Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
is a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Roost is the standard to set up on many threats, most notably defensive Landorus-Therian and Celesteela. I have not seen Drain Punch Lucha in a very long time ngl.
I've seen Drain Punch on it a fair amount, so as it's not as common as HJK, it's certainly not something to completely disregard either.

It can't really do anything else aside that, It has bad Sp. Atk, Bad bulk and a decent speed tier, I think Tapu koko just outclasses it evven as a check to hawlucha
+2 252+ Atk Hawlucha High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raichu-Alola: 318-375 (121.8 - 143.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Hawlucha High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 210-248 (74.7 - 88.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
I know it outspeeds hawlucha in e-terrein but koko can Switch in it not get 2HKOed and force it out, it also has a form of recovery in roost if that is not specs
It’s special attack is the same as Koko, but thanks for clearing it up.

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
is a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Drain Punch is used alongside HJK when it is, but realistically all Hawluchas outside of highly specialized teams should be Roost nowadays because turning Lando-T into setup fodder is fucking fantastic.
That is true lol. Setup fodder on the most common mon in the tier is a treat that should be taken advantage of

Are non-Grounded pokemon affected by Spikes if they swap in while Gravity is active, and does the damage from Stealth Rocks change?

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Is Gunk Shot Ash Greninja actually good or just a meme-y lure?
its not exactly a meme just a bad lure noone uses despite its main and pretty much only relevant target in av bulu being everywhere, you're better off with Spikes or even Ice Beam if luring Bulu is that big of a deal for your team

I want to run 4 attacks Scarf Kartana (I really like having Smart Strike rn), Defog Defensive Lando, Rocks Heatran. Is this setup viable? I haven't seen a ton of Defog Landorus outside of scarf.

I want to run 4 attacks Scarf Kartana (I really like having Smart Strike rn), Defog Defensive Lando, Rocks Heatran. Is this setup viable? I haven't seen a ton of Defog Landorus outside of scarf.
It’s not a bad setup. Defog defensive lando is underlooked but its pretty viable. As long as the rest of the team works to patch up weaknesses such as water, since kartana isn’t a switch in, it should be pretty solid.

MANNAT

https://spo.ink/aq7
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Generally, those three would probably be best with the configuration of Scarf Defog Lando, SD Z move Kartana, and Heatran. Ignore the above comment, defensive defog lando is really bad because it loses to like every rocker lmao.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Generally, those three would probably be best with the configuration of Scarf Defog Lando, SD Z move Kartana, and Heatran. Ignore the above comment, defensive defog lando is really bad because it loses to like every rocker lmao.
I disagree to an extent. Defog defensive LandoT isn’t ideal, but the set-up is fine, especially if you have an AV Bulu in the back as then Scarf Kartana can clean and Heatran has more longevity as the rocker. More often than not, you do want Scarf Defog LandoT here, but if you have Bulu and/or enough means to break bulky cores without needing SD Kartana, then you might as well at least consider this option. Fat LandorusT comes in on so many things that it can easily Defog and you are overstating the need for Defoggers to beat rockers themselves so much as get in safely in general.

Hi :D

I beat the elite 4 yesterday and looking to get into competitive battling.

I used to be pretty solid back in gen 4 during the gyaravire days and then again during soul silver. I had a bunch of teams for ou and uu.

The problem i have with this new metagame is i don't like any of the top tier poke.

Major bummer :C

Magearna the tapus and ESPECIALLY the ultra beasts just don't do it for me. I'm coming around to toxapex and landoT but the rest are a major turn off.

My question is.. Well several questions :D

Are the bulus prevalent only in poke showdown? Or will i be facing bulus and kartanas and magearnas in every single game on cartridge?

I'm major bummed to see old ou staples like empoleon and ambipom and my fav electivire not even rank uu anymore lol :C

At least weavile and tyranitar still kick butt. And my new fav poke charX >:D

So. Would i be able to make a competitive team around mega char x without tapus, toxa, and any of the ultra beasts? Obviously no mew etc since they are super hard to come by.

Also. How does competitive battling work online? You choose a battlle and it connects you? Are there tiers?

And if anyone has charx teams to link that would be cool. I can't find many so i dont have a great idea of who to team him with :C

And i really want to start planning my team.

Are the bulus prevalent only in poke showdown? Or will i be facing bulus and kartanas and magearnas in every single game on cartridge?

By this I'm assuming you mean tapus, and by extension magearna and kartana. All are used quite commonly in OU, as well as other formats which are foreign to usual smogon tiering, such as VGC, Battlespot and so on. Note that mythical pokemon such as magearna(though none of the tapus nor Ultra Beasts) are banned from VGC, and by extension Battle Spot. You can find the rules for VGC 2018 as well as the rules for Battle Spot here and here. I will also link the smogon usage stats, as well as the current thread for the usage based tier updates, as these are an index of usage for each tier/format you wish to seek, which will give you the ability to find how often a pokemon is usually used in a specific tier, as well as the movesets/ev spreads and teammates of these pokemon. Note that these usage stats are usually updated a few days after the start of each month, and reflects the last month's usage.

I personally can't speak from cartridge play but obviously since most of the UBs and all of the tapus are in general very good pokemon you're bound to see them quite often.

Would i be able to make a competitive team around mega char x without tapus, toxa, and any of the ultra beasts? Obviously no mew etc since they are super hard to come by.
Many huge staples in the current metagame are either legendaries, tapus, Ultra Beasts or toxapex as you mentioned, so more than likely you won't be able to create a good team. It is generally frowned upon by the community(or at least isn't supported) to restrict your teambuilding by barring yourself off the usage of legendaries, tapus etc. as again, most staples in the current metagame are one of the aforementioned legenadries/tapus/UBs. Your best bet is to try finding QR codes of teams which have Mega-Zard-X and use those teams if you plan to play on cartridge, or possibly gen these pokemon if you have the means to. If not, you can try the wifi room in the hopes of asking for some already bred pokemon, although they will not be able to assist you with genning pokemon, as PS! in general does not allow hacking discussion. You can always play on PS!, or rather play.pokemonshowdown.com, which is the main server in which people will find battles and ladder.

Also. How does competitive battling work online? You choose a battlle and it connects you? Are there tiers?
As already stated, play.pokemonshowdown.com is the main website in which users will find battles and/or chat in several chat rooms. Here is the link to The Beginner's Guide to Pokemon Showdown!, which should answer all your questions in regards to how online battling works.

To put simply, Smogon is a separate entity from the main pokemon company, meaning that the Pokemon Company does not directly abide by smogon's tiering system, and it has its own other formats such as VGC and Battle Spot. Smogon however has its own tiering system, which you are NOT forced to abide by, but generally is played by more users. You can check out the subforums for all of smogon's main metagames here, as well as the subforum for all of the cartridge formats here. Since this is the OU forum, I will link some of the main threads which will be able to give you a better understanding towards the tier.

OU Forums Rules
Sample Teams Thread
VR Thread as well as the Sets VR Thread
Speed Tiers
Cores Thread
Role Compedium
Underrated/Creative Sets
PDC gives good pokemon advice thread

There is also the tiering policy framework thread which goes into depth on tiering policy, as well as the tiering FAQ which goes in depth on how/why tiering works.

And if anyone has charx teams to link that would be cool. I can't find many so i dont have a great idea of who to team him with :C
You can check the Samples Teams thread linked above for future updates that could incorporate Zard-X teams, but as of right now, there aren't any in there. You can also check out the teambuiding workshop for OU here, where you can request for a team to be built around Zard-X, although the builders will not bar themselves off from using any UBs/Legends/Tapus. There is also a team with Zard-X which I will link here, which also incorporates Specs Tapu Koko and other pokemon. You can also check the official smogon analysis for Mega-Charizard-X here, which should detail what pokemon best pair with it, along with its checks and counters.

This should cover all of your questions, but feel free to ask more in this thread, on the official discord for OU, or even in the Overused Room on PS!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)