Undergraduate thread

Second year at Tufts University. Physics and Math major. It's going great and I am really passionate about my disciplines. I'm currently taking Intro to Modern Physics, Optics and Wave Motion, Abstract Algebra (Group Theory), and Principles of Economics. I have already taken Multivariable Calc, Intro level Physics courses in mechanics and E&M, Intermediate Mechanics with Lagrangian methods, Complex Analysis, Proof-based linear algebra (mostly theory), and some C++. Tufts is great but I can't find enough people into competitive Pokemon. If there are any Smogonites around Boston, holler and we can arrange something. I don't bite, and I hope you don't either.

Grey Knight if you ever need to practise german feel free to ask me for help :)

Anyway im an "ersti" (freshman) studying in trier (its the oldest city in germany, right by luxembourg) and doing my bachelor in japanese and vwl (economics i guess). I've decided to drop statistik becase the workload at the beginniny is pretty intense, what with learning all the hiragana, katakana and *gulp* kanji. Ill just do it in my fifth semester. Other than that uni life has been an absolute blast so far, its so social!

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Second year at Tufts University. Physics and Math major. It's going great and I am really passionate about my disciplines. I'm currently taking Intro to Modern Physics, Optics and Wave Motion, Abstract Algebra (Group Theory), and Principles of Economics. I have already taken Multivariable Calc, Intro level Physics courses in mechanics and E&M, Intermediate Mechanics with Lagrangian methods, Complex Analysis, Proof-based linear algebra (mostly theory), and some C++. Tufts is great but I can't find enough people into competitive Pokemon. If there are any Smogonites around Boston, holler and we can arrange something. I don't bite, and I hope you don't either.
just transferred from there, you're on your own bud

just transferred from there, you're on your own bud
what the hell, i thought you liked it there. what are you doing now?

anyway I'm a senior at the university of texas at dallas doing software engineering. I transferred from the university of oklahoma. I actually won't graduate till next december, so I'm hoping to land a good internship for this summer. I've already interviewed with a few companies, and got an on-site interview at one company so far, so I'm pretty excited about my prospects and opportunities right now!

I was really debating whether to put myself in the post-grad or undergrad thread because of my history. The short version is I dropped out of college in 2009 when I was studying animation because I was terribly burnt out. I was out of school from then until I decided to return earlier in the year. I'll be registering for classes tomorrow for spring semester and am majoring in Physics. Hoping after a year and a half to transfer to the University of Pittsburgh for my bachelors, and decide where to go for grad school after that.

As for the transition from art to science, it stems from a massive hero complex I have that started when I watched Power Rangers at age 4 to now where my job is taking care of the elderly. I originally wanted to use my creative skills as a storyteller and artist to inspire empathy and creativity in young people. I chose Physics as a field due to a curiosity towards the universe I've had since I was little, and was reinforced in recent years when watching Neil deGrasse Tyson and Carl Sagan speak so beautifully about the cosmos. I feel that the best service I can do to help improve the lives of others is to cultivate curiosity and innovation through teaching and researching through either Theoretical Physics or Astrophysics.

I'm 24 years old, and by all accounts, a college freshman. There's a stigma that comes with this, but I plan on fighting through and making a mark on young peoples' lives in the same way I take care of my residents at my job now.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
First year at a community college, classes and everything going well. Would like to be an English major but I would also like to get a job so considering something more practical. Pretty lost.
Coming from a fellow english undergrad, there is limitless scope in english, it just doesn't conform into spoon-fed niches in the industry. There are tons of stuff to go into from content writing, advertising, law, journalism, public policy, government service etc are the few options to begin pondering over.

Unlike most career-oriented courses. Your degree in english is only a starting point with the rest depending on your interest and how good you are. If you want a cozy job right out of college with a superb pay, or a clear defined path for higher studies with your given skill set. you might want to avoid that route because 80% of the time it's not happening (not impossible though)

Last semester (hopefully, unless I mess up big time) of Electric Engineering at Rio de Janeiro State University. As soon as I hand in my Final Project I should be free. That day I'll put Queen's We are the Champions on loop for 24 hours.

As for the future I want to work with projects or consulting. Somewhere down the line I want to study languages. Also, I want to be a pokemon master.

Nyktos

Custom Loser Title
What is that, ML? My current programming class (also second year) involves writing useless toy apps in Java, yours sounds much more interesting...

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What is that, ML? My current programming class (also second year) involves writing useless toy apps in Java, yours sounds much more interesting...
It's Haskell, albeit a slight variant where > is used to denote lines of code rather than comments.

Currently we're working on Compilers, Concurrent Programming, and Models of Computation. Oh and statistics but I already learned 90% of the course material in A levels.

For reference, I did Java apps last year, my main tools being a really shitty damage calculator and a spreadsheet.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
First-year Mechanical Engineering student at Cal Poly Pomona. However, I have come to the conclusion that getting the classes I need for my major is borderline impossible (I also like my major so why the fuck would I switch to something I probably wouldn't like as much), so I plan on transferring out at the end of the year, likely out-of-state because, really, California seems to suck for college since virtually all colleges here are impacted as hell. CPP is a great school, really, but it's just so damn impacted that I have reached the conclusion that staying here is counterproductive, as if I do stay here, I could end up spending 6+ years here just because I can't get the classes I need. Hell, I'd be lucky to graduate in FIVE years staying here.

With that said, any recommendations for schools to transfer to? I was going to transfer to Texas Tech University (I was admitted here when I was initially applying to colleges and now regret not going there), but if anyone has any recommendations, that'd be great.

I am a junior at University of Washington going towards a degree in software engineering with a minor in math. I am currently taking a Discrete math course as well as a GUI class. Being an ex running start student being a junior at 19 is pretty cool but also very challenging. If all goes well I should be graduating real soon!

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Update on my situation:

So I'm going to major in History, but I can't really get a certificate in anything because it requires me taking lower level classes for most of the certificates available, and I only need 28 higher level class credits in order to graduate. I'm really really really hoping I can swing a couple of the 500 level classes I took in the Education department to count towards the 28 I need, as that would mean I can finish out over the summer and graduate in August. This would allow me to not have to get a six-month lease (or worse a year-long lease) in Madison for the fall semester (and subsequently graduating in December).

I honestly have no idea what I want to do now with a History major, but I talked to an advisor a couple days ago who gave me a shit ton of links and job boards to look at so I'm going to be looking into that.

For those curious as to what you can do with a straight History degree, the answer is a lot, but at the same time almost nothing having to do with history, which is a big bummer ;-;. Most I guess go into teaching, which I've given up that pipe dream, and another large majority go on to grad school and professorships in a particular historical field, which you need a huge interest in a particular historical field to do (which I don't).

Apparently, most companies enjoy having non-Business majors among their ranks for what reasons I couldn't tell you, but I was looking at the where-people-who-graduated-last-year-are-now statistics, and it is all over the board from Google to the business sector of companies like Target, mostly in the HR department. Which isn't too bad from my view since that'd allow me to put my people skills to use in an actual career field.

All I know is is that I'm gonna be looking to get out of Wisconsin asap because it's just now starting to get cold and I'm already sick of it and there's no way I'm going to last more than another year in this shit. >:u Unless I get a job at like Epic, which then I guess I could muscle it out for a few more years.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm also concurrently working a seasonal job at a distribution warehouse for a game board and novelty toy company, which is a real cushy job and I love it.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So just finished and handed in three pieces of coursework, only to have received two new ones today.

At least these are just problem sheets and don't involve programming jack shit.

In the past two weeks, I've had to work in Haskell, C++, Java, FSP, Prolog, and Python. I don't think I can take much more.

The first project in C++ was building a german enigma machine, rotors, encoding, and all. Holy shit was that a pain in the ass to debug.

Second one was a large group project in Haskell and Java, writing a compiler. I actually feel really bad because in the group of 4, I did the least work because I was too busy working on my other courseworks, so it feels like I've just been riding the coattails of the others.

FSP is a logical state-driven syntax used for describing how models behave and what states they can take. It's procedural and helps to make graphical representations of concurrent systems. I then had to write a Java program that was my given system with GUI.

Prolog, Programming with Logic, is fucking living hell on earth that should never have to be learned by anybody. You know that riddle about how you have a Farmer, a Wolf, a Goat, and some Cabbage on one side of the river and he can only carry one across at a time? Yeah, imagine that puzzle with 9 elements. I had to write a program to solve that.

And then there's the Python I've been looking at for the site. chaos gave me some framework for writing something that'll rebuild old scms analyses into the new format. and I still fucked it up.

And to top it all off, there's one more programming lab exercise coming out on Monday.

little gk

competitive oosos player
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
im a 2nd year at st lawrence. was gonna do math then decided it sucks and now maybe econ???

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
2nd year at uc berkeley, planning on majoring in chem engineering =]

at this point my main goal is to find research during next semester so i can actually start getting involved in some real chemE stuff, so far courses have just been meh with me not getting too invested besides the work needed to get good grades. i want to actually feel involved in the field and learn interesting things because from what i've seen chemE research is actually pretty interesting. but i'm afraid if i don't like chemE i'm f*cked because my prereqs don't really work for anything else, maybe chem but i worked in a bio research lab for 2 summers and it was pretty homosexual =[, if all else fails i guess i would want to do comp sci since i'm ok at programming/logic but i would probably graduate in like 6 years since all i've done is learn matlab for engineering =/

2nd year at uc berkeley, planning on majoring in chem engineering =]

at this point my main goal is to find research during next semester so i can actually start getting involved in some real chemE stuff, so far courses have just been meh with me not getting too invested besides the work needed to get good grades. i want to actually feel involved in the field and learn interesting things because from what i've seen chemE research is actually pretty interesting. but i'm afraid if i don't like chemE i'm f*cked because my prereqs don't really work for anything else, maybe chem but i worked in a bio research lab for 2 summers and it was pretty homosexual =[, if all else fails i guess i would want to do comp sci since i'm ok at programming/logic but i would probably graduate in like 6 years since all i've done is learn matlab for engineering =/
Expanding your programming knowledge at the same time as maintaining your work would be an awesome way of looking into a research job while getting an introductory look at research. I'm not sure if this applies to all universities, granted, but at the University of Toronto a lot of opportunities were available to students from a computational standpoint that integrated aspects of chemical engineering, and quite varying ones as well. During the past summer (after my first year), I worked in computational simulations of biochemical reaction pathways, whereas a friend of mine worked on statistical analysis of atmospheric composition at varying locations in the country, and both of these opportunities were given through the Chem. Eng department at the university.

1st year law student at the Uni of Derby, England.

I'm smashing out my last two assignments of the year right now. One in the negligence area of tort and one in Constitutional Law and Civil Liberties. And... That's me really I guess. Well me at uni right now.

I'm also trying to find placements with law firms for the summer. Because hey, experience is a key part of looking for a job now.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
2nd year in college for animal care and hoping to transfer to vet tech next fall for another 2 years.

It does make classes easier when your actually interested in what your learning.

Building up my resume by volunteering while im in school since jobs love hiring people with experience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)