CAP 10 CAP 10 - Main Typing Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I originally heard this concept, the idea for Normal was the first to go into my mind, but with the prevalence of Infernape and Lucario, two extremely hard hitting users of Close Combat, I'm going to suggest Ice or Psychic.

The main reason I chose Ice is that it hits hard on nearly everything, with the only pokemon that have double resistances being Heatran and Empoleon. Both of these could be effectively countered with a Fighting type attack, such as Aura Sphere.

Psychic, however, has seen better days. Since GSC onward, the psychic type has lessened in use dramatically, with the OU Psychic types being Azelf, Metagross, Starmie, Latias, Jirachi, and Celebi. All have their niches, but none is especially good at being a counter for everything: Azelf is mostly a lead, Metagross needs an agility to sweep efficiently, and Celebi has the grass type as well, and all the weaknesses that come with it. Of the remaining, Starmie comes the closest to being a "Utility Counter," but its limited movepool only allows for Bolt/Beam/Surf and one other move.

I believe that the Psychic type has tremendous potential. The only types that resist it are Dark, Steel and other Psychic types, while it is only weak to Bug (with a limited movepool), Dark (again, limited movepool) and Psychic. Because of this, the Psychic type is the perfect choice for the Utility Counter, as it can be extremely deadly due to a powerful STAB and a movepool capable of countering its weaknesses.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Fighting is not nearly as good as it is made out to be.

Consider what Fighting has difficulty hitting and you can see why:

Ghosts: Rotom-A relishes in switching in on Fighting attacks, as does Gengar. While there are other ways to address these pokemon, Fightings appeal as an offensive STAB makes it the most likely initial option. What we end up with is another pokemon that tries to hit hard with Fighting attacks rather than actually countering anything.

Flying pokemon: Gyarados and Salamence come up the biggest here. Resistance and Intimidate make anything but Aura Sphere incredibly weak against them.

Psychics: Most of the common Steel pokemon are neutral to Fighting, and Fighting's best move, Close Combat, opens CAP10 to all forms of offense. Close Combat is a terrible move for this concept, lowering the defenses we have stated this CAP needs to function properly. The most famous Psychic of all is of course, Latias. Fighting/Dark as a combo has been thoroughly explored by Machamp, who is good, but the lack of useful resistances to anything but Rock bring it down. I don't think Fighting's overall niche works for the concept. It's good for countering Tyranitar but not much else. Furthermore since people will convert sets in anticipation, expect to see a lot more Psychic and Zen Headbutt flying about.

Psychic and Flying are only rare now because there aren't much use for them. Many, many pokemon have access to Psychic attacks because in standard OU there is no impetus to use them. We've seen how easily CAP converts Metagross and Jirachi into ZH users, and they aren't bad moves for the mons anyway.

I'm not so worried about Pursuit. What is going to viably Pursuit? Tyranitar and Scizor are the two things that come to mind, and both have terrible 4x weaks. On anything but a very fast mon Scarftar is an issue, but otherwise it will have to deal with Superpower and Scizor with Flamethrower. Moreover you can use this to your advantage and we could give CAP10 Counter, at which point it will only be taking 80 or so BP (if SE) instead of 160. There are many ways to punish Pursuit's low BP when opponents don't switch. It might even be advisable to lure it. (Tar will always be a crapshoot because of its unholy power, but eh).

??? isn't actually an existent type. Nobody knows how it performs against other types in terms of weaknesses and resistances.
Making a new type would be a LOT of hassle, plus I'm not sure if Shoddy Battle supports that.
Not at all true- Struggle is also the ??? type, as no Pokemon receives STAB from it... plus I've rom-hacked before. Also, (I haven't tested it in 4th gen, but I have in 3rd) if Kecleon is hit by Struggle, it becomes the ??? type (assuming no glitches or anything occurred, that is...)

I think it's safe to say ??? is a legit type...

either fire or poison, each of these resist a status that could cripple this CAP
even though poisoning is more common than burn, burn weakens your attack, and that would truely cripple it's use. this CAP must reach it's full potential as a utility counter, y'know... come to think of it... electric could help aswell, resisting paralyzation... this seems to be quite the connumdrom... well, we shall see... (0)_(0)

Not at all true- Struggle is also the ??? type, as no Pokemon receives STAB from it... plus I've rom-hacked before. Also, (I haven't tested it in 4th gen, but I have in 3rd) if Kecleon is hit by Struggle, it becomes the ??? type (assuming no glitches or anything occurred, that is...)

I think it's safe to say ??? is a legit type...
The problem being that the implementation of such a type would require way to much work, as nothing is known about it. We don't know what types effect it, don't effect it, how it hits, ANYTHING about it. A ??? typed pokemon would require a massive amount of work, and it seems like another attempt at slipping by with a loophole: Multitype was banned for a reason, as should ???.

Edit: Also, to the above poster, Electric isn't immune to Paralysis.

I personally think that something the metagame doesn't have much of would be a good plan. A bug type could make things interesting, though it may also add the need of abilities and a second type. Bug pokemon have a nice resistance fighting and ground moves, good stab coverage, and a tendency towards status moves; all usable qualities, it just needs to deal with rock and fire types. Electric and grass are also worth looking into.

I am going for the poison type. It is a type that, outside of gengar, sees very little use in OU due to being a relatively poor attacking type. However, CAP 10 is a utility counter, where resistances and few weaknesses are ideal. The poison type has only two weaknesses, which are psychic (not very common) and ground, although the latter can be a problem. To eliminate this, you have three main choices can give it levitate, make it part flying type, or add a type that resists ground. (bad idea as both have too many weaknesses) A problem with levitate that many people are complaining about is that it locks in the ability. But what's keeping us from adding another ability? Depending on the type, it would probably be something that eliminates another weakness. This would end up making it like a psuedo-bronzong. Now, for reisistances, it has two very useful ones to bug (u-turn) and fighting (CC from infernape and lucario). If we make it flying type, we could add an ability that halves entry hazard damage. Lack of good STAB is a concern, but its actually only resisted by 4 types and has one immunity to it. This may sound bad, but look at fire. It is resisted by 4 types and is absorbed by Heatran, a threat in the current metagame. It is also resisted by all dragons in OU, gyara, tyranitar, etc. I think it would make an OK STAB for a utility pokemon.

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
When I originally heard this concept, the idea for Normal was the first to go into my mind, but with the prevalence of Infernape and Lucario, two extremely hard hitting users of Close Combat, I'm going to suggest Ice or Psychic.

The main reason I chose Ice is that it hits hard on nearly everything, with the only pokemon that have double resistances being Heatran and Empoleon. Both of these could be effectively countered with a Fighting type attack, such as Aura Sphere.

Psychic, however, has seen better days. Since GSC onward, the psychic type has lessened in use dramatically, with the OU Psychic types being Azelf, Metagross, Starmie, Latias, Jirachi, and Celebi. All have their niches, but none is especially good at being a counter for everything: Azelf is mostly a lead, Metagross needs an agility to sweep efficiently, and Celebi has the grass type as well, and all the weaknesses that come with it. Of the remaining, Starmie comes the closest to being a "Utility Counter," but its limited movepool only allows for Bolt/Beam/Surf and one other move.

I believe that the Psychic type has tremendous potential. The only types that resist it are Dark, Steel and other Psychic types, while it is only weak to Bug (with a limited movepool), Dark (again, limited movepool) and Psychic. Because of this, the Psychic type is the perfect choice for the Utility Counter, as it can be extremely deadly due to a powerful STAB and a movepool capable of countering its weaknesses.
Psychic resists Psychic. Psychic is weak to Bug, Dark, and Ghost. I'd like to note that the top 10 pokemon (+ Rotom) in standard play: Scizor, Tyranitar, Salamence, Heatran, Latias, Rotom-A, Gyarados, Jirachi, Metagross, Gengar, Swampert.

4 of the ten pokemon carry a super-effective STAB move on Psychic: Gengar, Tyranitar, Scizor, and Rotom-A. 6 of 10 resist Psychic, and only 3 of 10 pokemon neither resist Psychic nor carry a super-effective STAB move.

When you say that Psychic will be good because it'll be deadly with STAB and a huge movepool to counter weaknesses, I can assume you mean huge offensive-wise, maybe Alakazam-esque with T-Bolt, Psychic, Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Energy Ball, and more? That's more of a sweeper than a utility counter. When we want a utility counter, you want a big movepool with support, not offensive things. iirc reachzero even said he discouraged anything with a good offensive prowess.

There isn't much to go on that hasn't been previously mentioned, but again, I'm going to mention Electric.

This isn't because of a mighty amount of resistances, which can now be generated onto a Pkmn artificially or with additional typing at leisure. Electric has one single, damning weakness, and the only ones to resist said weakness are Zapdos and Rotom, both of which have EQ immunity justifying their positions in the OU sector. And that's pretty much my point - due to their simple immunity to one of the most wide-spread moves in the metagame, these Pokemon have been used initially as STAB T-bolt users. After that, yes - they evolved into their own states now, but initially, I believe that's why most people used them.

Apart from that, Electric Pokemon resist their own typing and Steel, or in other words - Thunderbolt and Bullet Punch, both of which are annoying, and one or the other will be found on all but the most different of teams. The fact that Electric types have both Motor Drive and Volt Absorb going for them gives them immunity to Electric-based paralyzation, not including Static. Not game-damning, but a Thunder Wave hitting you at the wrong time can leave any Pokemon dead in it's tracks, due to almost certainly moving last, bar priority-ignoring moves and the fastest Pkmn, as well as a chance of their move not working at all.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
To be honest, I agree though that while Normal has no "resistances", it is a Normal Pokemon which holds up the bar for being any good at being a "Wall-mon", and Blissey's ability is Natural Cure, which gives her resistance towards status effects, and a wooley one at that. Big deal - it's weak to Fighting and immune to Ghost, and has nothing else going for it...

Normal types also, generally speaking, have the largest and most diverse movesets (Smeargle), the strangest Stats (Slaking having higher Base Stats than Arceus, while Blissey easily outmatches others in HP) and finally, a wide range of abilities. Thick Fat, Vital Spirit and Immunity being just three of them - offering resistance to Fire/Ice; immunity to sleep; and immunity to poisoning respectively.

It's not the biggest, most loved typing in the world, but the point is that it is a Normal Pokemon who still has one of the largest influences on the metagame - even Gengar, a dedicated Special Sweeper, sometimes run SubPunch solely in fear of Blissey, which frankly is enough to disturb my thoughts on the wacky Ghost-type.

In counterbalance, Steel is a dedicated resist-all type, offering Poisoning immunity, but I could do that with a Poison type or the ability Immunity. It has exploitable weaknesses which really can only ever have one stopped, maybe two with the right type combination. Still, all three types (Fire/Ground/Fighting) are found often enough in teams to possibly warrent a high-Speed stat in order to stop them from hitting. Or so much bulk we then have to take away some offensive ability, leaving us at square one again.

Note the possibly - it isn't the final judgement on the Steel type, it's just that as a mediocre trainer who often plays fairly gimmick-based or simply underused OUs, I easily run all three types on at least one Pokemon on my team, often two, and find it simple to take advantage of that fact.

DarkSlay

Guess who's back? Na na na! *breakdances*
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Hey. I'm not deeply involved in the CAP metagame (yet), but I'd like to add my two cents about the main typing.

I strongly support Electric and Poison as the primary type, with my vote going to Electric. To me, when you think of creating a Pokemon that's designed to come in and successfully take a hit from a number of threats, you need to start out with a typing that has very few weaknesses, and then later build around that typing to increase resistances (through abilities, secondary typing, and whatnot). While it's nice to immediately come in and start thinking of types that offer a lot of resistances (Steel and Water, for instance), I believe that we should start talking about resistances once we have a general idea on what our Pokemon should be resisting to counter its main typing to make it successful. That is, we should decide on what the main typing is first, then decide what we need to add to make the resistances work. Electric and Poison offer the greatest neutral coverage defensively, with Electric having one weakness and a small amount of resistances, and Poision having two weaknesses (albeit one is uncommon as an attack).

Electric has one weakness to Ground, obviously, and a small slew of resistances to thinks like Steel, Electric, and Flying. That's a really good starting point for a defensively-minded Pokemon. While it only has two useful resistances, we can tack on more during the secondary typing and ability sessions. Electric is resisted by Dragon (albeit most have a secondary Flying or Water type, though), Electric, and Grass, and Ground is immune. That's pretty decent neutral coverage offensively as well, and fifteen of the top 20 threats of the OU metagame take neutral or better damage from Elecric attacks (16 if Latias is voted Uber, assuming the 21st takes neutral). While not as important as its defenses, it does allow it to have some sort of attack to support itself instead of it relying on non-STAB moves to deal damage across a broad spectrum (like Swampert's lack of a Water attack on its most used set). Access to Thunderwave (as most Electric types do) might also help it reduce the offensive threats in the metagame that it can potentially counter. While Earthquake is one of the, if not the, most common moves in the metagame, this can easily be alleviated in the next few rounds of discussion. And, while Earthquake is common, its also one of the easiest moves to counter with a whole team through switching, which is a valid point considering this Pokemon seems to be designed to do multiple switching throughout the battle. Also realize that access to Electric STAB will give this Pokemon a chance at beating traditional Stall teams who run Bulky Waters like Suicune and Skarmory. Remember that this Pokemon will balance the metagame by countering all kinds of threats, both offensively and defensively. I feel that the Electric typing is a good mold to start with. It's something new (very rarely is a Defensive Electric type used save for Zapdos, who is one-dimensional defensively) and unexpected to the metagame itself. I think starting with Electric will be a lot of fun.

Poison gets my second nod, and its much in the same vein as Electric. Two weaknesses in Ground and Psychic, with one rarely being used. Resistances to Grass, Fighting, and Poison. While that might not sound stellar, the Poison typing gets the bonus of absorbing Toxic and Toxic Spikes laid out, which is huge for Defensive Pokemon. The only reason this is not as great as Electric is the fact that its Poison-based movepool won't exactly have good coverage at all, and there are few good attack choices for it except Cross Poison on things like Drapion who can abuse the Crits. You can argue Toxic, but remember that a lot of Pokemon who aren't even close to Poison Pokemon have access to Toxic (Articuno? Empoleon? Electivire?), so the Poison typing is not necessary for that point. I would rather see this as the secondary typing for what's chosen already.

Normal, Fighting, and Ghost typing all are good choices for neutrality as well. However, I see one major flaw: today's metagame is designed to counter Ghosts and Fighting types with opposing Ghost and resisting types, with almost every team carrying a Ghost to counter Fighting attacks, a Steel to resist Normal and Ghost, and things like Pursuit Tyranitar for Ghost and weaker Normals. To me, since these typings are played against each other in such a way already, I believe that it might hinder this Pokemon's usage after the initial switch. It will then become either set-up bait or Pursuit weak (in the case of Ghost), which ruins the point of this Pokemon. A Secondary typing can alleviate this, but even so, I have almost no doubt in my mind that this Pokemon will simply fall into the same rhythm of "switch in to counter, switch out because of counter" kind of strategy because of the roles that Ghosts/Fighting/Normal types play. I believe we're aiming for a Pokemon that is not initially countered by any one Pokemon, but countered by all Pokemon depending on its moveset. This makes it unpredictable, but effective. Getting rid of this kind of rhythm is essential for this Pokemon to succeed.

Now, the same can be said for Electric with Ground types and Poison with Steel types, but here's the difference: because we are preparing to alleviate certain weaknesses of the initial typing, these typings have the ability to use an ability or a move (Levitate, Magnet Rise, etc.) to help this. I personally believe it's harder to find better pairings with the Normal/Fighting/Dark/Ghost/Psychic sets, and they don't really have moves or abilities that help their weaknesses from the start. Look at Ghost/Normal: sure, it gets rid of two weaknesses and keeps only one in Dark, but offensively, Normal and Ghost are polar opposites, as there is no real Normal Special Attack outside of Hyper Beam, and no real Ghost Physical Attack outside of Shadow Claw. Furthermore, it would fall prey to Steel types easily, who will be barely affected by anything thrown at it looking at the type pairing. No Toxic, no nothing. Steel is also one of the major types we're trying to counter, with things like Scizor, Forretress, Jirachi, Skarmory, and Empoleon in the OU environment. Now, look at something like Electric: let's make an Electric/Poison type. Boom: we can give it access to Levitate, thus giving it quite a few resistances and only one weakness. How about Electric/Grass? It removes the Ground and Flying weaknesses and trades it for two 2x weaknesses to Fire and Bug. You now have also given it a way to hit Ground types for STAB. See what I mean? The fact of the matter is, the Ghost/Fighting metagame is way too common, and we don't want this Poke to fall under the same kind of flow.

Water is always a good choice, but I find that a lot of teams now have easy counters to such "bulky Waters" nowadays, like Latias, Vaporeon, Blissey, Zapdos, Jolteon, etc. I just can't shake he feeling that we're just going to see another same old Bulky Water emerge. Whether this is bad or not is the question, but I personally am looking for a creative edge. The same goes for Steel: will it just be used for its resistances? A lot of things are built to ruin Steels too, like Infernape and Magnezone. I just don't want this Poke to fall for the same tactics in the current metagame, y'know? I wouldn't be mad, and its still good typing for resistances. I just think we would potentially see the same things we already see in the metagame with this typing.

As for abilities (to respond to the other discussion in the thread culminating), Levitate is always the best way at removing entry hazards (huge for switching purposes) and alleviating Ground weaknesses. However, I fear that may be too broken, as it automatically gives the Poke an instant immunity to its only weakness AND removes the point of Spikes. Another possible choice could be something like Filter or Solid Rock. This would help reduce the need for neutrality by a small margin, and promote a wide range of possible Pokemon this guy can counter safely. However, I'll wait until we're at the Abilities section to discuss this further.

The problem being that the implementation of such a type would require way to much work, as nothing is known about it. We don't know what types effect it, don't effect it, how it hits, ANYTHING about it. A ??? typed pokemon would require a massive amount of work, and it seems like another attempt at slipping by with a loophole: Multitype was banned for a reason, as should ???.

Edit: Also, to the above poster, Electric isn't immune to Paralysis.
I'm pretty sure ???? is hit neutral by everything and hits everything neutrally.

Im gonna go with Fuzznips idea and vote for Water as it is quite possibly the most versatile typing out there. Water provides weakness to only 2 types, while being resistant to 4 important types makes it really balance
With Water as the main type, CAP10 would be able to go both, defensively and offensively, as most Water also have a nice bulk, which make their opportunities to switch in bigger, I have always considered Water as the best type in the game for Bulky Pokemons and thus really think a defensive minded Pokemon such as CAP10 should have it as its main typing

Man a lot has changed since I was last on here.

Anyway, I think this thread could benefit by remembering the original concept. We need to try and create a poke that has enough versatility in its moves, switch-in capabilities, blocks, counters, abilities, etc. to be able to be customized to each person's wants or needs on their team. AKA a 6th slot filler for that one other poke that needs countering.

Many of the types that have been mentioned can do a few of the above things, but some of them are so versatile that they may end up restricting the customability (is that a word?) of this poke. Steel is one of those types: With so many resistances, were basically forcing a defensive stat spread on this poke, or else risk an overpowered sweeper. If we give it balanced stats with a steel type, it will just end up being used as a wall of a tank every time.

Thats why I believe the water and electric are the two best types (in that order) for the primary type. Each one has the least weaknesses and resistances, allowing this poke to switch in on key turns/attacks that are common in the metagame. Other pokes with these types also have some of the most balanced stat spreads in the metagame, with pokes ranging from walls to tanks to sweepers and even supporters. This will allow the poke to have more cutomization without being forced into the "steel-wall/tank" niche or the "fighting-sweeper/tank" niche.

All in all, I think water and electric are the best types to fit this theme.

I am throwing my support behind Poison. It's a interesting typing with some cool resistances that we have yet to fully explore. It hits 12/17 types for at least neutral damage, and we can pick a nice secondary typing to cover a few more. It's immune to Toxic, and absorbs Toxic Spikes.

Thinking on it Ice is also a very interesting type. It's been somewhat forgotten due to four crippling weaknesses, but it's great move to have STAB on. As an attacking type Ice will OHKO most Dragon types not holding a Yache Berry. It's also one of two types that hit Zapdos for Super Effective damage. Gliscor doesn't stand a chance against a STABed Ice move.

I am suggesting Poison. It only has two weaknesses - ground and psychic. There aren't many offensive psychic moves around, and ground could be taken care of easily with good team support. Poison also absorbs toxic spikes.

I would like to raise one point about Water despite it still being my top choice.

Water + defensively bulky + versatile + counter many Pokemon = Arghonaut?

Obviously we will differentiate, but I feel if we do go Water, we do have many more limits and competition points (Suicune, Vaporeon, etc) to build around. Even Empoleon or Tentacruel or Starmie, to a degree, can be defensive with good offense and take advantage of their typing to switch in frequently.

However, I see this as an opportunity. We have a lot of blueprints with which to build a Water based Utility Counter. Perhaps this will limit creativity, but I feel we can truly build the most effective Pokemon in this way.

I would like to raise one point about Water despite it still being my top choice.

Water + defensively bulky + versatile + counter many Pokemon = Arghonaut?

Obviously we will differentiate, but I feel if we do go Water, we do have many more limits and competition points (Suicune, Vaporeon, etc) to build around. Even Empoleon or Tentacruel or Starmie, to a degree, can be defensive with good offense and take advantage of their typing to switch in frequently.

However, I see this as an opportunity. We have a lot of blueprints with which to build a Water based Utility Counter. Perhaps this will limit creativity, but I feel we can truly build the most effective Pokemon in this way.
I think the thing that will differentiate this poke from arghonaut is that this poke will counter specific pokemon or types of pokemon, not just be a lot of pokemon. But yea water is a good blueprint

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Stop talking about ???-type it's totally irrelevant.

Ice is also a terrible typing all around. It's a good offensive type, sure, but is it worth all the weaknesses and only a single resistance? I think not. The only OU Ice-type is Mamoswine. There's a reason for that. Even with a rock-resistant secondary type, we'd be relying entirely on that type for the resistances of the Pokemon that are so vital to its success. Ice resists only Ice, a simply atrocious circumstance for a Pokemon centered around countering.

Vader said:
The only OU Ice-type is Mamoswine
There are actually two, the other being Weavile. Still, though, I agree that Ice is a terrible type to actually have - especially on something that has to switch in a lot and supposedly counter things.

"Bulky Water that can counter a lot of different Pokemon" has already been done to death, and we do not need to explore it further. From Arghonaut, we already know the effects of introducing another Bulky Water into the metagame. We don't need to test that again. Instead, Electric is the best type for CAP10. With an Electric type, CAP10 would be able to avoid having many weaknesses, only having a single weakness that is aviodable with Levitate. With no weaknesses, and also few resistances, CAP10 would be able to counter Pokemon more equally rather than being limited or helped by its typing.

I'm going to go with Dark but only with the intent of having the second type be Ghost. Having no weaknesses will be key

Not if CAP10 is faster. (Not difficult to manage, and ScarfZone won't use Magnet Rise) Furthermore, because of the likelihood for defensive stats and good coverage, nothing Magnezone can do should really put the hurt on CAP10. It can then retaliate against Magnezone in some way, killing it for having the audacity to switch into CAP10 in the first place. I wouldn't worry about it at all.
Which requires CAP10 always carrying a super effective move (excluding Shed Shell from this) or quite a strong (probably STAB) special attack.
Anyways, if you're so worried about trapping, that makes Levitate or Flying-type mandatory, as then you'd also have to deal with Dugtrio. I feel that as long as CAP10 is bulky enough and has the proper resistances and neutralities, these trapping threats will be of no concern. If Levitate is an option for an ability and the user forgoes it, then I presume the weakness to Dugtrio will be a healthy thing to keep the CAP10 in line.
Dugtrio isn't OU though, so we shouldn't be worrying about it. I just feel that if people are worried about Pursuit weakness, then trapping by Magnezone should be taken into consideration too.
This isn't much of an issue. Magnezone was on less than 10% of teams in January. And also if this is going to be a utility counter it's probably going to need to run a decent amount of speed. Magnezone's rather slow, and since it will always be switching in on you, rather than the other way around (assuming it's even a little bit of an issue), you'll probably be able to quake it before it gets off magnet rise. Assuming CAP10 gets EQ.
Why do you assume Magnezone will always switch in on you? It could be a ScarfZone waiting to revenge kill. And again, your logic assumes you have Earthquake on the moveset, which would probably not be true.

Perhaps it's just that trapping is an underemployed strategy anyway would mean this isn't much of an issue, but I'm really just trying to get people to avoid making yet another Steel in a Steel-infested metagame. Sure CAP10 will have a new niche, but it can have that niche regardless of type. Maybe I'm just too biased against Steel.

Why do you assume Magnezone will always switch in on you? It could be a ScarfZone waiting to revenge kill. And again, your logic assumes you have Earthquake on the moveset, which would probably not be true.

Perhaps it's just that trapping is an underemployed strategy anyway would mean this isn't much of an issue, but I'm really just trying to get people to avoid making yet another Steel in a Steel-infested metagame. Sure CAP10 will have a new niche, but it can have that niche regardless of type. Maybe I'm just too biased against Steel.
Um, if it's revenge killing you won't it be switching in on you?

And besides, if it revenge kills you that means you killed something first. Meaning that this concept, utility counter, achieved its goal.

The fact that there are a lot of steel types is not a reason to not make CAP10 a steel type.

Although, for the record, I support electric.

Despite the fact that it's been used before, I think Water would be a typing to build off of-- it has relatively few, not very common weaknesses, and is neutral to SR, Earthquake, and Pursuit.

I also like what BMB said, and I'd like to advocate his typing as well. A Water-Electric or Water-Poison type with Levitate could be interesting, but come to think of it, there already exist Pokemon within those typings. =\ Hmm. I guess an Electric-Poison type would be the best in terms of originality, like Seizen said. Giving it something like Motor Drive (and possibly the obvious choice of Levitate) could be cool too, and I think it could still use that ability despite the 4x Ground weakness. Because what would be the fun if it just resisted that obvious weakness? =0 In my opinion, that's part of why Syclant is interesting... tap it with a Rock move and it dies, but it still manages to be useful despite that.

Poison would be another good defensive type to build off of.... but there are already levitating Poison-types, and I can't think of too many other immunizing abilities that would work on a poison-type, except maybe Water Absorb. =\ Hmm. But then, there's the fact that there's been no CAP Poison-type to date, so there's the originality factor too.

I have to go with water. It has fire and ice resist along with a nice resistance to bullet punch. It has great neutral coverage. Secondary typing or an ability can be used to help cover its to weaknesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)