Tympole [qc 2/3]

chinchou is significant by itself

uh

tentacool / skrelp?

cottonee?

no SR weakness / ice shard neutrality?

idk

i don't think it's completely outclassed, only mostly outclassed

Whether or not tympole is completely outclassed is not entirely relevant as that does not merit whether or not this analyses should be here.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
It is actually somewhat outclassed by mantyke so say some cliche sentence like "Although somewhat outclassed by other Swift Swimmers, Tympole has a lot to offer…" in the overview.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Treecko, wouldn't you argue that Sandshrew was completely outclassed by Drilbur last generation? But they worked together as a hyper offensive double rush core. This is why I really wanted to emphasise other SwSwSweepers in the Team Options category, as they can form hyper offensive cores together to wear down Pokemon like Chinchou and Grass-types. Personally, I'd only ever run Tympole alongside Mantyke anyway.

One of the main issues with tympole I'm starting to realize is it's lack of stab on earth power unlike it's evos I'm going to add that.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I guess that's valid enough. I'd make a note of that somewhere in the analysis though. In general, you can cut out a decent amount of information from the Overview. For cons, all you really need to mention is its susceptibility to priority (this implies it's frail, so that's unnecessary), and that its generally outclassed as a Swift Swimmer due to its lack of secondary STAB and typing. The lack of STAB on Earth Power doesn't matter that much in terms of its viability in LC because no other Swift Swimmer (or viable Water-type) has access to Earth Power, with or without STAB. This gives it a niche that, while fulfilled in other tiers, is not fulfilled here.

You should also nix the mention that its a relatively unknown Pokemon; one of the biggest benefits to having analyses on the site is that if you don't know what something does when you face it, you can look it up in the Smogdex. This makes that point irrelevant.

Also in Checks and Counters, change the Cottonee part to "Stun Spore" instead of "Thunder Wave" and mention Chespin as a bulky Grass-type that doesn't care about Sludge Bomb (Bulletproof makes it immune).

In Other Options, mention that Scald can be used over HP Electric/Rain Dance to burn Munchlax on the switch. A burned Munchlax is pretty much a useless Munchlax unless it's running RestTalk.

I guess that's a stamp for this after that. I've pretty much wholly QCed this analysis at this point. 2/3 I think?

I will add in your changes and start writing this in paragraphs later today thanks treecko :)
edit: Treecko your changes have been made :)

Last edited:
You messed up the formatting for the set title. It should look like this:

Rain Sweeper
########
name: Rain Sweeper
move 1: Hydro Pump
move 2: Sludge Bomb
move 3: Earth Power
move 4: Rain dance / Hidden Power Electric
ability: Swift Swim
item: Life Orb
evs: 36 Def / 200 SpA / 240 Spe
ivs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA
nature: Modest

Hate to double post but it looks like I'm still one of the few if not the only user of tympole on the ladder. :(
| 243 | Tympole | 0.02835% | 110 | 0.118% | 91 | 0.122% |

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)