The Team-Building Process

But you're forgetting one thing. Stall is nonexistent on WiFi. Also, Tyranitar is almost never used on WiFi.

I've found that WiFi teams don't work on Shoddy and vice versa. WiFi is mostly offensive, and testing it on Shoddy means going up against stall teams that will shut you down and end you at Step 5. With the recent banishment of Latias, I'm sure WiFi has gone insane.
I dissagree and at the same time agree with this post
Disagree on the part that says that stall is non existant on wifi, stall does exist and is more common than you think, the thing is that it's just not practical, whenever you face a breloom or any sort of subseeder you should expect a stall forward team. I've had lots of wifi matches that last over one hour, unlike shoddy the connection is not so good and some people just disconnect but stall exists in wifi and is an issue to take into consideration.
I do agree on the par that wifi teams don't work on shoddy and vice versa, most new users come here to smogon expecting to rip off some teams and use them on wifi, the thing is that those teams cover some threats that are none existant in wifi, ie (Rotom forms) and by doing that you might be having something usless on your team like a rotom H counter or so. Same thing applies for wifi, until wifi and shoddy are more equally balanced teams won't be compatible. And it's true that with the banishment of latias wifi has gone insane,. I had a very awesome team that had a heavy blow ever since latias was banned....haven't battled since then :(

The metagames on Wifi and shoddy are mostly the same, you just dont see Heavy Stall on wifi for obvious reasons. And the majority of Wifers use Pokesav/AR, so the Rotom forms are very common.

Think of a 2 poke attack, find a 3rd poke that opens up the combo, build a devensive backbone, lead. That works most of the time. I learned that trying too hard leads to a shitty team.

Building a team... Hm,

Find a central attacker/ set up sweeper.
Build a team around THAT with good synergy, and vital roles.
For example:

SD Scizor needs to have other steels taken out - Trapper Magnezone
It needs good synergy - Heatran
And then you go from there

That's how I build mine, maybe not so different than other people.

My problem has always been how to find good synergy with the core pokemon I choose. I am slowly starting to come around as I lurk on here, but I need some serious help when it comes to building a decent team. I'll try using some of the suggestions here for starters.

I based my most recent team around one pokemon and a strategy I developed to shut down suicide leads, even though they have decreased in popularity. Then I just filled in the cracks. When Salamence got banned, it hurt my team, though. I was using a Scarfed version and it was so good at revenging stuff, it was uncanny.

I always base my team around an unorthodox set/pokemon.
Then when "standard" sets/pokemon have to be used I modify them slightly (think SubSalac Mamoswine/Flygon) or use rare sets for common pokemon.

Standard is boring!

Would I be right in thinking this is better for when you're looking to build your average team, and not anything ground-breaking? Because I always fail at making teams, but this looks to compliment my beginner-ness well. :P

Would I be right in thinking this is better for when you're looking to build your average team, and not anything ground-breaking? Because I always fail at making teams, but this looks to compliment my beginner-ness well. :P
If you look around at the RMT's, you'll see people use all kinds of strategies when making a team, and it just depends on your personal preference. For example, if someone wants a Aboma-Hail Team, they may want to start by filling up Abomasnow's weaknesses, putting a stall pokemon in there, etc. I've also seen people make a list of moves they want on the team before they even start thinking of pokemon they may want. This guide could easily work for an amazing ground breaking team, just as much as it could work for a failure team since it all depends on how you put the team together. But to answer your question, this is just a simplified way of how to make a team. But remember, it's not the only way ; )

I don't know how effective this system would be for wi-fi because of the aforementioned differences between shoddy and wi-fi, but as a system for producing an effective shoddy team it seems quite ideal to me. I myself used a similar process when making my first shoddy team (I just started yesterday though XD so my team isn't quite perfect).

And people, there's no need to pick apart the whole "3/5" thing. The number of battles is obviously the most easily changed thing in that entire method, and nothing is stopping you from doing 10, 20 or hell even 50 battles if for some reason you feel like it. In my opinion, basically do as many battles as you need to in order to find out your teams flaws, then go edit and retest. Really, there's no need to argue such an arbitrary point.

Something that's useful to keep in mind is that it's okay to have weaknesses. There's no way you can make a team that is safe against absolutely every threat. Whenever your team is dominated by a single Pokemon, it's fine so long as your team does favorably in every other situation. That's not to say you shouldn't try to patch up your team's weaknesses, but to make sure that in "fixing" one problem you aren't developing more weaknesses or simply reducing your team's overall strength. Of course, there's no excuse for being unable to deal with top threats such as Gyarados, because that means you're going to be losing an unacceptable number of match-ups.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)