Project Underused Teambuilding Competition - Week 77: Building! (Shaymin)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the giant number of votes coming in this week! It means a lot to me that this thread can have such a strong turnout even after a whole year's worth of content. I definitely couldn't have kept this thread afloat on my own by an means, thanks to everyone who throws a team at me once a week :psyglad:

Without further ado, the votes came in this week as such:

Accelgor - 7
Hot N Cold - 5
itsjustdrew - 3
Sabbio - 1
Smallsmallrose - 1

...so congrats to Accelgor for winning the week!

On the slate for this week is Crawdaunt. This Pokemon has gone off the radar until fairly recently, but the new staples of balance in the tier like Hoppowdon, Florges, and Empoleon can get punched through with its absurdly strong Water- and Dark-type STABs boosted by Adaptability. Unfortunately it can be held back by its mediocre Speed stat and thin defenses, making it somewhat difficult for it to come in safely and break teams. Bring in all the submissions by Saturday night as per usual!

Crawdaunt @ Waterium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Scizor @ Iron Plate
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Defog

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Roar

Cobalion @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Volt Switch
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Ok, so, as this is my first contribution to the thread I went for something quite standard. Crawdaunt is a great fat destroyer, especially considering that it sends to the moon the common Hippo + Empo cores. I chose a waterium Z set to maximize its breaking capability, at the expense of some immediate prowess. I wanted something to bring the crab in safely, so I threw it in a standard Volturn Offense archetype, where it can function as the breaker (it also punches through stall). Mega-Mane + Scizor was a nobrainer, as they function as an excellent Volturn core. I went for a more versatile Manectric set. I shied away from banded Scizor as I wanted a secondary wincon with a good match up vs Offense, and SD Scizor could offer me that. I added Scarf Hydreigon for speed control and hazard removal. Drei is one of the three/four best scarfers in the tier, I liked it especially since it can keep up momentum and it offers utility. Swampert is a standard Volturn rocker - I wanted it because it has a good match-up vs Hippo + Empo cores (as the team is somewhat designed to destroy those). It is also the main Scizor check and a Mega-Mane soft check (which I hope to handle with Hydra + my Mane). Cobalion is a secondary Scizor check - I love this set since it punishes U-Turn and keeps up the momentum with volt switch. It is a combination of the pivot set and the breaker set, and it function as a very versatile pivot for the team, weakening opposing walls and sometimes surprising switch-ins with volt switch. Cobalion also makes the Scarf Lati match-up a bit less horrible, considering that my team is pretty weak to Scarf Lati repeatedly coming back and revenging my squad.

Go easy on me! I hope this was a nice contribution to the competition.

Last edited:

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Haven't posted in awhile, thought I'd share this team I used in Snake since its been incredibly fun to use as well as surprisingly potent and effective. Crawdaunt doesn't get a lot of love and I'd like to see that change as it's a scary, albeit hard to build with breaker and cleaner in one.

https://pokepast.es/bf6b879d29cdac34

Hyper Offense is a pretty fitting archetype for a glass cannon. Band is pretty much the only Crawdaunt I would ever consider using, but it's damn good at its job of functioning both as an early game breaker and a late game cleaner with Aqua Jet. Adamant forces stuff like Hydreigon to either Roost or die, gets you notable kills with Aqua Jet combined with Rocky Helmet chip on things like Terrakion. Manectric is necessary on these teams as a pivot and Scizor check, and the sheer number of Pokemon that beat Ground-types can often lead to it becoming a potent cleaner late game with them removed. Signal Beam is a cool tech here to increase the odds of me softening Hydreigon for Crawdaunt and Decidueye, while also being useful to hit Latias, Celebi, and Krookodile. Scarf Latias is only valid on HO, where its niche of blazing speed and Healing Wish can come into use, it fits the team nicely and let's me use my breakers more aggressively early. Mamo is always a solid pick for offensive teams, here im using four attacks with freeze dry to maximize my chances of softening Waters and Grounds. I find using Mamo as a rocker can limit its potential as an offensive threat and All Out Attacker sets really do it more justice. Cobalion is the Rocker and Steel-type of choice, Rocky Helmet has good synergy with Crawdaunt in chipping things to Aqua Jet range for cleaning, and Stone Edge is used here to lure Moltres which otherwise as problematic. As you Rock the Moltres likely has to to stay in to Defog, or if using a spinner they'll most likely stay in to fire off a STAB. Finally, Decidueye is the nail in the coffin for stall teams, as well as just another solid opener where you can use the Z move relatively safely early game and get huge damsge. A substitute user to take advantage of passive things like Blissey or Alomomola or even easing prediction on switches like Hard Krookodile is great to have.

A lot of the "tricky" matchups on paper for this team are stupidly easy to break, Hydreigon basically gets one switchin due to Mane carrying Signal Beam and Decidueye's Z move and Crawdaunt's STABs doing more than half a piece. Moltres gets lured by Cobalion, Latias can only really come in on sacs or Cobalion and as long as you have your own or Mamo active it won't ever sweep. No Fairy resist isn't that big of a deal as Primarina forces a trade even if you didn't have a Steel that resists Fairy.

Hyper Offense is pretty underexplored right now I think it'd be cool if other people had their own takes on what Crawdaunt can do for the playstyle n.n

Last edited:

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
ok

https://pokepast.es/6c39793a4dc8d24b

Fun team I peaked ladder with a couple of days ago on mister vain. Started out building with Crawdaunt because it’s been receiving a fair amount of hype recently, although I prefer Crunch over Superpower and Adamant over what I think is seen as more standard in Jolly. Manec is a rly obvious craw partner as it makes up for the deficiencies the crab has by providing speed+switch opportunities while Intim softens potential hits and in general it checks a few troublesome mons. Running Signal Beam here for the same reason as Sage, Ice is good too tho but don’t run hp grass that shit bad. Gligar was actually where I went next and probably represents the most “out of place” mon on this team but it’s actually been one of the most valuable members as it’s great mixed bulk, typing and slow uturn allows me to use it to soak up a hell of a lot of punishment, get rocks and provide free switches for my other team members. Just don’t play it too conservatively unless it’s absolutely necessary, a lot of the time you don’t need it to be pristine to let it do what it does and playing too passively will impact on the teams performance. Keys adds Spikes, a Draco sponge and in general just acts as the glue it always does for these kinds of offenses. Spikes / P Rough / T Wave are always mandatory but you can mess around with the last slot a bit, Toxic and Magnet Rise are the usual cool options but Heal Block can be fun too. Latias fills some holes with its typing and generally provides me with a means of high damage output, as Drake is so stupidly strong at +1. Despite Gligar looking the most out of place I’d actually say Scizor is the easiest mon to change on this but I just slapped it on as the extra priority plus Pursuit and extra pivot were a really nice fit here. I feel like this is a team that you can generally find a work around for any matchup with, because the double cb priority plus keys generally keeps offense in hand, while the crab / latias / scizor / manectric tend to be very difficult for bulkier teams to handle. Primarina looks like it should be an issue but I’ve really not had that much trouble with it in practice, maybe if you do you can try changing Lati to elec z and see if that makes a difference.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-801445621 vs a Prim

Last edited:

Accel

thanks for the memories
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Crunch
- Aqua Jet

Scizor @ Iron Plate
Ability: Technician
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Ability: Intimidate
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Volt Switch

Primarina @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Sparkling Aria

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Tailwind
- U-turn

So far, every submission for this week has supported Crawdaunt via the voltturn core of Scizor and Mega Manectric. I've implemented the same trend for my team, for it is probably the most effective way to complement Crawdaunt and its notoriety for being a frail wallbreaker. Choice Band Crawdaunt has generally been picking up some traction lately, and it immediately stood out to me as the set to run when surrounding it with pivots. I personally would rather appreciate the option to fire off an absurdly strong hit than try and rely on something like Swords Dance Crawdaunt which generally doesn't find ample opportunities to set up and function properly. I have opted to run a SD Roost set on Scizor, mainly to help check Latias while also retaining some survivability should a game last longer than expected. Mega Manectric runs its standard set with HP Grass to help keep Quagsire based stalls in line and truly shine as a supporting pivot against bulkier teams in general. Choice Specs Primarina provides insurance versus opposing Hydreigon, which could otherwise have its way with the rest of the team, while also giving the team a secondary wallbreaking option alongside Crawdaunt. I've really enjoyed the offensive combination of Crawdaunt and Primarina thus far, as the two offensively complement each other very well and can usually wear down the other's checks. Nidoking brings another wallbreaker into the fold, sets up the mandatory Stealth Rock, and provides the team with a Ground-type to help keep opposing voltturn cores in check. Choice Scarf Hydreigon rounds out the team, benefitting the team with an immunity to Ground moves as well as an additonal pivot to bring in the team's wallbreakers more easily. More importantly, who doesn't love a fun way to further increase the impact of any one of the team's wallbreakers? Hydreigon's basically a tailwind to help boost the rest of the team's effectiveness!

I've had loads of fun in piloting this team myself, and implore others to try Crawdaunt out for themselves. It's one of the tier's most underrated wallbreakers, and trying out these kinds of underutilized options is one of the best ways to continually have fun with the game. :psywoke:

Sharpedo.png
Crawdaunt.png
Rotom-heat.png
Gligar.png
1536842287624.png
celebi.png

Sharpedo-Mega @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Liquidation
- Psychic Fangs
- Protect

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

Rotom-Heat @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Defog

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- U-turn

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic
- Play Rough

Celebi @ Groundium Z
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Earth Power

So I wanted to roll with the idea of Shark + Daunt. Since frankly I love both of my favorite gen 3 water/dark types and the idea of them teaming up to beat down their mutual answers like Hydra sounded absolutely delicious. So the first member of this team is the Shark. Great offense breaker, speed boost, yada yada. It loves when Crawdaunt puts tons of damage into, or straight up KOs Hydreigon, as that lets Sharpedo do it's thing in peace. Crawdaunt itself is a fantastic breaker on this team, firing off nuclear attacks without a care. I actually did want superpower here since OHKOing a Hydra is utterly fantastic for this team. Next up we have Rotom-H. Scizor check, Mamo check, flying check, defogger, all that good jazz. You expect it on a team like mine at this point. Next up is Gligar. Musketeers looked REEEEEEAL annoying. And so did Mega Manectrics. So I figured Gligar would be perfect, especially since it's U-turn retained momentum. Next up, we have Klefki. It checks Hydras, it checks Latis, it sets spikes for extra pressure, provides speed control, exactly what you'd expect a Klefki to do. I love this darn thing. Last up, we have a Celebi. I wanted a water resist that didn't get slammed by scald and I still wanted another fat breaking mon, preferably a special one since Shark and Daunt already handle the physical end. Celebi is great here, and even takes advantage of it's buddies beating Hydra down. I hope you like the team!

Last edited:
(Mega obviously but gen 5 sprites are the best)

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Crunch

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Symbiosis
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Synthesis
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

Moltres @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Defog

Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Of course like the majority of these other submissions, this team also features the infamous Mega Mane+Crawdaunt but I also wanted to try out Florges because it walls Hydreigon for days which is one of the better Daunt switch ins. Florges also gives the team a bit of role compression by removing hazards and uses Aromatherapy in the event that my Crawdaunt gets burned. It is a slight momentum suck, but this is better than Sylveon because Sylveon is shit and is the biggest momentum killer of UU so using Sylveon 2.0 is better than nothing. In the original build, Cobalion was the rocker and he still fits in this one so I kept him in. Shuca is still nice to absorb any incoming Ground attack if necessary especially since I’ve been seeing more Coba’s using Rocky Helmet over Shuca. It’s also an emergency Hydreigon check in a rare scenario that my Florges faints. Krookodile is just doing his thing again as a Scarfed Pursuit trapper. Intimidate is also useful to weaken mons so that Daunt’s job of breaking is easier. Moltres is to deal with Scizor and to also revenge kill DD Mega Altaria which is something that this team really struggles with. Also Flyinium is stronk. Finally, I have Mega Mane to make this some nice speedy Balance. Both Mega Mane and Krookodile forms some nice Intimidate synergy so that Crawdaunt takes less damage from incoming attacks. Also HP Grass is just so that Swampert and Rhyperior doesn’t kill the momentum (my motto is that HP Grass isn’t ass Freeroamer). So yeah that’s the team!

I also have a threatlist and a replay:

Suicune and both of the Bros
This team’s biggest issue is that Crawdaunt is the only Water resist which means when I’m up against a Suicune or a set up sweeper Slowbro or Mega Bro, then that means I’ll have to play around with my Crawdaunt and Mega Manectric carefully. Florges does take Scalds for days and has Aroma if my Crawdaunt gets burned but this is still an annoying matchup.

Primarina
Any balance that lacks Empoleon is usually going to be a little weak to Primarina. This is however not a completely hopeless matchup since Florges continues to be one bulky B and Moltres and Mega Mane revenge kill it nicely. Primarina also has trouble switching in to most things on this team since it loses to Florges in the long run even if it does switch in to take a Moonblast and Primarina is not a Crawdaunt check by any means.

Mega Altaria
Mega Altaria has definitely seen better days, but the Dragon Dance set is annoying as hell for this team. Florges does live a +1 Return/Frustration at max and retaliates back with Moonblast but that just feels like a perfect scenario if my Florges is at that state of health. Moltres is able to revenge kill Mega Alt though as long as rocks are removed beforehand since Mega Altaria will be discouraged of getting burned and Moltres just kills it with Supersonic Skystrike. The 3 Attacks+Roost set is easy for this team to deal with though since Florges is too thicc for that shit.

Replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-805300683
(I won my first match of the UU Best Friends Tour with this team as Crawdaunt keeps bringing down the Crabhammer and breaks a Block Slowbro)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)