Your Top 10 Favourite Songs of All Time

Story of my Life- Social Distortion - Favorite song, simply great and anyone can indulge in relating to the lyrics.

Warriors Code- Dropkick Murphys - Very easy to get fired up listening to this, turn it on when you go to the gym.

A Growing Boy Needs His Lunch- Dead Kennedys - I like a ton of Dead Kennedys songs purely for the message they get across and Jello Biafra's passion, but the grungy beat here is great.

Kickstart My Heart- Motley Crue

One more time- Daft Punk

Police Truck- Dead Kennedys

Rawhide- Dead Kennedys - Skip to 1:40 if you don't wanna see them dicking around. Lol'd when I loaded this video and a One Direction ad came up for it.

Wheels- Foo Fighters - I've never felt bad listening to this.

For Reasons Unknown- The Killers - Cool song about the times when everything starts clicking and you catch fire, and how suddenly they come and go.

This is Your Life- The Killers

If I didn't say anything about them I just really like the music and / or the message. It's hard for me to describe what they do for me as complete works of art.

Honorable mentions-

Thunderball bond theme
Only 17 by Rucka Rucka Ali
Holiday in Cambodia- Dead Kennedys - Too good a video for the song not to post.

Love Bond themes and Rucka Rucka Ali so had to represent them here. Bond themes are Bond themes. If you didn't know Rucka takes shitty pop songs and makes them funny with stereotypes (in pictures and lyrics) that everyone's seen at some point. The MVP Baseball 2005 soundtrack was also great as a whole so it gets a mention too.

1. kukui - 空蝉ノ影 (Utsusemi no Kage, Shadow of a Cicada Shell) [link]
No other song that I've heard has encompassed everything that I look for in music as well as this one. Shimotsuki Haruka's vocals are nothing short of amazing, and in conjuction with the melody, the choir and instruments, it all works together to create a song that brings a chill to my spine every single time. The lyrics are haunting and sad, but not sad in a desperate way - they're sad but they show hope. While they are metaphorical, they're still relatable. It's full of contrasts, and it's a perfect balance of sorrow and hope, of feelings that are ethereal yet tactible. I just love everything about this song.

2. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Hysteric [link]
This one reminds me a lot of Utsusemi no Kage in the sense that everything comes together to create a musical experience so full of emotions. To me it sounds like a complete song, in the sense that it has a message and delivers it in a flawless way. It's a song that feels really fulfilling to listen. It's beautiful, and it's also a very special song to me because it's full of meaning and memories. I actually considered putting it in first place, because those two songs really have everything I love about music.

3. 霜月はるか - life (Shimotsuki Haruka) [link]
Out of the entire list, this is definitely the most emotional one for me. Following the same pattern as the two above, this song is just a combination of many things that make music so significant to me. As always, Shimotsuki Haruka is able to convey the song's feelings with such emotion, and the lyrics are so beautiful I can't help but get overwhelmed. I relate a lot to them, and they feel motivational and full of hope. It's a remarkable song that is also full of memories to me.

4. 妖精帝國 - Weiβ Flugel (Yousei Teikoku - White Wing) [link]
I know this is might be getting repetitive but I just love songs which are full of feelings and that can express those feelings really strongly through the vocals and instruments. And Weiβ Flugel is another one which does that perfectly. Yui's soft voice is in constant contrast to the heavy instruments but they work together flawlessly in harmony. They're able to blend together and become a stronge surge of feelings. I also feel it's a good representation of the best Yousei Teikoku has to offer, so it's a very fitting song to represent one of my favourite bands in this list.

5. 坂本真綾 - 光あれ (Sakamoto Maaya - Hikari Are, Let There Be Light) [link]
Still on the same page, Hikari Are is just full of feeling and it does an amazing job of conveying those feelings. The one thing I especially like about it are the instrumentals -- the way they complement Maaya's voice and make it shine is truly beautiful. I also especially love singing this song. I think its pacing is just perfect!

6. The Corrs - Forgiven not Forgotten [link]
First and foremost, this song is the mark of my childhood. I got the The Corrs Unplugged CD for my birthday so many years ago and the acoustic version of this track is really an almost unparalled musical grace! I listened to it on my CD player on repeat for many days straight, back when my internet connection wasn't very good. I'd just spend days listening to it and reading. It's the soundtrack of the good times of my early childhood.

7. Genki Rockets - Heavenly Star [link]
Everything about this song is so full of energy, full of good feelings. The lyrics are so full of hope and brightness, and the melody and tune are so happy! Listening to it is an instant mood lifter, and it's such a good song to sing too. It's also probably one of my most played tracks ever because I'd listen to it on repeat for hours and hours as it's impossible to get tired of it!

8. wowaka (現実逃避P) - ワールズエンド・ダンスホール (World's End Dancehall) [link]
This song is just so energetic and unconventional. The robotic vocals and the mix of eletronic beats with a lead guitar are somehow able to work together into a song that never fails to make me feel like getting up and dance. The lyrics perfectly describe and match the song's eccentricness and its radiating energy.

9. 島みやえい子 - スカラベの祈り (Shimamiya Eiko - Sukarabe no Inori, Prayer of the Scarab) [link]
Eiko is one of my favourite artists of all time and I had a lot of trouble choosing a song to represent her in this list, but Sukarabe no Inori is the one that has the most meaning to me. I find it a really beautiful song in every sense. The eletronic beats are beautifully arranged and match Eiko's voice really well, which in this song are so sweet yet so powerful.

10. zts - worldend dominator [link]
worldend dominator is here to represent the whole soundtrack for the Umineko no Naku Koro ni sound novels. It's just such an impactful song that conveys the feelings for its scenes and the overall feelings for a good part of the series. I really love the whole soundtrack, but zts' tracks, and specifically this one, are the ones who are most characteristic to me. It's so unique and powerful, it has a feeling of hurry and mysticness that I've heard nowhere else.

"but i asked him 'does your favourite rhyme with eanut utter and elly andwich' and the boy who could levitate says 'i dont know, it always changes'"

ENDLESS ENDLESS ENDLESS - WASHES

SOUNDS LIKE shapes breaking and bending, avian and machine as one

FEELS LIKE meeting a girl who's leaving your city forever the next day

MAYYORS - THE CRAWL

SOUNDS LIKE angry men with instruments, a jeremiad against all things, a crunchier version of le face

FEELS LIKE baseless hatred, everything reduced

HARALD GROSSKOPF - SYNTHESIST

SOUNDS LIKE a thirty year old future, space is the place

FEELS LIKE a more emotionally consistent universe, sunsets, the realization that years ago all around here was green fields

(bonus) LOOKS LIKE p jack from tekken

ZOLA JESUS - I CAN'T STAND

SOUNDS LIKE kate bush, woundings, babbling to the void

FEELS LIKE the way we are diminished, something doomed, looking at a close friend and realizing that you at one point understood them but no longer do

SALEM - DIRT

SOUNDS LIKE c-walking on a grave, a haunted macbook pro

FEELS LIKE strange calms, even stranger violence, melting

XRAY EYEBALLS - FAKE WEDDING

SOUNDS LIKE spooky surf, skeletons on a road trip

FEELS LIKE tight black clothing, watching people do cocaine

YURA YURA TEIKOKU - NAI!!

SOUNDS LIKE serious men with unserious hair, haunting vocals whose meanings don't matter, a japanese matthew goode

FEELS LIKE shimmering things, your own last day somewhere, flowers blooming in an educational film

SUPERCHUNK - MY GAP FEELS WEIRD

SOUNDS LIKE life imitating art imitating wheatus, landing an ollie

FEELS LIKE when you were younger and the world was smaller, primitive ideas of rebellion, drinking soda from the bottle

SPARKS - ANGST IN MY PANTS

SOUNDS LIKE noises far too morose and eerie for their title, the eighties

FEELS LIKE things said in jest but secretly meant, discomfort at listening to a guy with a hitler mustache

THE GASLIGHT ANTHEM - ANGRY JOHNNY AND THE RADIO

SOUNDS LIKE springsteen but less so than their later efforts, camaraderie

FEELS LIKE hugging your friends tightly, what keeps you alive when others die

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Sufjan Stevens - Concerning the UFO sighting near Highland, Illinois.
I think this song and the Tourist I like for very similar reasons. I find them very relaxing. There is just that sense of suspension in both of them. Set aside your vain earthly concerns like sensible lyrics or time signatures..

Radiohead - The Tourist
The thing about favourites lists, is like, I could pick what I have been enjoying a lot lately, but it would just be random songs more or less, so I gotta go with what I have loved for a long, long time. This is why I always keep making the same list.

This is a magnificent song. In terms of song writing craft I just have no end of admiration for this one.. It's so good, but so good in such clever ways. I really like it..

Van Morrison - Sweet Thing
I was gonna find live versions of these songs, but I have found all three bands so far are kinda useless live. At least comparatively.

I wouldnt call Van Morrison a brilliant songwriter, I think he just kinda stumbled onto something magnificent in this album. I mean he is great, but not this great..

I have spent a lot of time looking for an unironic love song. I think this is the closest thing in existence. It isnt all that close, but after 7 years this is the best I have managed.

Neutral Milk Hotel - Ghost
I'm not normally angry enough to enjoy punk, so I like when I get something like this, which has all the good bits without the whole music for assholes thing. Plus its really good. Live version works this time..

Got more to add to this, but its getting late..

Sufjan Stevens - Concerning the UFO sighting near Highland, Illinois.
I think this song and the Tourist I like for very similar reasons. I find them very relaxing. There is just that sense of suspension in both of them. Dont be concerned with any of your vain earthly concerns like sensible lyrics or time signatures..

Radiohead - The Tourist
The thing about favourites lists, is like, I could pick what I have been enjoying a lot lately, but it would just be random songs more or less, so I gotta go with what I have loved for a long, long time. This is why I always keep making the same list.

This is a magnificent song. In terms of song writing craft I just have no end of admiration for this one.. It's so good, but so good in such clever ways. I really like it..

Van Morrison - Sweet Thing
I was gonna find live versions of these songs, but I have found all three bands so far are kinda useless live. At least comparatively.

I wouldnt call Van Morrison a brilliant songwriter, I think he just kinda stumbled onto something magnificent in this album. I mean he is great, but not this great..

I have spent a lot of time looking for an unironic love song. I think this is the closest thing in existence. It isnt all that close, but after 7 years this is the best I have managed.

Neutral Milk Hotel - Ghost
I'm not normally angry enough to enjoy punk, so I like when I get something like this, which has all the good bits without the whole music for assholes thing. Plus its really good. Live version works this time..

Got more to add to this, but its getting late..
Obviously cloudcover - Love and War will be on this list when you're finished (lol)

In no particular order
The Clash-Train in Vain
Bob Marley- Waiting in Vain
The Beatles- Baby You're a Rich Man
Arctic Monkeys- Mardy Bum
The Kooks-Gap
Pink Floyd- Time
Jimi Hendrix- Castle Made of Sand
Notorious B.I.G- More Money More Problems
Eminem- My Name Is
Bob Dylan- Dont Think Twice it's Allright

In no particular order, my top 10 songs:

===============

Ice Cube - Today Was a Good Day

Great funky sample, great lyrics and great rapper.

Chic - My Forbidden Lover

Greatest rythmic guitarist, one of the best bassits out there, good old life is good tune, reason why people still mourn the late 70s till this day.

Daft Punk - Voyager

Continuing on the theme of listing underrated Daft Punk songs in order to be hip, Voyager has the best bass line on the album.

Jamiroquai - Mr. Moon

Jamiroquai at it's finest, this is Acid Jazz.

Sonic Megamix SoundTrack - Starry Night Act 1

I love the Sonic mixing community but this just serene. Basically everything you liked about Star Light Zone and Star Dust Speedway Good Future and then x5.

Janet Jackson - All For You

Who doesn't love Janet, aside from Paris? This is the 90s when everything was chillax and great.

Steffen Morrison - Let's Get it On

Underated Dutch singer...then again mostly good music are always underrated. Soul with a Sitar flair, let's get it on and keep the good mood on.

Incognito - Nights Over Egypt (Masters at Work Main Remix)

Another great Acid Jazz band and this remix not only makes to longer, it makes better.

Nate James - Funky Love

Isn't my entire list Funky love?

Natsu No Omoide - Ketsumeishi

Why am I writing the song name then the band this time? Because the Japanese love to mess with our brains and write their last names first, THIS IS REVENGE. No seriously, ultimate summer song from this fusion band.

Gee whiz, does it mean I'm old if I only recognized the majority of 2 peoples lists? Either way, I'm too much of a one hit wonder guy to list a top 10.. Hell, I found 10 favorites in the last little quarter of my list.

Guess I'll just do 10 with acceptable music videos.

10. Autograph - Turn Up the Radio: I figure I should begin my list with the song that begins all of my CDs and playlists. Got to turn that shit up so I can hear my jams, got to feel them. Also holy shit this video has a robot in it. God bless the 80s.

9. Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out: Does liking this song make me a hipster or a skater? I mean it's starting out ok.. now it's slowing down and- oh, oh I like that. Such a badass beat. Music video is extra trippy and fantastic too.

8. The Wallflowers - One Headlight: Had to include one sad song here I suppose. It's a pretty somber and quiet beat but its easy to get stuck in your head. Lyrics are equally as quiet and pleasant sounding as well.

7. Jamioquai - Virtual Insanity: This is one awesome music video. So simplistic yet so entrancing. The beat is this nice neo-funky sounding deal that is just enjoyable to the ears with its weird sounds as background. I wish I could rock big fuzzy hats as well as this guy.

6. The Darkness - I Believe in a Thing Called Love: Yes. Fuck yes. Everything I enjoy about hair bands condensed into one song and video. Awesome vocals, kick ass beat, and destroying monsters with rock. Whats more to ask?

5. Santana - Smooth: You add Santana to anything and it becomes instantly better. This song has that latin flavor that just gets you swaying to the beat.

4. Gnarls Barkley - Crazy: Possibly the newest song on my favorites radar? I can't help it. Cee Lo Green has a voice that I just can't get enough of. The beat only adds to the greatness, so smooth and picking up at the right moment. Video is awesome for the way the ink moves and shifts about.

3. Queen - Don't Stop Me Now: Every list should have a Queen song on it shouldn't it? This one happens to be my favorite. Perfect way to begin a night on the town. It begins so slow and then just ramps right the fuck up and remains energetic throughout until the end where it slows down and you wish it wouldn't leave.

2. The Spinners - Rubberbandman: How could this NOT be on this list? This is how you get funky. These guys can dance and know how to dress fly as fuck. The song is just one of those with the chorus, trumpets and background singers all coming together to make something great.

1. Styx - Too Much Time On My Hands: If there ever was a song to describe myself, this would be it. No matter what I do I always end up with more time than I know what to do with, whether I be at home or at work. It features a nice catch, sublime beat with the keyboard and drum intermingling as well as fucking saxophones. Video is pretty comedic as well.

Falco - Rock Me Amadeus and Taco - Puttin' On the Ritz: I can't decide who is the classier motherfucker. One has a biker entourage while the other has a FUCKING GLOWSTICK FOR A CANE! Both songs are extremely catchy.

Haddaway - What is Love?:

Huey Lewis & the News - The Power of Love: Hey man, I love BttF.

OMC - How Bizarre: These guys just don't give a fuck. Weird ass music video? How bizarre. Catchy beat? How bizarre.

Sammy Hagar - I Can't Drive 55: Neither can I Sammy. And Alabama is notorious for slow as fuck highway speeds. So fucking irritating to have to go 60 on a FUCKING HIGHWAY. This song helps with that.

Will Smith - Gettin Jiggy Wit It: He raps happy.

Robert Palmer - Addicted to Love: I can see the cocaine on their entire faces..

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I will do one of these as well later today, I'm just still catching up on all the things I haven't done in life for 3 weeks.

You don't have the right to ask this until you have an avatar that isn't MLP because I don't get the check contained therein
oh okay

FEELS LIKE meeting a girl who's leaving your city forever the next day
:(

Diamond Messages - Liquid Summer
A swedish love story, something to listen to during the summer nights while doing mischievous activities. It always cheers me up when I listen to this song. One of the best chillwave music piece I've found.

The Knife - Heartbeats
One night to be confused
One night to speed up truth

When I discovered this song, I instantly fell in love which is a rare oddity. Another perfect summer song even though I find it more appropriate to listen to at abandoned cemeteries in the height of winter with your friends.

Desire - Under Your Spell
You keep me under your spell...
You keep me under your spell...

A hypnotizing track with haunting voices chanting "you keep me under your spell". It's a beautiful song and impossible to listen to it only once. I actually discovered this song while watching 'Drive' and it quickly made onto my list of favorite songs.

Crystal Castles - Vanished
Now its over, You've taken your life
The dark grows thin, And I'm left to hide...

When I was a newcomer on this forum, I recall glen making a thread about Crystal Castles which piqued my interest. I promptly downloaded their debut album and laying on my bed to listen. I was blown away, it's a masterful combination glitch and electronica music with muffled lyrics. Alice Glass does this so well in Vanished and the song reaches climax, my favorite part, at roughly around 2:00 in the video.

Honorable mention: Courtship Dating, my second favorite CC song.

Death Cab for Cutie - Expo '86
Sometimes I think this cycle never ends
We slide from top to bottom and we turn and climb again
And it seems by the time that I have figured what it's worth
The squeaking of our skin against the steel has gotten worse

It took me for the longest time to get into this song but I'm glad I did. It's such a hauntingly beautiful song starting from the beats in the intro to chanting of "the squeaking of our skin against the steel has gotten worse..." at the end. This song seems most appropriate for the fall season, blaring from your headphones while wearing a comfortable black peacoat, walking home from school.

Honorable mention: The New Year, best played on New Years Eve for a feeling of nostalgia.

Massive Attack - Girl I Love You
Girl I'm back in Spanish, ain't no trouble coming around
You promise you will never let me down
If you love me that much you will stick around

Massive Attack has many gems but Girl I Love You is my favorite song by them. A slow chill song which complements the dry voice of Horace Andy creates an ethereal masterpiece. Appropriately played at all times, as long you are in the mood. The best part of the song is around at 3:00 in the video.

Honorable mentions: Teardrop, Angel, and Atlas Air.

Amy Winehouse - Some Unholy War
If my man was fighting
Some unholy war
I would be behind him
Straight shook up beside him
With strength he didn't know

I get chills everytime I hear Amy sing "some unholy waaaar". Needs no further explanation.

Honorable mentions: too many to list. Just listen to her discography, it's flawless.

Azealia Banks - 212
What you gon' do when I appear?
W-when-when I premiere?
Bitch, the end of your lives are near
This shit been mine, mine

Now I've never been a big fan of rap but Azealia has completely changed that. Spitting out fire over house beats with an attitude of a badass woman has made me fall in love with Banks. I remember watching this video last year thinking that it's probably one of the best things I've seen. This girl will go places.

Empire Of The Sun - Walking On A Dream
We are always running for the thrill of it thrill of it
Always pushing up the hill searching for the thrill of it
On and on and on we are calling out and out again
Never looking down I'm just in awe of what's in front of me

The happiest song in existence, immediately cheers me up everytime I listen to this. Everytime I play this song, everyone joins in and start singing. It's truly beautiful and I've made many memories with this song.

Regina Spektor - The Calculation
So we made our own computer
Out of macaroni pieces
And it did our thinking
While we lived our lives
It counted up our feelings
And divided them up even
And it called our calculation
Perfect love

One of my favorite songs of all time. I can not accurately describe my feeling for this song, Regina Spektor is an amazing artist and I will always love her for creating this flawless masterpiece.

all of a sudden i fucking love you. can we get married?
Hospice is just perfect in it's entirety. Also, I actually get along musically very well with you Byrne. Everything on your list I've liked or like. Mostly, my list was just naming good songs/artists that haven't been mentioned yet.

gonna make my ten fav song list now and then do a "one per band" list when im not drunk (youll see why)

10. One Foot On The Gas, One Foot In The Grave - Streetlight Manifesto
9. Day In, Day Out - Catch 22
8. A Moment Of Silence - Streetlight Manifesto
7. Blonde Lead The Blind - Streetlight Manifesto
6. Keasbey Nights - Catch 22
5. Point/CounterPoint - Streetlight Manifesto
4. On & On & On - Catch 22
3. Walking Away - Catch 22
2. This One Goes Out To... - Streetlight Manifesto
1. Failing, Flailing - Streetlight Manifesto

what can I say
Please tell me that your inebriated state is the only reason for the lack of A Better Place, A Better Time and Supernothing. Honestly, though, which song would you take off this list? They're all so good. If I did top ten all SM it would probably be:

10. Down, Down, Down to Mephisto's Cafe
9. Sick and Sad
8. A Moment of Silence
7. The Big Sleep
6. The Saddest Song
5. Supernothing
4. Point/Counterpoint
3. A Better Place, A Better Time
2. As the Footsteps Die out Forever
1. The Recieving End of It All

Okay, this is dumb. There are too many good songs left out. (i.e. ALL OF THEM) Can't wait for November 6.

Nice list. Like seeing some Suicide Machines love. That's my favorite song by them as well. Don't really like ANY of their stuff other than Destruction by Definition though.

Jesse Michaels is a god. I'd probably go with Knowledge as my favorite though.

Will post my list once I figure it out.

1970's Top Ten

01. UFO - Rock Bottom
02. Black Sabbath - N.I.B.
03. Led Zeppelin - No Quarter
04. Alice Cooper - Halo of Flies
05. Judas Priest - Victim of Changes
06. Deep Purple - Mistreated
07. Rainbow - Stargazer
08. Thin Lizzy - Opium Trail
09. Queen - Ogre Battle
10. KISS - Black Diamond

I decided to go with one song per band.

In some sort of 10 - 1 order:

Love Is the End by Keane
Superstar by Lupe Fiasco
Handbags and Gladrags by Stereophonics
Good Life by Kanye West
Fidelity by Regina Spektor
Stan by Eminem
Trouble by Coldplay
You Get What You Give by New Radicals
23 by Jimmy Eat World
Bedshaped by Keane

Really really tough to narrow it down to 10, but the conclusion is clear: I am a pansy.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
okay, I'm going to take the time and put this together right now, I'll try not to repeat artists and I won't include "honorable mentions" because those are for pussies

Built to Spill - Velvet Waltz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzOuoxjYrOg
BTS was my favorite band for a long time, and this is their best song. One of Martsch's signature slow, epic ballads, it has everything: guitar layers, incredible solos, and amazing lyrics. This is one of those songs that I cannot stop once it starts and must listen to the entire way through.

Efterklang - Doppelganger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVNM43RPKbQ
If you watch that video and don't feel moved to the very core of your being, I don't want to be friends with you. Simple as that.

Hum - Little Dipper
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6AK6iW4sHE
"Stars" was the radio hit that turned everyone on to Hum back in 1995, but this is the song that opened me to new worlds. This is the opening track on the album, and the crescendo hit me like a brick, or like a never-ending wave of noise lapping at the shore of my brain. Matt Talbott is still one of the best lyricists of all time.

Isis - Grinning Mouths
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf-c9SIlb4k
Isis was already mentioned, and it was another song from this album, but this one always takes the cake for me. This runs the entire gamut of sludge metal, and I never get tired of hearing it. Whenever it comes on, I get the strange feeling of a weakly controlled rage, like at any time I could just lose it and start punching out the people around me.

Jedi Mind Tricks - War Ensemble
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR1G7t9YqgI
Quite simply, the best rap song of all time. Just listen to the rhymes used and tell me otherwise. And the beginning of that second verse? Holy SHIT.

Mineral - Unfinished
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxq0tQRfvNs
My favorite emo song. And no, I don't mean that '00s garbage whiny emo, I mean that mid-90s emo that I grew up with, back when shit was real. Every guitar note is intricately placed, and Matt Simpson's vocals never evoke more emotion. Listening to Mineral, I realized what it meant to feel the music.

Natsumen - Newsummerboy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjDiRal_Baw
I cannot listen to this song without moving my body. Seriously, doesn't it just make you want to get up and thrash and jump and maybe conquer a continent or two? God DAMN.

Neutral Milk Hotel - Holland, 1945
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLaFLztnL84
Love love love love love. I don't think I need to explain.

Slint - Good Morning, Captain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoH5MPIgM7c
Slint are often credited as the godfathers of post rock. This song is the epitome of their swansong album. I love the spoken word story and the mental pictures it evokes. I can see the captain, looking out the window at the ghostly figure of the boy. Incredible. And the ending? Famous in itself, when the band Pinback in "afk" said "I miss you / not in a Slint way / but I miss you". The ending gives me shivers every time to this day.

Sun Kil Moon - Duk Koo Kim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c4q7O3qKFo
Not often will you find a 15-minute song that is utter perfection every second. Mark Kozolek has made one right here. Such a dark and haunting yet beautiful song.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright. [Song - Artist]

10) The Ghosts That Haunt Me - Crash Test Dummies
Bit of a toss-up between this and Winter Song by the same guys. This is actually the title track from their first album, from way-back-when [mid '80s or something, that's a long way back for someone of my age!]. The quality fell off a cliff after their second album, but yeah. I just like this song because it's unconventional: yeah, it's a love song, but it makes references to a lot of morbid things. Unique lead singer, too (who's actually a bit of an arse, but yeah).

9) Losing My Religion - R.E.M.
Pretty sure you've all heard this one before at some point. This song symbolises a lot of why I'm a big R.E.M. fan: Stipe has a unique voice, and really puts passion into what he's singing. The fact that the music video was done in one take, and that the song centres around a mandolin, just makes this so much more awesome. And, of course, the feeling of being frustrated with someone is all-too-familiar.

8) Fear of Failure - The Basics
Help who the hell are these people? The Basics are a band from Melbourne, which features Wally de Backer on drums (more prominently-known as Gotye). It's a bit corny to say that a song describes you, but this song hits #8 because I do feel it rings true to me a little. I'm often quite hard on myself, and this song is quite arresting in pointing that out to me. The harmonies are cool too, which is why I like pretty much everything The Basics do.

7) Afternoons and Coffeespoons - Crash Test Dummies
It's the Crash Test Dummies again! The reasons I like this song are much the same as why I like 'The Ghosts That Haunt Me', but in reverse -- the feel of the song is very cheery, but it actually describes quite a depressing situation. It's a song about growing old, and how pointless and repetitive life becomes when you're teetering on the edge of mortality. All of this is supplemented by strong harmonies and the unique feel of a Crash Test Dummies song.

6) Somebody That I Used To Know - Gotye feat. Kimbra
It was actually user BenVdd who introduced me to this song, sometime back in early 2011. I thought it was batshit weird [NAKED MAN IN MUSIC VIDEO WAT], but I really liked the song. I look into Gotye some more, and I like the rest of his stuff. I pre-order his new album, 'Making Mirrors'. A few weeks after I receive the album, this song explodes in Britain and America, and suddenly everyone is raving about how they're a Gotye fan. There's my hipster story for you.

5) Sally I Can See You - Kimbra
Kimbra does more than feature on Gotye's breakout track. I'll admit, I can't be considered some kind of hipster fan here, since I only found her through STIUTK, but I find Kimbra is a lot like Kate Bush, but a better singer. She experiments a lot with her styles, and I'm paying her a bit of a disservice by only linking one song. I particularly like this one because it's very atmospheric (ooo atmospherrrrre) and has a good beat behind it. I can't really adequately describe what Kimbra employs in her music.

4) With This Ship - The Basics
Hm, I wonder what it would be like to have the feel of a Gotye song, but with the strength of a three-piece band behind it with really nicely-meshing voices. Oh wait, this! I find this song really immersive (nothing to do with the premise being a sinking ship), and it's a nice contrast to the previous Basics track I listed: this one has more a rugged determination, rather than a critical tone. When I have a really shitty break-up, this will be the song I'll be playing.

3) New Test Leper - R.E.M.
It's another R.E.M. song, and no it's not 'Everybody Hurts'! This is actually one of the songs that heavily inspired my recent extended work [Halfway into the Fog (HitF)], so it's sort of difficult for me to describe why I like this song so much without images of the book floating through my head. The premise of the song at first seems to be that Stipe is bemoaning his opponents in a debate on religion, but it then becomes apparent he is far more angered at the sensationalist format of the program. This contrast between hate against religion and hate of religious discussion was what fuelled HitF, so that's why this song is particularly special to me. No doubt this will be shoved further down the list once I get inspired by further projects, haha. The style of the song is also great, so it's not just the lyrics that I like.

2) The Worst of a Man - The Tinder Box
Here is where I go ultra-hipster. These guys are so unknown that I can't even get a Youtube link to the song, instead I'll have to link to their facebook page. They aren't signed to a record label, and they actually have all of their songs up for free download. Definitely worth checking out, at the very least. I chose this particular song because of its powerful, lamenting feel -- I'm not sure I've heard any other song quite so raw and rich, which is pretty characteristic of the band's harmonies. Their sense of dynamics is superb, too.

1) Bronte - Gotye
Here is it, the big numero uno. Remember how I said earlier that New Test Leper was "one of the songs" that inspired me? Well, this was the other big one. The biggest. In fact, it was from this song that the entire book was spawned, and that's why I don't think will ever leave my collection of favourite songs. Forgive me if this is super-lengthy, but if you've read this far then I'm fairly sure you're up for reading a lot more.
To me, this song is about childhood, and how the world corrupts innocence. Like the girl in the video (which I highly recommend you watch along with your first hearing of the song), we all try to grow up so quickly, and then the world hits us -- suddenly, we want that childhood back. But the conclusion shows that we can never get back to that childhood: we are too far gone.
In much the same way that this song is about the abstract loss of innocence, so too is it about physical loss: i.e., bereavement. You can't go back to your childhood, and at the same time you can't regain a lost relative. This is where this song touches me the most: I've been fortunate enough to only experience one major bereavement in my life so far, but at the same time the singularity of that incident makes it far more poignant to me. My granddad. Of course you, as the distanced reader, feel no change of emotion in reading those words, but perhaps this line from the song can appeal to you more effectively:
Bronte said:
...and your voice still echoes in the hallways of this house, but now it's the end.
Moving more into how this song inspired HitF is how it deals with disillusion and cynicism -- the pain of loss becomes so much that it causes a disconnection, the sensation of which I believe is palpable in listening to the song. This inspired a Ms. Havisham-esque character, who is obsessed with what life could have been, and is disconnected from the world -- this, in turn, teaches the protagonists that obsession with loss will yield no good, and their outlook in the final words is resolute and happier, much like the final lines of the song.

I'm not sure how well I've expressed myself here, and I'm not sure how you will all view my music choices, but I figured if I was going to explain my reasons I wasn't going to make a half-assed job of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)