VGC RMT: Where the Sun don't Shine

Overall, Good or Bad?

• It's great!

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • lel no m80 u suk

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Not bad, not awful. (please comment for this option!)

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
Hi Smogon!
So, this is one of my first posts, outside of maybe the introduction and I think one more, but I'm in a bit of a bind here.
I mean, my team doesn't feel all too bad, and I've won quite a lot with it. But I lose just as much, and when I lose, I get mauled. That's why I came here. Just to see if someone else could notice what I'm not seeming to get.
So without further ado, my rain team.

I realized that I wanted to make a team around my favorite Mega Evolution, so I went for it. After looking up Mega Swampert's ability (which I hadn't known of until then), I realized I needed a rain team.

To set up rain while at the same time keeping the weather venue a secret, I knew I needed to look past the overused Politoed and think outside of the box. I chose to use a Goodra, but after the help of a very friendly rater down below, I realized that Incarnate Tornadus was the better option.

I knew that Tornadus would become a target of taunt from Thundurus, and maybe even Thunders from Thundurus, so I looked for a pokémon that would not only be a safe switch-in for taunt, but would also work well with the team as well as counter the very thing that threatens my Thundurus -- Armaldo. I gave it Assault Vest so it could take Thunders from Thundurus upon switching in, and it makes it last way longer when faced with Scalds or Hydro Pumps.

Another way I wanted to deal with Tornadus getting KO'd by Thundurus and such was by adding another user of Rain Dance. Obviously, item clause bans the usage of multiple Damp Rocks, so I gave Tentacruel the Black Sludge and Rain Dish to make it a good phaser and long-lasting/more able user of Rain Dance.

Therian Thundurus is essentially the special version of Landorus, with a hard-hitting 100% accurate specialty move of Thunder smacking enemy Charizards, Vaporeons, and more straight into the ground with a 30% chance of making them paraplegic along the way. Very powerful, and it redirects electric attacks to itself, getting healed along the way, and saving it's two allies Tentacruel and Tornadus from getting hit supereffectively from opposing Thunderbolts and the like.

The final pokémon had to be a physical wall, as my team really just looked a bit too special, and it needed to be one that could counter users of Storm Drain. Sure enough, Ferrothorn's 4x weakness to fire gets cut in half in the rain, so she seemed like a huge option, and a really smart switch-in to Mega Kangaskhan, as well. Finally, she provided a counter for Rotom-Wash and pokémon under Trick Room, so I knew I had to use her.

The teambuilding process itself may be flawed -- and it probably is -- but the team itself for some reason works great. Thank you to everyone who's helped me make this happen! :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jinni (TORNADUS) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 4 SpA / 92 SpD / 148 Spe
Calm Nature
O
Rain Dance
O Hurricane
O Protect
O Tailwind

Jinni is the god of this team. He is literally what keeps this team alive, because without it, we'd have no rain. The Tornadus, Jinni, is my weather setter. By not having an ability around weather, Tornadus gets to set up weather after other weather-instigators like ChariYard, Hippodown, and Abomasnow, while at the same time keeping itself from becoming taunt-bait until at least after it uses Rain Dance. Obviously, the Damp Rock is for longevity of rain, and protect is there for the sake of having protect. Tailwind is for further team support if there's time to do so, and Hurricane with 100% accuracy is the bane of many bulky grass types that my team has trouble hitting. Definitely a bulkier variant, more focused on being able to switch out and in once it's time to re-rain. Other than that, not much else to say. The best part about Tornadus is that as long as it isn't a Politoed, it keeps the fact that I'm a rain team a bit of a secret until maybe the next pokémon is in.

Kipster (MEGA SWAMPERT) (M) @Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 156 SpD / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
O
Waterfall
O Earthquake
O Protect
O Ice Punch

Although this can definitely give away the rain agenda, I think that Mega Swampert is an insane pokémon, especially when it's one that people have to work entire teams around (lol, bullet seed on a Cinccino. Is that common?). With the 76 EVs in Speed, Mega Swampert just barely hits a maximum 200 Speed in the rain, which outspeeds tons of pokémon. This tied in with the maximum investment in Attack gives Mega Swampert a 222 Attack stat to add to that insane speed and bulk. As of the defensive investments, I gave Kipster the 156 just so that it could maybe take an EnergyBall or GigaDrain from Mega Venusaur (I didn't do the calcs :I), more as reinforcement than anything else. The 20 HP because that was the best I could do with the final investments of 4 in Defense. Pretty spread out, but at least it works.

Raiden (THERIAN THUNDURUS) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 76 Def / 252 SpA / 52 SpD / 124 Spe
Timid Nature
O
Thunder
O Flash Cannon
O Volt Switch
O Grass Knot

Therian Thundurus has replaced Heliolisk to provide my team a stronger rain-abuser, a hell of a lot more type coverage, resistance to Giga Drain/Power Whip, and then a few other things that I forgot to mention. Thunder for rain-abuse, Dark Pulse for type coverage, Volt Switch for agility and momentum, and Flash Cannon for every single one of his weaknesses hit supereffectively. It was either this or Focus Blast, and I don't want to play with hax. So, Flash Cannon. I added Grass Knot to counter Gastrodon, Seismitoad, and other users of Storm Drain that would otherwise maul me. Not sure what else to say here. I don't know is Volt Absorb actually redirects Electric-Type attacks, but if it does, huge bonus.

Ginka (TENTACRUEL) (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 156 HP / 4 Def / 96 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
O
Scald
O Protect
O Giga Drain
O Rain Dance

God, Tentacruel. It might just be me, but I've never really seen Tentacruel in Battle Spot -- singles OR doubles. What an underrated pokémon. Anyway, enough of me moping. Ginka has the Black Sludge because I don't like it when people use Trick, and I want to be able to give Leftovers to someone else. :) This tied in with Rain Dish and Giga Drain makes for one long lasting pokémon. I didn't do the calcs for this, but in a recent battle, Ginka took three Thunderbolts from a Rotom-Wash before being stalled out (with the help of an upcoming ally) and eventually drained to death. I give it Rain Dance because Waterfall from Mega Swampert and Aqua Jet from a few Crawdaunts is a death sentence in the rain, even with the few investments in Defense. Obviously, Ginka might not be as defensive either, but at least it takes those Waterfalls/Aqua Jets as a decent switch-in, and replacement if Jinni has to bite the dust. Scald just because the burn damage and way of neutering physical attackers is just too much of a good deal to miss out on, and protect to take in that Rain Dish + Black Sludge on pretty much every other turn unless the situation demands for otherwise.

Cold Rod (FERROTHORN) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 4 HP / 36 Atk / 252 Def / 216 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs:
0 Spe
O Power Whip
O Leech Seed
O Protect
O Iron Head

Already a threat in OU, but take a closer look at this thing.
Her 4x weakness to fire is definitive of her, making pokémon like ChariYard and pretty much every other fire type that isn't in LC one of it's counters (special fire types especially, because of SpDef being weaker and not getting hit by those barbs). Put it in the rain, and the weakness becomes 2x, which definitely nerfs it's fire type counters to a massive extent. This means that it only has two weaknesses, but only one of them will really want to pick a fight with this guy (and fire types are definitely covered in this team). I was thinking about Ferroseed and Eviolite, but the recovery is way more important here. After doing the calcs, I can prove that this Ferrothorn's Power Whip OHKO's 0 Def/0 HP Rotom Wash, and OHKO's 252 HP Rotom after Stealth Rocks, which could be simulated with any other team members' attacks harming the Rotom to a certain extent.
So there's that.
Anyway, protect is there for the sake of protect. Iron Head is there to counter users of Trick Room with flinch, as it outspeeds most pokémon under Trick Room with it's minimal speed, and Leech Seed is there to keep Ferrothorn alive. I'm thinking about switching the Leftovers out for a Rocky Helmet to really put pain in Mega Kangaskhan.

Aarney (ARMALDO) (M) @ Assault Vest
Shiny: YES
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 40 Def / 204 Spe
Jolly Nature
O
Rock Slide
O X-Scissor
O Aqua Tail
O Cross Poison

Obviously, Protect is vital on pretty much all of the pokémon on my team since I really revolve around recovery/bulk over crazy-fast offensive instigators, but Assault Vest is even more important on this Armaldo. Without it, he's total Hydro Pump/Muddy Water bait. In a bit of a bind with this guy :I But outside of that, insane pokémon. The 204 investment in speed is unfortunately required for Armaldo to hit that 200 Speed with Swift Swim, along with the Jolly Nature. But max Attack EVs allow it to hit 177 attack in battle, and 40 Defense EVs to reach 125 Defense and make a fairly decent physical wall. Rock Slide is there to counter Sun/Hail instigators (I hate you, ChariYard). X-Scissor for powerful stab and counter to potential users of Psyshock on Ginka. Aqua Tail because it gets artificial stab in the rain, and Cross Poison because I hate Assault Vest Sylveon. So, yeah.

I'm not going to bother to put the little "O" next to every move in here, just because it's too much work for something so small. No pictures either. Descriptions should be brief, as well.

Philly CS (Heliolisk) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Hyper Voice
- Dark Pulse
- Volt Switch

Dry Skin heals 1/8 every turn in rain, so there's a good start. Focus Sash because Heliolisk is too damn frail. Timid Nature because he's really only meant to get in damage and die or switch out. Thunder for 100% accuracy and hard-hitting STAB. Hyper Voice for powerful STAB and widespread attack. Dark Pulse for type coverage, and Volt Switch for agility and a faint element of surprise throughout the battle.

Adam (Toxicroak) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Poison Jab
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

Honestly? A carbon copy of Heliolisk for the most part. A physical Heliolisk. Same item, respective nature, ability, etc. Fake Out to stop Cresselia, Thundurus, and other assholes. Poison Jab and Bullet Punch to hit Fairies like Sylveon super-hard. Knock Off just because.

Maple (Goodra) (F) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Hydration
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 116 HP / 88 Def / 52 SpA / 252 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs:
0 Spe
- Rain Dance
- Protect
- Muddy Water
- Sludge Bomb

Former rain-setter. Rain Dance because... lol. Protect for scouting mainly. Muddy Water for artificial STAB and attack on enemy's accuracy, and Sludge Bomb to kill Fairies, Ludicolo, etc.

EDIT: I always appreciate criticism towards certain aspects of my team, but please read the whole thing if you want to really understand why I make the many odd choices with my team that I do, as that can definitely affect your view or certain things you might have wanted to challenge previously. I'm not denying criticism, I'd just prefer... better criticism, I guess?

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Rain has to have a Politoed, it's just way better than a manual setter with drizzle

One second. I actually edited this thread a bit but had to re-create the thread, so I'm going to delete this one.
Just wanted to tell you so that you knew that I read your comment! :)
EDIT: Well, I don't really know how to delete that other thread. I just hope I don't get banned for it.

Rain has to have a Politoed, it's just way better than a manual setter with drizzle
So, to reply to this...
I stated in the very beginning that the reason I ran Goodra over Politoed was because of better bulk, redirecting the opponent's attention, and most importantly, because it goes last and sets up most recent weather change. That means that the rain stays. If Politoed outspeeds Hippodown or Abomasnow, it completely gets screwed over and so does the entire team. Here, Maple can deal with maybe an Ice Beam or something before it uses Rain Dance and establishes the venue of the match.

MZ

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So, to reply to this...
I stated in the very beginning that the reason I ran Goodra over Politoed was because of better bulk, redirecting the opponent's attention, and most importantly, because it goes last and sets up most recent weather change. That means that the rain stays. If Politoed outspeeds Hippodown or Abomasnow, it completely gets screwed over and so does the entire team. Here, Maple can deal with maybe an Ice Beam or something before it uses Rain Dance and establishes the venue of the match.
Then run poli and rain dance on another poke. Your rain is limited to one slow, tauntable poke with only average defense, and tentacruel for backup. Quite frankly there are other things I could critique, but no poli is just a glaring issue

You could also provide a set, OR you could suggest other possible fixes to the team instead of just blatantly stating that the team is bad.

ONWARD TO THE RATE:

Your team is pretty good, it can handle some threats and dish back a lot of damage. Though it's a great start, I have a few suggestions to make it better.

• For a much better and reliable rain setter, I recommend you replace Tentacruel with Tornadus (Incarnate). Tornadus has access to a great ability in Prankster, and a 100% accurate STAB Hurricane. It lets you blast things such as Mega-Venusar and Amoongus, which are a real pain to your team.
  • Heliolisk is not that viable in VGC; like you said it is extremely frail and vulnerable to priority of all sorts. Taking a look at the viability rankings (See here) we see that in place of Heliolisk we can add another rain abuser in the forms of AV Ludicolo. With AV and SS, it can hit most things hard and outspeed a lot of threats.
  • Myself not being an avid VGC Player, I don't know about some of the EV spreads on some pokemon, but I'll let someone else handle that due to my lack of an idea of what those sets should be.
  • I understand why you added Heliolisk, and if you want to, we could add an additional abuser with a 100% accurate Thunder, such as Jolteon, but it looks good without it.
  • Ferrothorn would be much better with Protect over Toxic, because Heatran is such a threat with Heat Wave.

Tentacruel ----------> Tornadus

Tornadus @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 HP / 4 SpD (Again, please correct me if these EVs are bad)
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Rain Dance
- Taunt
- Grass Knot

Ludicolo @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Scald

Ferro's toxic ---> protect

You could also provide a set, OR you could suggest other possible fixes to the team instead of just blatantly stating that the team is bad.

ONWARD TO THE RATE:

Your team is pretty good, it can handle some threats and dish back a lot of damage. Though it's a great start, I have a few suggestions to make it better.

• For a much better and reliable rain setter, I recommend you replace Tentacruel with Tornadus (Incarnate). Tornadus has access to a great ability in Prankster, and a 100% accurate STAB Hurricane. It lets you blast things such as Mega-Venusar and Amoongus, which are a real pain to your team.
  • Heliolisk is not that viable in VGC; like you said it is extremely frail and vulnerable to priority of all sorts. Taking a look at the viability rankings (See here) we see that in place of Heliolisk we can add another rain abuser in the forms of AV Ludicolo. With AV and SS, it can hit most things hard and outspeed a lot of threats.
  • Myself not being an avid VGC Player, I don't know about some of the EV spreads on some pokemon, but I'll let someone else handle that due to my lack of an idea of what those sets should be.
  • I understand why you added Heliolisk, and if you want to, we could add an additional abuser with a 100% accurate Thunder, such as Jolteon, but it looks good without it.
  • Ferrothorn would be much better with Protect over Toxic, because Heatran is such a threat with Heat Wave.

Tentacruel ----------> Tornadus

Tornadus @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 HP / 4 SpD (Again, please correct me if these EVs are bad)
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Rain Dance
- Taunt
- Grass Knot

Ludicolo @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Scald

Ferro's toxic ---> protect
Thanks for the advice! I tossed Toxic on Ferrothorn for protect. The only problem is, the Tentacruel isn't really made entirely for Rain Dance -- it's just more of a phazer that I saw fit to add Rain Dance to, especially since it could take the Thunderbolt in that story, and I just don't know if Tornadus can take that. I originally ran Tornadus-Therian as a Tailwinder, but it just gets mauled by other rain abusers. The Jolteon is definitely going to be looked at, as it's Volt Absorb looks really nice. However, Heliolisk's movepool is way more vast than Jolteon's simple Thunder/VoltSwitch/ShadowBall/---. I don't know if I have room for Ludicolo, since I already have a Grass Type staller, and I already have an Assault Vestier as well. Leftovers might be a secondary option, but I've already got those on Ferrothorn -- although I could easily give Ferro a Rocky Helmet.
God dangit, teambuilding is insane.
Either way, Tornadus is definitely missing some bulk if it wants to be a rain-setter, but at the same time, Maple doesn't really need to be so slow outside of being a Trick Room counter. I'm definitely going to look into ways to counter Taunt Users such as Thundurus and Whimsicott, but outside of that, I'm really just going to look more into what you said. Once again, thanks for the advice! :)

EDIT: Working on Jolteon, but I don't know what item I should give it. No way am I giving it Specs and locking it into a Thunder that might only last 3 or 4 turns, and Wise Glasses just don't have enough of an effect. Too frail for Life Orb, but Focus Sash just doesn't fit it the way it works with Heliolisk. Help?
EDIT AGAIN: Then there's still the shallow movepool. And don't forget the fact that Jolteon literally gains no benefit out of the rain other than Thunder's accessibility. Instead of Jolteon, maybe Raikou?

Last edited:
Just an Update:
Cold Rod
(Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 4 HP / 36 Atk / 252 Def / 216 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs:
0 Spe
O Power Whip
O Leech Seed
O Protect
O Stealth Rock

Gyro Ball replaced with Power Whip to counter the all-irritating Rotom-W. Looking into ways to still bash at Sylveon outside of Aarney's Cross-Poison.

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
Use gyro ball>stealth rock, because hazards do absolutely nothing in vgc, being a singles oriented move.

Also, scarf and specs thundy t are the best thunder spammers, and you should really only have 1 electric, for team variety's sake.

Sadly, both hazards and phasing are unviable in a fast paced meta like vgc, so tentacruel is a big no no. You might as well just run politoed and be over with it. Also, 5/6 mons rely on rain in some way, so you might wanna add things that can function outside of rain. Talonflame, for example, checks bulky grasses that your team can't touch.

Edit: rather than use a move that deals residual damage that may or may not affect ohkos and 2hkos, it's almost always better to attack, which can deal 50% or more in a turn. (lando stealth rock deals 25% to thundy, but rock slide hits both opponents and deals 40+)

Edit #2: I WILL TYPE IN ALL CAPS AND RED FONT SO YOU ACTUALLY FOLLOW THIS
REPLACE TENTACRUEL WITH POLITOED IT MAKES YOUR TEAM BETTER I GUARANTEE. IF YOU DON'T SACK TURN 1 YOU SHOULDN'T NEED ANOTHER SETTER.

Politoed @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
-Scald
-Protect
-Icy Wind
-Helping Hand

Ludicolo outclasses Armaldo 100% through typing, FAKE OUT, movepool, and overall stats.
I'm not too familiar with vgc spreads, so I just outsped adamant scarf lando t and put the rest into hp.
Ludicolo @ Assault Vest
EVs: 116 HP / 252 Spa / 140 Spe
Relaxed Nature
-Scald
-Protect
-Icy Wind
-Helping Hand

Once you you have politoed, you really don't need a second setter: if rain goes down, switch poli in again or just play around it. REPLACE TORNADUS WITH TALONFLAME.
Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Spd / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-Tailwind
-Protect

Ferro is doing close to nothing for your team, especially with a spread like that (you do know 252 hp is more efficient right???) REPLACE FERRO WITH BISHARP, who has the offensive pressure that ferro lacks, and works better as rain's "dragon killer".
Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Knock Off
-Iron Head
-Sucker Punch
-Protect
Edit#3: literally copypasting this post so you actually read

Last edited:
Use gyro ball>stealth rock, because hazards do absolutely nothing in vgc, being a singles oriented move.

Also, scarf and specs thundy t are the best thunder spammers, and you should really only have 1 electric, for team variety's sake.

Sadly, both hazards and phasing are unviable in a fast paced meta like vgc, so tentacruel is a big no no. You might as well just run politoed and be over with it. Also, 5/6 mons rely on rain in some way, so you might wanna add things that can function outside of rain. Talonflame, for example, checks bulky grasses that your team can't touch.
You know, I never understood why people always said that hazards didn't fit in Doubles. Especially in Tinka's Toxic Spikes, this meta is filled with pokémon who want to switch out and pop back into battle all over the place. Scrafty, Politoed, Hippodown, Abomasnow, Landorus, etc, are all the sort of back-and-forth pokémon that I'm talking about. I've heard it way too many times to just dismiss it, though, so Tinka might have to be dropped from the team.
Talonflame definitely going to be looked at, as well. Thanks for the advice!

EDIT: Added Thundurus!

Raiden (Thundurus-Therian) @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Modest Nature
O
Thunder
O Protect
O Flash Cannon
O Volt Switch

Still having trouble trying to fit in Talonflame. I'm thinking about possibly an Espeon or something to deal with Mega Venusaur especially. I'm definitely keeping Tinka (the Tentacruel), though, because the 100 speed mixed in with the 120 special defense is just too good of a long-lasting phaser/setter-upper to pass up. I don't want to get rid of the Armaldo, only because it's such a speedy pokémon with the ability and it's natural physical bulk. Updating OP.

Last edited:
ADDED POLITOED:
I read the ratings again, and realized that Megazard Z was right in saying that I needed a Politoed. It really takes away from the whole element of surprise with my team, but then again, so did the fact that I even had Mega Swampert in the first place. If anyone else suggests or finds a way for me to keep steady rain without using Politoed, I will immediately take up that offer with a smile. But without further ado, my Politoed.

Ranazul (Politoed) (M) @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs:
0 Spe
O Scald
O Protect
O Toxic
O Double Team (help please?)

The name is Spanish for "Blue Frog," as that's what Politoed is. Obviously Damp Rock for longevity in the rain. Not much to say about the ability either. The maximum deinvestment in speed is my attempt to find a way to counter Trick Room teams, even though that's much harder to do with a SpAtk of 90. Protect for longevity in the pokémon itself. Toxic, because, well, why not? The maximum investments in SpDef and HP make it hard to take down, and a decent wall, so I say go for it. I don't know what to do in the fourth slot, so I just put in Double Team to keep that motif of longevity going with Ranazul. I'm asking for something better to put here. Once this is figured out, I will immediately get rid of Maple on the original post and Ranazul will take her place. RIP Maple :(

MZ

Encore or helping hand over double team are pretty good options for team support, but rain dance can be run to set over zard/tyranitar/ whatever and icy wind can be good speed control.

Got rid of Poli. Again.
Instead, I'm running Tornadus.

Jafar (Tornadus) @ Damp Rock
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe / 88 SpD
Calm Nature
O
Rain Dance
O Hurricane
O Protect
O Tailwind

Really only meant to be a bulkier weather-setter, while at the same time not being taunt-bait like the Goodra. It's fast enough to potentially outspeed bulky Thundurus-Is, Mega Banette (yes, that's apparently a thing), and other pranksters that could potentially taunt it. 100% accuracy Hurricane is my attempt at rain-abuse in a pokémon that isn't really meant to be offensive (just so that it doesn't resort to Struggle under taunt), protect for momentum, and Tailwind for further team support if there's room to do so in the battle. 252 defense evs to reach 122 defense, and 88 spdef evs and a corresponding nature to reach the same stat in spdef. I formerly had 4 SpAtk evs, but decided speed was more important in the case of Skill-Swap or other Pranksters. 164 HP evs for 175 HP and decent bulk, and... yeah. It's pretty late now, so correct me if anything is spelt incorrectly or I made a stupid mistake. Outside of that, I don't have much else to say. Still keeps a bit of secrecy, and kind of better than Poli in stats and viability.
Bye.

Last edited:
Encore or helping hand over double team are pretty good options for team support, but rain dance can be run to set over zard/tyranitar/ whatever and icy wind can be good speed control.
I saw Encore, but thought maybe not. Poli is too slow, so I don't really know for sure what move I could be Encoring unless the enemy is slower than me.
I didn't see Helping Hand as an option...
Couldn't find Icy Wind, either.
Rain Dance is a bit redundant, and not really a safe play with Poli since his 100 SpDef is really all that he's got for his longevity.

BUMP:
Edited post to make it a bit flashier, and updated EVs/movesets to match what I've been tinkering around with. Still looking for advice; especially within replacements for Armaldo (I really don't know what else to do...).

I personally don't think that tentacruel is that good if you plan on going to real life events. I personally like Politoed. Just my opinion though.

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
A c/p of one of my previous posts that you apparently haven't acknowledged. I think it still applies.

Edit #2: I WILL TYPE IN ALL CAPS AND RED FONT SO YOU ACTUALLY FOLLOW THIS
REPLACE TENTACRUEL WITH POLITOED IT MAKES YOUR TEAM BETTER I GUARANTEE. IF YOU DON'T SACK TURN 1 YOU SHOULDN'T NEED ANOTHER SETTER.
Politoed @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
-Scald
-Protect
-Icy Wind
-Helping Hand

Ludicolo outclasses Armaldo 100% through typing, FAKE OUT, movepool, and overall stats.
I'm not too familiar with vgc spreads, so I just outsped adamant scarf lando t and put the rest into hp.
Ludicolo @ Assault Vest
EVs: 116 HP / 252 Spa / 140 Spe
Relaxed Nature
-Scald
-Protect
-Icy Wind
-Helping Hand

Once you you have politoed, you really don't need a second setter: if rain goes down, switch poli in again or just play around it. REPLACE TORNADUS WITH TALONFLAME.
Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Spd / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-Tailwind
-Protect
Ferro is doing close to nothing for your team, especially with a spread like that (you do know 252 hp is more efficient right???) REPLACE FERRO WITH BISHARP, who has the offensive pressure that ferro lacks, and works better as rain's "dragon killer".
Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Knock Off
-Iron Head
-Sucker Punch
-Protect
Edit#3: literally copypasting this post so you actually read

Reactions: MZ
A good set for Politoed rather than running a straight foward 252 spread, use this:
I've found this to have success while playing VGC:

Politoed (M) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 32 SpA / 100 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Scald
- Helping Hand
- Protect
- Ice Beam

MZ

A good set for Politoed rather than running a straight foward 252 spread, use this:
I've found this to have success while playing VGC:

Politoed (M) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 32 SpA / 100 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Scald
- Helping Hand
- Protect
- Ice Beam
When you suggest spreads/mons, you should explain why you're suggesting them. Why Politoed is essential is obvious but why the EVs? Why 1 attack instead of 0? Even the moves can be debatable, and you can't put a mon with a specific EV spread on your team without knowing what the spread does.

Is this better?

Defensive Calculations:

64 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 100 SpD Politoed: 224-266 (58.3 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Abomasnow Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 100 SpD Politoed: 194-230 (50.5 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage
144+ SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 100 SpD Politoed: 264-312 (68.7 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Sylveon Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 100 SpD Politoed: 204-241 (53.1 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Offensive Calculations:
32 SpA Politoed Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Manectric in Rain: 363-427 (248.6 - 292.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
32 SpA Politoed Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Scrafty in Rain: 214-253 (124.4 - 147%) -- guaranteed OHKO
32 SpA Politoed Scald vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD Mamoswine in Rain: 726-854 (345.7 - 406.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
32 SpA Politoed Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kangaskhan in Rain: 289-342 (159.6 - 188.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
32 SpA Politoed Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus: 296-352 (92.5 - 110%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

Reactions: MZ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)