SM OU Two Speed Sweepers, Two Biomes (RainTerrain) (peaked 1550)

HEY THERE KIDS! MEGA SWAMPERT JUST GOT RELEASED, AND BOY, DON'T YOU WANNA JUMP ON THE BANDWAGON, DON'TCHA? Well you came to (hopefully) the right place. Because this isn't your Granddad's Oras rain...this is slightly improved (slightly). It's rain with a TWIST! Not one speed sweeper, but TWO! One is physical, one is special! But let's cut this Godawful intro and get on with the freaking team. (Shoutout to NixHex for suggesting the RMT and for the support of this team)

BIGG BOI (Swampert-Mega) (M) @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Power-Up Punch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Oh my Lord did Swampert get a MASSIVE buff this generation! When mega evolving, he gains all of the speed the mega does, that turn, and in the rain, is it scary. Waterfall is your standard spammable STAB, with the occasional added flinch, which can be very very clutch. EQ is better for when your main threats are gone and when swamp is out of the rain and you think he can be more useful, like if you have an attack boost. Ice punch is for those pesky grass types this team struggles with, although it's best to use only when the target is in the lower health percentage, because if you through a single leaf at this guy he'd die. Power-up Punch makes Swamp a crazy revenge killing monster, and is usually nice play if your opp is trying to stall out the weather, and switches to landorus (NO INTIMIDATE TODAY!). As for nature, Jolly is better than adamant to outspeed those max speed scarf keldeos.

Seaspray (Pelipper) (F) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 200 HP / 173 Def / 8 SpA / 127 Spe
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Roost
- U-turn

Pelipper is one of your main tech mons. Fat enough to take a hit, and in the rain (which it is 90% of the time) scary enough to dish some out as well. It's mainly there to set rain for swampert, ferro, and koko, but also plays a tremendous role in a slow U-turn user. Peli takes the hit, switches into swamp or Kyurem, and watches from the bench as the opponent scrambles to save the match, when this team pick up that much momentum. AS FOR THE WEIRD SPEED EVs! 127 is exactly one speed point over a mega Venu running 4 in speed, which, if mega venu is running anything in speed, it's most commonly 4. This way, peli can dish out fast hurricanes and really scare opposing grass types. Damp rock is item of choice for long lasting rain that truly brings out the team's potential, and makes it much more difficult for the opponent to stall out the weather.

TapuCocoPuffs (Tapu Koko) @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunder
- Taunt

Tapu Koko is always my Tapu of choice when it comes to team building. And when I was building a swampert team, I thought, hey, "Tapu Koko kind of fits in nicely, and thunder in the rain is awesome!" (it wasn't a genius moment). Koko is here mainly to set terrain, taunt smeargles and other hazard setters, (chansey included) and BRING THE HURT. Thunder can 2HKO Shift Gear Magearna (if it connects), which it does in rain. Sometimes, after a lead mon is taunted, u-turn comes in handy when said mon hard switches out. Terrain extender is here so Raichu gets full use, as well as Kyurem B's Fusion Bolt, and the support nearly the whole team gets by not being able to fall asleep. Crucial mon.

GNARLY, DUDE! (Raichu-Alola) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Surge Surfer
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

#MakeRaichuOU Raichu is your second main speed demon sweeper, next to swampert. Surge Surfer doubles your speed, similar to swift swim, in electric terrain. When i was already building with Koko, I decided to try something new and threw raichu on. I realized that mons that raichu struggled with, swampert picked up the slack, and vice versa. His moveset carries a lot of variety, being able to hit a lot of types effectively, and do a boat load of damage to boot. I decided on Tbolt over Thunder here because sometimes you have to sack a bird to keep his friends alive, and Life orb already does so much extra damage, I didn't think I would need it. But the best part about raichu and swampert duo is that if your opponent runs a weather heavy team, but not a Tapu heavy team, Raichu can sneak in and pick up kills where swampert can't, and vice versa. Finally, EVs are special oriented because he's much faster than swampert without boosts, however, he lacks power. So I did the obvious.

FREE HUGS! (Ferrothorn) (F) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

Ahh, the good ol' metal Cactus. Ferrothorn is here primarily to set up hazards and remove items, while causing residual damage all the time. Layers of Hazards make your two speed demons much more dangerous, and, while ferrothorn is around, not a whole lot of removal will get done. Mew? KNOCK. Fini? WHIP. Zapdos? (knock but in rain). He's also there to challenge and wear away other ferrothorn as I don't pack any fire moves, and I can't really rely on FocusMiss on Raichu, especially as Chopple is so common. Speaking of Chopple, it's the item of choice on a rain team, increasing ferro's longevity, and allowing him to take even more hits and set up

VANILLA ICE (Kyurem-Black) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Outrage
Finally, BANILLA ICEU, is here as a sort of middle man. He's a great wallbreaker, but typing also lets him take hits relatively easily. He runs a mixed set, because if raichu or swampert becomes unreliable, scarf Kyu can pick up the slack. Fusion bolt is a favorite to spam in terrain, as Kyu gets a boost for it.

IMPORTABLE

BIGG BOI (Swampert-Mega) (M) @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Power-Up Punch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Seaspray (Pelipper) (F) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 200 HP / 173 Def / 8 SpA / 127 Spe
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Roost
- U-turn

TapuCocoPuffs (Tapu Koko) @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunder
- Taunt

GNARLY, DUDE! (Raichu-Alola) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Surge Surfer
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

FREE HUGS! (Ferrothorn) (F) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

VANILLA ICE (Kyurem-Black) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Outrage

HANDFUL OF REPLAYS
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-597087220 verses mega mawile and friends
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-597125526 Verses memes (mono ice) (comeback kid)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-597125526 Verses mega ttar (some hax required)

H.M.N.I.P

https://youtu.be/pIr6TjG7Rko
is a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Hey 0verloud, that's a really cool rain team right here! The idea of running a solid rain core and Tapu Koko together is surely nice in the acutal metagame, so today I hopefully have some suggestions which will help you to improve the archetype of this team, and its matchup against the most common teams. In terms of team structure, it seems as you are focusing on making a solid rain-offense team. This is a fair decision since both Swampert and Raichu Alola - which in my opinion is a nice pokémon with a really good trait, paired with Tapu Koko - can punch holes in the opposing team, allowing a sweep of one between them. However, this team shows some flows against some common pokèmon in the metagame, like Offensive Landorus, Zygarde, Ash Greninja, both Greninja formes and BoltBeam Magearna, which as you can see, it's a really huge threat to this team. To fix all these problems, I have a couple of suggestions which will (hopefully) improve the team and give this team a nice matchup against the threats mentioned above. Let's now get onto it!
  • -change Swampert to Stealth Rock- This is something that instantly came in my mind as soon as I saw how bad the matchup against stall was. As Ferrothorn unfortunately can't set up hazards against stall, since Sableye can easily Bounce them on your field, and even burn you in a worse case scenario, Swampert instead can easily 2HKO the standard mixed defense Mega Sableye under rain support:
    (252 Atk Swampert-Mega Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 116 Def Sableye-Mega in Rain: 165-195 (54.4 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO). Power-Up-Punch is also a nice move when facing things like Clefable, which would otherwise stall the rain out, while recovering your Waterfalls, but as your team packs other ways of crippling it down, it's not really needed. I suggest keeping Jolly nature on Swampert, which may make it weaker, but this lets it outspeed a lot of mons including scarf Keldeo where it wouldn't otherwise.
  • -change Pelipper to Defogger- I feel like this change is really mandatory on this team. First of all, this Pelipper was running a really strange EVs spread, with a Serious Nature, which is the neutral one. Secondly, when you run a rain team, I don't think you want your main sweepers being crippled everytime they enter the field, because of hazards. Even Pelipper everytime it enters the field takes a 25% of damage from rocks, which is bad since it only allows you to come in 4 times at best, so that you just play without rain at that point. That's why I'm suggesting to change Hurricane to Defog: even if you lose a powerful STAB which always hits under rain, Defog easily helps you to keep hazards out of your field, which should help your team really much. The EVs spread I'm suggesting is 248 HP / 32 Def / 228 Sp.Def with a Bold Nature, which lets it take 2 Choice Scarf Hydro Pump Keldeo from full HP. 30 Speed IVs are there for getting a slow U-Turn against other Pelippers when facing another rain team.
  • -change Raichu-Alola to Nasty Plot- Raichu Alola is surely one of the most underrated threats in Rain teams. Its great ability and its wild movepool aren't something you can easily sleep one. One thing I believe I would change though, is its movepool in this team. I don't really feel like it needs Psychic in this team archetype, that's why I'm suggesting changing Psychic to Nasty Plot. Nasty Plot not only a mon that can easily punch holes in the opposing team, but it can also take some crucials hits on opposing mons that threatens your team a lot. Another cool option might be Grass Knot, which gives you a better matchup against the stall archetype with Quagsire, recently used during WCoP! Well these are some calcs I've done in order to let you see how strong boosted Thunderbolts (or other moves) at +2 are against some of the top mons of the meta:
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Charizard-Mega-X in Electric Terrain: 290-342 (97.6 - 115.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Koko in Electric Terrain: 320-377 (113.8 - 134.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Bulu: 315-372 (112 - 132.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Lele: 298-352 (106 - 125.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Magearna in Electric Terrain: 298-352 (82 - 96.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Magearna in Electric Terrain: 448-528 (148.8 - 175.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 629-743 (175.6 - 207.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

• -change Ferrothorn to Spikes- Cool specially defensive Ferro that helps a ton with mons like Mega Alakazam that would otherwise destroy this team. Rocks are important for every team and pressuring opponing mons from repeatedly coming in and offsetting rain, which is very important. In my eyes, both Gyro Ball and Power Whip are non negotiable on this set because Gyro Ball is necessary to check Mega Zam reliably while Power Whip is needed to make sure that matchup against opposing rain teams is pretty good. I guess Knock Off is fine though, even if I'm not a great fun of it. Another valid option might be Thunder Wave over Spikes, but honestly you don't really need a speed creep against other teams when you're using a rain team. Leftovers might also be an option on this set, but as I've previously said, you don't really want to be that Alakazam weak, as after it traces Swift Swim, it can easily punch holes in your team. I've also changed the EVs spread, which was really weird before. Now, it's the classic 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Sp.Def with a Bold Nature (because you're running Knock Off, if you run Gyro Ball make it Relaxed!), which helps a lot for taking on threats like Ash Greninja or Supersonic Skystrike Landorus, which are really problematic for the squad, if not correctly checked.
Well, that's all for this team, hope you like my suggestions, and hopefully you will manage to have a better matchup against the opposing teams of the meta. If you have any other question, feel free to hit me up on PS, and I'll be glad to answer. This is my version of your team, see ya! :toast:

(click on the sprites for the importable)

Last edited:
Hey 0verloud, that's a really cool rain team right here! The idea of running a solid rain core and Tapu Koko together is surely nice in the acutal metagame, so today I hopefully have some suggestions which will help you to improve the archetype of this team, and its matchup against the most common teams. In terms of team structure, it seems as you are focusing on making a solid rain-offense team. This is a fair decision since both Swampert and Raichu Alola - which in my opinion is a nice pokémon with a really good trait, paired with Tapu Koko - can punch holes in the opposing team, allowing a sweep of one between them. However, this team shows some flows against some common pokèmon in the metagame, like Offensive Landorus, Zygarde, Ash Greninja, both Greninja formes and BoltBeam Magearna, which as you can see, it's a really huge threat to this team. To fix all these problems, I have a couple of suggestions which will (hopefully) improve the team and give this team a nice matchup against the threats mentioned above. Let's now get onto it!
  • -change Swampert to Stealth Rock- This is something that instantly came in my mind as soon as I saw how bad the matchup against stall was. As Ferrothorn unfortunately can't set up hazards against stall, since Sableye can easily Bounce them on your field, and even burn you in a worse case scenario, Swampert instead can easily 2HKO the standard mixed defense Mega Sableye under rain support:
    (252 Atk Swampert-Mega Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 116 Def Sableye-Mega in Rain: 165-195 (54.4 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO). Power-Up-Punch is also a nice move when facing things like Clefable, which would otherwise stall the rain out, while recovering your Waterfalls, but as your team packs other ways of crippling it down, it's not really needed. I suggest keeping Jolly nature on Swampert, which may make it weaker, but this lets it outspeed a lot of mons including scarf Keldeo where it wouldn't otherwise.
  • -change Pelipper to Defogger- I feel like this change is really mandatory on this team. First of all, this Pelipper was running a really strange EVs spread, with a Serious Nature, which is the neutral one. Secondly, when you run a rain team, I don't think you want your main sweepers being crippled everytime they enter the field, because of hazards. Even Pelipper everytime it enters the field takes a 25% of damage from rocks, which is bad since it only allows you to come in 4 times at best, so that you just play without rain at that point. That's why I'm suggesting to change Hurricane to Defog: even if you lose a powerful STAB which always hits under rain, Defog easily helps you to keep hazards out of your field, which should help your team really much. The EVs spread I'm suggesting is 248 HP / 32 Def / 228 Sp.Def with a Bold Nature, which lets it take 2 Choice Scarf Hydro Pump Keldeo from full HP.
  • -change Raichu-Alola to Nasty Plot- Raichu Alola is surely one of the most underrated threats in Rain teams. Its great ability and its wild movepool aren't something you can easily sleep one. One thing I believe I would change though, is its movepool in this team. I don't really feel like it needs Psychic in this team archetype, that's why I'm suggesting changing Psychic to Nasty Plot. Nasty Plot not only a mon that can easily punch holes in the opposing team, but it can also take some crucials hits on opposing mons that threatens your team a lot. Another cool option might be Grass Knot, which gives you a better matchup against the stall archetype with Quagsire, recently used during WCoP! Well these are some calcs I've done in order to let you see how strong boosted Thunderbolts (or other moves) at +2 are against some of the top mons of the meta:
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Charizard-Mega-X in Electric Terrain: 290-342 (97.6 - 115.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Koko in Electric Terrain: 320-377 (113.8 - 134.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Bulu: 315-372 (112 - 132.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Lele: 298-352 (106 - 125.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Magearna in Electric Terrain: 298-352 (82 - 96.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Magearna in Electric Terrain: 448-528 (148.8 - 175.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 629-743 (175.6 - 207.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

• -change Ferrothorn to Spikes- Cool specially defensive Ferro that helps a ton with mons like Mega Alakazam that would otherwise destroy this team. Rocks are important for every team and pressuring opponing mons from repeatedly coming in and offsetting rain, which is very important. In my eyes, both Gyro Ball and Power Whip are non negotiable on this set because Gyro Ball is necessary to check Mega Zam reliably while Power Whip is needed to make sure that matchup against opposing rain teams is pretty good. I guess Knock Off is fine though, even if I'm not a great fun of it. Leftovers might also be an option on this set, but as I've previously said, you don't really want to be that Alakazam weak, as after it traces Swift Swim, it can easily punch holes in your team. I've also changed the EVs spread, which was really weird before. Now, it's the classic 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Sp.Def with a Bold Nature (because you're running Knock Off, if you run Gyro Ball make it Relaxed!), which helps a lot for taking on threats like Ash Greninja or Supersonic Skystrike Landorus, which are really problematic for the squad, if not correctly checked.
Well, that's all for this team, hope you like my suggestions, and hopefully you will manage to have a better matchup against the opposing teams of the meta. If you have any other question, feel free to hit me up on PS, and I'll be glad to answer. This is my version of your team, see ya! :toast:
(click on the sprites for the importable)
Spikes is sorta useless on this team as pelipper will usually defog hazards, you put some good suggestions but stone edge over stealth rocks on Swampert and Stealth rock over spikes on ferro.

H.M.N.I.P

https://youtu.be/pIr6TjG7Rko
is a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
As I wrote in the pastebin of the team (and the description) another valid option might be Thunder Wave support instead of Spikes, but honestly, that's up to him. Mine were just some suggestions in order to facilitate Swampert and Raichu's sweep roles. Thanks for kind words, by the way!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)