Project USUM Team Building Competition (v2)! (Round 7: Vivillon)

Is Eternally a cute user?

• Yes

Votes: 126 48.3%
  • No

Votes: 99 37.9%
  • Hai :3

Votes: 105 40.2%

• Total voters

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Congratulations to quziel for winning Round 25!
Round 26: Kabutops

Kabutops has been a fun Pokemon to use recently, especially on hyper offense teams. Will be interesting to see what types of teams you people can build!
Deadline for submissions is (2 / 22 / 19)
Have fun everyone :toast:!​

https://pokepast.es/6ab3d330d9d72469 *I mean to replace Freeze Dry with Spikes, sorry for the inconvenience.

Kabutops -

The main reason I built the team is that Fossil Pokemon. Kabutops has a ton of versatile sets like CB, Life Orb, Rocks + Rapid Spin, and Swift Swim sweeper (the one I chose). So I mainly decided to follow mainly that archetype & tried to come up with many things which'd greatly benefit from the Rain. Rockium Z is a good addition to Kabutops because it helps destroy Slowbro, Heliolisk, & Vileplume which are it's main counters to the team.

Liepard -

This mon doesn't get used that often in NU, so I decided to bring it back from obscurity and made it one of the Rain setters on my team. Damp Rock helps my Rain last longer. T-Wave & Knock Off are great support moves that cripple the opposing team to support Kabutops endeavors. U-Turn pivots it out of no good situations and makes it less passive. Xatu & Liepard form a good core as Xatu pressures Fighting types and Liepard pressures Rotom.

Ludicolo -

This is the bread of the team. It helps the team versus Bulky-Water types even further with Giga Drain . Substitute grants it more longevity & it's good against passive foes. Hydro Pump gives Ludicolo power to push through some opponents & Ice Beam is just coverage for Flying types & Grass types.

Heliolisk -

Greatly fits into the rain team with its ability Dry Skin which gives it a source of recovery in the rain. It forms a VoltTurn core with Xatu & Liepard. It's a great wallbreaker and one of the best Pokemon in NU right now with STAB like Hyper Voice, Thunderbolt, & great coverage like Surf (benefits from the rain), Grass Knot, Dark Pulse, & Focus Blast.

Xatu -

Keeps hazards off my field, beats Ferroseed (one of the main nuisances to my team), gives off Rain just in case my Liepard is either KO'd or in a state where it can't be on the field. Beats Steelix 1v1 and other rockers.

Glalie Mega -

This greatly benefits from rain like Heliolisk because it doesn't get crippled by Fire Attacks & cripples Fire types. This is my go-to Vileplume check that can OHKO it with STAB Return because Vileplume is a bigger nuisance to the team than Ferroseed. It also provides Hazard Control for the team because it lacks Hazards in the form of Spikes.

In conclusion, this team pressures all of its checks & counters by supporting each other with its kill-power. Each of them greatly benefit from one another.

Abejas

Yo where Ken at
is a Top Tiering Contributor

The team is built around SD kabutops which is a really scary set-up sweeper, being able to OHKO av slowbro and vileplume with just one Swords Dance, while also having the posibility to get a free +2 speed if its ever hit by a physical attack. The downside is that Passimian can easily take a +2 aqua jet and just blow it back, so Weezing was added to punish this mon while also providing a solid comfey check (mon that can also easily revenge kill kabutops). Weezing also offers kabutops toxic spikes which is great to whittle some of its check. Rhydon was included in the team to provide stealth rocks while also providing a solid incineroar check and an electric immunity. Passimian gives the team a form of speed control and provides momentum, Heliolisk also gives a form of momentum while also being a stronger special breaker that can check slowbro. Finally Dhelmise offers the team a form of hazard control while also checking most rockers.

https://pokepast.es/4d3dd4c877263c91
[Image: incineroar.gif]
[Image: comfey.gif]

This is an odd team in how it's built so I can see why people might not agree with it. Kabutops and Comfey are the priority sweepers. I dunno why but, I really wanted to pair up a mon that can sweep alongside Kabutops so, I chose Comfey since they hit different sides of the spectrum (Physically & Specially); also, Tops is good early-mid game while Comfey is great mid-late game. It can be a very annoying pair if played right. So, I added Mismagius with taunt to help with breaking stall. Steelix is phazing, rocking, and tanking. Golbat is for fighting types and defogging primarily. Incineroar is banded for better U-Turn damage. Spread is a bit weird, but I just wanted it to out speed bulky Blastoise, tank hits if needed on the physical end, and be able to deal massive damage whenever.

Kev

Part of the journey is the end
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Kabutops Rain Team
A fun rain team which takes advantage of hail not being as common.

Rain Setters: Mesprit and Garbodor. Mesprit can set up rocks as well as rain, while being able to pivot out and healing wish to bring in a fresh swimmer later in the game. Garbodor was chose as the second rain setter because its less expected, can set up hazards of its own, and handles Comfey who can be quite troublesome for the team.

Swift Swimmers: Ludicolo and Kabutops. Ludicolo has some nice coverage that allows it to pressure many pokemon in the meta while Kabutop's Continental Crush is a massive nuke after an SD. Also, both these pokemon are able to beat Abomasnow if it tries coming in on them to stop the rain.

Other Rain Abuser: Heliolisk. Dry Skin + LO is great and it can run Thunder to deliver huge damage

Finally, I included Comfey because it can clean later in the match since the offensive Pokemon put a lot of pressure on its checks

Last edited:

i'm really tired so sorry for my bad redaction and i'm a bit late but ig it doesn't matter
okay so i wanted to take a very offensive approach and i ended up building a volturn ho. i inicially started with a hazard stack core in suicide lead drud + m glalie to keep the pressure with spikes and give a clean switch in to a breaker with explosion. then i added the main theme of this week, kabutops. i wasn't sure about the set since it was an early stage of the build so i left the spread empty in the meantime. the team lacked a special power house and i decided helio would fit in better than mons like magmortar bc 1 i already had glalie which was weak to rocks and 2 it keeps the momentum by my side thanks to volt switch. life orb is the item of choice bc facing protect mons is always annoying when you're playing a volturn and having too many choiced mons is inefficient, makes the team harder to use. at this point i felt like the team was too grounded so i wanted to add a flying type / levitate user. mesprit came to my mind bc i had an old team with cm uxie (please come back to nu) and rw used it recently in spl with the same purpose so i thought of it as a cool experiment that added a nice surprise factor. lastly i just closed it up with passimian bc the team seemed fairly weak to dark types and i needed some speed control. then i just had to decide which spread i wanted to run to make kabutops work, and looking back at the team it seemed somewhat weak to hazards and thanks to rapid spin this mon was able to do the job. sd + stabs to abuse of its nice typing, shuca berry is there to not get forced out by most of the rockers with ground coverage and i also didnt want to use life orb twice bc i felt like it would've made the team too frail. the team as it was got obliterated by opposing helio or breakers in general so i ended up changing glalie for sneasel to trap them after they got 1 kill instead of 5, it also keeps the offensive pressence and while not being the best ice type imo it still is decently good, at least in this build. i tested it a couple times and it was fun enough to post it so enjoy!

Kev, cause thats prolly how rain should look like rn.
T1 has trouble with comfey and tspikes, t2 is rly cool but after trying it out, i noticed it cant really punish opp clicking psychic. T3 cant punish opp clicking scald and t5 cant punish passimian clicking cc with mesprit and passimian checks in the back. Rly cool slate though and fun teams all around

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Congratulations to Kev for winning round 26!
Round 27

Round 27 is Weezing, as it has shown higher usage recently, especially in the tournament setting. It is a very underrated Toxic Spike user amongst the general community, so hopefully this will expose more minds to Weezing (and it does NOT make Garbodor worse lol).
Deadline for submissions is (3 / 1/ 19)
Have fun everyone :toast:!​

Last edited:

Jisoo

two slow dancers last ones out
is a Pre-Contributoris a Past SPL Champion
Importable

Interesting build I made over the weekend, really proud of it. Built around the concept of TSpikes + SubCMTect Delphox + Poison Lure. I chose Weezing and Whimsicott for these roles because IMO Weezing brings the most defensive utility to a team at the moment with being a ground, fighting, and fairy resist and having wisp while not being a complete pushover with Sludge Bomb because of the poison chance. Chose Whimsicott because with Psychium Z you lure both Golbat and Vileplume which can be extremely annoying for balance while possessing a really good speed tier, U-Turn, and above average damage output with your STAB moves. Mega Glalie serves as the wallbreaker on this team with it's stupidly strong Double-Edge and amazing coverage with Freeze-Dry and Earthquake that punishes fat cores and especially Xatu teams because you can fish for a poison with Weezing and then go to Glalie on the Roost. Spikes are also quite serviceable and punishes the Passimian + Heliolisk core pretty hard with residual damage, a very good thing to have in the current meta IMO. The last two Pokemon are pretty unorthodox but they serve their purposes very well on this build as the hazard/hazard control core. Hitmontop is a strong blanket physical attacker check with Intimidate and 50/95/115 defenses. It has Rapid Spin and Foresight (to Spin on the likes of Dhelmise and such) as well as Protect for Leftovers recovery and getting more residual damage with Toxic Spikes (and general Choice scouting). It's a very solid check to Incineroar and Mega Glalie, the best and third-best offensive Pokemon at the moment, in my opinion. Palossand is the Rocker, Spinblocker, and Knock absorber (so Hitmontop doesn't get Leftovers knocked off the first turn of the battle, which would happen if you didn't have an absorber lol) for this team and it does all three very effectively. Not much more to say here, I feel like a spinblocker is really necessary on every spike stack so here it is.

The Delphox set is super busted right now and can 1v1 sooo many Pokemon with even just 1 TSpike, most notably AV Bro and Incineroar. Shoutout to Lax for using it. Hope you enjoy, this team is super tested and I've been having good success with it in friendlies and on the ladder.

edit: beat a rain team with it lol

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)