Where are you going to school next year?

Reading another school-based thread got me to thinking... I know that a good chunk of us are currently in our last year of highschool and plan on attending University/College next year. For a lot of us this also means moving away from home and possibly getting to meet a bunch of new people. With that being said, there are pretty good odds that we'll be attending several of the same facilities as other smogoners and not even know it.

I remember a discussion amongst some other Ontarians applying to various Universities in another thread but nothing really came of it, so I'll start a new discussion here. I'm personally torn between University of Toronto and McMaster. So far I've only been accepted into one of the two but there're still 2 months or so until schools are required to notify students.

Whether you're attending your first year of college or you're a returning student, post in this thread and we'll try to get a good head count of people attending each school. Maybe we can even get a crew going and do some irl Pokemoning, or just shoot the shit. Obviously this isn't just a Canadian thing (though there seems to be higher odds of us ending up at the same school).

If you want to discuss program specifics there's another thread about that right here.

I'm going to Phoenix, Arizona, to attend DeVry University (well, hopefully; I'm flat fucking broke, no scholorships, parents kicked me out, etc etc).

Should that fail, I'll just take classes at University of Alaska, Anchorage until I'm ready.

I still have a year to go but I've been going for some B.C. scholarships and such and registering for some grade 12 classes that can help me prepare for what I want to do and also help me get some scholarships to give me some breathing room in terms of cash.

I plan on going to UBC (Vancouver campus) and would like to get a Commerce Degree. But we'll see what happens, as I could take several different paths in my life that would lead to completely different futures. My band could get some bigger gigs and go on a large scale tour, I could go traveling for a year, etc.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This does seem to come around about twice a year.
I'll be going into my fourth year of a joint major in Interactive Arts & Technology and Communications at Simon Fraser University in BC. I'd say a city but there are campuses in Surrey, Burnaby, and Vancouver and I take classes at all of them x.x

Swansea University, to study Classical Civilisation :D
I got into 'better' universities - Cardiff and Manchester - but I fell in love with Swansea, so that's where I shall go. :3

Next year, I shall be doing my A2's, but after that, I'm unsure. My teachers have said I'm capable of getting into good Unis in England (Bath, Bristol, Warwick etc) so I may go with one of them, to study either Physics or Chemistry (undecided on that front, too).

Taster course in Physics (Chem one was full =[) at Queen Mary's in July should help me decide. =D

I'll be entering Purdue University in Indiana as a Freshman, although I'm not entirely sure what I'll major in (I know I'm gonna double major and that I want Creative Writing to be one of them but I don't know what my "money maker" is gonna be). I was planning on going out of state but I got a lot more money from Purdue--a free ride, practically--although I've applied to 6 other schools and have been accepted to 5 of them.

I am still in High School I am re-attending Collins Hill High School and next school year I will be taking Chorus and re-taking Acting. The first time I took Acting I was placed in randomly and did not care for it now I do and I am going to give my effort into it.

Next year, I shall be doing my A2's, but after that, I'm unsure. My teachers have said I'm capable of getting into good Unis in England (Bath, Bristol, Warwick etc)
You should come to either Bath or Bristol, both are relatively close to where I live. :toast:

Anyway, I'm starting A1s (AS Levels) next year, studying Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. I hope to go onto University, probably to do a Math or Chemistry course of some kind...don't know where yet, obviously.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Despite only being a Junior (11th Grade), I'm looking at colleges like most people my age. My top three choices would be Princeton, Lehigh, and Lafayette Universities. I'm also looking at University of Pennsylvania.

Despite only being a Junior (11th Grade), I'm looking at colleges like most people my age. My top three choices would be Princeton, Lehigh, and Lafayette Universities. I'm also looking at University of Pennsylvania.
Those are some pretty loft choices; best of luck to you ; )

Though I shouldn't be talking, as my top choices are Georgia Tech, Cornell, and Carnegie Melon, with UF as a back up >.>

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm in grade 12 right now, but I'm going to come back to high school for an extra year. However, that does not mean that I have not given universities a very serious thought. (I just don't feel ready for it, and I seriously don't have enough money, OSAP would basically be paying for everything...)

I live in Brampton, Ontario. I've been looking for universities that have a good education program, but I'm really not sure which one to choose. A lot of the teachers I've asked have recommended that I do concurrent education if I'm serious about becoming a teacher, because it's a much safer bet than doing consecutive education.

For those who don't know, concurrent education is doing studies for both a B. Ed. and a Bachelor's degree in your main teachable, it's 5 years long. Consecutive education is taking the 4 years of your major, and then 1 year of teacher's college, but it's no guarantee that you'll get into teacher's college.

I've looked at places with concurrent education, but honestly, I'm not sure if it's a good idea, just because of the really small selection. Out of the good ones, all I really saw were U of T, and Brock. I was considering York, but after the bullshit that they pulled this year, I'm not interested in it.

Two places that have concurrent that I didn't really look at that much are Lakehead University, and Queen's University. I don't really know much about these schools, other than that Lakehead is in Thunder Bay, and Queen's is in Kingston. If anyone has anything to say about these schools, I'd be glad to hear it.

If I choose not to go concurrent, University of Ottawa is probably my main choice. The place looks great, and although it's expensive, they do look like a very good school, and I'd love to go there.

Heh, another factor when picking schools is how much I want to be separated from everyone I know. Part of me really wants to live on my own, because I don't like depending on others, since I do it so much. But, part of me doesn't want to lose my friends, though I suppose that if we're truly close friends, then we'll still remain friends even when separated. I'll most likely pick living on my own though, since it's definitely something important to experience.

Im in 11th and I'll probably go to RIT, Caltech, Georgia Tech, Renassler Polytech etc. My grades are way to weak for MIT though :p

Alas, I've still got a long ways to go.

But I'm looking into going to either Duquesne or Carnegie Mellon, both within a short drive from my home in Pittsburgh. It all depends on how my scholarships turn out, and if I ever make up my mind on a career (Architect vs. Lawyer).

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
duckster im in your boat, although the schools im torn between right now are waterloo and u of t. Toss in Western if I get into the Ivey program. I have a tough choice ahead of me.

also bologo Lakehead is a piece of shit and Queens is one of the best schools in ontario.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Im in 11th and I'll probably go to RIT, Caltech, Georgia Tech, Renassler Polytech etc. My grades are way to weak for MIT though :p
Don't go to RIT. As a graduate I can say that it isn't what it used to be.

I hope to be attending UBuffalo law school. I'm still waiting to hear from Case Western and Albany before I decide.

I've looked at places with concurrent education, but honestly, I'm not sure if it's a good idea, just because of the really small selection. Out of the good ones, all I really saw were U of T, and Brock. I was considering York, but after the bullshit that they pulled this year, I'm not interested in it.
If you don't know anyone here in St. Catharines then avoid going to Brock, it's a boring city. Well, I guess it's not terrible but there're better cities you'd want to move to.

I applied for Huron too, which is at Western. Got accepted already but probably won't go there.

I'll post in this thread again when I've made up my mind, which will hopefully be in the next month.

I'm in 11th grade, so I still have another year of high school to go, but as I'm on spring break, I've been spending a lot of time college visiting recently. Tomorrow my two friends and I are driving up to check out Amherst and Williams, and I've already been to Boston to look at Tufts, Boston College, and a few others. I think in the end I'm probably going to end up going to Brown, as I have strong legacy (my dad and his sister went there), I spent last summer there doing pre-college programs, I already fit the profile with my grades, SAT score and extra-curriculars, and for icing on the cake through her job my mom happens to be pretty good friends with the dean of admissions, so I figure if I early apply I should be a shoe-in, which would let me avoid all the stress of college admissions lol buuuuuuuuut i figure it's always good to keep your options open which is why I'm spending my spring break checking out colleges :)

edit: yes i am kind of a spoiled braggy douche sorry

i decided to nix my animation & graphic design major and applied to the southern california institute of architecture. i just got my acceptance letter and will be starting this fall :toast:

If you're thinking about engineering, you should consider Virginia Tech.

/might be biased

Overall it might bit a bit mediocre, but as a technical school, it's engineering program is very good. Agriculture and architecture (supposedly #1 in the country) aren't too shabby either.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've been accepted to Renssalear Polytech and Case Western and am waiting to hear back from CMU. If I get into CMU SCS, I'm going without a doubt.

I love these threads - they help to vent anxiety

Ontarian also right here, I've been accepted to Queen's Engineering, Waterloo honours Co-op Software Engineering, and U of T Engineering Science.

Queens gave me a bunch of money on scholarships and bursary, but I probably still can't justify the expense of going. Cool atmosphere and pretty renowned though.

Waterloo will get me a solid job with little effort on my part, or so I've heard, and co-op helps monetarily.

U of T is kickass prestigious, especially the program I've been accepted to. Also it's in Toronto which unlike Waterloo has some kind of a city night life. I love concerts!

So yeah tough decision, but I'll make it eventually. Or rather before 2 months are up cause that's when offers expire. Fuck that.

I just started college this year actually, I'm attending the Evergreen state college in Washington state ( And I'm from New york, so its the opposite side of the country ! )

Evergreen is near the Olympia/Tacoma area in Washington if anyone's near there. Also its great to see everyone planning to do some form of higher education.

Chill Murray

get well soon jacoby..
I can tell you that the Lehigh Valley is really fucking boring, so if you are looking for an active off-campus life I'd suggest looking elsewhere.

Don't go to RIT. As a graduate I can say that it isn't what it used to be.

I hope to be attending UBuffalo law school. I'm still waiting to hear from Case Western and Albany before I decide.
care to explain?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)