Playoffs Smogon Grand Slam IV - Play-offs - No Winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
Hey Bluewind, I see you stalking me again like usual. I have money now. If you were nicer to me, I could probably buy you from Mexico so you would have a chance to achieve the American Dreams here in America. What do you say, taco burrito boy?

Also I hope this doesn't come off as rude, but how about you people get good at this game? You'll be able to beat whoever and their ghosters if you were truly good. Just a thought for you to ponder.

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
stour style format is very flawed. adding up to what antemortem has said, it's very unfair to people with shitty timezones. tours of this caliber (the biggest tour for lower tiers) should be held for everyone, not a certain timezone where everyone else has to adapt. i think with the harsher ghosting punishments, and from recent events, there will be less cases of ghosting, even though this tournament somewhat encourages ghosting. this tour should go on, ghosting isn't a solid reason to ban it.

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
Dice, if you're reading this I need you to know that you're my first love on Smogon and that will never change. I only liked omfuga's post and those memes didicated to you cause they cute. <333

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey Bluewind, I see you stalking me again like usual. I have money now. If you were nicer to me, I could probably buy you from Mexico so you would have a chance to achieve the American Dreams here in America. What do you say, taco burrito boy?

Also I hope this doesn't come off as rude, but how about you people get good at this game? You'll be able to beat whoever and their ghosters if you were truly good. Just a thought for you to ponder.
1) i didn't.

2) do you legit not have anything better to do?

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
Yes you do. I swear to gods that I see you every time I post something. I'll click back on this thread a minute after I post this post and you will be here.

On the contrary actually, I work 8-12 hours on most days. I'm extremely busy; however, I still make time for Smogon. It's good to rekindle past romantic relationships, like what we're doing now. That and I gotta keep up with the latest gossips on here, i.e., who's getting caught ghosting. We homosexual people like to gossip. You of all people should know that.

Tele

a quality human being
To the guy who haxed the shit out of me and beat me in round 2 of the uu open and then talked a lot of shit about how shitty my stall team was, thanks for making me realize how much i suck at lower tiers and saving my time

Just know I was the real winner all in all

While I understand the reasons stated for not awarding anybody the trophy this season, I think it should be reconsidered. That ruling is totally unfair to users like Kingler who actually put in a ton of effort over the course of, as you said, 10 months to learn every metagame and play for himself legitimately. He earned his place in the finals for a chance to compete for a trophy, in a grueling, time consuming tournament, and was robbed of it by an opponent who was cheating.

Why should clean users like himself and others in the playoffs be punished for the actions of others? I get that it's annoying to recreate, and metagames have changed or whatever, but just have them play in the metagame that was in effect during the season and finish the tournament off. If you're going to have super strict ghosting rules, people who play cleanly cannot be punished because of them. That's totally unfair.

On the contrary I agree with not giving the trophy to anyone. This tournament was repeated once before, and this is the second time kingler lost. While I do have sympathy for him, I don't believe someone who lost twice should get a third chance.

The one thing i'm disappointed in is 6 months tournament ban? This happened 3 times in one year where smogon has to repeat an official tournament bracket because of cheating. This is an absolute disgrace. There should be stricter consequences because this ruins smogons image and it slashes the prestige of these tournaments.

I can see both sides of the coin here, however Kingler effectively has been "cheated out of it" twice, so I can feel a little more sympathetic for him. I know firsthand how much he was doing to try and win this tournament. He must've asked me to test about a million times in NU open and in playoffs, whilst building his own teams. Since he worked so hard for it, I would be on the side to give it to him rather than not at this point. If there was anyone who deserved it, it was him.

But then again, he quit after grand slam, bouff did the same so kingler must've been ghosted too.

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
I sympathize with him too. Second try is already sad enough as it is, generally speaking. Third try (and supposed victory) will make winning this tournament meaningless. Might as well just give him the trophy and not waste anyone's time.

I, like a lot of people here, have been studying these low level tiers in secrecy for the past months. I'm ready to make an impact in Grand Slam 3.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
On the contrary I agree with not giving the trophy to anyone. This tournament was repeated once before, and this is the second time kingler lost. While I do have sympathy for him, I don't believe someone who lost twice should get a third chance.

The one thing i'm disappointed in is 6 months tournament ban? This happened 3 times in one year where smogon has to repeat an official tournament bracket because of cheating. This is an absolute disgrace. There should be stricter consequences because this ruins smogons image and it slashes the prestige of these tournaments.
Want to address the bolded part. I think this is flawed logic. The reason that we have disallowed ghosting at all is because it poses an unfair advantage to the people who are ghosting. Firstly, there is the 'teamplay' aspect of it. Three or four people together are far less likely to make dumb mistakes and will also see optimal plays, catch patterns in the other guys' style, etc. more easily. Secondly, it gives you a false read on the other person's playstyle i.e. if I think that I'm playing Masterclass, who I have played before and know to play a certain way, but he's really being ghosted by Bloo, who would make entirely different plays, I'm at a big disadvantage. So Kingler lost twice, yeah, but certainly not in fair circumstances.

And to throw in about the second point: Completely agree. A six month tour ban is a god damn slap on the wrist. If TDs care about cleaning up the scene and this painfully casual and common ghosting that has plagued us, a one year tour ban would be the best start.

edit: just saw new policy. why isn't it applied here?

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
it's not like another bracket recreation would automatically grant kingler the trophy. there are still qsns and tesung to consider, neither of whom have gotten a second chance after having played their series with a supposed unfair advantage.

it's a matter of just two series, aside from being slightly annoying for the TDs i'm sure most people would be happy to watch more grand slam.

Luigi

spo.ink/shadowtag
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 27 Championis a Past SPL Champion
I can see both sides of the coin here, however Kingler effectively has been "cheated out of it"
How so? It's not like having freestylerking and dice whisper sweet nothings into the opponents ears as they play that big of an advantage lol

In smogon tours if you lose to a sogeking alt that after the game is found out to be sogeking, the sogeking alt gets dq'd, but the person that lost to him doesn't get a second chance causd they still lost. Same should apply here.

it's not like another bracket recreation would automatically grant kingler the trophy. there are still qsns and tesung to consider, neither of whom have gotten a second chance after having played their series with a supposed unfair advantage.
Nobody is saying Kingler would get it automatically. I was using him as an example of someone who made it to the finals on his own merit being screwed out of the chance to win legitimately.

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
edit: just saw new policy. why isn't it applied here?
The new policy hasn't been published, Mazar and FSK got a 6 months ban for cheating in the same tour and it happened before the new policy was created. So it makes sense to use the harsher punishments for something that happened in the past.

Nonetheless I obviously agree, that a one year ban is better, since I've advocated that in the past anyways. But in this case also banning for only 6 months seems fine.

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I dont know but back when I was little and we played hide'n'seek and we caught someone cheating we usually called it quits and went our separate ways
Unlike you my kindergarten gang wasn't full of pussies, so here me out, I got the solution. A couple of admins and kingler just drive over to bouff's place, the admins hold bouff and kingler gets to kick him in the nuts for free. That certainly makes up for this tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)