Things in Pokémon which really hit you by surprise

Yeah, makes the E4 extremely easy...though still probably not a good idea to send it in against Glacia. Really doesn't like Ice much at all.

Another thing that hit me by surprise was just how limited Delphox's move pool really is. Why, GF? Why? T_T (hey the title doesn't say it has to be a positive surprise)

Yeah, makes the E4 extremely easy...though still probably not a good idea to send it in against Glacia. Really doesn't like Ice much at all.

Another thing that hit me by surprise was just how limited Delphox's move pool really is. Why, GF? Why? T_T (hey the title doesn't say it has to be a positive surprise)
Because as we all know, out of the classic warrior/rogue/mage trio in video games, the magical one is always the most limited and most boring to play. Game Freak, please.

Personally, playing Sapphire after only playing a bit of Blue and Gold before hand, and then realizing each Pokemon had their own little icon instead of all looking like Pikachu or Ratticate or whatever in the Pokemon menu was a real shock. I was like "Holy crap, best gen ever!"

Also Samurott

It's not even that. Look at Alakazam. Slowking. Gardevoir. Hell, look at Meowstic. They've got some pretty nice assortment of moves available. Delphox? Not really much of anything.

Which reminds me... Slowbro/king can learn Flamethrower?! *mind blown*

It's not even that. Look at Alakazam. Slowking. Gardevoir. Hell, look at Meowstic. They've got some pretty nice assortment of moves available. Delphox? Not really much of anything.

It's power to do that comes from the power of WTF.

Really, jokes asides mine comes from pokemon mystery dungeon.
I loved abusing swampert to hell with it's amazing 1 4x weakness, and grinding through the dungeon where you encounter groudon, and one day I killed a arbok (oh so easily due to thorn spam) and then it asked if it would like to join my party, I said no because I didn't have space for such a weak pokemon. Then later that day/week/month I realized HOLY WTF the game guide says that it cannot be befriended. And then, later on I realized that the game probably does not actually have a pure 0% chance of befriending the pokemon more like 0.000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance if befriending pokemon, thus making the chance for it to happen stupidly, and impossibly low, but still possible, thus making me probably one in like 5-10 people on the planet that this has happened to.

As for story wise, PMD explorers of time..everything, (asides from the "grand master of all things terrible in combat bad" being wigglytuff. I was like 7/8 when I played it and I was not stupid enough to fall for that.) enough said.

Delphox's coverage wouldn't suck that much if it wasn't for the lack of Fighting moves.

The speed stat is actually reaction speed, not movement speed. That is why some pokemon who can't move fast have a high speed stat, and ones that can move fast have a low speed stat. Also, the fastest speed at which a pokemon can move doesn't have much relevance in a battle as, chances are, you won't have time to hit max speed.
Ah, that makes sense. It still gets me every time though because most "fat" mons such as Snorlax, Lickilicky, and Camerupt have really low speed.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Wailord's huge size and embarrassing defenses. Something like Raticate shouldn't have better defenses than the largest pokemon of all.
In this situation, it makes more sense when you look at its ability to defend itself. A large Pokemon like Wailord can't really defend itself from attacks on the account of being so large, while Raticate can move around a lot easier, and avoid attacks, as well as being a smaller target in general. This also is somewhat confirmed when looking at their HP stats (Wailord has a lot of HP, while Raticate doesn't, which basically means that while Wailord can't avoid hits, it can take a lot of them, while Raticate can avoid hits, but it can't take many).

Actually, something that really hit me by surprise was that one house in Cerulean city whose residents don't talk about Pokemon at all, they are just having a nice minibreak by the looks of it. It just seemed so out of place in a world which otherwise revolved solely around those creatures.

In this situation, it makes more sense when you look at its ability to defend itself. A large Pokemon like Wailord can't really defend itself from attacks on the account of being so large, while Raticate can move around a lot easier, and avoid attacks, as well as being a smaller target in general. This also is somewhat confirmed when looking at their HP stats (Wailord has a lot of HP, while Raticate doesn't, which basically means that while Wailord can't avoid hits, it can take a lot of them, while Raticate can avoid hits, but it can't take many).
This all makes sense but than how can you explain Mega Aggron's defense. That thing would move around really slowly by the looks of it since it's basically covered in metal and rock so it can't really avoid attacks. Mega Aggron is also pretty big so not that difficult to miss. However Mega Aggron his HP stat is not that high so by that logic he wouldn't be defensive at all.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This all makes sense but than how can you explain Mega Aggron's defense. That thing would move around really slowly by the looks of it since it's basically covered in metal and rock so it can't really avoid attacks. Mega Aggron is also pretty big so not that difficult to miss. However Mega Aggron his HP stat is not that high so by that logic he wouldn't be defensive at all.
I said in that particular situation. Unfortunately, it's not a catch all type thing, and there are plenty of exceptions.

I said in that particular situation. Unfortunately, it's not a catch all type thing, and there are plenty of exceptions.
Wait you said that it was only in that situation. Dammit I need to read more lol.

The weirdest thing in Pokemon that really surprised me was TM Teleport in generation 1. I mean you expect someone like Alakazam to learn it but Magmar, Arcanine, Cloyster, Chansey, Butterfree, Venomoth, Wigglytuf and Clefable also learn it.

Wait you said that it was only in that situation. Dammit I need to read more lol.

The weirdest thing in Pokemon that really surprised me was TM Teleport in generation 1. I mean you expect someone like Alakazam to learn it but Magmar, Arcanine, Cloyster, Chansey, Butterfree, Venomoth, Wigglytuf and Clefable also learn it.
I can see Clefable, Chansey, Butterfree and Wigglytuff able to use it as they're able to use weird special psychic shit already.
Arcanine's just fucking weird.

I can see Clefable, Chansey, Butterfree and Wigglytuff able to use it as they're able to use weird special psychic shit already.
Arcanine's just fucking weird.
Arcanine is one of the Pokémon that can run faster, so fast that it almost looks like it teleports you. That's also the flavor behind ExtremeSpeed, once the signature move of Arcanine.

Cloyster is the weirdest of the bunch.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Arcanine is one of the Pokémon that can run faster, so fast that it almost looks like it teleports you. That's also the flavor behind ExtremeSpeed, once the signature move of Arcanine.

Cloyster is the weirdest of the bunch.
I knew about Cloyster though, and maybe he dives underwater...

But looking through the list, I find Magmar the weirdest. Maybe he creates a smokescreen? I really don't know lol.

Really? I think Delphox has a decent movepool with access to Flamethrower, Psyshock, Grass Knot, Shadow Ball, and Will-o-Wisp. Not a large one, but a decent one. All it really needs is Focus Blast.

Ah, that makes sense. It still gets me every time though because most "fat" mons such as Snorlax, Lickilicky, and Camerupt have really low speed.
Whenever Grumpig turns up in randoms, it always takes me by surprise. Come on, it's a fat pig and it's outrunning/outreflexing birds in the air.

Also speaking of speed, Electrode. It's a ball. That moves blisteringly fast. I always rationalized it as turning into pure electricity and zapping itself across, teleportation style, but it's still weird.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)