Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

What are some good ways to scout what moves shift gear Magearna carries? This pokemon is literally driving me insane as I have to use a specific team just to beat it and galarian Slowking nor Heatran are good answers if Mag carries weakness policy and brute forces its way past them with stored power. So, are there any ways to scout what moves this specific set carries?
Weakness policy set carries draining and stored power. Maybe non Weakness policy (non screen sets) carry usually auraspehre to actually hit tran and ferro despiste not having many boost

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Weakness policy set carries draining and stored power. Maybe non Weakness policy (non screen sets) carry usually auraspehre to actually hit tran and ferro despiste not having many boost
Not always. Magearna has a ton of options for its attacking moves. I even ran even into one that had ice beam and thunderbolt, which screwed up my bulky waters and my ground types can't even deal with it

Not always. Magearna has a ton of options for its attacking moves. I even ran even into one that had ice beam and thunderbolt, which screwed up my bulky waters and my ground types can't even deal with it
haze pex can be ok, the strongest it can hit you after one boost is:
+1 252 SpA Magearna Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Toxapex: 218-258 (71.7 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
you can haze then just regen off the damage, and if it runs the standard kiss+power you just wall it, maybe knock it's policy, if you want to go for more special defense you can, but haze spdef pex is pretty much only good for set up magearnas and volcarona

Last edited:

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
What are some good ways to scout what moves shift gear Magearna carries? This pokemon is literally driving me insane as I have to use a specific team just to beat it and galarian Slowking nor Heatran are good answers if Mag carries weakness policy and brute forces its way past them with stored power. So, are there any ways to scout what moves this specific set carries?
As already said by glava222, Haze Toxapex is probably your best bet.

Although it doesn't comfortably soak a Choice Specs Volt Switch, it still can, and due to Regenerator letting you stay healthy and not require recovery turns, your Toxapex isn't put in the backfoot. The most dangerous thing for Toxapex to take on is SG + 3 attacks, but even without special investment, Thunderbolt/Electro Ball is not a KO, and you can get back into a workable range of HP with Regenerator after the fact. Toxapex's natural resistances to Fleur Cannon and Flash Cannon/Fighting-type coverage alongside being able to stall out dual dance Magearna generally lets it scout Magearna with relative ease, so long as you aren't too reckless with your Toxapex prior.

Ima play the devils advocate here and say that tbolt might be worth looking into currently. The reason for this is that a lot of teams currently are structured so that their best switch in into lele is a corviknight with some special defense investment, and that is absolutely savaged by specs tbolt. psychic might be better in general, but in this meta tbolt should be considered

I know that Specs Mag runs HP now, but how much? Is there any notable speed tier worth creeping for? Is 252 Speed still decent? Thanks in advance
you can run 180 speed EVs to be faster than Mandibuzz, adamant Crawdaunt, and Aegislash, and invest 76 EV's into HP. If you aren't concerned with that, you could even run as little as 20 speed, which at least makes you faster than standard Corviknights, but it might be worth adding just a few more to get the creep on some slightly faster Corvs.

a couple of questions:
- i'm seeing a lot of sets that choose to put the remaining 4 evs in def or spdef. why in one of those stats and not HP? i thought buffing HP indirectly buffs both defenses. does it have something to do with odd vs even hp? (if so, what exactly does that mean)
- in doubles, is it more acceptable to sacrifice coverage for useful supporting moves like taunt/tailwind? normally i like to maximize coverage but is it possible that you can afford to sacrifice coverage in doubles with the assumption that your partner will be able to make up for your lacking coverage? also, if that's the case, should i mix attacking and support moves on one pokemon, or am i better off using exclusively support moves?

Katy

Banned deucer.
- i'm seeing a lot of sets that choose to put the remaining 4 evs in def or spdef. why in one of those stats and not HP? i thought buffing HP indirectly buffs both defenses. does it have something to do with odd vs even hp? (if so, what exactly does that mean)
It doesnt really matter, but most people like to buff the slightly stronger defense, as example when Pokemon A has 90 Defense and 70 Special Defense people like to put the 4 remaining EVs into the stronger Stat here the Defense. Sure 4 in Hp would give the Pokemon some slight Bulk too, but isnt necessary at all and doesn't do make a big difference at the end of the day.

- in doubles, is it more acceptable to sacrifice coverage for useful supporting moves like taunt/tailwind? normally i like to maximize coverage but is it possible that you can afford to sacrifice coverage in doubles with the assumption that your partner will be able to make up for your lacking coverage? also, if that's the case, should i mix attacking and support moves on one pokemon, or am i better off using exclusively support moves?
That Question I sadly cannot answer but I think in the Doubles OU or VGC part you will have more success with an answer to your question.

Hope that helped :)

a couple of questions:
1.- It has to do something with odd vs even HP numbers. In singles, usually you want odd numbers because of how Stealth Rock damage works, especially on mons who are 2x or 4x weak to Rock, and the fact that Pokemon mechanics truncate numbers. For example, a mon with 400 HP 2x weak to rocks would take 100 HP (25% HP) damage from rocks, meaning it can switch in 3 times with rocks up, and in the 4th switch in, the mon will faint. However, the same mon with 401 HP would take 100.25 HP damage, but with the truncate, it will take 100 HP damage; and it will remain at 1 HP after 4 switchs-in, and that will allow the mon to switch in a 5th time into the field.
There are other things to watch out, for example in regenerator pokemon, where you may want to have a HP number which is divisible by 3 to maximize regen heal.

2.- You could ask that in doubles forums, but as far as my experience in doubles goes on, you need coverage on damage dealers and at least one damaging move on support pokemon just to not be Taunt bait.

Hope this helps ^^

Last edited:
This may not be the right place to ask something like this so I'm sorry if that is the case, but is there a teambuilding lab of some sort for old gens OU? I'm trying to get into BW OU but I need help with teambuilding.

Hey,
Does dual suspect make sense ? Is it possible ?
(two suspect at the same time, not one suspect for two)

Since dlc2 was realised, it take so long to make all the necessary suspect happens.
Pokemons are hipe, like all others competitive games, hipe is an important thing to enternaining : that's the motivation for people to progress and enjoy the game together. Told me pokemons are strategic-only : why do you suffer from rng so ? You're playing strategy pokemon because they're colored, imaginative, originals : hipe. If not I guess u better have playing chess ?

I'm so happy we're not playing VGC ! Perhaps the time it take to rule the meta is killing the hipe, new players don't enjoy a long time playing with ubers stupid stuff, some youtubers and streamers are bored too (theres mostly are the guys how make new players come on showdown, how explain strategy and share this hipe, some of thems earn money thanks to playing showdown, they're dependant of u).
I see it on stream one month after dlc2 realise : between 1000 to 8000 viewers for strategy pokemon showdown, actually, same guy same plateform : 500 viewers in good days (750 to 1500 for pokemon that isn't showdown : shiny hunting, card opening, solo 6v6 oficial).

I understand you guys want to make suspect "professionnaly", but it don't take in consideration the interest that players have to the game : less players = less competitive level.
Big deal with dinamax-ban ; then ubers unban .........
I'm pretty sure u doing it well regarding of strategy, but I feel like it's a terrible mistake for community gestion.

Only my feeling and opinion,
Also I love showdown and u staff that make it alive.
Thx for reading

Hey, just looking to be led in the right direction, but I’ve really only played singles ranked since I’ve tried online battling all the basically the past 10 years on and off haha so I want to try doubles, what threads or where should I go to approach team building? I’ve tried a couple rental teams so far but it’s so foreign to me haha so just looking for a nudge in the right direction for some required reading. Thanks!

Goodbye & Thanks

Thrown in a fire?
What set does specially defensive Gastrodon typically run? I was considering something like this:

Gastrodon-East @ Leftovers
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Toxic

I'm not sure about a few things:
1. Is Sticky Hold better than Storm Drain in this meta for a specially defensive Gastrodon?
2. Is there merit to Earth Power over Earthquake, especially if you're Sticky Hold and open yourself up to the possibility of Scald burns?
3. Is there much of a reason to run Clear Smog over Toxic right now?
4. This is minor, but if you're running Leftovers, is it better to have 248 or 252 HP EVs? I've never fully understood that nuance.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
What set does specially defensive Gastrodon typically run? I was considering something like this:

Gastrodon-East @ Leftovers
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Toxic

I'm not sure about a few things:
1. Is Sticky Hold better than Storm Drain in this meta for a specially defensive Gastrodon?
2. Is there merit to Earth Power over Earthquake, especially if you're Sticky Hold and open yourself up to the possibility of Scald burns?
3. Is there much of a reason to run Clear Smog over Toxic right now?
4. This is minor, but if you're running Leftovers, is it better to have 248 or 252 HP EVs? I've never fully understood that nuance.
Storm Drain and this should be fine.

I've been wondering this for awhile, but what makes corviknight the preferred option to skarmory?
its spe def, u turn and pressure. But I like more skarm as a mon and it has some few advantages ove corv. First it access to rocks and spikes, a stronger body press, counter sometimes sturdy and its access to toxic

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)