• Great attack + defense
  • Good STABs
  • Strong Jaw essentially give Tyrantrum STAB elemental fangs + Crunch
  • Head Smash
  • Good Boosting moves with RP and DD
  • Mediocre SpD, HP, and Speed
  • Worse off Dragon-Type Tyranitar
  • Priority Weak
  • Weak to common attacking types (fighting)

Dragon Dance
########
name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Head Smash
move 3: Ice Fang
move 4: Earthquake
ability: Strong Jaw
item: Focus Sash / Life Orb / Lum Berry
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
nature: Jolly

Moves
========
  • Dragon Dance gives Tyrantrum a much needed boost to its speed and, powers up Ice Fang and Earthquake, and boosts Head Smash to ridiculous levels. At +1, Tyrantrum can outspeed all of the unboosted tier bar some Deoxys formes, Mega Alakazam, and Mega Aersodactyl.
  • Head Smash turns into a 225 BP attack after applying STAB, but has a severe 50% recoil. It can OHKO or 2HKO all of the tier at +1 bar Ferrothorn and Mega Aggron.
  • Ice Fang is used for coverage and getting in KOs on Dragons and some other pokes, such as Garchomp, Dragonite, Gliscor, and Landorus-T. Not to mention the 10% freeze chance and flinch chance (if Tyrantrum goes last only).
  • Earthquake and Stone Edge / Head Smash give Tyrantrum almost perfect coverage. Earthquake can deal with Steel-types that take minimal damage from Ice Fang and Head Smash / Stone Edge, for instance (Mega) Lucario and Excadrill.

Set Details
========
  • The HP EVs are to give Tyrantrum on more total, giving Tyrantrum a little more bulk.
  • The Attack EVs are to make Tyrantrum hit as hard as it can without an Adamant nature.
  • The speed EVs give Tyrantrum the much needed speed to outpace certain opponents.
  • Jolly nature is recommended in order to outspeed a majority of the unboosted tier.
  • Adamant can be used to give more power when running Rock Polish.
  • Focus Sash gives Tyrantrum the ability to almost always set up DD, but is broken with hazards and multi-hit moves.
  • Life Orb Gives Tyrantrum enough power to make up for Adamant and can get in more KOs.
  • Since Burn makes Tyrantrum much less threatening, a Lum Berry can be used to stop a burn in its tracks. Since Tyrantrum is weak in common attacks and is KO'd by a variety of Pokemon, sleep can be used for an easy switch and KO for the oppposing team; a Lum Berry can prevent this.

Usage Tips
========
  • If Focus Sash is used, make sure Tyrantrum is sent out when no entry hazards are on the field to keep the Sash intact. Keep in mind that if the Sash activates, Head Smash can only be used once and will always result in Tyrantrum fainting.
  • If using Life Orb / Lum Berry, try to switch into a physical Fire-type attack and set up on the switch.
  • Tyrantrum does well with late-game sweeping as it has almost unresisted coverage in this set.
  • If Tyrantrum is on low HP, almost always go for Head Smash, even if it is resisted by the opponent because it tends to do more than EQ or IF.
  • DD should almost always be the first move because Tyrantrum just doesn't have the raw power to do much without it.

Team Options
========
  • Pokemon that are weak to fire-types make for great partners as they can bait fire-type attacks that Tyrantrum can switch into and set up on, like Mega Scizor and Mega Lucario. Both of them also have access to Bullet Punch, which can make Fairies and Ice types that threaten Tyrantrum cry.
  • Pokemon that can set up entry Hazards make Tyrantrum's life a little easier as it doesn't have to suicide with Head Smash and can resort to other moves that will also KO after entry hazard damage. Forretress works well, and can also bait fire-type attacks for Tyrantrum.
  • Thunder Wave support from Kelfki or WoW support from Sableye help Tyrantrum's speed and defense respectively and sweeping capabilities.
  • Tailwind support can also be a boon to Tyrantrum because it can bolster its low speed without DD.

Rock Polish
########
name: Rock Polish
move 1: Rock Polish
item: Life Orb / Focus Sash / Lum Berry
nature: Jolly / Adamant

Moves
========
  • Rock Polish boosts Tyrantrum's speed higher all of the unboosted tier except Deoxys-S.
  • Moves are essentially the same as the last set with the biggest difference with Rock Polish instead of DD.

Set Details
========
  • EVs are to build up Tyrantrum's attacking capabilities
  • Jolly nature is recommended in order to outspeed Choice Scarf Latios at +2 and KO
  • Adamant can be used to give more power to the Attack stat because of losing out on +1 from DD.
  • Items are the same, except Life Orb is the best option to increse damage output.

Usage Tips
========
  • Same as last time. Switch into Talonflame.

Team Options
========
  • Same.

Other Options
########
  • Tyrantrum can opt for a Dragon STAB, such as Dragon Claw, but it is generally outclassed by Ice Fang due to coverage.
  • Tyrantrum can effectively run a defensive Stealth Rock set in the sand, but is usually outclassed by Tyranitar.
  • It can also run an Assualt Vest set in the sand, but once again, (Mega) Tyranitar does this better.
  • Crunch is a viable move that becomes a Base 120 attack after Strong Jaw, but does not provide anymore coverage than the set above, though it can hit Bronzong hard.
  • Stone Edge is a safer alternative with a lower BP and no recoil, though Tyrantrum misses out on many OHKOs, even at +1.

Checks & Counters
########
  • Mega-Lucario poses a great threat because it has access to both Bullet Punch and Mach Punch boosted by Adaptability and can OHKO Tyrantrum.
  • Anything faster that can hit Tyrantrum Super effectively, especially Special Attackers.
  • Levitating / Air Balloon Steel-Types resist all of Tyrantrum's attacks and can KO with their Steel STAB, like Bronzong.
  • Faster Pokemon are a nuisance to DD when while Defensive Pokemon are a pain to RP

Last edited:

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'll start by saying I've never used Tyrantrum, but that I have played against it, so I have at least a tiny bit of battle experience with it. I know this is a WIP, but there are a couple things already in the overview and first set that I noticed were missing.

First off, I think you should mention that Tyrantrum faces a ton of competition from fellow dinosaur Tyranitar. It's pretty hard to justify the use of Tyrantrum when Tyranitar exists, so make sure you're highlighting what separates Tyrantrum from Tyranitar. I can't really give you much myself, since I haven't used it, but I know enough about how awesome Tyranitar is to assume that Tyrantrum's going to be under a lot of pressure in the teambuilding process.

That leads me to my second point. Head Smash needs to be in every single set. If there's any way to differentiate Tyrantrum from Tyranitar, it's this, as it completely outdamages Tyranitar's Stone Edge despite Tyrantrum's lower attack stat. Even if the player opts for Strong Jaw over Rock Head, without Head Smash, Tyrantrum just seems too inferior to Tyranitar, who otherwise does a DD set better.

That's about all I can give for now, as again I have very little experience using Tyrantrum. But I have a lot of experience using Tyranitar, and I would say the set you currently have now has very little to offer over Tyranitar's DD capabilities.

Cyclic, IIRC Rock Head Tyrantrum is not legally available yet.
I'll be honest I don't use Tyrantrum and even rarely see it, but I'm actually of the opinion that Tyrantrum is just strictly outclassed by other DD users.
Lower stats, bad speed, bad special bulk.
The movepool is ok and Strong Jaw is decent, but other DD users has better neutral coverage with stronger and faster Outrage/Dragon Claw/Waterfall/etc.

Rock polish / Head smash is the only viable set for Tyrantrum in OU, the DD is outclassed by mons like MegaTtar and his movepool is pretty sloppy.

CyclicCompound

is a Contributor Alumnus
Cyclic, IIRC Rock Head Tyrantrum is not legally available yet.
I'll be honest I don't use Tyrantrum and even rarely see it, but I'm actually of the opinion that Tyrantrum is just strictly outclassed by other DD users.
Lower stats, bad speed, bad special bulk.
The movepool is ok and Strong Jaw is decent, but other DD users has better neutral coverage with stronger and faster Outrage/Dragon Claw/Waterfall/etc.
Ahh, my bad on the Rock Head. That's a shame, seeing as Head Smash is literally the only reason I'd use Tyrantrum over T-tar. I'm not exactly sure how viable non-Rock Head + Head Smash is, but I'd still slash it in at the very least. I'd say the recoil's worth the insane power.

He's an average Stealth Rock setter at best. I've used the following set from the old XY Previews to mixed success, he can usually get rocks up, but he isn't doing much afterwards. Maybe a more defensive oriented nature and spread would work better, but I hate breeding him >.>

Stealth Rock Dino
########
name: Stealth Rock
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Stone Edge / Head Smash
item: Focus Sash / Life Orb
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly / Adamant

Head Smash is included if you want to use Life Orb instead of Sash, and the EdgeQuake is to give coverage. Ice Fang since all the beasties from pokebank are now prevalent. Has anyone tried him under Trick Room?

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Tyrantrum doesn't use a Mega Slot. Definitely mention that as a reason to use this over Mega DDTar. Mention possible (good) Mega teammates too.

On Dragon Dance do not even slash in Adamant. Adamant ties with Starmie at +1.

Slash Head Smash with Stone Edge. Even if Rock Head is missing Head Smash is another perk to using Tyrantrum over Tyranitar.

I never tried this, but any chance that a core Mega Ttar-Tyrantrum (A la Mence-Rayquaza, in previous gens Uber.) can work ? Imo it requires some testing.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Sadly, I was forced to use Tyrantrum quite extensively when I wrote up its preview, and after testing it, I learned that there's not much of a reason to use DD Tyrantrum unless you use Head Smash. Although it doesn't have access to Rock Head yet, Head Smash is just so damn powerful that it warrants a merit on most sets over Stone Edge, simply because it gives it a niche over other DD users, Mega Tyranitar in particular.

name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
item: Life Orb
nature: Jolly

A Jolly nature is essential on this set, or else Tyrantrum is outsped by key Pokemon at +1, like Alakazam, Greninja, Noivern, and tying with Starmie. Don't even bother slashing Adamant. Focus Sash is meh simply because I'd much rather use a Life Orb for insane power or Lefties for decent recovery. Focus Sash on sweepers has never been my cup of a tea, and it forces you to use it as a lead or pair with a spinner/defogger to keep its Sash intact. Life Orb + Head Smash may seem like a bad pairing, but it hits so damn hard and Tyrantrum has a decent HP stat. To be honest, I found DD Tyrantrum to be a better mid to early game wallbreaker that smashes through the opponents defense with Head Smash, so another sweeper can come in and clean up. Otherwise, it's just so overshadowed by other sweepers without Head Smash.

QC can suggest a better item, but for now, anything seems better than Focus Sash IMO.

Last edited:
You should slash Fire Fang with Ice Fang. EQ and Ice Fang won't leave a scratch on Ferrothorn, Skarm, ect. Although Ice Fang is good for Gliscor and Garchomp, Rock Head takes care of the Flying type dragons.

Gary

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You should slash Fire Fang with Ice Fang. EQ and Ice Fang won't leave a scratch on Ferrothorn, Skarm, ect. Although Ice Fang is good for Gliscor and Garchomp, Rock Head takes care of the Flying type dragons.
Head Smash 2HKOes Skarmory, as does Fire Fang, so it's a bit redundant. Fire Fang is really only for Ferrothorn, but Ice Fang hits multiple things such as Gliscor, Landorus, Garchomp, Zygarde, etc.

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Wow, ok. I'll summarize what has been said
  • Tyrantrum went extinct for a reason.
  • It evolved into Tyranitar (hence the name similarity)
  • STAB Head Smash coming off of a base 121 Attack is Tyrantrum's only niche in OU
  • Focus Sash is shit
  • Jolly is the only viable nature
  • Try MegaTTar and Tyrantrum core
  • Try defensive SR Tyrantrum
Looks like Tyrantrum only has one viable set....*sigh* I'll make the changes

Gary

Wow, ok. I'll summarize what has been said
  • Tyrantrum went extinct for a reason.
  • It evolved into Tyranitar (hence the name similarity)
  • STAB Head Smash coming off of a base 121 Attack is Tyrantrum's only niche in OU
  • Focus Sash is shit
  • Jolly is the only viable nature
  • Try MegaTTar and Tyrantrum core
  • Try defensive SR Tyrantrum
Looks like Tyrantrum only has one viable set....*sigh* I'll make the changes
Try Rock Polish Tyrantrum as well, because I found it to be a decent cleaner and viable enough to warrant it a set during Pre Bank, but that could have easily changed. Definitely test it first.

Minus

Try Rock Polish Tyrantrum as well, because I found it to be a decent cleaner and viable enough to warrant it a set during Pre Bank, but that could have easily changed. Definitely test it first.
Sure thing.

Is there any point in giving Tyrantrum a Dragon STAB? I'm pretty sure all of them are outclassed by Ice Fang, so I'm guessing not.

Gary

Sure thing.

Is there any point in giving Tyrantrum a Dragon STAB? I'm pretty sure all of them are outclassed by Ice Fang, so I'm guessing not.
Yeah it doesn't really give Tyrantrum any sort of useful coverage, and Ice Fang is superior in almost every way because it hits most of the Dragon-types for 4x super effective damage, including Landorus and Gliscor.

Minus

I tested out SR and I don't think that set even deserves a mention in OO. Cruch is ok, but pretty much outclassed by Ice Fang due to coverage.

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I recommend that you split Rock Polish and Dragon Dance into two different sets because they play differently to each other. Set up moves are very rarely slashed in Pokemon analyses when it makes the Pokemon play differently. I also would highly recommend you change the Set name from Coverage to something else; you're really overhyping how good the coverage is. I'd go far as to say you could move Stone Edge down to AC moves as Tyrantrum needs Head Smash to differentiate itself from its stiffest competitor: Tyranitar.

You also mention that Rock / Ground / Ice is unresisted, which technically isn't true because the Bronzong family resist all of the moves. This also means that you should put Bronzong into the Checks and Counters section (most likely under a "Defensive Counters" subheading or something). Bronzong can destroy Tyrantrum with its STAB Gyro Ball and brushes off all of the attacks on the main set. Finally, you should give other examples of why certain things are outclassed in OO. You mention the word "coverage" too much without much explanation of what it prevents Tyrantrum from hitting.

Last edited:
Reactions: trc

Minus

I recommend that you split Rock Polish and Dragon Dance into two different sets because they play differently to each other. Set up moves are very rarely slashed in Pokemon analyses when it makes the Pokemon play differently. I also would highly recommend you change the Set name from Coverage to something else; you're really overhyping how good the coverage is. I'd go far as to say you could move Stone Edge down to AC moves as Tyrantrum needs Head Smash to differentiate itself from its stiffest competitor: Tyranitar.

You also mention that Rock / Ground / Ice is unresisted, which technically isn't true because the Bronzong family resist all of the moves. This also means that you should put Bronzong into the Checks and Counters section (most likely under a "Defensive Counters" subheading or something). Bronzong can destroy Tyrantrum with its STAB Gyro Ball and brushes off all of the attacks on the main set. Finally, you should give other examples of why certain things are outclassed in OO. You mention the word "coverage" too much without much explanation of what it prevents Tyrantrum from hitting.
Labyrinthine, I appreciate you taking your time to look at this!

Hmmm??? From my testing DD and RP Tyrantrum play the exact same way...
Yeah, I couldn't think of a set name so I just picked something that described the set.
I'm pretty sure Bronzong is in checks and counters........ I don't get why none of the edits I made on my phone went through...

CyclicCompound

is a Contributor Alumnus
The main problem with keeping RP and DD on the same set is that it will take a lot of room to explain everything.

For example, one of the arguments for using a Jolly nature over Adamant on the RP set is that at +2 Tyrantrum can outspeed Scarf Latios, unless it is using an Adamant nature. However, this sort of information is irrelevant to DD variants since they'll rarely get to +2 speed. Their checks and counters are different, since RP tends to fail to get through bulkier mons whereas DD tends to fail to get past faster mons. So while they may "play the exact same way" as in "send it out against Talonflame and use a setup move," the threats each set has to work around are completely different. It's not enough to simply assume that the moves are interchangeable without serious pros and cons for each. Since these analyses are supposed to give the reader a good idea of which moveset is the best for their team, it's absolutely imperative that you give a good idea of what each setup move lets Tyrantrum do.

Because of that, I support Labyrinthine's suggestion to split the sets up.

Last edited:

Minus

The main problem with keeping RP and DD on the same set is that it will take a lot of room to explain everything.

For example, one of the arguments for using a Jolly nature over Adamant on the RP set is that at +2 Tyrantrum can outspeed Scarf Latios, unless it is using an Adamant nature. However, this sort of information is irrelevant to DD variants since they'll rarely get to +2 speed. Their checks and counters are different, since RP tends to fail to get through bulkier mons whereas DD tends to fail to get past faster mons. So while they may "play the exact same way" as in "send it out against Talonflame and use a setup move," the threats each set has to work around are completely different. It's not enough to simply assume that the moves are interchangeable without serious pros and cons for each. Since these analyses are supposed to give the reader a good idea of which moveset is the best for their team, it's absolutely imperative that you give a good idea of what each setup move lets Tyrantrum do.

Because of that, I support Labyrinthine's suggestion to split the sets up.
Labyrinthine and CyclicCompound I'll see to it then.

Okay, I have serious doubts about Tyrantrum's viability. I don't see any kind of notable niche it has and genuinely believe that it's outclassed by basically every other Dragon and even Tyranitar.

It's typing from a defensive standpoint is horrid. Weaknesses to common Ground, Fighting, Ice, Steel, and Dragon attacks is disappointing. I understand that it has quite a bit of physical bulk, making it a decent check to Talonflame with that 4x Fire resistance, but I don't feel like this is nearly enough of a justification to use it over something such as Garchomp. It's Special Defense is also ridiculously low. Defensively speaking, Garchomp is way better as a Stealth Rock support Pokemon, packing better typing, ability, movepool, and statspread. Offensively, Tyrantrum is undoubtedly outclassed by Dragonite and again Garchomp. It's got poor Speed and a lacking movepool, so I can't see it doing much of anything, even with its quite high base Attack. It's too easily revenge killed, really.

Tyrantrum would be way better once it gets Rock Head, but at the moment, I don't feel like it's even worth using in OU. I just can't find any good reason to use it, so for that reason, consider this as a temporary rejection to Tyrantrum getting an OU analysis. I'll see what others think, but I've spoken to a few already and they're sitting in the same boat.

QC REJECT 1/3

Minus

Yeah, I agree completely Fuzznip. I had a hard time trying to even keep it alive without Sash on Showdown.

On the bright side, I have a slot open to reserve Staraptor (If it's still open)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)