Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

What happened to the choice specs tapu koko set? It used to be pretty common, but now no one uses it at all. What meta change did I miss that made the set unviable/not worth running?

What happened to the choice specs tapu koko set? It used to be pretty common, but now no one uses it at all. What meta change did I miss that made the set unviable/not worth running?
it fell off during zygarde metagame when tangrowth was everywhere, because tangrowth, unlike most grass-types, doesn't even mind volt switch due to regenerator (same is true for amoonguss), but now that zygarde is gone, grass-types are being used a lot less and choice specs tapu koko is a great set once again! arguably the better set, i feel.

it fell off during zygarde metagame when tangrowth was everywhere, because tangrowth, unlike most grass-types, doesn't even mind volt switch due to regenerator (same is true for amoonguss), but now that zygarde is gone, grass-types are being used a lot less and choice specs tapu koko is a great set once again! arguably the better set, i feel.
That makes sense. I liked running specs koko couple months ago, but when I came back to showdown I thought it fell out of flavor. Good to know it’s still a thing. Thanks!

is there any reason to use body slam > secret power on jirachi especially since they have the same side effects and secret power doesn't make contact? seems like most of body slam's targets (eg. lando, torn, tran) aren't going to care about an extra 15 base damage.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
is there any reason to use body slam > secret power on jirachi especially since they have the same side effects and secret power doesn't make contact? seems like most of body slam's targets (eg. lando, torn, tran) aren't going to care about an extra 15 base damage.
A 15 BP difference is pretty significant, that's a 21% increase from 70. Secret Power also isn't as useful if Misty or Psychic Terrain are up.

What is a good team style for a person learning that has little experience in actually playing competitive (but quite some time watching videos/streams). I heard Hyper Offense is good, any merit to this?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
How do you consistently beat a Specs Lele/ Z Magnezone core?
To add on to what Lyd said, offensively things like Scarf Landorus-T or Excadrill in Sand can prove to be quite troublesome to this duo. In addition, Protean Greninja can potentially come in on a Psychic attack and threaten to kill both depending upon the set. Finally, on Stall, SDef Mew does the trick nicely if you avoid consecutive max dmg from Moonblasts.

Cool, thanks for answering my questions. Trying to build a Lele team. One more question
Is there a reason why Nature Power isn't used on the Specs Lele and Koko sets? I ask because these two run secondary moves with the same typing (Psyshock and Volt Switch) and although they're used in different situations, they still basically provide the same type coverage if it comes down to a situation where nature power is less favorable (battling against other terrain users or running low on turns for your own terrain)

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Cool, thanks for answering my questions. Trying to build a Lele team. One more question
Is there a reason why Nature Power isn't used on the Specs Lele and Koko sets? I ask because these two run secondary moves with the same typing (Psyshock and Volt Switch) and although they're used in different situations, they still basically provide the same type coverage if it comes down to a situation where nature power is less favorable (battling against other terrain users or running low on turns for your own terrain)
One of the biggest reasons is because the other moves that Lele and Koko use have either utility or a secondary method of bypassing Specially Defensive Pokemon. As moves they're valuable in a lot more situations under most circumstances.

Nature Power for example isn't really helping against Tapu Bulu that much other than the terrain is giving a psuedo-STAB of the move that it becomes, and in the cases of Lele it's more often than not a worse option to select than Psychic STABs or Moonblast.

Another reason is that under their normal terrain the moves are the exact same as they would normally run (Thunderbolt and Psychic).

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Why is Reinuclus A-?
Because it's a reliable setup sweeper thanks to Magic Guard, Recover and its solid bulk. Capable of boosting boths its defenses as well as its SpA thanks to Calm Mind and Acid Armor means it can quickly become a huge threat to unprepared teams. STAB Psyshock means it can beat other Calm Mind users. It also checks mons like Mega Medicham and Tapu Lele which are quite potent right now.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Because it's a reliable setup sweeper thanks to Magic Guard, Recover and its solid bulk. Capable of boosting boths its defenses as well as its SpA thanks to Calm Mind and Acid Armor means it can quickly become a huge threat to unprepared teams. STAB Psyshock means it can beat other Calm Mind users. It also checks mons like Mega Medicham and Tapu Lele which are quite potent right now.
It does not check Tapu Lele, for what it's worth, but the rest of this is accurate (although 2A and Acid Armor are both quite nice, not just AA).

It does not check Tapu Lele, for what it's worth, but the rest of this is accurate (although 2A and Acid Armor are both quite nice, not just AA).
If you EV it properly (I forget my exact spread), it can beat every Lele except Calm Mind, and can even beat Calm Mind with perfect play. I used it as my Lele check on steelix stall team. (The RMT spread is out of date.) Down side of course is that it is less reliable against physical attackers.

MANNAT

https://spo.ink/aq7
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If you EV it properly (I forget my exact spread), it can beat every Lele except Calm Mind, and can even beat Calm Mind with perfect play. I used it as my Lele check on steelix stall team. (The RMT spread is out of date.) Down side of course is that it is less reliable against physical attackers.
The issue with EVing Reuniclus to check Tapu Lele is that it no longer checks Mega Medicham or the slew of physical threats that it’s adept at checking, significantly reducing its viability outside the Tapu Lele matchup. In this case, it’s better to specialize the individual Pokemon’s potential rather than trying to stretch it too thin to check everything.

Katy

Banned deucer.
Why isn't Celebi ranked anymore in OU?
Hello,

with so many grass types around like Serperior, Tapu Bulu, Tangrowth and Ferrothorn, which offer more utility and also offensive / defensive presence
and also better psychic types in the tier such as Tapu lele and Reuniclus which offer also more such as better typing, better movepool and better abilities Celebi lost all its niches in Gen 7 OverUsed.
Serperior is faster and has the options in Defog and Glare (Glare even is able to paralysis ground types), Tapu Blu has a better defensive typing meanwhile staying offensive with boosting moves like Bulk Up and Swords Dance, having grassy terrain as instant-recovery-option and doesnt lose to specs ash grens dark pulse, Tangrowth still is good at Stall and Bulky Offense, checking a plethora of water types effectively and Ferrothorns usage rise went up after Zygarde ban, all these grass types offer more than Celebi.
Reuniclus has an effective Double Dance set, which is not easy to break after a few turns of setup, meanwhile Tapu lele has a better typing and movepool overall, also the set versatility around lele is better than celebis.
Celebi (sadly) doesn't find itself in a niche, cause everyone of the mentioned pkmn outclass it in a specific way and offer more for the teamslot.

Are hyper-offense trick room teams like this one still viable in OU? I've been using them regularly, with middling amounts of success. If they ARE viable, what modifications should be made to the linked team to make it better in today's meta?

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Are hyper-offense trick room teams like this one still viable in OU? I've been using them regularly, with middling amounts of success. If they ARE viable, what modifications should be made to the linked team to make it better in today's meta?
I would not call them completely unviable, but they're more fringe viable than anything else given how inherently inconsistent they are.

i'd argue trick room is pretty bad of a playstyle mostly due to the limited turns and the prevalence of regenerator and protect in the current metagame (moreso the former than the latter) making it a breeze for balance to take it on. the lack of speed (when trick room is inactive) and bulk, when combined, make it very easy for certain pokémon to sweep a trick room team after it's worn down a bit, notable examples include ash-greninja and ground-types. like sure, it can be a bit of a threat to a handful of offenses, but i'd argue it's very far from a consistent playstyle.

also, dont snipe me finch

I’ve noticed that Rocky Helmet Tornadus-T have been EVs to take Mega Medicham’s Ice Punch at full health. I’ve been trying to make an EV spread that allows me do just that while also being able to survive Protean Greninja’s Ice Beam at full health and maintaining max speed, however I can’t seem to get it right. Basically, I’m asking if such an EV spread exists, and if not, an optimal EV spread that allows Tornadus-T to tank Mega Medicham’s Ice Punch and Protean Greninja’s Ice Beam at full health.

View attachment 167683View attachment 167684
I’ve noticed that Rocky Helmet Tornadus-T have been EVs to take Mega Medicham’s Ice Punch at full health. I’ve been trying to make an EV spread that allows me do just that while also being able to survive Protean Greninja’s Ice Beam at full health and maintaining max speed, however I can’t seem to get it right. Basically, I’m asking if such an EV spread exists, and if not, an optimal EV spread that allows Tornadus-T to tank Mega Medicham’s Ice Punch and Protean Greninja’s Ice Beam at full health.
best option i could get is 104 HP / 152 Def / 252 Spe+ but it has a 1/16 chance to get OHKO'd by Mega Medicham, because it's impossible to avoid the 2HKO from both without missing out on max speed. There is another option you could try however, if you really want guarantees:

You can go with enough speed for Choice Scarf Tyranitar so you run 208 HP / 84 Def / 216 Spe+, gets the guarantees on both. But obviously missing the speed tie on other Tornadus-T is pretty bad.

I'd probably go with option one though, only the highest role of Mega Medicham can OHKO, but I guess if you have some really sturdy checks to other Tornadus-T's then you can probably go with option two.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)