Sprites that got worse

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Tyranitar, my favorite Pokemon, like the mountains it destroys, got better, peaked, then went down.

GSC started decent enough. Pretty neutral.

Backsprite is pretty cramped as you do in the early gens. Wouldn't be surprised if someone confused it with Scyther, for example. Spikes take up too much room.

Gen 3 it was pretty cool, but the head was at this weird awkward angle. But the backsprite is great and proportional.

Gen 4 was pretty much perfect. At least for the front sprite.

Backsprite is kinda awkward...there is more room in Gen 4, yet it still feels cramped. The top spike/horn looks like an eyebrow which is just way too weird.

Within the same gen, HGSS decides to create an all-new sprite that is just worse. The DPP sprite perfectly used angle and perspective to hide the shortness of the arms. HGSS decides to EMPHASIZE the derpiness of the shortness of the arms by having it swing them up and down in some bizarre animation.

With Gen 5, we double down on the derp. Now its mouth is perpetually hanging open and it's rocking its head back and forth like a braindead idiot. The eyes stay in that blank stare no matter where its head moves.

Remind you of anything?

However, it's saved by the backsprite which I think may be the best one so far. They close the mouth and give it a stoic, intense stare.

But...even then they can't leave well enough alone. BW2 brings us this horrible monstrosity:

The derpface is back, the perspective makes it look like it has hillbilly buckteeth, and they even decided to make the hips super thicc. I have no idea why they can't leave well enough alone. It was even sadder to experience this firsthand as I never played BW1, and Bulbapedia listed the backsprite as the same for BW2. So "imagine my shock" when I transferred my beloved Rachel the Tyranitar, looking forward to seeing the great BW1 backsprite and being confronted with this monstrosity.

Nowhere to go but up, really, XY and onward is pretty okay. Like a lot of the 3D models, it lacks anima and personality, but I'll take the stone-cold stoic look over the derp face every time. At least the attack animations look cool (Ice Beam actually comes out of its mouth now!!).

The backsprite is cool too. Glad the face is mostly obscured.

Remember when Scyther and Gengar actually looked threatening?
0A0CBEC3-9774-4DED-837B-183EF8196B1F.png
D2B82E0C-90D2-410D-900E-012CC24F0A32.png

Now Scyther hangs limply in the air like a marionette and appears to be wearing the boots from a child’s dinosaur costume. Gengar has been egregiously brightened and desaturated, ruining the Cheshire cat illusion that I assume inspired its design.
E0866A55-80F7-4619-B59A-B5E57DCD4689.png
5C008F99-85D9-40D2-B515-DE6814896060.png

:bw/serperior:

Majestic, but still active and ready to knock your team around in NU.

:xy/serperior:

Still not awful, its just that the tail being on the ground, the more circular motion, and I'd argue the mouth length make it inferior to the black/white sprite.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
if anything i think its way harder to find sprites that benefitted from the transition to 3D than the other way around

It's also pretty interesting to see how so many post-3D designs ONLY work in 3D, consistently animated--and look a lot worse in static images (Blacephalon is a great example).

I guess my point is a lot of these Pokemon were never really designed to be seen in motion like they are now, and often times they just don't have very strong ideas for how to make them move in interesting ways so they settled on a baseline of having Pokemon post-XY just...stand there to make it easier for themselves. Pretty sad lol

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
View attachment 292695 Remember when Hippowdon had the sand with it? I do and honestly it was something I liked, especially in gen 5 where it was animated... and then they decide to remove it and we get this thing
View attachment 292697
What sucks most about shit like this is that the sprites set the mechanical expectation that hippowdon always rests on a bed of sand or can control it (think Gaara from Naruto) and the reality is... much more disappointing

I'd like to propose that one of the few pokemon to benefit from 3d models is Ludicolo. Look at him go, dancing away and having the time of his life! Otherwise pokemon that are better with 3d models are the exception rather than the rule, everything else is sooooo much worse

:xy/ludicolo:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)