Gen 2 Toxic Spikes

My first custom team for GSC, the goal is to win the Spikes war as well as Toxic as many of the opponents mon's as possible, then use 2 phazers to force as many switches as possible to rack up the damage. It's very much inspired by adv TSS, just without the last S.

Sheldon (Cloyster) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: No Ability
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Surf
As the lead,the plan for Cloyster is to get Spikes up ASAP, as well as toxic any would be spinners on a switch, mainly Starmie. While my Cloyster USED to run explosion as well, my team was then lacking a spinner and I found I was struggling with other spike teams, so Cloyster is also the team's spinner. Surf is the last move for STAB damage, used to threaten Golem and Donphan to switch, or as simple damage the turn after I set up spikes if nobody else can be poisoned.

Thoron (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
IVs: 26 Def
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
Zapdos is used for stalling toxic with it's restTalk set, as well as scaring away Starmie, Golem, and Cloyster who would threaten a spin. Ice beam is also used to hit Flying types who would otherwise fly over the spikes. Other than Curse Monolax, Zapdos is my main way of threatening damage, and forcing a switch on resting mons.

Silverwing (Skarmory) @ Leftovers
- Toxic
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
- Whirlwind
One of the 2 mons of my Phazing core, Skarmory's goal is to force a switch and either use whirlwind to get a second hit of Spikes or Toxic a healthy mon to apply pressure on the enemy team. While this Skarmory originally ran Drill peck, I found I almost never clicked it, and that Skarm would be out of comission for 2 turns with just rest, so I opted for restTalk so that Skarm could stay healthy and still do it's job.

Snoozer (Snorlax) @ Leftovers
- Curse
- Double-Edge
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
The one problem that arises when trying to spam toxic is that a lot of pokemon tend to run Rest, and completely heal off the damage. This is where this team's Snorlax comes in, a Mono Curselax that can easily setup on a resting mon, and either sweep, or force a switch into a phazer or ghost type, which helps the gameplan of always making the opponent take spikes damage.

Rexcalibur (Tyranitar) @ Leftovers
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Roar
Tyranitar serves as the second phazer of the phazing core with roar, who can switch in to take the fire moves aimed at Skarmory. Fire blast is used to get rid of the opponents Skarmory, as well as checking the Steel Spinner Forretress more easily. Pursuit is used to trap and take out Gengar and Misdreavus, who can both spinblock my Cloyster and completely wall my Monolax.

Shadow (Gengar)
- Thief
- Explosion
- Toxic
- Dynamic Punch
When I gave Cloyster Rapid spin, I was left with a dilemma; I wanted a spinblocker so that I could keep up the spikes, as well as someone who could Explode since I took that move off Cloyster for spin. Enter Gengar, the only mon that could fit both roles as well as use Toxic himself, to help the general gameplan. Gengar also packs thief, to makes the Toxic Spikes damage stick on one of my opposing mons, and Dynamic Punch is used as a way to potentially escape TTar if I get trapped too early.

Any suggestions to improve the team? The initial idea was a stall team, but any offensive alternatives are also appreciated.
https://pokepast.es/959cb81dbbe9359e

BeeOrSomething

Daylight Savings Time sucks
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
My first custom team for GSC, the goal is to win the Spikes war as well as Toxic as many of the opponents mon's as possible, then use 2 phazers to force as many switches as possible to rack up the damage. It's very much inspired by adv TSS, just without the last S.

- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Surf
As the lead,the plan for Cloyster is to get Spikes up ASAP, as well as toxic any would be spinners on a switch, mainly Starmie. While my Cloyster USED to run explosion as well, my team was then lacking a spinner and I found I was struggling with other spike teams, so Cloyster is also the team's spinner. Surf is the last move for STAB damage, used to threaten Golem and Donphan to switch, or as simple damage the turn after I set up spikes if nobody else can be poisoned.

- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
Zapdos is used for stalling toxic with it's restTalk set, as well as scaring away Starmie, Golem, and Cloyster who would threaten a spin. Ice beam is also used to hit Flying types who would otherwise fly over the spikes. Other than Curse Monolax, Zapdos is my main way of threatening damage, and forcing a switch on resting mons.

- Toxic
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
- Whirlwind
One of the 2 mons of my Phazing core, Skarmory's goal is to force a switch and either use whirlwind to get a second hit of Spikes or Toxic a healthy mon to apply pressure on the enemy team. While this Skarmory originally ran Drill peck, I found I almost never clicked it, and that Skarm would be out of comission for 2 turns with just rest, so I opted for restTalk so that Skarm could stay healthy and still do it's job.

- Curse
- Double-Edge
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
The one problem that arises when trying to spam toxic is that a lot of pokemon tend to run Rest, and completely heal off the damage. This is where this team's Snorlax comes in, a Mono Curselax that can easily setup on a resting mon, and either sweep, or force a switch into a phazer or ghost type, which helps the gameplan of always making the opponent take spikes damage.

- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Roar
Tyranitar serves as the second phazer of the phazing core with roar, who can switch in to take the fire moves aimed at Skarmory. Fire blast is used to get rid of the opponents Skarmory, as well as checking the Steel Spinner Forretress more easily. Pursuit is used to trap and take out Gengar and Misdreavus, who can both spinblock my Cloyster and completely wall my Monolax.

Shadow (Gengar)
- Thief
- Explosion
- Toxic
- Dynamic Punch
When I gave Cloyster Rapid spin, I was left with a dilemma; I wanted a spinblocker so that I could keep up the spikes, as well as someone who could Explode since I took that move off Cloyster for spin. Enter Gengar, the only mon that could fit both roles as well as use Toxic himself, to help the general gameplan. Gengar also packs thief, to makes the Toxic Spikes damage stick on one of my opposing mons, and Dynamic Punch is used as a way to potentially escape TTar if I get trapped too early.

Any suggestions to improve the team? The initial idea was a stall team, but any offensive alternatives are also appreciated.
I find your team very zapdos weak, with all of Skarmory, Tyranitar, and (bar Explosion) Gengar walled by it. I would recommend using a Raikou over Zapdos or Gengar.

I also think that having a more defensively inclined Tyranitar set in conjunction with a very defensive Gengar set is a bit redundant for the purposes of checking Flamethrower Snorlax, so I would drop one for the aforementioned Raikou or a Rapid Spin user, namely Starmie.

I think the Gengar set is neat using Dpunch to threaten Tyranitar and Explosion to help against Snorlax/Zapdos, but I think Misdreavus will overall be a lot more consistent at escaping non-Crunch Tyranitar and preventing Rapid Spin while remaining defensively potent.

Siatam

is a Tutoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
RoA Leader
Bee has already given you some advice on how to make the team better defensively. I'll leave some words about how to take the team in an offensive direction and why that might be better suited for your game plan.

The difficulty with spikes shuffling on defensive teams is that your phazer needs to be able to threaten whatever it forces to switch in. Your Tyranitar set does a decent job of this with Eq + Fire Blast coverage, though it struggles against Zapdos. On the other hand, your Skarmory set is just about the most passive set possible. While the threat of Toxic might force some mons to switch out, any posion type, steel type or mon with Rest does not care about Skarmory at all.

This conundrum means when stall teams use Spikes as a core part of their win condition they more often rely on sheer longevity instead of forced switching to gain a long term advantage through chip damage. Making your team this defensively oriented would take a significant redesign, so I'll focus on the offensive route. However, if you're interested, this team is a good example of a heavily Spikes focused stall.

Back on your team, these are my recommendations to take it in an offensive direction.
https://pokepast.es/a8fd6b39fd33f243
:gs/cloyster: :gs/zapdos: :gs/tyranitar: :gs/snorlax: :gs/gengar: :gs/alakazam:

Here's a quick summary of my edits:
:cloyster: Explosion > Rapid Spin. Rapid Spin Cloyster has a place on defensive teams, but Explosion is always the move you want on offense.

:zapdos: Whirlwind + Protect > Rest + Sleep Talk. Zapdos is an great Spikes shuffler because of its excellent electric + ice coverage. Protect helps Zapdos improve it longevity with passive Leftovers recover. HP Water is also an option if you really want to target Golem and Steelix.

:tyranitar: Rock Slide > Fire Blast. Fire moves are good to hit steel types, but Tyranitar really like Rock Slide for better coverage when combined with Earthquake + a physical STAB option. As a spikes shuffler, Tyranitar's low speed means many targets it Roars in can opt to trade damage and wear Ttar down. On this team Zapdos is the primary Spikes abuser.

:gengar: Thunderbolt + Ice Punch > Toxic + Thief. The problem with Toxic/Thief/Dynamic Punch Gengar is that while it blocks Rapid Spin, it doesn't do anything to prevent Rapid Spinners from staying in and winning 1v1. Thunderbolt + Ice Punch give Gengar great coverage and let it actually threaten spinners like Starmie and Golem.

:alakazam: Skarmory has a difficult time fitting on GSC offense since it is such a passive wall. I opted to replace it with Toxic Alakazam to stay within the spirit of your team while adding a fast offensive threat. Zam also helps the team shore up its matchup against Machamp and Gengar which are otherwise difficult for the team to switch into. Fire Punch is an option over Encore if you prefer the coverage over utility.

Hope you enjoy the team and good luck with your GSC endeavors!

- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Surf

- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

- Toxic
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
- Whirlwind

- Curse
- Double-Edge
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Roar

Shadow (Gengar)
- Thief
- Explosion
- Toxic
- Dynamic Punch

Cool idea, but idk if the toxic spams necessary even if ig its the point of the team

I find your team very zapdos weak, with all of Skarmory, Tyranitar, and (bar Explosion) Gengar walled by it. I would recommend using a Raikou over Zapdos or Gengar.

I also think that having a more defensively inclined Tyranitar set in conjunction with a very defensive Gengar set is a bit redundant for the purposes of checking Flamethrower Snorlax, so I would drop one for the aforementioned Raikou or a Rapid Spin user, namely Starmie.

I think the Gengar set is neat using Dpunch to threaten Tyranitar and Explosion to help against Snorlax/Zapdos, but I think Misdreavus will overall be a lot more consistent at escaping non-Crunch Tyranitar and preventing Rapid Spin while remaining defensively potent.
Good take, Bee. I do find that a Thief Gengar packing a Dynamic punch amusing in that it can slam an unsuspecting Pursuit ttar right in the face but the unfortunate thing about this pokemon is that our friend here is only threatening Zapdos with boom and that only makes their situation even worse against opposing elecs.

If you want inspiration for a team that uses toxic whirlwind Zapdos feel free to hit me up. Bladedasher

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)