.
I don't particularly care for your shiny. They kinda remind me of those old Wildberry Pop-Tarts. You'd think that'd be a good thing, but I guess these seem muted in comparison. Edit: Nevermind, they're growing on me.

I really like the way Chaoscrippler's looks. The posing is great and I like how the claws could be a gender difference.

Final Submission

Male Normal-Male Shiny- Female Normal- Female Shiny
Back Normal-Back Shiny

I'm not going to have time to work on this guy anymore with the end of the semester coming up, so here's my finished product. Only two backsprites because the gender differences aren't visible on that sprite, so separte sprites would be unnecessary.

love it darth, really represents the stat spread in the way the original art didn't. also the quality of the sprite matches hg/ss pretty well.

Still working! Here's what I have at the moment:

Touched up the front sprites, and made them match the original drawing proportion-wise a bit more. Still playing with them a bit, so I haven't redone the shinies yet. To be honest, I just picked the black and red because it's a cool color scheme, so I'll try and put a bit more thought into it the next time I try and make some.

After lots and lots of retouching and redrawing and ridiculous amounts of anti-aliasing:

Pretty okay at the moment. Much better than last time, at least. No idea what I was thinking on that one. It still needs a bit of touching up, but I like the feel of it a whole lot more.

Also, hot damn!

Love all you guys' submissions. Not sure which one I'm going to vote for, actually, when the poll comes around. Love the pose on yours, Wyverii, and the shading looks really nice. Really love your backsprite, Chaos, it's definitely one of my favorites (if not the favorite), and the claw gender separation is a neat idea. And I'm really digging the feel of Darth's sprites, too, it looks pretty professional. Not to mention the shiny colors are fantastic.

It's pretty awesome that everyone's contributing so much to the project. Can't wait for the end result, seriously.

(and everyone's probably going to kill me with it on shoddy)

the back sprite has a realy fat body XD try to make it less fat, and dont have the lanturn feelers ut off, it wont work in a cap...:D like the differences in gender though...

[almost done with transparentising my front and backsprites which I finaly got done ^_^]

Thanks for the advice on the backsprite, guys! Definitely going to do so. Wasn't sure if they were allowed to cut off on the left or not, before. I thought I'd seen some sprites, that did, but I went back and checked, and yup, I was wrong.

And it is a bit on the fat side at the moment. Definitely fixing that, too. :P

Also, awesome sprites. I feel like I'm saying that too much, now, but...really, though. Everyone's doing a great job! Kudos, seriously.

Just my thoughts. My favorite design overall was Chaos' because it gave an authentic 4th gen. pokemon visual, with a unique interpretation, notably the pincers. However, for the best color scheme Doran dominated with his shiny sprite. It really looks natural. However, that color scheme wouldn't work on Chaos' anyway, and Doran's sprite have that "3rd gen retro" look, which many people forget about. I think everyone did great =)

I've been kinda hanging back for the most part in recent days because it seems that most all of you are just putting on your finishing touches and making your final submissions. In other words, there hasn't been much for me to say.

But anyways, on with the next set of reviews...

@ Poopants

It's probably a good thing that you've come in a little late to the party: I can focus more on commenting and critiquing on yours.

I like that the pose on your front sprite has some action to it. It also has a good color scheme and even fits in pretty well with my own personal size preferences. The black and red shiny coloration looks fine to me. The Shellos coloration could also be considered for a shiny coloration if you feel that you must change the shiny coloration.

That backsprite... needs work. While the current one is ten time better than the previous one, it can be improved even more. I second Sticky's remark about the sprite being cut off at the side and Doran Dragon's statement about it looking fat, first of all. I should also add that the snout is too pointy and probably shouldn't be curved up quite as much as it currently is. I'd simply say play around with that more and these problems might resolve themselves on their own.

Another important thing I noticed is in regards to the front sprite: the antanea are a bit too jagged. I would suggest that you make the kink in them more curved and less angular. Also, the antanae are too thick in poportion to the rest of the sprite: one or (maybe) two pixels should be sufficent. Look at the antenea on Wyverii's or Cartoons!'s sprites, as those are good examples of what I'm talking about.

Overall, your sprites are definately comming along. There are just some tweeks that you need to do to make these sprites even better.

@ Wyverii

If you have to work fast, just remember that you shouldn't sacrifce quality for speed. Not that you need to worry about that with your sprite. The sprites themselves are quite lovely (your pixel art in general is anyway). I also love the shiny coloration you have picked out for this set of sprites.

I do have to point out, though, that it appears that your sprites of Krilowatt are lacking one of the two antanea. I don't know if that's simply because the front sprites are incomplete or what the deal there is, but I just can't keep silent about that one.

Either way, I am excited to see the backsprites.

---

As always, great work, everyone. It looks to me like competition in the polls between these sprites will be tight.

yeah, doran, i love your design overall, but the eyes should really stand out a little in a krill shrimp thing.

Hey kids, when are the sprite submissions closing? I'm tied up with college work and wanna know if I'll have time to make my backsprite.

It will not close until the movepool polls are closed at the very least. That won't be for another few (~2) days. BEEJ may also hold off on closing this submission thread until the movepool is fully voted and chosen, which would push it back another ~2 days. (I recommend BEEJ does this, since there aren't many final submssions here yet)

That gives you roughly, in the best case, 4 days to go before this closes.

Final submission

i'm very glad about this work.

in order: male normal-female normal-male shiny-female shiny
back normal-back shiny

hope you like it.

Not really Doran Dragon. The eyes still blend in too much with the body. I'd say the colour of the eyes should be much paler than that of the main body rather than darker.

is this better?

Male
Shiny
Female
Shiny
Back
Shiny
Female Back
Shiny
I think that you are over doing it on the shades. Most pokemon sprites only have 2 levels of shading with some basic highlights. Too many makes it look choppy and doesn't feel like a pokemon sprite, but more like a SNES FF sprite.

Yep, doran, for the non shiny eyes I'd have to suggest an VERY pale yellow not far off white. The eyes really need to contrast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)