Spriting Contest - Contest #8: Spriter of the Month: Ice-cold Claws - NEXT CONTEST COMING SOON

Voting Period

All the participants have finished their works, it's time to nominate the best sprites ! During 3 days, everybody on smogon could be able to vote, here are the rules to follow:
  • You will have to vote for 2 sprites, if you vote two times for the same participant, he will earn 2 points.
  • The participants can also vote
  • Give a brief explanation of why you have chosen these 2 sprites
  • Once you have voted, you can't edit it, so make sure to choose the right sprites.
End of the votes: 20/10/2015

Here is the Halloween sprites:

Jellal Fernnandes:
Sprite #1:

Sprite #2:

Cynthia612
Sprite #1:

Sprite #2:

Sunfished

Sprite #1:

Sprite #2:

Awu
Sprite #1:

Sprite #2:

Yagura

Sprite #1:

Sprite #2:

Nightmare Serum

Sprite #1 :

Sprite #2 :

SiTuM'parleT'mort
Sprite#1:

Sprite #2:

Twerkerella
Sprite #1:

Sprite #2:

sirDonovan
Sprite #1:

Sprite #2:

Disqualified participants: Wally The Bully , Valiancy & pastelgameboy - Reason: Timeout
can i vote for a single sprite of a person and another sprite of another person?

I vote for Sunfished's sprite #2 and Twerkerella's sprite #2. For the first sprite, i think that it represents halloween very well. They utilized the pumkaboo sprite in a way that makes the sprite more attractive. Very good sprite. On the other hand, the second sprite looks superb. I really like chandelure and the way its used on the sprite is pretty cool. Also a very good sprite. Hope to see more sprites from them soon ^.^

bobochan

slow mo my bobo
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Vote #1 Sunfished

As soon as this one was posted I knew this was going to be a fav of mine.
The pumpkin dress is extremely eye catching while also standing out thanks to the darker color of the dress.

Vote #2 Twerkerella

I must have a fancy thing for dresses because this one caught my eyes also.
The use of Chandelure as the dress was really awesome and the trainer blends in perfectly with the matching Litwick.

Wow giving reasons for graphics is so much harder than Pokemon =o=
I hope this is enough reasons (if not please let me know).

Jellal Fernnandes Wow we have the same preferences, hi5!

Vote #1 Sunfished

As soon as this one was posted I knew this was going to be a fav of mine.
The pumpkin dress is extremely eye catching while also standing out thanks to the darker color of the dress.

Vote #2 Twerkerella

I must have a fancy thing for dresses because this one caught my eyes also.
The use of Chandelure as the dress was really awesome and the trainer blends in perfectly with the matching Litwick.

Wow giving reasons for graphics is so much harder than Pokemon =o=
I hope this is enough reasons (if not please let me know).

Jellal Fernnandes Wow we have the same preferences, hi5!
you my fren know how what art is
edit: ayy SiTum'parleT'mort also voted for what we voted :D

Last edited:

SiTuM

destined for greatness
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Vote 1 : 2nd sprite of Sunfished
THIS IS WAY TOO SWAG

Vote 2 : 2nd sprite of Twerkerella
The flames and the trainer are beautiful *-*

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Vote 1: SiTuM'parleT'mort Sprite #1
Really love the shading on the sprite! It almost gives it a really pleasing 3-D effect that I really liked!

Vote 2: Sunfished Sprite #2
This sprite was reaaally cute :3!

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Vote 1: sirDonovan #1

I really love this one for the color composition used, and the appliance of the whispy looks on the clothing of Erika. The scratch edits are very well done, with the use of correct outlining making it look almost as if it was an authentic sprite. The hat was also a nice touch, rounding off the plain look she had without it, while not making it too expressively large, compared to the one Mismagius has. Overall, I thought it was a very well done sprite, (and I'm a sucker for purple!)

Vote 2: Twerkerella #2

This one was very adorable, especially the color choices used. The Chandelure face on the dress was also a very nice touch, keeping in theme of Litwick being there. Despite it having aliased pixels, which don't really count as a sprite, it does have an implementation that adds more points to it than subtracts.

Everyone did a great job! Remember, if you ever need some help, Pokemon Showdown's Art Room is always there if you need a little bit of guidance!

I vote for Sprite#2 of Sunfished
Fell in love with it the moment I saw it.

I vote for Sprite#1 of Dono.

Both these sprites look 100% authentic. May the best win.

Reisen

Translations Project Creator
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Vote 1: Sunfished #2

Nothing much to say, as cute as the user. Stunning work I can recognize the 5 gen nurse sprite which has been modified really well. I love the colors that you used I love the idea and also the pumpkaboos. The shading is really great, I would maybe see more shading on the pumpkin dress, especially on her left but this is a little detail. The fact that you added the pumpkaboo instead of the wallet place is just great it fits really well. This is definitely my favorite sprite for this contest really nice job Sun.

Vote 2: Nightmare Serum #2

I am so surprised by this sprite. The idea is definitely great and I just love how you made the shoes, I would probably change the eyes in something else but to be honest this sprite is amazing, I really like how you realized the mantle and even the colors are matching really well. The shading is pretty awesome that's a great job.

Honorable mentions

Jellal Fernnandes #2

The idea is awesome for this contest, the lines have been very well designed I would probably have take another sprite, with a different posture but I just love the idea plus the shading and the colors are great, nice job Jellal !

sirDonovan #2

You would probably think that I'm weird but I prefer this sprite than the Erika-Mismagius one (even if the other sprite is also really great). The colors are matching really well, the hat design is awesome, the bag color is also great. This is basically a recolorization but I have to say that I enjoy it a lot.

Yagura #1

I wasn't thinking of that at the beginning of this contest but I really like the concept and the pokemon that you have chosen. The colorization of the trainer is also nice.

(to be honest I like all the participants works this is really hard)

Vote #1: Sunfished #1

I love this one, great coloring and the skull is well made, I also like the choice of the mon/trainer since both of them face the same way.

Vote #2: Twerkerella #2

This one is so adorable, the fact that Gothita has a humanoid form makes it perfect!

Vote 1: sirDonovan
Sprite #1:

Really clever mashup up of pokemon with trainer costume, design is well executed. 10/10 would cosplay.

Vote 2: Sunfished
Sprite #2:

Costume design works well on this, and the execution was enough to just push it over for me. However, I do have a few nitpicks. The dress's shading is a little flat, with no colored outlines or notable shading on the mouth, even though it is part of the same curved fabric. Aside from that, I think the Pumpkaboo behind the trainer does little but clutter the image, adding more visual noise than there needs to be, especially with the other Pumpkaboo snuggled neatly in the trainer's arms. Just seems redundant to me. But as previously stated, the costume concept and execution was enough to make me look past the flaws and give it my vote.

Great job to the above contestants! Can't wait to see what you bring out to the next contest!

Vote 1: Sunfished Sprite#2

As evidenced by it's popularity thus far it's hard not to like this sprite, great idea, great excecution 10/10 imho.

Vote 2: SirDonovan Sprite #1

I really like this one as well Erika and Mismagius are a great fit

All the other entries are great as well, looking forward to seeing future contests

Reisen

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hello guys,

The voting period ends now ! I wanted to say thank you to every participants, all of you did an AMAZING work that is really impressive I wasn't expecting that for a first contest I'm pretty sure you will enjoy the future contests and you will do a great work again.

We can nominate the winners for this first spriting contest which was about Halloween:

Spriter of the Week - 1st place: Sunfished | 8 votes for the Pumpkaboo sprite (9 in total)

2nd place ex-aequo: Twerkerella | 4 votes for the Chandelure sprite (5 in total) & sirDonovan | 4 votes for the Mismagius sprite (5 in total)

Congratulations to the winners and thank you to every participants, I hope to see you all for the next contest which will start soon !

Last edited:

Amaluna

Somewhere between relatable and psychotic
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Good god. Sunfished is inhuman! That Pumpkaboo sprite is really well done and the color scheme really fits it. I honestly thought this was a custom sprite for Osiris.

Shout out to sirDonovan for that Mismagius cosplay. Really well pulled off. The mashup from the player + pokemon is really clever.

Twerkerella also had a really nice sprite with the Shiny Litwick cos player. They way you made the dress for the maid was really clever and nicely pulled of.

Keep up the great work, guys. I'll try to join the next one!

PS: Thanks Sunfished, for making me aware of this thread!

Reisen

As you could see in the tittle guys, the next contest will start this sunday. Hope to see you all participating !

Reisen

Have you ever wanted to improve an old sprite ? You will be able to do it in that contest !

This contest will be focused on the revamp of 2 old sprites, from gen 1 or 2. Here are the different links of pokemons sprites which you will have to work on: RBY sprites & GSC sprites

If you want to work on RB sprites, you can find them by searching pokemons in this fantastic site: http://pldh.net/dex/sprites/

Here are the gen 1 and gen 2 trainers sheets:

And now the different rules to follow:

• The participants will have to choose One pokemon sprite & One trainer sprite. They couldn't take 2 pokemons sprites or 2 trainers sprites to revamp.
  • The participants could use any color palette especially when it concerns Gen 1 Trainers sprites. They could change the color palette of the Gen 2 trainers if they want to.
  • The participants will need to give the color palette they used.
  • The participants are able to add everything on the trainer sprite; accessories etc it is completely free
  • The participants are able to change the size of the trainer sprite if they want to.
  • The participants can edit their work until we reach to the deadline.
  • Do not steal other people's creations
  • The participants will have to show their works just like that: The revamp sprite on the top left, below it the old sprite and on the right the sprite that you used to make the revamp. Also add the color palette anywhere.
How to post for this contest ?

The participants will have to post their two sprites in this way:

Trainer Sprite: img
Pokemon Sprite: img

If you want to participate, just post "In" in this topic, I will modify this message to make a participants list.

Deadline: 01/11/2015 1:00pm GMT +2
If the participants don't post their sprites before that date, their participation will not be considered.

Participants:

Awu
Nightmare Serum
Cynthia612
Sunfished
Kasumi♥
Valiancy
Twerkerella
Exeggutor
sirDonovan
Rhythms
Obliviate
VuvuzelaBzz

The Revamp sprites:

Nightmare Serum
Trainer Sprite:

Pokemon Sprite:

Cynthia612
Trainer sprite:

Pokemon sprite:

Exeggutor
Trainer sprite:

Pokemon sprite:

Kasumi♥

Awu
Trainer sprite:

Pokemon sprite:

Sunfished
Trainer Sprite:

Pokemon Sprite:

Twerkerella
Trainer Sprite:

Pokemon Sprite:

Obliviate
Trainer Sprite:

Pokemon Sprite:

VuvuzelaBzz
Trainer Sprite:

Pokemon Sprite:

sirDonovan
Trainer sprite:

Pokemon sprite:

Valiancy
Pokémon Sprite:

Trainer Sprite:

WINNERS OF THE REVAMPS CONTEST:

1st place: Exeggutor, Twerkerella & VuvuzelaBzz - 3 votes in total

Last edited:
Oh I am so IN this one. Questions:
1. Can we use already revamped sprites? This is because I've already revamped the whole RB 151 Pokemons(the one where there's fetus mew).
2. I don't get how to post the entries. As in I'm seeing the way to post in the rules a little confusing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)