Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
When is the VR coming out, I've been cooking my nom for crustle and its time to whip it out
Normally I ignore these questions, but I specifically said it would go up by Monday and it didn't, so this is valid a bit. It will be going up tonight. Something occupied me yesterday and I am sorry for the delay, expect it up by midnight EST as I will start working on it now!

When is the VR coming out, I've been cooking my nom for crustle and its time to whip it out
C+?

Also, do you see any merit in its suicide lead sets? I know you made the Shell Smash+WA set work, but how about Sturdy and SR+Spikes+Shell Smash+Edge? Does that have any real use a-la Cloyster in Ubers minus the Rapid Spin and the broken STAB?

Thunder Pwoell

Banned deucer.
C+?

Also, do you see any merit in its suicide lead sets? I know you made the Shell Smash+WA set work, but how about Sturdy and SR+Spikes+Shell Smash+Edge? Does that have any real use a-la Cloyster in Ubers minus the Rapid Spin and the broken STAB?
I think I can argue B- tbh, and i mean tbh no way in hell its living long enough to do that lol like maybe eq over spikes

So I've been playing around with this in the 1400-1600 range (and hell, even low ladder but they fall for every gimmick) and it's seen a very, very surprising amount of success for what it's worth, even beating a few high-ladder players occasionally:

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Mean Look
- Calm Mind
- Dark Pulse/Shadow Ball
- Recover

I'm absolutely certain someone has to have tried this out before, but here's a pretty basic breakdown of what it does:
  • The IVs maximize its physical bulk, which helps considerably since it's gonna be surviving a ton with just a single boost anyway.
  • Mean Look is the key to this set's success: more standard Mega Sableye sets tend to bait in an array of things that they cannot dent, but they're almost consistently setup fodder for this variant.
  • Recover is mandatory. This is non-negotiable. If you're using this mon you're using Recover.
  • Mega Sableye can only fit a single actual attack into its moveset, and the decision can be extremely difficult at times: Dark Pulse gives you a far inferior matchup against Hawlucha and Fairy-types but also boasts no immunities, while Shadow Ball's tradeoff is significantly better coverage at the cost of being hopelessly walled by any and all Normal types.
The premise is simple: Mega Sableye baits something it walls that would typically wall a different Mega Sableye set, it sets up the Mean Look on the predicted switch, and unless your opponent is packing some ludicrous Fairy damage under his or her belt or your opponent gets incredible RNG with crits or hax, Mega Sableye has an extremely high chance of just winning the game outright.

I've used this on two teams, and the first was a meme Stall team that basically gives all the Stall stuff incredibly offensive sets like CB Avalugg, Curse Quag, Counter Chansey, and SD+Weak Armor+Flyinium Z Skarmory. A lot of people ended up falling for the Mean Look stuff for some reason so I figured I'd try testing the waters by using this on a more dedicated Stall team when paired with Bulky Volcarona, and the stuff this ends up potentially walling after a boost (unless hax or crits) is insane.

Does anyone else see any potential in this set? I know it's extremely unorthodox but I feel like a far superior player to me could make some downright fantastic use of something like this either on the ladder or even in a tournament setting.
So uhh... is this still viable?

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
So uhh... is this still viable?
Mean Look M-Sableye has been used before, however with Spite instead of CM (the idea was to trap and PP stall things such as Toxapex and Heatran). Here is the post to find the stall team which used it (6th team).

As for your set, I believe it has potential. The idea of trapping + setting up has been used on a few pokemon recently, such as Block + CM Slowbro/M-Slowbro in NU and UU. Although, lack of Protect + Will-O-Wisp means M-Sableye might find it a bit harder to perform a role of a magic bouncer, and having only one coverage move can be hindering (For example if your opponent has something like an SD Tapu Bulu or a Tyranitar, +6 Dark Pulse won't 2HKO and you'll lose 1v1).

I wanted to ask how viable Mega-Gyarados is in current metagame, it is my favorite pokemon so i was wondering if making a team with him would be good.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
I wanted to ask how viable Mega-Gyarados is in current metagame, it is my favorite pokemon so i was wondering if making a team with him would be good.
You can check the viability ranking for OU mons here. Mega Gyarados recently dropped to B, and it's certainly viable. If you would like to see a team with Mega Gyarados, you can check the Sample Team thread, and if you want to learn more about it and/or its set, you can read the analysis.

Hope this helps. Have a good day!

So, I've read that there are some recent discoveries about the move Glare, but I didn't find any info about it. What kind of discoveries are those?

So, I've read that there are some recent discoveries about the move Glare, but I didn't find any info about it. What kind of discoveries are those?
Idk if this is exactly the answer to your question that you're asking, but I'm assuming you're asking about what's changed with it in competitive play, mainly OU.

Glare spam is an archetype that runs Zygarde and Serperior, with a bunch of Pokemon that usually tend to struggle a bit because of their Speed tier and have good defensive utility, like Mega Heracross for example.

Common defensive cores for sand balance featuring m-ttar and steelium exca?
And also, what kind of stall breaker run those teams? I cant find a good answer for stall teams

What made Alolan Marowak fall from OU to RU? I get it's frickin slow, but I don't think it merits B- in RU.

I really like Alolan Marowak and it makes me kind of sad to see it fall from grace.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What made Alolan Marowak fall from OU to RU? I get it's frickin slow, but I don't think it merits B- in RU.

I really like Alolan Marowak and it makes me kind of sad to see it fall from grace.
Pretty much answered your own question.

It's too slow.

It doesn't help that Alolan Marowak doesn't have the greatest of resistances and immunities. They're okay, but inferior to breakers like Mega Mawile that has a fantastic typing and can also utilize Intimidate to improve its bulk or Hyper Cutter to retain its power. With Tapu Koko taking more utility sets than offensive sets the demand for something like a Koko check isn't as demanding as it once was (which is also why Gastrodon has decreased in usage, but could also be used more since Shift Gear and Calm Mind Magearnas are creeping up).

The problem is Trick Room isn't that much of a popular playstyle, and Marowak-A just wasn't used much outside of Trick Room. There are also other physical abusers of Trick Room that didn't rely heavily on the held item like Crawdaunt or Mega Mawile. Even though Alolawak's main niche is to wall Tapu Koko, it has no other real uses outside of that and is just dead weight, since its speed tier isn't that good and has no form of recovery and is weak to all forms of hazards. There are simply much better Koko checks like Tang or Ferro, which is also able to check other Pokemon like Zyg or Ash-G alongside Koko. You also have to count on usage, since tiers are usage-based and if Alolawak sees low usage (3.41% in 1695 ladder). I think Trick Room is like non-existent in UU but don't quote me on that since I don't play it much.

Edit: Colonel M sniped me :(

Well a big reason it was OU to begin with was because of phermosa. So once Phero was gone from OU, marowak lost a lot of its viability and fell. In UU, its a fire type that doesnt check scizor. Then in a pursuit heavy meta, it fell from UU to RU. Also, SR weakness doesnt help. Cant speak for RU, but in UU and OU it is only viable under TR. (Also it is a pain, but ask UU why it dropped there and OU why it dropped there)

Pretty much answered your own question.

It's too slow.

It doesn't help that Alolan Marowak doesn't have the greatest of resistances and immunities. They're okay, but inferior to breakers like Mega Mawile that has a fantastic typing and can also utilize Intimidate to improve its bulk or Hyper Cutter to retain its power. With Tapu Koko taking more utility sets than offensive sets the demand for something like a Koko check isn't as demanding as it once was (which is also why Gastrodon has decreased in usage, but could also be used more since Shift Gear and Calm Mind Magearnas are creeping up).
The problem is Trick Room isn't that much of a popular playstyle, and Marowak-A just wasn't used much outside of Trick Room. There are also other physical abusers of Trick Room that didn't rely heavily on the held item like Crawdaunt or Mega Mawile. Even though Alolawak's main niche is to wall Tapu Koko, it has no other real uses outside of that and is just dead weight, since its speed tier isn't that good and has no form of recovery and is weak to all forms of hazards. There are simply much better Koko checks like Tang or Ferro, which is also able to check other Pokemon like Zyg or Ash-G alongside Koko. You also have to count on usage, since tiers are usage-based and if Alolawak sees low usage (3.41% in 1695 ladder). I think Trick Room is like non-existent in UU but don't quote me on that since I don't play it much.

Edit: Colonel M sniped me :(
Well a big reason it was OU to begin with was because of phermosa. So once Phero was gone from OU, marowak lost a lot of its viability and fell. In UU, its a fire type that doesnt check scizor. Then in a pursuit heavy meta, it fell from UU to RU. Also, SR weakness doesnt help. Cant speak for RU, but in UU and OU it is only viable under TR. (Also it is a pain, but ask UU why it dropped there and OU why it dropped there)
Man, I feel really bad for the poor guy. If only he was a bit faster..

All the stupid shit it ended up inadvertently countering by virtue of its amazing bulk and typing ended up either getting banned or becoming completely irrelevant and Alolan Marowak ended up just fading away into obscurity since its once-good typing became a liability instead of a boon.

All the stupid shit it ended up inadvertently countering by virtue of its amazing bulk and typing ended up either getting banned or becoming completely irrelevant and Alolan Marowak ended up just fading away into obscurity since its once-good typing became a liability instead of a boon.
Yeah. Pheromosa leaving the tier, Tapu Koko using more support sets, Trick Room archetypes dying out which lead to Stakataka being unranked. These are some examples

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
To be fair Lightning Rod Wak wasn't really used much after the beginning of SM once people started to actually learn how to build and depend less on a SR weak Pokemon with no recovery to check Koko which almost always ran U-turn at the time. Even when Mosa was in the tier, people were usually using just the standard Rock Head set as a breaker or offensive rocker that could also soft check the most dangerous Pokemon in the tier. After Mosa left, it was relegated to pure Trick Room teams usually, and as mentioned above, TR has died out quite a bit and those who choose to still use it will sometimes still forgo Marowak.

Last edited:
not entirely sure if this is the right place to ask this, so lmk if it's not. Anyways, what are some notable teams that include kyurem? I'm interested in giving it a try!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)