SV OU Sun Team, looking to get to the next level (peaked at 1490)

Hello everyone, I have this Sun Team that I enjoy using this Sun Team. It has undergone numerous iterations, especially with Roaring Moon banned to Uber. This is the current iteration, with details on each. It got me up to 1490 ELO before falling quite heavily (losing streaks and saltiness on my part).

Torkoal (M) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Lava Plume
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp

Torkoal is my lead, with its setting sun and Stealth Rock. I wish they would give a better Fire Pokemon Drought, but alas Torkoal is the best option for OU. Torkoal is bulky, which helps against Gliscor and Great Tusk. It also allows me to hit those Pokemon back with Will-o-Wisp (especially on Gliscor if it is opposing lead and opponent does not protect or Wisp does not miss).Torkoal plays back-up hazard detterent to Hatterene and Tusk. Lava Plume for offense and some burn capability. Torkoal also really really against Kingambit and Ogerpon, taking its hits like a champ and getting a burn on them to cripple them.

Great Tusk @ Leftovers
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Headlong Rush
- Ice Fang
- Rapid Spin

With Gliscor in the meta (hopefully not much longer), Great Tusk is my primary check for it. With Bulk Up and Ice Spinner, it also handles Enamorus, Dragapult and Dragonite decently (if has the Proto Speed boost). First line of defense against hazards, if gets a rapid spin + sun, outspeeds almsot everything in the game. Can absolutely wreck if has a couple Bulk Ups to go with it.

Walking Wake @ Choice Specs
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 12 HP / 244 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Steam
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Flip Turn

Standard set, nothing fancy. Added Flip Turn to give it some much needed pivoting against checks such as Galarian-Slowking and Toxapex. Choice Specs for raw offensive power, coupled with sun, which annihilates most Pokemon with a single Hydro Steam. Flamethrower and Draco for coverage. My primary Tera target. Struggles with Iron Valiant (Booster Energy Speed/Scarf) and Enamorus-I Scarf.

Hatterene @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 SpD
Bold Nature
- Healing Wish
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Nuzzle

Bulky hazard denial. A Fairy to check the dragons of the meta that may target Walking Wake. Gav it nuzzle to slow down some speedyPokemon. Tera Steel so it can stay in against Kingambit, Dragapult or Gholdengo if needed. Healing Wish is useful to give another teammate a new lease on life, Walking Wake primarily, sometimes Bonnet or Tusk if the matchup calls for it.

Iron Moth @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
EVs: 124 Def / 132 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Fiery Dance
- Sludge Wave
- Psychic

Was one of the most annoying Pokemon I encountered on ladder. If you can't beat it, put it on your team! A solid special sweeper to work with WW, is only outsped by Valiant and Unburden Sneasler, which Moth has a decent matchup against either of them. Can set-up SP ATK boosts with FD, and destory other Moths with Psychic and Fairies with Sludge Wave (too bad no sludge bomb). Substitute is useful to take advantage of opponent's mistakes.

Brute Bonnet @ Assault Vest
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD/ 252 Spe
Careful Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Seed
- Sucker Punch
- Tera Blast

Lastly, Brute Bonnet. I know this may be an eye-raiser, but it has been quite effective as a SP D wall and counter to Gambit, Ghold and Pult. Also threatens faster Pokemon with Sucker Punch + Proto Atk boost. Can even shut down walls like Slowking-G. Assault Vest ensures it can take a Sp Atk well enough and throw a hit back.

That concludes my team breakdown. I want to make it to 1500 with this team. While the next DLC will bring some new Pokemon that can fit on this style of team (i.e. Venusaur, my favorite starter), I would like to get soem feedback to improve it now.

Thank you all in advance.

Last edited:

1LDK

Trial by fury
is a Top Team Rater
Hey, gonna rate your team

big changes

:brute bonnet: ----->:rillaboom:

I decided to go with rilla here for the utility it can provide, it's the strongest grass type right now, so bulky waters and spedef walls that want to wall wake will find themselves scared of getting near you, grassy terrain will also give you some passive recovery for the entire team and will alleviate the ground damage of earthquake, which can be useful since your running 2 weak to ground mons (one of them being quad weak in moth). Not to mention the utility in priority, U-turn and knock off is always great

Rillaboom @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Knock Off
- Grassy Glide
- U-turn

small changes

On torkoal, his defense is already high, so boosting his spedef for mayor survivability is key here, and so is tera water for defensive utility, yawn will be useful to emergency block someone or force switches. And flamethrower is helpful for killing dragapult's sub, which is common

Torkoal (M) @ Heat Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Flamethrower
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Yawn

You said in the description that walking wake has flip turn but in the move set has knock off, you wanna fix that

On hatterene, this updated spread + eject button will secure your momentum + pressuring slower mons

Hatterene @ Eject Button
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 80 SpD / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Healing Wish
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Nuzzle

On tusk go with ice spinner, I know ice spinner cancels terrain but damage is damage, and go with tera poison to take on gliscor, valiant and rilla better

On Iron moth, as a soft suggestion consider tera ghost over grass to shit on moves like zamazenta´s stabs, valiant's close combat or dnite's espeed

and that's it, I hope you like this team and have fun with it

Hey, gonna rate your team

big changes

:brute bonnet: ----->:rillaboom:

I decided to go with rilla here for the utility it can provide, it's the strongest grass type right now, so bulky waters and spedef walls that want to wall wake will find themselves scared of getting near you, grassy terrain will also give you some passive recovery for the entire team and will alleviate the ground damage of earthquake, which can be useful since your running 2 weak to ground mons (one of them being quad weak in moth). Not to mention the utility in priority, U-turn and knock off is always great

Rillaboom @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Knock Off
- Grassy Glide
- U-turn

small changes

On torkoal, his defense is already high, so boosting his spedef for mayor survivability is key here, and so is tera water for defensive utility, yawn will be useful to emergency block someone or force switches. And flamethrower is helpful for killing dragapult's sub, which is common

Torkoal (M) @ Heat Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Flamethrower
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Yawn

You said in the description that walking wake has flip turn but in the move set has knock off, you wanna fix that

On hatterene, this updated spread + eject button will secure your momentum + pressuring slower mons

Hatterene @ Eject Button
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 80 SpD / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Healing Wish
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Nuzzle

On tusk go with ice spinner, I know ice spinner cancels terrain but damage is damage, and go with tera poison to take on gliscor, valiant and rilla better

On Iron moth, as a soft suggestion consider tera ghost over grass to shit on moves like zamazenta´s stabs, valiant's close combat or dnite's espeed

and that's it, I hope you like this team and have fun with it
Hey there, thank you for the suggestions. I have made all the changes and playtested it. It is working quite well. The torkoal changes have been a nice change as I feel it is less passive than it was before. Rillaboom has been a great addition to help provide passive healing and helps get major damage + utility. Tera Ghost on Moth has been decent.

Eject Button on hatterene has been all right, but I struggle to know the timing of when to send it out to get that free switch.

Overall, good changes. The only thing I am thinking of changing is Rillaboom's item from Choice Band to Life Orb. I feel with Rillaboom's kit, having the ability to switch moves and still have the attack boost may be the best route. Grassy Terrain would offset some of the damage from Orb. What do you think of this?

Bump...

And an update.

I tested this team out for the last while and had some good results.

https://pokepast.es/71947320c430d47f

I still believe this team struggled mightily with stall, so it inspired me to cook up an new iteration of the team.

https://pokepast.es/2415e11ee9c2cfde

What are the changes? I swapped out Rillaboom and Iron Moth for Munkidori and Ceruledge.

Why? Munkidori gives me the ability to weaken a defensive pokemons ability to do its job, which makes it easier to play around. By using Trick, I can force said pokemon to switch as it would be locked into only one move. Even helps against set up, but requires pristine prediction. With Future Sight, I get big potential damage. U-turn to pivot out if needed.
Ceruledge has been a lot of fun to use. It helps with sweeping from an physical standpoint more than Rillaboom did. With Sash and SD + Weak Armor boosts, Ceruledge can wreck even the bulkiest pokemon. Gave it Tera Grass to power up leaf blade to obscene power.

I like both teams. It is fun to have both to tinker with. As always, open to feedback on movesets or even pokemon changes.

Thanks again!

Rillaboom is weak without choice band. Drum beating is even weaker. You want choice band, and you want wood hammer. You'll become a better player if you learn how to properly use these, as well.
I recommend Rillaboom with Swords Dance, Grassy Slide, Knock Off, Wood Hammer @ Miracle Seed. Tera Grass. Huge damage output, longevity, and sweeping potential.
Well, I decided to go back to Choice Band Boom with significant results. I finally made it to the 1500 elo threshold, at 1515 exactly. While I miss having the flexibility, being more patient and hitting with choice band moves has appeared to be the difference.

Proof of my achievement

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)