Wrecking Crew (Peaked #9)

Hey Smogoners, EonADS here with a new RMT for you. Despite always enjoying the UU metagame, I eventually tired of facing Mew and Heracross on every goddamn team. I tried NU again (since I left after Magmortar and Cryogonal made the jump to RU) and I had some fun and made a few teams, but I wanted to reserve judgement until I checked out some of the other metagames. RU didn't have enough players for my taste, while OU was a Genesect-infested cesspool at the time (and it kinda still is). NU really started to interest me once again at this time (mainly because it reminded me a lot of Gen 4 UU and had no real spinners), and I made quite a few teams, but was never met with much success until recently due to a lot of gimmicky ideas and testing teams. It wasn't until about a week and a half ago that I was really met with success.

This team was the result of a lot of testing, a lot of battles, and a hatred of Stealth Rock screwing up my teams. Since I was never able to get spinners to work for me, I went for the next best thing: heavy offensive pressure.

Also, I apologize in advance for the large pictures.

First, the screenshot:

Next...

I designed this team around Specially-based LO Samurott, one of only two Pokemon capable of OHKOing the standard Regirock with Hydro Pump (the other is Gorebyss, but it isn't assured without some kind of boosting item and Gorebyss is slow). It can also 2HKO Amoonguss with Ice Beam on the switch, which is very nice.

My second choice was very easy. Since I had something that could batter opponents on the special side of the spectrum, I needed something to hit on the physical side. I picked Samurott's typical dance partner in Emboar. CB Emboar has a combination of reliability, great complimentary typing, awesome coverage, and of course, POWER.

So I had two heavy hitters, and I knew I would need Stealth Rock eventually. I needed something that could hit Flying-types hard, was both bulky and powerful, and had Stealth Rock. I was originally thinking Regirock... but then Piloswine reared his head. It filled all of my criteria, had Thick Fat and Eviolite to aid its mediocre defensive abilities, and provided me with an Electric-type immunity. I knew what I wanted as soon as I saw it.

Now I had half my team all ready to go, and I noticed a problem. AMOONGUSS. The most annoying and second most common Pokemon in NU, and I needed a way to get around its Spore, as well as its bulk. I started off with SD Sawsbuck. Sap Sipper gave me a way to block Spore while jump starting a sweep of the opposing team.

I noticed right away that I was getting a little offense-heavy, and I needed a good bulky pivot point. Amoonguss stuck out at me immediately because I needed the Fighting-type resist, but it would give me a three-fold weakness to Flying-type attacks. I pretty much said "the hell with it" and went ahead anyway. Idiot me.

Despite my "to hell with it" earlier, I still knew I needed the Flying-type resist. I also knew that I needed a revenge killer, and I also recognized just how badly Shell Smash Gorebyss could maul my team. Rotom-S, one of a select handful of Scarfers capable of outspeeding +2 Gorebyss, was my choice. Between bulk, typing, a Ground-type immunity, and offensive presence, Rotom-S is one of the best Scarfers in the tier.

I went ahead with the team, and I had decent success with it, but nothing spectacular. It was very apparent to me that the weak link of the team was Sawsbuck. Not so much in that it couldn't pull its weight, but that it attracted vultures... well, more like eagles, living fans, and swallows. I knew I had to swap it out for something else, but I needed to retain my advantage over Amoonguss and not screw up my synergy too much. My eyes were opened when I saw somebody else using a Sap Sipper Miltank.

MooFensive Miltank is quite possibly the best Sap Sipper abuser in NU. Played properly, you can constantly hound and harass opposing Grass-types and either wear them down (in the case of Amoonguss and Tangela), or you can take them out (in the case of pretty much everything else). It also has surprising speed for NU, and hits hard even without a Sap Sipper boost.

The Team

|The Demolitions Expert|

Samurott @ Life Orb
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Ability: Torrent
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- HP Grass
- Megahorn

Special LO Samurott is never given enough credit next to its Sword Dance brethren. It has the right combination of power, speed, and coverage to completely ravage the typical team. LO Hydro Pump 2HKO's pretty much anything that doesn't resist it and isn't a dedicated Special Wall; even then it typically does upwards of 45% to the standard Lickylicky. Ice Beam is for coverage against common Grass-types, and it KOs pretty much all of them except Amoonguss and Ludicolo after a Hydro Pump (most only need Stealth Rock, really). HP Grass is for opposing Water-types, particularly Water Absorbers like Seismitoad and Lapras (Mantine can kiss my ass). Megahorn has one sole purpose, and that is to OHKO offensive Ludicolo after Stealth Rock. Sometimes it's nice to have Megahorn around for Musharna, but Hydro Pump typically does more damage when Mushy is unboosted. Most teams take ridiculous amounts of damage from Samurott alone, and I typically manage at least two or three KOs per match with it alone.

|The Bulldozer|

Emboar @ Choice Band
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 72 Hp / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Ability: Blaze
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Head Smash

Mmm... bacon. This guy, right here, is one of the most dangerous offensive Pokemon in the tier. Most Pokemon can't take an unresisted hit from Emboar and walk away; in fact, Emboar is capable of 2HKOing the ENTIRE TIER after Stealth Rock damage (trust me, I've done the calcs). Emboar's role on this team is to break down slow, powerful defensive threats with its STABs and coverage options, either abusing the holes Samurott has punched in the opposing team, or punching holes for Samurott to abuse. I usually have to do a lot of predicting with Emboar, because nobody really wants to stay in against it. The recoil damage from three of its attacks usually means that Emboar is either saved for late game, or dies in mid-game clearing the way for Samurott and the rest. The moveset is standard, while the EV spread allows Emboar to outspeed Bulk Up Braviary, as well as Modest Exeggutor and most Golurk sets.

|The Site Surveyor|

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 240 Hp / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Ability: Thick Fat
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Stealth Rock

Piloswine is one of the best Stealth Rock setters in the tier, NFE or not. It never ceases to amaze me how many people forget (or just don't care) that Piloswine has Thick Fat; that means he's neutral to Fire-type attacks, people! Anyway, Piloswine's job is to get SR on the field if it can, but sometimes it functions as a utility check for things like Regice and Swellow. Ice Shard's priority has saved me more times than I can even count, while Icicle Spear is good for punching through the Subs of sweepers like Swoobat and it does enough damage that I can typically KO Golurk with a 4-hit shot. The EV spread is to ensure that Piloswine isn't susceptible to a KO from switching into SR too much, while the speed lets me outpace speed creeping Regirock and other Base 50's.

|The Heavy Lifter|

Miltank @ Life Orb
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Ability: Sap Sipper
- Return
- Earthquake
- Punishment
- Milk Drink

Miltank is a very important Pokemon on this team for one simple reason: it is the only thing keeping Amoonguss off the backs of my heavy hitters. Miltank functions as both a tank and an offensive threat on this team, tackling a wide variety of threats and outspeeding most common offensive Pokemon. Standard everything on this set, though Punishment is slowly falling out of favor with most players; I find that it's exceptionally handy for taking down Musharna after it's gotten down a few Calm Minds. Miltank's speed is just flat-out awesome; one of my opponents on PS! once commented "That's crap. Last I checked, dairy cows weren't as fast as fighter jets." upon learning that Miltank is faster than Haunter.

I AM CURRENTLY GIVING SKUNTANK A TEST RUN IN MILTANK'S PLACE; THANKS FLCL AND WhiteDMist :)

|The Foreman|

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 Hp / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Ability: Regenerator
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Spore
- Sludge Bomb

Amoonguss is, bar none, the most irksome Pokemon I have faced this generation (Jirachi from Gen 4 takes the cake for all-time). However, it is also the best tank in NU and is capable of shutting down most attackers and acting as a great bulky pivot for an offensive team. Amoonguss' role is pretty much directing traffic; he decides what I can allow near my sweepers and slaps down the rest with Spore or by walling them to hell and back. I used Sludge Bomb over Stun Spore because you can't beat Miltank without Sludge Bomb, and it's also good for hitting Grass-type resists that always come in once you've put something to sleep with Spore. Clear Smog stayed, however, because it's the only thing that enables my team to beat Gurdurr down and it's handy for stopping opposing setup cold. The 24 Speed EVs are because I was sick and tired of getting outsped by speed creeping Musharna and other Amoonguss. It also allows me to outspeed minimum speed Carracosta and Stunfisk, which is nice.

|The Crowd Control|

Rotom-S @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Ability: Levitate
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Ladies and gentlemen, the only double-immunity to Ground-types in existence. Rotom-S is probably the best scarfer in the tier. It's just fast enough to check Shell Smash Gorebyss, just strong enough to put some serious hurt down with its dual-STABs, and has just enough of a movepool to cover a good portion of the tier. He has four very important roles to play. First and foremost, Rotom-S is the team's revenge killer, and is designed to take down threats the rest of the team can't. Second, he is the scout, gauging my opponent's responses and letting me get information on their team. Thirdly, he is my response to anything faster than Base 100 Speed, i.e. Cinccino and occasionally Rapidash. Finally, Rotom is great for snatching up momentum and playing around my opponent late game. The only thing holding it back is the Stealth Rock weakness, which is annoying, but manageable.​

Just a couple of nitpicks to fix. On Ammoonguss, I would recommend Stun Spore > Sludge Bomb as Stun Spore allows your team to take down foes after removing their momentum. I would also switch Ammoonguss' item from Leftovers to Black Sludge so you can discourage Trick Users (bar Haunter) from Tricking Ammoonguss.

Working on Samurott, I would change its Nature to Hasty / Naive Nature > Timid Nature so you can get more power on its Megahorn. Other than that, I say good luck.

Hey, great team & congrats on the ladder peak! :toast:

I wouldn't put Stun Spore on Amoonguss, I'd actually replace Clear Smog with Synthesis. Clear Smog allows you to beat Gurdurr sometimes, but without reliable recovery outside of Lefties, Amoonguss will have to switch out to heal, forcing another member to get smashed by Gurdurr. Clear Smog is useless in a lot of situations as you have to take a hit before you can erase the boosts, and also straightup fails against stuff like SubBU Braviary and SubCM Gardevoir. Furthermore, Samurott beats most Gurdurr 1v1 and Rotom can threaten it with Air Slash, so I don't see it as a huge threat to your team.

Running 16 Speed EVs on Piloswine let it outpace a whole bunch of defensive base 50s like Regirock who out-speed creep your current number.

I'm not sure of the usefulness of Hidden Power Grass on Rotom. HP Grass basically only hits Golem, Golurk, and other defensive Rock / Ground types. You would much rather handle all of these with Samurott, Emboar or Amoonguss, who can threaten them with their stronger STAB attacks. I'd replace it with Trick, which can cripple a lot of walls which like to switch into you, like Lickilicky and Ampharos. When you no longer need Rotom's speed, you can dump it and beat Alomomoonguss cores much more easily.

Clear Smog -> Synthesis on Amoonguss
240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spd on Piloswine
Hidden Power [Grass] -> Trick on Rotom-S

Once again, lovely team and here's a luvdisc for ya :) hope I helped.

edit: take FLCL's suggestions too ;)

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Psychic-types absolutely demolish this team since they can set up rather easily on Amoonguss or Emboar locked into Superpower and nothing likes taking a hit from them. Miltank seems like the weakest link on this team since the only reason you listed is for it to absorb sleep from Amoonguss, but honestly, it probably does the worst against it out of all the Pokemon on this team if you can't manage to grab an attack boost. I suggest replacing it with Skuntank in order to trap the various Psychic-types in the tier and also Taunt Amoonguss, preventing it from doing significant harm to your team.

Hidden Power Grass is generally inferior compared to the utility of Trick on Rotom-S. If you're predicting a Ground-type switch-in, you can simply manually switch instead of Volt Switch to Samurott or Amoonguss. Trick allows you to cripple Pokemon such as Amoonguss, Musharna, and Lickilicky.

Summary of changes:

Miltank —> Skuntank
Hidden Power Grass —> Trick on Rotom-S

Skuntank @ Leftovers
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Taunt

Rotom-Fan @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Thunderbolt

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
HI EonADS! This is a pretty cool offensive team, made up of some of the most effective Pokemon in the tier. FLCL (as always) and the other raters have all made some good suggestions. I'll pick what I feel is the cream of the crop from their suggestions. :toast:

Normally I wouldn't change the nature for a single move, but I agree with A dude about a Naive nature on Samurott. Samurott (and possibly Skuntank) is your only check to Ludicolo, and you want to inflict as much damage as possible if you win the speed tie or hit it on the switch. You wouldn't want a Hasty nature when Samurott actually has pretty good physical bulk to take priority moves with. Now if you ever tire of having to use a Naive nature, or even having a mostly unused 4th move, you can always change Megahorn for Taunt and keep a Timid nature. It definitely helps prevent hazards temporarily, and also annoys defensive teams.

I've used Sap Sipper Miltank before, but while it is a good set, I find that it lacks power when your opponent doesn't have a Grass-type, or plays cautiously with their Grass moves. Skuntank is the better check to opposing Psychic, Ghost, Dark, and even Grass types. It may lack reliable recovery, but it has Taunt to stop Spore as well as extra priority that your team wants.

Rotom-S would definitely prefer Trick to your HP Grass. You already lack a large amount of utility moves, and Trick may be one of your only ways to cripple opposing Pokemon. Hitting Ground-types is a plus, but then again, isn't the whole point of your team supposed to be putting heavy offensive pressure on the very Ground, Rock and Steel types that generally set up Stealth Rocks? If you have to use HP Grass on Rotom-S, then does that mean your team lacks the offensive pressure? I'd say not, so I'd stick with Trick (the rhyme was totally accidental :/)

Ironically, Amoonguss IS one of the largest Trick targets there is, and having Black Sludge as an item will help deter that. As for Clear Smog, I'd replace it entirely. Between the options of Stun Spore and Synthesis, I'd go with Synthesis. With Stun Spore, you suddenly become much more vulnerable to opposing Sap Sipper Miltank and other SS Pokes. The reliable recovery also helps lessen the number of times you have to switch out, letting you wear the Sap Sippers down much more easily. Admittedly, Gurdurr becomes harder to stop since it can live even a Hydro Pump from Samurott after Stealth Rocks (252 SpAtk Life Orb Samurott Hydro Pump vs 252 HP/4 SpDef Eviolite Gurdurr: 68.98% - 81.02% (2 hits to KO)). Of course, you can always depend on Rotom-S to revenge kill, so it's not too big of a problem.

The Speed creep is all up to you...:naughty: Just don't take too much bulk from Amoonguss and Piloswine.

Now, as for threats to your team, I would say that opposing Sun teams, or even just Charizard and Exeggutor on their own, are pretty threatening to your team. Only Rotom-S can revenge kill them, which doesn't inspire great confidence. Choice Band Sawk is a more common threat that you must predict around, so it is manageable if a bit heavy on the damage. This Threat List can help you find more threats to your team.

Changes:

Samurott: Naive nature
Optional: Taunt>Megahorn; Timid nature
Skuntank>Miltank
Rotom-S: Trick>HPGrass
Amoonguss: Black Sludge>Leftovers; Synthesis>Clear Smog

Good luck with your team and congrats on your peak! I hope I helped you decide on the path you'll take with your team. :pimp:

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
I just have one quick thing to point out and then I'll be out of here, but he doesn't need Naive nature for Megahorn since the only thing he's using it for is Ludicolo which is OHKO'd by Timid 4atk Megahorn.

Just a couple of nitpicks to fix. On Ammoonguss, I would recommend Stun Spore > Sludge Bomb as Stun Spore allows your team to take down foes after removing their momentum.
No. Stun Spore is unreliable, and it turns Amoonguss into bait for common Sap Sippers like Sawsbuck and Miltank.

A dude said:
I would also switch Ammoonguss' item from Leftovers to Black Sludge so you can discourage Trick Users (bar Haunter) from Tricking Ammoonguss.
Fair enough. Will change that.

A dude said:
Working on Samurott, I would change its Nature to Hasty / Naive Nature > Timid Nature so you can get more power on its Megahorn. Other than that, I say good luck.
No thanks. The only real target for Megahorn is Ludicolo, which I already OHKO after Stealth Rock. Changing to Naive doesn't benefit me in any way; it doesn't even assure the 2HKO on Musharna following Hydro Pump.

Hey, great team & congrats on the ladder peak! :toast:
Thank you.

I wouldn't put Stun Spore on Amoonguss, I'd actually replace Clear Smog with Synthesis. Clear Smog allows you to beat Gurdurr sometimes, but without reliable recovery outside of Lefties, Amoonguss will have to switch out to heal, forcing another member to get smashed by Gurdurr. Clear Smog is useless in a lot of situations as you have to take a hit before you can erase the boosts, and also straightup fails against stuff like SubBU Braviary and SubCM Gardevoir. Furthermore, Samurott beats most Gurdurr 1v1 and Rotom can threaten it with Air Slash, so I don't see it as a huge threat to your team.
About that... Clear Smog isn't solely for Gurdurr. There are other setup abusers like SD Armaldo, DD Fraxure, Coil Eelektross, and SD Samurott that are kept in check by Clear Smog. Frankly, I'd have to be an idiot to try using Amoonguss against SubBU Braviary or SubCM Gardevoir. And the problem with your scenario is that I'm not going to sacrifice my best sweeper just to take out Gurdurr, which it has a decent chance of failing to do because of Hydro Pump's accuracy and Drain Punch's healing.

Running 16 Speed EVs on Piloswine let it outpace a whole bunch of defensive base 50s like Regirock who out-speed creep your current number.
A good idea. I'll change that.

I'm not sure of the usefulness of Hidden Power Grass on Rotom. HP Grass basically only hits Golem, Golurk, and other defensive Rock / Ground types. You would much rather handle all of these with Samurott, Emboar or Amoonguss, who can threaten them with their stronger STAB attacks. I'd replace it with Trick, which can cripple a lot of walls which like to switch into you, like Lickilicky and Ampharos. When you no longer need Rotom's speed, you can dump it and beat Alomomoonguss cores much more easily.
I started out with Trick and hated it, but I'll give it another run. Who knows? Maybe something has changed.

Once again, lovely team and here's a luvdisc for ya :) hope I helped.
Yeah, thanks for that.

Psychic-types absolutely demolish this team since they can set up rather easily on Amoonguss or Emboar locked into Superpower and nothing likes taking a hit from them. Miltank seems like the weakest link on this team since the only reason you listed is for it to absorb sleep from Amoonguss, but honestly, it probably does the worst against it out of all the Pokemon on this team if you can't manage to grab an attack boost. I suggest replacing it with Skuntank in order to trap the various Psychic-types in the tier and also Taunt Amoonguss, preventing it from doing significant harm to your team.
I know. Gardevoir especially is a major problem. I'll give Skuntank a run, but I'm somewhat worried about Zangoose. Meh, whatever. Just something else to fix.

Hidden Power Grass is generally inferior compared to the utility of Trick on Rotom-S. If you're predicting a Ground-type switch-in, you can simply manually switch instead of Volt Switch to Samurott or Amoonguss. Trick allows you to cripple Pokemon such as Amoonguss, Musharna, and Lickilicky.
I'll give it another look. Thanks FLCL.

HI EonADS! This is a pretty cool offensive team, made up of some of the most effective Pokemon in the tier. FLCL (as always) and the other raters have all made some good suggestions. I'll pick what I feel is the cream of the crop from their suggestions. :toast:
Thanks.

Normally I wouldn't change the nature for a single move, but I agree with A dude about a Naive nature on Samurott. Samurott (and possibly Skuntank) is your only check to Ludicolo, and you want to inflict as much damage as possible if you win the speed tie or hit it on the switch. You wouldn't want a Hasty nature when Samurott actually has pretty good physical bulk to take priority moves with. Now if you ever tire of having to use a Naive nature, or even having a mostly unused 4th move, you can always change Megahorn for Taunt and keep a Timid nature. It definitely helps prevent hazards temporarily, and also annoys defensive teams.
I disagree. See my reply to A dude. Frankly, I'm not very worried about Ludicolo. I can play around it well enough, and Megahorn does enough damage as is. Samurott's bulk is one of its defining traits, and I'd like to keep that bulk intact.

I've used Sap Sipper Miltank before, but while it is a good set, I find that it lacks power when your opponent doesn't have a Grass-type, or plays cautiously with their Grass moves. Skuntank is the better check to opposing Psychic, Ghost, Dark, and even Grass types. It may lack reliable recovery, but it has Taunt to stop Spore as well as extra priority that your team wants.
Skuntank is a good fit for the team. My only real concern is Zangoose. I'll give it a run, and see how it compares to Miltank.

Rotom-S would definitely prefer Trick to your HP Grass. You already lack a large amount of utility moves, and Trick may be one of your only ways to cripple opposing Pokemon. Hitting Ground-types is a plus, but then again, isn't the whole point of your team supposed to be putting heavy offensive pressure on the very Ground, Rock and Steel types that generally set up Stealth Rocks? If you have to use HP Grass on Rotom-S, then does that mean your team lacks the offensive pressure? I'd say not, so I'd stick with Trick (the rhyme was totally accidental :/)
Lol, good point and good rhyme. Trick it is.

Ironically, Amoonguss IS one of the largest Trick targets there is, and having Black Sludge as an item will help deter that. As for Clear Smog, I'd replace it entirely. Between the options of Stun Spore and Synthesis, I'd go with Synthesis. With Stun Spore, you suddenly become much more vulnerable to opposing Sap Sipper Miltank and other SS Pokes. The reliable recovery also helps lessen the number of times you have to switch out, letting you wear the Sap Sippers down much more easily. Admittedly, Gurdurr becomes harder to stop since it can live even a Hydro Pump from Samurott after Stealth Rocks (252 SpAtk Life Orb Samurott Hydro Pump vs 252 HP/4 SpDef Eviolite Gurdurr: 68.98% - 81.02% (2 hits to KO)). Of course, you can always depend on Rotom-S to revenge kill, so it's not too big of a problem.
I do not like using Samurott to kill Gurdurr, mainly because it risks my main Pokemon unnecessarily. Keeping Samurott intact so it can do its job is paramount to this team's success. I don't really need Synthesis, I find that using Giga Drain, balancing my switches, and allowing for turns of Leftovers recovery is enough. Also, as I said to citro, Clear Smog isn't just for Gurdurr.

The Speed creep is all up to you...:naughty: Just don't take too much bulk from Amoonguss and Piloswine.
Lol, I won't.

Now, as for threats to your team, I would say that opposing Sun teams, or even just Charizard and Exeggutor on their own, are pretty threatening to your team. Only Rotom-S can revenge kill them, which doesn't inspire great confidence. Choice Band Sawk is a more common threat that you must predict around, so it is manageable if a bit heavy on the damage. This Threat List can help you find more threats to your team.
Thanks for that. It's good to have an up-to-date list. And yes, well-played Charizard and Exeggutor are threatening to this team, but that's the key. Between Stealth Rock, priority, and Rotom-S being capable of revenging them both, I can handle them. And you're absolutely right about Sawk, but I can play around it too.

Good luck with your team and congrats on your peak! I hope I helped you decide on the path you'll take with your team. :pimp:
You definitely did. Thanks for the help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)