Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
How does the accuracy of Scale Shot work? Is the 90% chance calculated every time for each individual hit, or overall? (hitting 4 or 5 times is 15% + 15% = 30% probability, which is 27% chance accounting for the 90% accuracy, but this is significantly lower if the 90% chance is calculated for every hit)
90% to hit at all, then the move hits % is applied

Is there a resource on Smogon for how to find OU games on the console? Returning after a time and have an itch to play on the console for whatever reason. Thanks!

I don't know where can I ask this question:

Why does Tera Blast now have the same animation as Knock off? It is not logical !
Yeah it annoys me too.

There's a place for manual setters of terrain/weather/etc, right? I see it every now and again, sometimes it catches me off guard. Do they make an appearance in the higher ranks?

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
There's a place for manual setters of terrain/weather/etc, right? I see it every now and again, sometimes it catches me off guard. Do they make an appearance in the higher ranks?
Not naturally due to instant setting being better than turn based, but it has a niche when the weather mon cant hit glowking hard enough. you can also do memes with manual setter and a mon who gets to used all those turns for himself and not share, but this is uncommon

I see. When I do sew them, which is pretty rare, they are on teams that already has a setter. But that's mostly on, say elo 1200 or so. I was thinking of a manual terrain to complement grassy, but it seems like a lot of work for little payoff.

When can a Smogon format ban a move or ability? Is it only possible when it has multiple abusers that make it broken? I've heard people say that tiering policy can ban it if it's "inherently uncompetitive" (eg. it's luck based or prevents switching) and not broken because its abuser has good stats or other good moves.

When can a Smogon format ban a move or ability? Is it only possible when it has multiple abusers that make it broken? I've heard people say that tiering policy can ban it if it's "inherently uncompetitive" (eg. it's luck based or prevents switching) and not broken because its abuser has good stats or other good moves.
See this discussion (which was AFAIK never officially written down into any policy guideline, but has been de-facto adopted as policy).

Smogon prefers to ban Pokemon to other metagame elements where possible; when something is broken, it is typically sufficient to ban the broken Pokemon, in which case doing so is preferred. However, in the cases of something being uncompetitive or unhealthy, lowering the power level by banning the strongest abuser doesn't necessarily remove the problematic element. Instead, in such circumstances, Smogon prefers to ban the least impactful element. Your examples of luck and switch prevention are relevant, but another example is Baton Pass; while banning the best abusers lowers the power of Baton Pass, it doesn't remove the cheesiness and unhealthy nature of the strategy. And while Smogon could just ban every Pokemon that learns Baton Pass, banning Baton Pass as a move is clearly less impactful.

The exact specifics have come under discussion recently, e.g. with Tatsugiri in DOU being a particularly thorny case — the Dondozo + Commander combo was deemed broken, but Dondozo is not inherently broken, Commander is. Tatsugiri, as the sole owner of Commander, was banned, but it is slightly concerning from a policy perspective that the characteristics of Tatsugiri itself are totally orthogonal to the reason for the ban (if Magikarp or Luvdisc got Commander instead of Tatsugiri, it'd still be broken). Still, this decision affirms the precedent that, when possible to accomplish tiering policy with a Pokemon ban, that is preferred (so a Tatsugiri ban was preferred to a Commander ban since it "did the job").

Tera is another recent case where this has come up, with a lot of discussion revolving around whether banning x number of top abusers is justified by policy rather than just banning the mechanic, but to be honest I think most people in that conversation care less about the policy implications and more about their personal thoughts on whether Tera is healthy or not.

Smogon prefers to ban Pokemon to other metagame elements where possible; when something is broken, it is typically sufficient to ban the broken Pokemon, in which case doing so is preferred. However, in the cases of something being uncompetitive or unhealthy, lowering the power level by banning the strongest abuser doesn't necessarily remove the problematic element. Instead, in such circumstances, Smogon prefers to ban the least impactful element. Your examples of luck and switch prevention are relevant, but another example is Baton Pass; while banning the best abusers lowers the power of Baton Pass, it doesn't remove the cheesiness and unhealthy nature of the strategy. And while Smogon could just ban every Pokemon that learns Baton Pass, banning Baton Pass as a move is clearly less impactful.
Can you explain why they banned arena trap and Annihilape, instead of banning Dugtrio and Annihilape or arena trap and rage fist? Was arena trap Diglett more broken than rage fist Primeape?

Tera is another recent case where this has come up, with a lot of discussion revolving around whether banning x number of top abusers is justified by policy rather than just banning the mechanic, but to be honest I think most people in that conversation care less about the policy implications and more about their personal thoughts on whether Tera is healthy or not.
Speaking of Tera, when are we going to have action on this? Every suspect the same posts about Tera vs. the mon come up. People routinely delineate the two, and don’t buy the explanation that suspect tests are only a referendum on the suspect pokemon. Considering that a strong majority of 59% voted to axe the first go around, and 2/3 of the player base in surveys wants action, what is the hold up?

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Can you explain why they banned arena trap and Annihilape, instead of banning Dugtrio and Annihilape or arena trap and rage fist? Was arena trap Diglett more broken than rage fist Primeape?
Arena trap has multiple users. People would actually use Diglett and Trapinch just to trap stuff, same reason with Wob and Gothitelle. As for Annihilape, Primeape's probably not that broken. I believe that there were arguments that Annihilape became too much due to tera. Shedding all its weakness and feeding it rage fists was ridiculous and it murders slower teams

Arena Trap was utilized by the others and despite Diglett and Trapinch being NFE Pokemon they still could pull off the same trap and fish shenanigans that were considered to make AT Dugtrio unhealthy. Since the ability was proving the factor across the majority of users, the ability was deemed banworthy over the move.

In the case of Annihilape, Rage Fist alone is not considered broken enough to make any Pokemon overbearing: Annihilape manages it thanks to its very significant bulk, access to boosting moves, sustainability with Drain Punch, and the ability to magnify these set-up traits using defensive Tera, something that no other user (by which I mean just Primeape right now but still the principle) can replicate. The mon's collection of traits is what creates the unhealthy presence, so the mon is considered both the least intrusive and most intuitive (both for policy and simply remembering ruleset) approach to a ban.

How do know if the team I built is bad or if I just play badly with it?

I usually take teams from RMT and I can go to 1500 with them. With my own teams, I get stuck around 1200. However, I think my advantage with RMT teams is that they are well documented in how to play against key threats, something I am usually unaware about when I use my own teams. So I don't fully know if its me just being a bad builder or lacking game knowledge

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
How do know if the team I built is bad or if I just play badly with it?

I usually take teams from RMT and I can go to 1500 with them. With my own teams, I get stuck around 1200. However, I think my advantage with RMT teams is that they are well documented in how to play against key threats, something I am usually unaware about when I use my own teams. So I don't fully know if its me just being a bad builder or lacking game knowledge
When experiencing a new gen o meta, most people try to stick to samples, in your case, I think its a teambuilding thing more than a play thing

A quick tip is to use Marryland, it helps you assest type weakness on a team, which can be usefull

Yeah this forum has taught me that there is no shame in using sample teams, at all. The one person I saw critical of the practice was shut down hard.

We don't (usually) abide team buidling-shaming. Not like that.

How effective would this specs shaymin be in the current meta given alot of bulky mons are not so prepared for the rare special grass attacker?

Shaymin @ choice specs
1696856016118.png

252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 speed
Timid
Terra Fire
-Seed Flare
-Dazzling Gleam
-Terra Blast
-Earth Power

Timid
Terra Fire
-Seed Flare
-Dazzling Gleam
-Terra Blast
-Earth Power
I don't think locking yourself in to specs is good for shaymin. I think it's better to fish for Seed Flares first, since then you can do things like pop Gholdengo's balloon, not waste a tera to actually use Tera blast, etc. Weirdly enough, I think Shaymin could actually beat gliscor 1v1 as long as it's not the acrobatics set and you use Synthesis. Tera Fairy Dazzling Gleam would be probably funny for those Tera dragon manaphys running around.

Hi, I'm currently running webs rn and the BE interaction feels super inconsistent. Sometimes they BE speed before webs activates, sometimes it activates afterwords. Can someone help me with this? I remember seeing something like this in the initial SV mechanics thread, so you can just link it to me and I'll find it if you don't have time.

I don't think locking yourself in to specs is good for shaymin. I think it's better to fish for Seed Flares first, since then you can do things like pop Gholdengo's balloon, not waste a tera to actually use Tera blast, etc. Weirdly enough, I think Shaymin could actually beat gliscor 1v1 as long as it's not the acrobatics set and you use Synthesis. Tera Fairy Dazzling Gleam would be probably funny for those Tera dragon manaphys running around.
Shaymin @ Life orb
1696866527327.png

Timid
Terra Fairy
-Seed Flare
-Dazzling Gleam
-Synthesis
-Earth Power

how aboiut this tweak?

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
Why is Quaquaval not good in OU? Is it because of its speed?
It has horrible 4MSS, you want stabs, rapid spin, bu, sd, uturn, roost, knock off, and gets walled by stuff like mola, pex, donzo, corviknight, amoongus, tera water tusk, tera water garganacl, and gholdengo if not packing knock off. Gets revenge killed by rillaboom and ogerpon unlesss fully set up, etc

It gained Knock Off in the DLC, so a theoretical rapid spin set with Knock off might be viable, depending on how much does it do to gholdengo, and its a decent check to kingambit, so I guess you can give it a try

¿Any of you have recommendations on teammates for Ceruledge? I'm thinking about making a HO Team with him but I don't have much ideas right now

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
¿Any of you have recommendations on teammates for Ceruledge? I'm thinking about making a HO Team with him but I don't have much ideas right now
I would say if it’s the focus sash set, something like Hatterene / Cinderace would be a good choice to prevent entry hazard from being on your side of the field, so you’re able to use your sash.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)