Gen 6 Thicc

Hello again Smogon. My name is Charmflash and I'm happy to present you Thicc. This ORAS OU team was made by my good buddy and ORAS prodigy gz and myself. It got created during WCOP 2018 Qualifiers for the match between gz and Analytic where gz managed to pull off a convincing 6-0 victory. I picked this team up for the majority of both my Smogon tour week 2 runs & it performed marvelously, allowing me to get to round 5 once and win the tournament the other time. As I dont really plan to bring this team to any tournament game again, I figured that I'd share the exact build and the thought process that went behind rolling with it.

The team at a glance

So the basic idea is that everybody is running Bulky Offense in ORAS. You know, those Mega-Metagross, Keldeo, Landorus-Therian teams. We were thinking about how to counter that and had two decent ideas. 1 - Thunder Wave. Paralysis is absolutely broken in ORAS. The fact that the speed of Keldeo and Mega-Metagross gets dropped below the likes of Slowbro is absurd. In addition to that Thunder Wave is unable to miss and also generates a lot of value with the 25% chance to completely negate an attack, especially if the game drags on for long. 2 - Infamous defensively strong but 'do-nothing' Pokemon. The aforementioned Pokemon (and many other popular ones) do not have any type of reliable recovery. Therefore as long as you can withstand their pressure better than they can not get chipped down, you have the advantage. Obviously we didnt use that logic for all of our Pokemon as that would make use lose to bulkier, still relevant squads but that logic got used when building this team.

The team in-depth

Tyranitar @

Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Anybody who knows me as a players is aware of the fact that I absolutely adore speed control and a Choice Scarf user is usually a big part of that. Perhaps my refusal to adapt to an almost scarfless SM meta is part of my struggles during snake draft tour, but that is a story for another time. On this bulky team a slower Scarf user like Tyranitar is sufficient. Tyranitar is able to pivot into powerful breaker such as Charizard-Y and Mega-Pinsir and K.O. them with Stone Edge or heavily dent them with Pursuit. Pursuit also allows Tyranitar to support SD Gliscor by trapping Lati@s / pressuring Mew. Crunch allows Tyranitar to pressure Psychic-types in combination with Pursuit and have an accurate STAB-attack. Superpower hits opposing Tyranitar and Steel-types such as Heatran and Ferrothorn in one moveslot. The ev's given allow you to be as fast as possible while hitting as strong as possible. A Jolly nature is used for the extra speed to outspeed Pokemon like Latios, Thundurus and Starmie.

Gliscor @

Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Def / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Facade
- Roost
- Swords Dance

SD Gliscor is a monster in ORAS given enough time and benefits a lot from having teammates that are good against offense. It also appreciates Thunder Wave support as it can outspeed paralyzed Pokemon such as Keldeo with ease and clean up during the lategame. If this team would have to pick a Pokemon to call its win condition Gliscor would easily earn that title as the entire team is built around buying time and crippling / trapping its checks. However, Gliscor's merits do not end there. Due to its good defensive typing, mixed bulk and ability it is able to absord status and plenty of attacks for its team. For example it is able to switch into Heatran without worrying about a thing once it has successfully activated its Toxic Orb. Earthquake is the STAB-attack of choice and irreplaceable. Facade is the most consistent throughput of damage provided by any single coverage move and got picked because of that. Roost and SD are both necessary for this type of slow, bulky setup Pokemon to function. The given HP ev's ensure the best Poison Heal recovery possible. 8 Physdef allows you to survive Bisharp's LO boosted +2 Sucker Punch. 200 SpD and a Careful nature makes you as specially bulky as possible in order to take on things like Heatran and Gengar. 56 Spe ev's enables you to outpace Adamant base 70 Pokemon such as Bisharp or Breloom.

Slowbro @

Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind

Slowbro fills an important role for any ORAS team: Keldeo switch-in. Due to its high physdef it is rather troublesome to successfully Pursuit so it acts as a pretty consistent Keldeo answer. It also helps deal with a plethora of physical attacker such as Mega-Medicham and Excadrill. Initially Thunder Wave was the preferred choice over Calm Mind, but we decided that completely relying on Gliscor as proactive option is not very desirable either and switched it up. Thunder Wave may still be a superior option, however. Scald is the STAB of choice and as it has a nice chance to inflict burn. Psyshock hits Poison- and Fighting-types and is especially effective with Calm Mind as it beats opposing Calm Mind user. Slack Off is reliable recovery on a defensive Pokemon. Calm Mind is used as a secondary win condition. Near max-hp gives Slowbro the best bulk possible. 84 SpD allows Slowbro to take on special attacker such as Keldeo and Latios better. The remaining ev's and a Bold nature make Slowbro as physically defensive as possible.

Scizor-Mega @

Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 92 SpA / 108 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost
- Defog

Bullet Punch is is pretty much synonymous with Mega-Scizor, being a high-pp technician-boosted priority move it rarely, if ever, sees any absence from a Mega-Scizor moveset. Hidden Power Fire is the reason a build like this without a Fire-type or Water-type that is good against Mega-Scizor can work. Hidden Power Fire Mega-Scizor gives you a fantastic SD/Curse Mega-Scizor counter out of nowhere. It is also able to pressure Ferrothorn and physically defensive Skarmory, allowing it to Defog Spikes and can deal with Mega-Metagross faster, preventing it from getting too many Atk-boosts with Meteor Mash as well as hit Bisharp for great damage. Additionally, Hidden Power Fire has a good chance to 2hko Magnezone (on the switch) with Stealth Rock and Bullet Punch, allowing Mega-Scizor to later Roost on a slower Pokemon such as Clefable or any paralyzed one. Roost is reliable recovery on a defensive Pokemon and Defog is needed on any passive team without Spikes (or Rapid Spin). The given SpA ev's ensure nice rolls onto Magnezone, Ferrothorn and Bisharp while the rest of the ev's maximize its mixed bulk as best as possible. A relaxed nature boosts your physdef while keeping Hidden Power Fire's power at the expense of the relatively irrelevant speed drop.

Tangrowth @

EVs: 104 HP / 152 SpA / 252 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Giga Drain
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tangrowth is the Ground-resist of the team. It forms a double Regenerator core with Slowbro allowing it to outlast the stalliest of teams by simply switching around eachother as well as Clefable/Gliscor. The Grass-type also checks Keldeo as well as other Water-types such as Rotom-Wash and Suicune (hence the SpA investment). Giga Drain gives Tangrowth a consistent STAB-attack that allows it to regen even more HP. Leaf Storm is a powerful nuke and can be quite the challenge to switch into for certain teams. It also allows you to surprise kill setup sweeper or Roost user. Knock Off is the most useful utility move Tangrowth has access to and removes a plethora of problematic items such as the resource-generating Leftovers from Pokemon like Clefable or Heatran. Hidden Power Ice is a way of hitting Ground-types not weak to grass such as Garchomp, Gliscor and Landorus-Therian as well as Dragon-types like Latios for decent damage due to its SpA investment. The given ev's make Tangrowth as specially bulky as possible while keeping offensive presence and pressuring Suicune. A quiet nature is chosen for the same purpose.

Clefable @

Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Clefable is the only paralysis spreading Pokemon on this team, however, it is exceptionally effective at its job. The addition of Flamethrower on this utility set is inspired by BKC. Thunder Wave neutralizes the targets Moonblast would hit that Flamethrower does not, like Medicham. Flamethrower is able to hit Steel-types like Excadrill, Ferrothorn and Mega-Scizor and is a decent mono-attacking move, similar to Ice Beam Mew. Stealth Rock is necessary on any competitive team and Clefable is a great setter of it. Soft Boiled is reliable recovery on a defensive Pokemon. Thunder Wave allows Clefable to support its entire team, including itself. The given ev's and Bold nature make Clefable as physically bulky as possible in order to have a chance to take on Mega-Heracross, a huge problem to this team and archetype in general.
Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Def / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Facade
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Slowbro @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 92 SpA / 108 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 104 HP / 152 SpA / 252 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Giga Drain
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

And that concludes the RMT :blobthumbsup:. Thank you for checking it out :)

Last edited:

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
This RMT (the song, the mons and the a e s t h e t i c c) is the most Charmflash thing I have ever seen.

Having Tyranitar as the Charizard-Y answer doesn't sit too well with me as Focus Blast is dropping dat boi. I get where you're coming from though, as you can outspeed it and what not, but it comes down to prediction/having to give up a mon to have a chance to get rid of it. Then again, it's Charizard-Y and counters to it + TTar are very limited. :pikuh:

The Mega Scizor set is something I love and the Clef set is something I've been using myself.

I really like this and god job for doing well in the ORAS week :blobthumbsup:

Hey, really cool rmt you got there, I enjoy the creative spreads and your sprites had me laughing for good. :]
Since (as Diophantine) mentioned Mega Charizard Y + Tyranitar seems to be a problem I could see Protect Slowking doing a good job, as it helps vs stuff like Volcanion as well (especially the sub toxic set).
Slowking (F) @ Leftovers Ability: Regenerator EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 60 SpD / 12 Spe Calm Nature IVs: 0 Atk - Protect - Scald - Psychic - Slack Off
This is the spread i run with a bit speed for amoonguss and with psychic above psyshock, since you 2hit KO amoonguss on the switch (provided rocks are up) as well as break fat volcanions sub. It's more like a pivot for zard y to force your opponent to make a play, but I can see it do work. If that set is too passive you can just trade the psychic stab with toxic or twave for a free slot on clef for example.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)