CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Syclant Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, DougJustDoug, but I'm just a fast-learning newb with a mind for rules.

Also, I haven't been able to load the sprites for syclant yet. Apparently I need a newer version of java or something. Incidentaly, if you don't load the sprites, it just looks like the last pokemon in play.

I have already tsted Syclant and it doesnt work very well... :S
not a very high stats, x4 weak to fire and rock, and well, moves are nice, and the possibility of choosing between special and physical sweeper is nice too. It's like a Lucario but with more weaknesses

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Okay, so I need to post as to why I locked Syclant RMTs (and warstories as well, if I had seen any):

Stark Mountain is about the normal games containing Pokemon #1 to Pokemon #493 from the Sinnoh dex. The "Create a Pokemon" (I'll call it CAP for short) project is cool, and I was actually one of the persons that contributed a bit for the second Pokemon (the Ghost/Fighting one) by voting. However, that does not mean that we can post RMTs and warstories containing fake Pokemon.

That said, we mods are looking into this thing so that we keep everyone happy. We are currently keeping DougJustDoug updated about what we're doing about it. This is because we at Smogon value projects that are run in an intelligent manner, such as this one, and hence we do not wish to say no to this.

So, for the time being, please do not post RMTs and warstories containing fake Pokemon until we settle our decision. An announcement about this thing should be made sooner rather than later, but that's all I can say for now.

So, for the time being, please do not post RMTs and warstories containing fake Pokemon until we settle our decision. An announcement about this thing should be made sooner rather than later, but that's all I can say for now.

I assume Syclant warstories can be posted in this topic, right?
If not, please let me know, because I might post one later.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Stark Mountain is about the normal games containing Pokemon #1 to Pokemon #493 from the Sinnoh dex.
ahh i see where you are comeing from....
The "Create a Pokemon" (I'll call it CAP for short) project is cool, and I was actually one of the persons that contributed a bit for the second Pokemon (the Ghost/Fighting one) by voting.
great
However, that does not mean that we can post RMTs and warstories containing fake Pokemon.
i disagrre with the word "fake" i think unofficial works better, but anyway why does it mean that?

is it due to the pokemon not being relesed by nintendo?
if so we must ban arceus.

is it due to people not knowing enough about it to rate teams?
if so then those who do know will rate them, like UU players rate UU team syclant players will rate syclant teams.

it it due to it not being in the pokedex?
well i can kinda see your point here.... but you can use it in competive battles so why not alow it?

That said, we mods are looking into this thing so that we keep everyone happy. We are currently keeping DougJustDoug updated about what we're doing about it. This is because we at Smogon value projects that are run in an intelligent manner, such as this one, and hence we do not wish to say no to this.
is there somewhere that people other than DJD can discuss this with mods? i and a mod on the server and would like to have some say, or at least know whats going on.
have you heard the idea of a separate subform in stark mountin?

ok, that sounds good.
one more thing would i be able to run a syclant test torny?
if i get a mods permission.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
one more thing would i be able to run a syclant test torny?
if i get a mods permission.
But isn't the server in general the Syclant testing ground right now?

Looking over the counters to Syclant, it looks like most counters kind of depend on Syclant not carrying Earth Power. =P Which makes me kind of wonder why there isn't just a fully-special Syclant that uses Tail Glow. It's not like it's necessary to kill Blissey. Plenty of other Pokemon can do that already.

eric the espeon

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
But isn't the server in general the Syclant testing ground right now?
yes... but a torny would be fun

Looking over the counters to Syclant, it looks like most counters kind of depend on Syclant not carrying Earth Power. =P Which makes me kind of wonder why there isn't just a fully-special Syclant that uses Tail Glow. It's not like it's necessary to kill Blissey. Plenty of other Pokemon can do that already.
what about specs ant? that uses EP.

Magmortified

Tail Glow + Earth Power = illegal
It is? Hm... No wonder. Guess I should have looked a bit closer at how they're both egg moves.

what about specs ant? that uses EP.
It does. Right now, I'm trying to figure how much a Specs Earth Power would do to Metagross... and maybe Jirachi. Probably not an OHKO, but it'd probably do enough to discourage another switch-in.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Please keep all Syclant-related posts confined to Create-A-Pokemon threads for now.

Since the mod server came up, this whole Create-A-Pokemon thing has just exploded. It has caused a flurry of activity and debate, both inside and outside of Smogon. Many people involved in the Create-A-Pokemon project do not realize some of the controversy this is causing, but it is happening. In an effort to smooth things out and to channel all this energy in a positive direction, I reached out to a few members of the Smogon staff to discuss future direction.

I'm not "the boss" of the CAP project. No one is; it is a community effort. And I'm not the only one that can discuss issues with Smogon staff. But, it appears that the server was a catalyst for most of this controversy. I made the server, and I'm the server admin. Therefore, I feel a certain responsibility to help smooth out any problems caused by the server.

As you can see from X-Act's posts, Smogon is very supportive of intelligent projects like this. Because of the expanding scope of this project, it is unclear right now how Smogon will provide proper support for this in the future. I'm choosing my words carefully here, and I suspect X-Act is doing the same. Please don't ask for elaboration. I don't have any more information to give, and members of the Smogon staff aren't going to respond. I'm surprised X-Act posted here, but I appreciate it.

Considering the ambiguous nature of all this right now, I'm asking for a moratorium on raising CAP project issues outside of these threads. Please don't PM the Smogon mods on these issues. Let's just proceed with our testing of Syclant, and continue to build our Fighting Ghost. If you want to post warstories or team suggestions inside the CAP threads, I doubt the mods would consider it "off-topic".

So, just be patient for a while. I'm sure the situation will be clarified soon, and everything will work out just fine.

I'm curious, does Mountaineer protect against sandstorm damage/is it intended to? Sandstorm is a rock attack, but it's obviously a unique situation to be considered. I'm personally of the opinion that Mountaineer should block the first turn of Sandstorm damage, however programming it would be pretty complicated.
lol, I was talking to Doug about that the other day as a joke. He ended up saying something along the lines of how Smogon would hate me for bringing up that possibility. xD

eric the espeon

ok DJD.

and AS i dont like that idea, it would be an extra thing for DJD to program and it does not need it. it would have little affect and does not fit very well, mountineers dodge rocks but not sandstorms.

also whys no one on the server? normaly at this time theres about 5-9 people on.

edit as i typed this 3 people came on

ok DJD.

and AS i dont like that idea, it would be an extra thing for DJD to program and it does not need it. it would have little affect and does not fit very well, mountineers dodge rocks but not sandstorms.

also whys no one on the server? normaly at this time theres abotu 5-9 people on.
lol, I was talking to Doug about that the other day as a joke. He ended up saying something along the lines of how Smogon would hate me for bringing up that possibility. xD
Oh, I don't like the idea either. I was joking when I brought it up.

I left because I had to go clean. I'll be back on in 15 minutes or half-an hour most likely. (Both of me, so you can warn tennisace, xD)

eric the espeon

Oh, I don't like the idea either. I was joking when I brought it up.
right it looked like the person you quoted was serious.

I left because I had to go clean. I'll be back on in 15 minutes or half-an hour most likely. (Both of me, so you can warn tennisace, xD)
both of you? are you two people?

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Aka SyclantTest. And cronostricke only knows this because I just questioned him on it!

/lookup rocks :)

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Okay, so I need to post as to why I locked Syclant RMTs (and warstories as well, if I had seen any):

Stark Mountain is about the normal games containing Pokemon #1 to Pokemon #493 from the Sinnoh dex. The "Create a Pokemon" (I'll call it CAP for short) project is cool, and I was actually one of the persons that contributed a bit for the second Pokemon (the Ghost/Fighting one) by voting. However, that does not mean that we can post RMTs and warstories containing fake Pokemon.

fair enough =)

I have already tsted Syclant and it doesnt work very well... :S
not a very high stats, x4 weak to fire and rock, and well, moves are nice, and the possibility of choosing between special and physical sweeper is nice too. It's like a Lucario but with more weaknesses
you are definetly not using him right. When was the last time you swept with garchomp >_> after magnezone destroyed your opponents zong and skarm.

Ok i have a bit more on the tail glow syclant is over powered.

His team may not have been great, or nor was he a great player but syclant did run right though his team =)

Porky switched in Dugtrio (lvl 100 Dugtrio ?).
Blissey used Aromatherapy.
---
Dugtrio used Earthquake.
Blissey lost 68% of its health.
Blissey used Seismic Toss.
Dugtrio lost 47% of its health.
Blissey's leftovers restored its health a little!
Blissey restored 6% of its health.
---
Dugtrio used Earthquake.
Blissey lost 67% of its health.
lenovo0042's Blissey fainted.
---

BLissey, easily slaughtered with dugtrio.

lenovo0042 switched in Lucario (lvl 100 Lucario ?).
Pointed stones dug into Lucario.
Lucario lost 3% of its health.
Lucario used Extremespeed.
Dugtrio lost 79% of its health.
Porky's Dugtrio fainted.
---
Porky switched in Bronzong (lvl 100 Bronzong).
Lucario used Close Combat.
Bronzong lost 45% of its health.
Lucario's defence was lowered.
Lucario's special defence was lowered.
Bronzong used Hypnosis.
Lucario fell asleep!
---
Porky switched in Syclant (lvl 100 Syclant ?).
Lucario is fast asleep!

I put his luke to sleep, setting up for a syclant sweep
---
Syclant used Tail Glow.
Syclant's special attack was sharply raised.
Lucario is fast asleep!
---
Syclant used Focus Blast.
It's super effective!
Lucario lost 496% of its health.
lenovo0042's Lucario fainted.
Syclant lost 10% of its health.

With only 1-2 turns of sleep i easily set up tail glow.
---
lenovo0042 switched in Pikachu (lvl 100 Pikachu ?).
Pointed stones dug into Pikachu.
Pikachu lost 12% of its health.
Syclant used Bug Buzz.
Pikachu lost 336% of its health.
lenovo0042's Pikachu fainted.
---
lenovo0042 switched in Blaziken (lvl 100 Blaziken ?).
Pointed stones dug into Blaziken.
Blaziken lost 12% of its health.
Syclant used Focus Blast.
Blaziken lost 150% of its health.
lenovo0042's Blaziken fainted.
---
lenovo0042 switched in Tentacruel (lvl 100 Tentacruel ?).
Pointed stones dug into Tentacruel.
Tentacruel lost 12% of its health.
Syclant used Blizzard.
It's not very effective...
Tentacruel lost 74% of its health.
Tentacruel used Toxic Spikes.
Spikes were scattered everywhere!
Toxic Spikes were scattered around the foe's team!
Tentacruel's Black Sludge restored a little health!
Tentacruel restored 6% of its health.

At this point a syclant counter comes in and trys to wall me, although he was foolish in toxic spiking, but even if he surfed i would have had enough hp to kill tenta and 1 other. Which is still very powerful
---
Syclant used Bug Buzz.
It's not very effective...
Tentacruel lost 56% of its health.
lenovo0042's Tentacruel fainted.
---
lenovo0042 switched in Torterra (lvl 100 Torterra ?).
Pointed stones dug into Torterra.
Torterra lost 6% of its health.
Syclant used Blizzard.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Torterra lost 1125% of its health.
lenovo0042's Torterra fainted.
Porky wins!
lenovo0042 has left the room.
I admit he should not have let me set up, but with 1 tail glow he is still able to run through a team with tentacruel AND blissey.

I could have easily brought in dugtrio later on in the game when tentacruel tried to set up t-spikes on EQed his ass.

The team had F'n Pikachu and Blaziken that is recipe to lose.Those two pokes alone show the person was really trying to win.Replace those two pokes with Raikou/Jolteon and Inferape what happens then.You have come something better than to proven your point.

Magmortified

The team had F'n Pikachu and Blaziken that is recipe to lose.
Pikachu is epic. Don't you ever pretend it isn't. =P

Those two pokes alone show the person was really trying to win.Replace those two pokes with Raikou/Jolteon and Inferape what happens then.You have come something better than to proven your point.
Looking at the stats here, I'm assuming it's a Timid Syclant with 252/252 Special Attack and Speed (hey, fully special Syclant!).

Raikou and Infernape would have died after a Tail Glow (and in Infernape's case, probably not even that) before they could hit it, as long Infernape wasn't packing Mach Punch. Jolteon would have beaten it, though.

The question was why they left Lucario in after it went to sleep. =P

@eric the espeon: (apologies if this has already been addressed, I only looked at his posts)

I think that banning syclant RMTs is absolutely fine. yeah, it was made by some smogon regulars, and yeah, there is a server for it, but the fact remains that the server is modded and I think that x-act's reasoning behind it is that seeing as how the server is modded, it's no better than posting a team made on captain's modded server of lava pluming kakunas.

Magmortified

I think that banning syclant RMTs is absolutely fine. yeah, it was made by some smogon regulars, and yeah, there is a server for it, but the fact remains that the server is modded and I think that x-act's reasoning behind it is that seeing as how the server is modded, it's no better than posting a team made on captain's modded server of lava pluming kakunas.
I think that the big difference between Syclant and any other modded Pokemon (Magikarp was made moderator!) is really its pedigree as a creation of the Smogon community. And with the blood, sweat, and tears that went into this, I'm guessing that the pull towards being able to have your teams rated with Syclant is a bit greater than the need to use a Lava Plume Kakuna somebody decided on.

Just my thoughts.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Did quite a lot of Scylant testing tonight, just because I was really bored. Originally went in to antagonise Cooper, but realised he wasn't there.

Oh, and before I start, could I say that Screw-on-Head's first post was a masterpiece and I agree with every word.

I was using the set Timid, 4/252/252/ Tail Glow, Bug Buzz, Ice Beam, HP Ground @ Life Orb. I paired him with Dugtrio for Blissey killing purposes.

A good portion of the matches could not be considered a fair sample; the Official Server went down at one point and there was a flood of users who clearly had no idea what Scylant was and just flailed around helplessly. They were easy sweeps.

I played against all of KoA's teams. I found him to be effective, pulling off a sweep in one of the matches, and just being a general nuisance in the others. KoA's Scylant proved to be a handful too, 2HKOing my Scizor with Blizzard, but was easy to revenge kill with Blaziken.

I think people need to stop ranting on about how it's impossible for him to set up a Tail Glow because I managed quite easily in each match. Ice/Bug forces so many switches and the defences are usable anyway - I was pretty impressed when he took a Dusknoir EQ for a mere 20% and proceeded to stat up. Having said that, he could have easily OHKO'd with Fire Punch, but I suspected he didn't know it due to the way he reacted to Scizor earlier.

I found it to be a much bigger threat than Azelf, but I'd be lying if I said he was any more effective than Garchomp. Although Garchomp is by no means a good Pokemon to base comparisons off considering his uber credentials.

Would like to test more. I think his speed should be lowered though for the reasons S-o-H stated, but also for balance issues. 111 seems like a good compromise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)