SLUGFEST ~ Gastro Hazard Stacking BO (Peak. 1800+)

IMG_0674.jpeg

User all the way on the top is my alt.

Introduction
The name is 658Greninja. I also go by my alt Double Dart Pult. Ever since Gen 9 released, Gastrodon has been left in the shadows. The combination of losing Scald, and Toxic, along with nerfs to recovery moves dealt heavy blows to its viability. Despite this I do believe Gastro to have a relevant niche in the tier as a check to Shocks, Rain, and Booster Tusks. Setting it apart from its competitio. My goal with this team is to bring out the strengths of Gastro while making a team that showcases unique spreads. If you want to run a unique team that makes use of an underused mon and if you hate Sandy Shocks, this is for you.

Le Squad

IMG_0675.png

art credit: https://artsy-theo.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F154185479303
Better Call Slug (Gastrodon) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Surf
- Spikes

The main star. Gastro plays a unique role on the team, blocking rain, shocks, washtom, and being a spike setter that 1v1s Tusk which is a feat even Samu can’t always accomplish. The spread lets Gastro avoid a 2HKO from booster Tusk after a layer of spikes and a 3HKO from defensive Tusk.

4 Atk Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 252 HP / 184+ Def Gastrodon: 162-192 (38 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after 1 layer of Spikes and Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Great Tusk Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 184+ Def Gastrodon: 135-159 (31.6 - 37.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Tera Poison to help the team against SD Valiant and Sneasler. Its also nice against Glimm leads.

IMG_0676.jpeg

art credit: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/WBmePJ

BrainPOP (Slowking-Galar) (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Future Sight
- Chilly Reception
- Sludge Bomb
- Grass Knot

If you get the reference to its name, you’re cultured. Anyways, Glowking’s role is a specially defensive pivot that can force progress with Future Sight. It covers the mu with Valiant, Sneasler, Enam, Zama, and helps Gastro with Wake. Grass Knot was chosen since Tera Water Garg would otherwise be a big problem for the team. Tera Grass cause atm the team doesn’t have a ground resist, let alone an immunity. 104 Dfse lets Glowking avoid an OHKO from defensive Tusk and a 2HKO from standard Zama’s Crunch.

0 Atk Zamazenta Crunch vs. 248 HP / 104 Def Slowking-Galar: 144-170 (36.6 - 43.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 Atk Great Tusk Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 104 Def Slowking-Galar: 288-342 (73.2 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

IMG_0678.jpeg

art credit: https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/colordrake/the-rampaging-primalmon-great-tusk

Big Tuskus (Great Tusk) @ Leftovers
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 104 HP / 172 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Earthquake
- Ice Spinner
- Rapid Spin

Tusk is the team’s physical wall, spinner, and wincon. Personally not a fan of the slower Tusk variants. Getting outsped by Ghold sucks and Tusks is bulky enough to shrug off physica hits even without PhysD investmen, so I went with this spread. 232 speed to outrun max speed Ghold. What about the 172 atk? Originally it had 132 atk evs to OHKO offensive Ghold, but 172 atk lets Tusks kill Enam with Spin + Ice Spinner. It also lets Tusk have a high chance of OHKOing 252 HP Ghold after a layer of spikes.

172 Atk Great Tusk Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 324-384 (85.7 - 101.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes

172 Atk Great Tusk Rapid Spin vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Enamorus: 70-83 (24.2 - 28.7%) -- 98.8% chance to 4HKO

172 Atk Great Tusk Ice Spinner vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Enamorus: 224-264 (77.5 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Tera Fire lets me set up on Molt while being a safety net against the fairies in case Glowking dies.

IMG_0679.jpeg

art credit: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/DA5YPE

Top Dreepy (Dragapult) (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn

Secondary wincon and first form of speed control. It loves abusing the spikes Gastro lays out without having to swap into spinblock and risk a Knock cause Gastro threatens Tusk. Its job is self explanatory. Nuke things with Draco and pivot in the early game, clean up late game. Tbolt OHKOs Enam and deals more dmg to Corv and Azu than Sball. Tera Ghost for more horsepower. Alternatively you can run Tera Fairy for the Pult ditto.

IMG_0680.png

art credit: https://spinoone.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F158831024163
Mauna Loa (Heatran) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 20 SpA / 236 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Tera Blast
- Stealth Rock

Needed a rock setter that can also check Dragapult. I also needed a mon that can punish Gambit and wallbreak. Enter Heatran. With Tera Fairy, it lures and traps Ting-Lu, benefiting Pult in the long run. Tera Fairy helps with bad matchups like Bax. 20 SpA evs lets Tran OHKO Pult with Tera Fairy Blast, giving it an immediate way of threatening it. Since I have a strong fire resist already, I decided to go with Flame Body which lets me punish U-Turns and physical attackers in a pinch.

IMG_0681.jpeg

art credit:
Mariah Carey (Baxcalibur) (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Ice Body
Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Glaive Rush
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

Band Bax is the team’s breaker and secondary speed control. Its honestly underrated due to being eclipsed by SD and DD, Band is really good on BO for even more immediate power. Life Orb SD was something I had in mind but I want a bit more longevity on this team. Ice Body with Chilly Reception support from Glowking lets it heal up chip dmg and live longer in a game. Tera Dragon is an absolute beast, but I went with Tera Ice for a few reasons. Grants me stronger Ice Shards for rkilling or cleaning, and lets me 2HKO Corv and Azu. The latter if which is funny since it’s supposed to be a “check to it” silly mon doesn’t realize Bax doesn’t have checks. Tera Ice also helps with opposing Bax.

252 Atk Choice Band Tera Ice Baxcalibur Icicle Crash vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 210-248 (52.6 - 62.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Tera Ice Baxcalibur Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Azumarill: 181-213 (44.8 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Gameplan/Tips

-Don’t be afraid of setting spikes with Gastro. Tusk can’t remove them safely anyways, and if Cinder Court Changes, set them up again.

-Only Tera when you need to, in order to cover a specific mu. Say if you’re up against a Bax, save Tera Fairy Tran for that, and so on. Smart Tera usage plays a big part of this team.

-Against HO teams with lead Glimm, Tera Poison right away with Gastro or lead Glowking. Against HO teams with lead Samu and Shocks, go Gastro and start getting up spikes. Makes it easier to check/rkill the sweepers.

Threat List

IMG_4649.png

Having to Tera or fish for Flame Body burns against Valiant is annoying. Specs and LO Enam variants are a problem since I have no safe EP switches due to the aforementioned no Ground resist thing. Try killing it early with Tusks, Pult, or Bax. Have Tran bait it into clicking EP and then get big chip off it. Also make sure to wear it down with rocks.

IMG_0688.png

Very annoying to switch into, specially offensive variants. Tera Grass with Glowking and keeping Bax healthy is the way to go with this mu.

IMG_0685.png
IMG_0689.png

The duo of annoying ass CM sweepers. Cress can be dealt with by Bax’s raw power, but Hatt causes huge problems for the team. Blocks hazards and shits on Tran with Tera Water. Save Tera Fire Tusk for this and also snipe Hatt if it Tera’d with Bax after some chip.

IMG_0686.png

Don’t let it in. (Tera Fairy with Tran)

Import: https://pokepast.es/4dac24ec941fa2f7

Replays of Gastro and friends vs OLT players: (Note that the team used in the replays has been tweaked a bit)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1914323183

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1914332338

IMG_0694.jpeg

art credit: me :)

I’ll be posting an analysis on Gastro in the OU discussion forums this week, so look forward to that while you enjoy this team.

Last edited:
Loving the use of the slug, very underrated but surprisingly tanky with great utility, including spikes now. Gratz on the peak, and great art at the end :quagchamppogsire:

Now next I wanna see a quag team

Really nice looking team! Gastrodon is niche for a reason, it certainly can’t make its way onto every team, but man does it shine when it’s the right choice. I have it on an RMT of mine (shameless plug) because of its ability to set hazards and check zapdos, rain, and rotom/most volt turn structures all in one slot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)