Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Np hydreigon is excellent but spe def clef I dont like it, garchomp, ace, lando are very good mon that hit clef too hard if lacking phys def, but Finch what kind of set you run with spe def, I mean it still loses to mag, heatran and Kyurem is good but no pokemon Home level
With Dragapult skyrocketing in popularity and people using the aforementioned Hydreigon as their primary Ghost resist still, SDef Clefable is crucial towards checking it. It also helps minimize non-Taunt Heatran, opposing Hydreigon — which rarely run Flash Cannon, Kyurem, Zapdos, and even pivot Tornadus-Therian.

Clefable isn’t a reliable answer to Cinderace or offensive Ground types regardless. The main reason to run PDef is for things like soft checking Zeraora, handling bulky Grounds — which is not a hard task to achieve, and checking Hawlucha.

Overall, it depends on the team as to which set you use, but SDef Clefable is very viable right now. It can use the same mixture of moves as other sets as well.

With Dragapult skyrocketing in popularity and people using the aforementioned Hydreigon as their primary Ghost resist still, SDef Clefable is crucial towards checking it. It also helps minimize non-Taunt Heatran, opposing Hydreigon — which rarely run Flash Cannon, Kyurem, Zapdos, and even pivot Tornadus-Therian.

Clefable isn’t a reliable answer to Cinderace or offensive Ground types regardless. The main reason to run PDef is for things like soft checking Zeraora, handling bulky Grounds — which is not a hard task to achieve, and checking Hawlucha.

Overall, it depends on the team as to which set you use, but SDef Clefable is very viable right now. It can use the same mixture of moves as other sets as well.
W8 people still use bulky hydreigon over nasty plot?! My God r they living under a rock

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
W8 people still use bulky hydreigon over nasty plot?! My God r they living under a rock
Nah it’s less common now, but NP doesn’t fit Flash Cannon often. They prefer other coverage like Flamethrower or even Earth Power on top of STABs. Clefable is no longer seen as a staple and covering it over things like Magearna or Ferrothorn with Hydreigon is seen as a large price to pay that not everyone is willing to settle for.

Nah it’s less common now, but NP doesn’t fit Flash Cannon often. They prefer other coverage like Flamethrower or even Earth Power on top of STABs. Clefable is no longer seen as a staple and covering it over things like Magearna or Ferrothorn with Hydreigon is seen as a large price to pay that not everyone is willing to settle for.
Your prority should be e power when using dreigon then run whatever you want

Ahh ty :psyglad: . Btw i myself prefer roost and e power over flash cannon myself as the only mon other than clef u wanna hit through f cannon is lele which already takes huge dmg from dark pulse or earth powr

Hydreigon has a nasty 4 syndrom
I agree but draco roost and earth power is what i personally find enough coverage for hydreigon as other threats for it can be handled by other pokemon of ur team anyway.

Btw let's not take this discussion further otherwise it would be Ou metagame discussion thread all over again

Hi - new to the forums and learning about competitive play. May I ask, on the tier lists under the heading “other Pokémon with strategies,” does that mean that those moms have strats written for that tier — not that they are currently *in* that tier? That is, should I only be drawing from those listed under “Pokémon” on the tier page?

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Hi - new to the forums and learning about competitive play. May I ask, on the tier lists under the heading “other Pokémon with strategies,” does that mean that those moms have strats written for that tier — not that they are currently *in* that tier?
Indeed.
That is, should I only be drawing from those listed under “Pokémon” on the tier page?
Not necessarily, the fact that the other Pokemon with strategies have strategies for the tier in the first place means that they are viable to a degree, just not used enough to be part of the tier list itself.

Hi - new to the forums and learning about competitive play. May I ask, on the tier lists under the heading “other Pokémon with strategies,” does that mean that those moms have strats written for that tier — not that they are currently *in* that tier? That is, should I only be drawing from those listed under “Pokémon” on the tier page?
That are strategies for a pokemon below OU for them to work in OU. For example, Tangrowth is UU, but it has an OU set as a PhysDef pivot. You will find many mons from lower tiers that has a niche in OU, and those sets are thought to work in this tier.

Hope this helps :D

ok cool, thanks to you both! Just wanted to be sure I wasn’t using mons from a higher tier if they happened to be listed with strategies.

ok cool, thanks to you both! Just wanted to be sure I wasn’t using mons from a higher tier if they happened to be listed with strategies.
there actually are some mons listed in the other pokemons with strategies list that are currently in ubers(I saw spectrier and urshifu-ss) , but pokemon showdown won't let you play a OU game with a team containing one of them, so don't worry

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
does spdef heatran still need 128 speed? what benchmarks does it hit?
You can go all the way down to 0 if you want IMO, but 128 Spe puts it above Adamant Aegislash, Adamant Tyranitar, and Modest Magnezone, the third of which is sorta important if Heatran has been weakened. I personally also think that 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe Timid is an underrated option if having obscene special bulk isn't a massive issue because it lets you challenge Adamant Rillaboom, among other things.

Katy

Banned deucer.
What happened to celesteela? It had quite decent useage in ou last gen, than randomly dropped for no apparent reason.
Celesteela has to compete with other Steel- and Flying-types such as Corviknight, Skarmory, and Heatran and all of them offer a bigger role than Celesteela and the foremer 2 have recovery in forme of Roost where the latter has a more threatening Dual-typing and can set Stealth Rocks. The issue for Celesteela is not only that it has to compete with them, but also the metagame itself with Cinderace, Zeraora, and other Pokemon such as Tapu Koko it doesn't fare that well in OU currently. While Celesteela can still be used on some team archetypes but when people look out for great Steel- or Flying-types they usually end up with Corviknight on their team, as it can Defog additionally. I hope that helped :)

Celesteela has to compete with other Steel- and Flying-types such as Corviknight, Skarmory, and Heatran and all of them offer a bigger role than Celesteela and the foremer 2 have recovery in forme of Roost where the latter has a more threatening Dual-typing and can set Stealth Rocks. The issue for Celesteela is not only that it has to compete with them, but also the metagame itself with Cinderace, Zeraora, and other Pokemon such as Tapu Koko it doesn't fare that well in OU currently. While Celesteela can still be used on some team archetypes but when people look out for great Steel- or Flying-types they usually end up with Corviknight on their team, as it can Defog additionally. I hope that helped :)
Thanks! But i do have one question. Ferrothorn also doesnt have reliable recovery, and is siliar to celesteela. While Ferrothorn can setup hazards, cant celesteela be harder to break more and more after leech seed stalling mons? Or does it not get a boost from that/it still doesnt helped?
Also why was it so good last generation as it still had to deal with a stronger Koko, z move nukes, a more popular magnezone, and hidden power coverage?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)