Gen 7 SM UU: Primarina + Terrakion Offense

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
Last month, I decided to play in the SM UU spotlight tours for the sake of SM nostalgia(I was into SM UU when gen 7 was current). I had a very good run , going 4-0 and only losing to PIF in the finals. This is one of the teams I used in it. It’s my first SM UU team in several years, so I’d like a few suggestions to make it better.

Pokepaste: Primarina Offense (pokepast.es)

Team-building Process

I wanted to build around offensive Primarina as I had heard that it had only 2 real counters: Blissey and Empoleon(for non Sub variants).

:primarina:

I added Terrakion as the second part of the offensive core as it can threaten and abuse Primarina’s only two solid answers.

:primarina: + :terrakion:

Scarf Hydreigon was chosen next as it provides speed control and provides easy entry to Primarina and Terrakion with U-Turn.

:primarina: + :terrakion: + :hyreigon:

Rotom-Heat was added as it provided a check to Scizor and Mega Manectric(alongside Steelix) as well a Volt Switch pivot.

:primarina: + :terrakion: + :hyreigon: + :rotom-heat:

Amoongus was added as Spore gives my offensive pokemon easy switch-in opportunities.

:primarina: + :terrakion: + :hyreigon: + :rotom-heat: + :amoongus:

Mega Steelix was added to provide a much-needed Volt Switch blocker and check to Latias.

Set Descriptions

Primarina @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Psychic

Primarina: Sub 3 attacks is a reliable wall-breaker with only 1 real answer: Blissey. It helps lure in specially defensive pokemon like Empoleon and Blissey for Terrakion to take advantage of. It also provides decent defensive utility vs Hydreigon, Infernape and Specs Latias and can switch into choice-locked water and fighting moves aimed at Terrakion or Steelix. I’m also considering Specs here to give the team more immediate power.

Terrakion @ Rockium Z
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Earthquake

Terrakion: It shores up this team’s otherwise bad MU into bulky. As mentioned earlier, it takes advantage of common Hydreigon and Primarina switch-ins. It’s tough to wall outright and has good bulk, sometimes forcing opponents to rely on ab-usable scarfers to RK it. Hydreigon has good defensive synergy with it.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

Hydreigon: Provides speed control. Chosen over other scarfers as it has a fast U-Turn to bring in my offensive pokemon. It also has good defensive synergy with Primarina. It also has decent bulk, letting it be a soft check to Chandelure and Mega Houndoom, which the team is otherwise weak to. It can switch into Fire and Ground type attacks aimed at Steelix as well. Also switches into ground moves aimed at Terrakion.

Rotom-Heat @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 236 HP / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Toxic

Rotom-Heat: Obligatory Scizor check. Helps Mega Steelix handle Mega Manetric. Checks Mamoswine and Togekiss. Considering Firium Z here to help with Krookodile. Also provides Defog Utility, which is good for Primarina and Terrakion. It forms a Volt Turn core alongside Hydreigon, helping me immensely in maintaining momentum.

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb

Amoongus: Generates switch-in opportunities for SD Terrakion with Spore. Helps check the very scary Specs Primarina. Gives the team a fighting, water, grass and electric resist. Also backup checks Mega Altaria and the rare Zeraora.

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Atk / 48 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Curse

Steelix-Mega: Latias check, dragon resist and obligatory Volt Switch immunity. Sets up rocks and can threaten most defoggers and spinners 1v1. Curse helps put pressure on Gligar and other defoggers. Gyro Ball does absolutely impressive damage given Steelix’s low speed. It also has decent defensive synergy with Primarina(absorbing poison and electric moves aimed at it). Also checks fairies for Hydreigon and Terrakion.

Threatlist

Offensive Primarina: Specs becomes a huge threat with just 1 correct prediction vs Amoongus.

Infernape: Doable if you keep Primarina at high health.

Terrakion: CB can be very dangerous with good prediction. Same for SD, but not a lot of prediction required.

Nidoqueen: No real switchins.

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hi

team looks fine at a glance since it consists of tops mons only so itll likely perform but it does fall into the category of bulky offense being held together by defog oven which is sth ive come to heavily dislike as the pressure tends to rack up quickly without distributing the important roles of hazard removal and main scizor check. its not wrong per se to utilise rotom like this and is arguably a necessary evil sometimes but i would generally advise to avoid this teambuilding "trap" if you will. therefore i suggest pairing rotom w a different defog user and adjusting the team from there.

:empoleon: :terrakion: :latias: :rotom-heat: :krookodile: :amoonguss:
https://pokepast.es/dbf578e88e161b3e

empo takes on the role of dedicated hazard removal and helps check primarina which in turn should free up some pressure from amoonguss. latias alleviates the infernape issue somewhat (consider colbur to help it win the 1v1 against pursuit users nape is commonly paired with) and is also a much better pivot into queen than drei (especially if you decide to stick w recover but the set is quite flexible overall could even go z). finally scarf krook is the logical conclusion to patch up the speed lost by replacing drei to help w opposing lati + manectric. overall these changes provide the team w more options defensively while maintaining its offensive potential - sure you may lose an immediate breaker in prima but gain a wincon in lati and two progress makers w knock off.

if you prefer to stick to a more offensive approach and keep prima i suggest scrapping rotom-h entirely and focusing more on momentum with a manectric + scizor centered build instead since these types of structures support a slow breaker such as primarina better and can more easily get away w slapping defog on scarf drei for emergency hazard clearing while keeping up pressure to limit opportunities (for comparison consider the double steel volturn team from the samples).

cheers!

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
hi

team looks fine at a glance since it consists of tops mons only so itll likely perform but it does fall into the category of bulky offense being held together by defog oven which is sth ive come to heavily dislike as the pressure tends to rack up quickly without distributing the important roles of hazard removal and main scizor check. its not wrong per se to utilise rotom like this and is arguably a necessary evil sometimes but i would generally advise to avoid this teambuilding "trap" if you will. therefore i suggest pairing rotom w a different defog user and adjusting the team from there.

:empoleon: :terrakion: :latias: :rotom-heat: :krookodile: :amoonguss:
https://pokepast.es/dbf578e88e161b3e

empo takes on the role of dedicated hazard removal and helps check primarina which in turn should free up some pressure from amoonguss. latias alleviates the infernape issue somewhat (consider colbur to help it win the 1v1 against pursuit users nape is commonly paired with) and is also a much better pivot into queen than drei (especially if you decide to stick w recover but the set is quite flexible overall could even go z). finally scarf krook is the logical conclusion to patch up the speed lost by replacing drei to help w opposing lati + manectric. overall these changes provide the team w more options defensively while maintaining its offensive potential - sure you may lose an immediate breaker in prima but gain a wincon in lati and two progress makers w knock off.

if you prefer to stick to a more offensive approach and keep prima i suggest scrapping rotom-h entirely and focusing more on momentum with a manectric + scizor centered build instead since these types of structures support a slow breaker such as primarina better and can more easily get away w slapping defog on scarf drei for emergency hazard clearing while keeping up pressure to limit opportunities (for comparison consider the double steel volturn team from the samples).

cheers!
Ok, thanks a lot. What's a good 6 for me with Mega Mane + Scizor that keeps Primarina? I was considering this: Primarina + ManeZor Offense (pokepast.es) . Also, which sample are you referring to? The Mega Manetric sample in ROA(and forums) only has 1 steel.

Last edited:

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Ok, thanks a lot. What's a good 6 for me with Mega Mane + Scizor that keeps Primarina? I was considering this: Primarina + ManeZor Offense (pokepast.es) . Also, which sample are you referring to? The Mega Manetric sample in ROA(and forums) only has 1 steel.
i was referring to the one featured in the uu old gens hub (although i remember it being dd coba>luke)

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/uu-old-gens-hub.3666644/post-8521840

as you can see youre p much spot on already w your approach tho the rak slot is usually better filled w sth that helps check sciz (mane alone is iffy)

ofc theres options for example you can also go king>queen and use rocks helmet taunt coba

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
i was referring to the one featured in the uu old gens hub (although i remember it being dd coba>luke)

as you can see youre p much spot on already w your approach tho the rak slot is usually better filled w sth that helps check sciz (mane alone is iffy)

ofc theres options for example you can also go king>queen and use rocks helmet taunt coba
By that do you mean Rocks Helmet Taunt Coba over Terrakion?

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor

I tested that version of the team and it's mostly good but had Latias issues. Do you have any suggestions to fix that?
This one: Nidoking VoltTurn (pokepast.es)

Last month, I decided to play in the SM UU spotlight tours for the sake of SM nostalgia(I was into SM UU when gen 7 was current). I had a very good run , going 4-0 and only losing to PIF in the finals. This is one of the teams I used in it. It’s my first SM UU team in several years, so I’d like a few suggestions to make it better.

Pokepaste: Primarina Offense (pokepast.es)

Team-building Process

I wanted to build around offensive Primarina as I had heard that it had only 2 real counters: Blissey and Empoleon(for non Sub variants).

:primarina:

I added Terrakion as the second part of the offensive core as it can threaten and abuse Primarina’s only two solid answers.

:primarina: + :terrakion:

Scarf Hydreigon was chosen next as it provides speed control and provides easy entry to Primarina and Terrakion with U-Turn.

:primarina: + :terrakion: + :hyreigon:

Rotom-Heat was added as it provided a check to Scizor and Mega Manectric(alongside Steelix) as well a Volt Switch pivot.

:primarina: + :terrakion: + :hyreigon: + :rotom-heat:

Amoongus was added as Spore gives my offensive pokemon easy switch-in opportunities.

:primarina: + :terrakion: + :hyreigon: + :rotom-heat: + :amoongus:

Mega Steelix was added to provide a much-needed Volt Switch blocker and check to Latias.

Set Descriptions

Primarina @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Psychic

Primarina: Sub 3 attacks is a reliable wall-breaker with only 1 real answer: Blissey. It helps lure in specially defensive pokemon like Empoleon and Blissey for Terrakion to take advantage of. It also provides decent defensive utility vs Hydreigon, Infernape and Specs Latias and can switch into choice-locked water and fighting moves aimed at Terrakion or Steelix. I’m also considering Specs here to give the team more immediate power.

Terrakion @ Rockium Z
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Earthquake

Terrakion: It shores up this team’s otherwise bad MU into bulky. As mentioned earlier, it takes advantage of common Hydreigon and Primarina switch-ins. It’s tough to wall outright and has good bulk, sometimes forcing opponents to rely on ab-usable scarfers to RK it. Hydreigon has good defensive synergy with it.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

Hydreigon: Provides speed control. Chosen over other scarfers as it has a fast U-Turn to bring in my offensive pokemon. It also has good defensive synergy with Primarina. It also has decent bulk, letting it be a soft check to Chandelure and Mega Houndoom, which the team is otherwise weak to. It can switch into Fire and Ground type attacks aimed at Steelix as well. Also switches into ground moves aimed at Terrakion.

Rotom-Heat @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 236 HP / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Toxic

Rotom-Heat: Obligatory Scizor check. Helps Mega Steelix handle Mega Manetric. Checks Mamoswine and Togekiss. Considering Firium Z here to help with Krookodile. Also provides Defog Utility, which is good for Primarina and Terrakion. It forms a Volt Turn core alongside Hydreigon, helping me immensely in maintaining momentum.

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb

Amoongus: Generates switch-in opportunities for SD Terrakion with Spore. Helps check the very scary Specs Primarina. Gives the team a fighting, water, grass and electric resist. Also backup checks Mega Altaria and the rare Zeraora.

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Atk / 48 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Curse

Steelix-Mega: Latias check, dragon resist and obligatory Volt Switch immunity. Sets up rocks and can threaten most defoggers and spinners 1v1. Curse helps put pressure on Gligar and other defoggers. Gyro Ball does absolutely impressive damage given Steelix’s low speed. It also has decent defensive synergy with Primarina(absorbing poison and electric moves aimed at it). Also checks fairies for Hydreigon and Terrakion.

Threatlist

Offensive Primarina: Specs becomes a huge threat with just 1 correct prediction vs Amoongus.

Infernape: Doable if you keep Primarina at high health.

Terrakion: CB can be very dangerous with good prediction. Same for SD, but not a lot of prediction required.

Nidoqueen: No real switchins.
I like this, just a bit weak to specs prim and cb/sd terrak fosho. If amoon goes down, prim goes crazy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)