Gen 4 Scarf infernape original team

Hello, i'm a "new" player.
I never interacted too much with the community but i enjoy doing my games in DPP here and there (i almost only play this gen, with a few games of random battle)
So i just wanted to share this team with you. It's kinda my baby at this point (I always played this team since 2021, and i just changed item or attacks through the years)

:Azelf: :Infernape: :Celebi: :Swampert: :Magnezone: :Dragonite:

I never watched forums or tuto on how to build a team, so i'm pretty proud to have come this far.
Let me know what you think about it :D

It's pretty offensive i think, i setup rock with Azelf and then u-turn (rarely explose on 2nd turn, i keep it a threat for latter) and then i try to apply as much pressure as possible to force him to reveal most of his pokemon. My goal is to bring infernape freely as much as i can. I often try to pred my opponent actions, for better or worse. This team often finish with my infernape, and he either finish the game, or doesn't have a good matchup against the rest of the enemy team. I also have some surprise in my move set that works pretty well, in the ladder at least.

:Azelf:
Azelf @ Lum Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Explosion
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

My first pokemon is an Azelf suicide lead with taunt to prevent hasards ( which really hurt my team)
But I didn't have enough value with explosion + another attack so i gave it u-turn instead. It allows me to pivot and keep it alive. (I especialy like to do that against an aerodactyle taunt, into a scarf user to kill it.
Lum berry allow me to keep value with it after a u-turn on low hp, i can tank one statuts effect and threaten the pokemon with explosion. It also helps again some random para effects that prevent it from acting first.

:Infernape:
Infernape (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
Happiness: 0
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Thunder Punch

Infernape is my favorite pokemon and the reason i play DPP and not another gen. It's scarf to give value to my team wich lack a bit of speed. It allows to u-turn into latias or starmi, and a flare blits into gengar. Basicly it's my revenge killer and u-turn allow me to not be punish by it (i know it's probably common for scarf user but i'm proud to have find it on my own :D )
The thunder punch is to punish a +1 gyarados, which can come easily on my team.

:Celebi:
Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover

Offensive celebi is not common and it has a great surprise factor. Especialy with a hidden power fire that threaten the steal types (jirachi, magnezone, etc...) and most importantly Scizor.
with psycho, it's great against breloom, i can even rely on mind game with natural cure if he spores. And if he sleep someone else, i can come back on celeby and he can't do anything (no leach seed, no grass & fighting atk, etc...)
I can also roost on obvious switch out to make this pokemon a threat again.

:Swampert:
Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Substitute
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Swampert is a great tank for me, even with the offensive spread. Sub is great to not have to predict a switch in. And ice punch is a great coverage for my team overall. I don't have another ice move on the team. It allows me to put a beloom low hp if switching on a sub / with pred. Or damage a flygon wich does great against my team (especialy scarf ones), or other dragons.
I like the constitency of waterfall over aqua tail.

:Magnezone:
Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Thunder
- Magnet Rise
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I didn't see that kind of magnezone in the ladder, and i'm not really sure of it iv. But it's great to trap Skarmory and forteress and even jirachy !
I have Magnet rise in order to deal with bronzong (otherwhile i insta lose to it :/)
Flash cannon is great against latias or people not expecting a steal move on it.
And hidden power fire is great against some trapped pokemon.
I'm not sure about Thunder, it surprises, deal great damage but the lack of precisions is sometime annoying. would thunderbolt be better ? (i still need to kill Skarmory in one shot)

:Dragonite:
Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 124 Def / 204 SpD / 180 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed

And dragonite is my swipper if i can set it up. Of course it doesn't happen all game so i have a kit that allows him to still be usefull otherwile.
I set up the IV speed to be enought to go to 362 after one Dragon dance.
Extreme speed to finish target is also great.
I have a great move set otherwhile to cover for anything. I can't kill everything but with earthquake, i can setup on Heatran and kill it. (same for other still type)
I also have dragon claw because i don't like being lock with outrage, but i didn't see dragon claw on the ladder.
Leftover is for durability (i tried with life orb and roost but it doesn't cover as many situation as this one does)

Thank you for reading, you can try it yourself on the ladder :D
(i also take feedback / advice of course)
Reicers

Last edited:

Jeong

Banned deucer.
Hey,
It's funny that Infernape is your favorite, a mon that I've barely used in all this time (rofl). Well, joking aside... I like that set. I think this is the first time I've seen scarf. In addition to being original, it is well thought out, thus eliminating threats like Gyarados or Gengar.

Oh, and welcome to the DPP forum and community. Congratulations also on the ladder record.

I'm a little surprised to see a team with an offensive presence using EVs or defensive natures, like nite.

To be honest, I have few changes in mind to suggest, which in principle might help.

Well, the first one is TBolt > Thunder in Magnezone. I understand that you might be worried about Skarm, in case he is +SpD. Anyway, you don't have to worry about failing and having it do Whirl. And if he does, another teammate who comes in can finish him off.

By the way, does it rent you to wear it like this? I mean... full HP. I don't know what it can bring, but this way you're slower than things like gross, Machamp, crocune or even Scizor with its Superpower threat. Being the Magnet Rise version I would recommend the Smogon dex set. If it's not a problem, I'll leave it here:

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon

Or if you prefer, you can use it 220 in speed, 32 in HP and 4 in defense. This applies more to what I mentioned.

The second and last change is the nite itself. At first glance, I'm not saying I don't like it, but I think if you consider a small change that helps you get a better result, it's okay. By the way, with 180 speed at +1 you are 361, so there would be a speed tie with Starmie IBeam, for example. Especially for dragon spam, like DPulse or DM Latias, Outrage Flygon / nite. You only have one steel and it is not that it can enter very safely. So, without touching anything that works, my 'solution' is DD Adamant with Haban Berry + DClaw, although Outrage can be considered. I leave you here a set designed to fit several things:

Dragonite @ Haban Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 156 Atk / 52 Def / 108 SpD / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Extreme Speed

Again, I don't know if it's a solution or a problem, but I don't want to suggest a mons change, so this comes to mind. Well, you basically endure DM from Latias specs full HP, Outrage from scarf or CB Flygon, Outrage from another nite, DM specs Kingdra or IPunch rachi full HP. With 156 attack (377), you kill DClaw's Latias specs. 192 speed to beat DD ttar and with +1 you beat the scarf.

Thank you so much for your advices !

I like the changes that you made to Magnezone :Magnezone:. It's my switch against Latias, which is why i gave him HP to tank draco meteor, but i could give him more Spe def instead.
It's also a great jirachi :jirachi: trapper. If they don't have fire punch / u-turn, i kill them 100% of the time while getting out of there full hp. If they have, it's still a 50/50 and it gets out of there barely alive.
And i had a great matchup against orther Magnezone :Magnezone:

And as for the dragonite, a DDance put me to 362 with my current set (at least it's what's showed on showdown)
It's bulky to let it switch in and set up easily but i might try another EV set up with your recommended attack ;)
I'm just not sure if i like this berry of i prefer leftover, i'll see

Thank you again for your advices
:D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)