RMT OU team

Hi. This is my first RMT so I apologize in advance for any mistakes i make. So anyway, i've been using this team for a long time and it nets me many wins. Its changed a lot from its early stages but recently, I still discover some holes in the team even tho i try my best to cover majority of today's threats. I hope to make it into a stable team before moving on to Gen 5 (if i ever do dat). Here goes:

The team:

(its rotom-h btw, cant find the animated sprite for it)

Scizor (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
EVs: 12 HP/252 Atk/244 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd,-SpAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- U-turn

The lead... yes a weird one but it works decently for me since I always have problems picking a lead. What it does is to catch ppl off guard with choice scarf and be a scout/revenge killer. It provides early momentum by OHKOing silly azelfs (unless they carry choice scarf and flamethrower) AND bringing in swampert (for SR) with U-turn. If not it damages the opposing lead (decently) while I find a counter.

Pros:
Kills lead azelf and aerodactyl; acts as scout; revenge kills SD luke (if rotom-h is gone), dd ttar, non-scarf heatran ; pursuit trapper

Cons: Sux if the opposing lead is defensive/resists u-turn... meaning its a free turn of set up. Despite great speed, it lacks power and becomes set-up bait sometimes. (like for dd gyara) ALSO, my only pokemon with fighting type moves and superpower has atk drops so im prone to things that are fighting weak

---

Rotom-H @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SpAtk/4 SpDef
Timid nature (+Spd,-Atk)
- Overheat
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Typical Rotom-h, i guess i cant say much here. My only fire attacker (and since its overheat...... well, trying to remedy that......)

Pros: Spinblocker; revenge kills top threats like dd gyara and sd luke; suicune counter (together with starmie, if it hasnt CM alot yet); trick but im a noob user of it T.T

Cons: Pursuit weak; Set-up fodder if locked into wrong move (fate of a choiced poke i guess so i cant complain); I hate it when ppl have gyarados waterfall it when i switch in expecting dd
---

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SpAtk/4 SpDef
Timid nature (+Spd,-Atk)
- Grass Knot
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt

My MYP of the team, this star hasnt failed me yet since i added it to the team. LO Hydro pump blasts a big hole in everything and everything else is to provide team coverage. Grass knot for swampert, psychic for machamp.

Pros: Major powerhouse :D Cant do w/o it

Cons: Recover, rapid spin and ice beam are other moves it could do wif. Sad dat deres not enuf space. Nothing much to complain here
---

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP/216 Def/52 SpDef
Relaxed nature (+Def,-Spd)
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Typical tankpert, sets up SR, phazes. Also acts as dragon counter. General Tank for everything dats not grass.

Pros: Very tank, gud at phazing

Cons: Set up fodder for taunters (e.g. dd taunt gyara) and skarmory
---

Bronzong @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/152 Atk/8 Def/96 SpDef
Impish nature (+Def,-SpAtk)
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Light Screen
- Reflect

Dual screener to provide additional defences for every1. Saves ttar a babiri berry and makes life hell for the opponent

Pros: Tank enuf to set up both screens and explosion to kill anything threatening

Cons: No healing moves, kinda of a dead weight if opponent is immune to both its attacks (e.g. gengar, skarmory)
---

Tyranitar (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk/6 Def/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd,-SpAtk)
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

My set up sweeper. The team used to centre around him but not anymore due to prevalence of its counters like scizor, metagross and machamp. Hits like a truck with 1 dd, Hits like a train with 2 dd and massacres with 3 dd (only if priority doesnt kill it first) Reflect from zong helps to turn CB Scizor's BP to a 2HKO, while +1 Stone edge OHKOs it (i think?) Earthquake is for heatran, metagross and +3 EQ OHKOs Machamp (i almost got there once)

Pros: Like any set up sweeper, demolishes the opponent if no counters are in the way

Cons: Counters are rather common nowadays (ironic i know)
---
*Edit: I dont send out bronzong and ttar til late game (when i have fully scouted the opposing team for the numerous ttar counters)... for the attempt to set up and sweep. So they are generally dead weights i guess. Maybe my playing style shuld change a bit...

(Sorry if it sounds like a rant (esp in the cons), cos thats what it sounds like to me)

I find that pokemon with strong fire and grass moves neuters 5/6 of my team (infernape, defensive nasty plot togekiss handed my ass to me the other day) despite the typing synergy.

My team is also prone to entry hazards set up (like skarmory on swampert) but I dont want to lose momentum by having starmie rapid spin. LO and rapid spin together feels like a waste, yet entry hazards matter alot. Cant think of a poison type to fit on the team to remove toxic spikes either.

Well, so thats it. Thanks in advance for the help and hope that u guys wont flame me too much

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Rain dance LO ludicolo instantly tears the team apart if screens are not up since ttar cant do anything to it even if it can change the weather (ludicolo just rain dance again). Skarmbliss may hurt the team w/o proper use of trick scarf. Trickscarf is the only way to break through stall teams I guess... But trickscarf requires quite a lot of prediction but stall teams are generally more predictable sometimes. Offensive/standard tentacruel counters ludicolo and removes entry hazards but I see not much point removing them since none are SR weak and only the two choice users switch in often. Rotom-h lures scarf ttar for your own ttar to set up or scizor to just wrack up damage. It is also noted that u-turn rotom combo counters subpunch breloom. The fast and slow of the team ensures it is not teared by trick room teams and bronzong can happily set screens. A good baton pass team would tear it since your team lacks taunt and/or whirlwind. Toxic spikes only affect starmie and swampert since ttar has lum. However starmie's life span is very limited to only a few turns with LO and sandstorm from your own or opponent's. I recommend to get rid of skarmbliss before attempting to sweep or use starmie. Also your team counters SD lucario forever with both choice users or if you manage to get reflect up. Scizor swampert bronzong covers each other weakness like rotom-h starmie ttar. The good typing synergy must not be wasted by random sacrificing of pokes even though it is tempting to left ttar sweep as early as possible. Overall it is a reliable team even without the use of legendaries and hidden powers :)

dont see how.. in sandstorm, only modest LO/specs ludicolo can OHKO tyranitar with hydro pump or grass knot. it can choose to kill me or set up rain again. If it does the latter I get to hit >50% of its hp with any move and switch out on the next turn or in the former, send in scizor to U-turn for the OHKO. Broznong can tank all attacks (bar LO/Specs hydro pump) in the rain and set up light screen to screw it over too. Baton pass can be handled with... eventually i guess. hard to pull off a full BP team

dont see how.. in sandstorm, only modest LO/specs ludicolo can OHKO tyranitar with hydro pump or grass knot.
Which is why basically every Ludicolo uses Modest/LO.

Hi ThunderX, decent team.

You said that you want the focus of your team to be DD Tyranitar, but that it wasn't working out for you because of Steel-Types. In the Gen IV forums, I've seen many teams that have problems with Steels such as Scizor, and for almost every one I recommend a CS Magnezone. It can almost always take out pokemon such as Forretress, Scizor, and Skarmory that severely hinder many teams:

Magnezone@Choice Scarf
Naive Nature, 252SpA, 4Def, 252Spe
Thunderbolt
Flash Cannon
HP Fire/HP Ground
Explosion

Magnezone's main job is simple; trap and kill Steel-types that hinder so many pokemon. Thunderbolt and Flash Cannon are STAB. The hidden power is for coverage; HP Fire lets you OHKO Scizor and Forretress, while HP Ground lets you trap and revenge kill Heatran. Explosion can take out a pokemon that's giving you trouble once Magnezone has done his job. I'd use it over Scizor.

Next, I'd put Swampert in the lead position. Swampert isn't the best lead in the game, but he can reliably set up rocks early, which really facilitates Tyranitar's sweep late game. His longevity takes a hit, but your team is pretty offensively oriented anyways, and Bronzong can tank resisted hits all day. Speaking of Bronzong, give him Gyro Ball over EQ for STAB.

Give Starmie Ice Beam over Psychic. Psychic has pretty terrible coverage and is a free switch for CS Tyranitar/Weavile/ Pursuit Metagross to come in and destroy you. Ice Beam is vital since it prevents Dragons from setting up on you. With your serious lack of Spikes immunities, I'd test out Rapid Spin over Grass Knot with Leftovers as well. If you really don't like it you can always change back, but right now stall utterly destroys you even with Magnezone to remove Skarmories.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Hey this team looks good although I have a few small suggestions. Just as 2sly4u said, put Swampert in the lead position as it is a pretty good lead and able to take a few hits (no grass types) and can lay up rocks pretty safely. It also has the ability to scout with roar so the opponent takes entry hazard damage.

For Starmie maybe you can try this set:

Starmie @ life orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 hp, 252 speed, 4 spatt
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam

This set worked great for me since I have used it alot. It doesnt have grass knot for swampert but there are also other ways dealing with it (for example tricking it a choice scarf). It doesn't have max spatt but with the life orb at the cost of some hp it still can do alot of damage. Max Hp is for bulk.

Another small thing is Fire Punch > EQ on ttar. Because you said a bp from Scizor is a 2-hit ko after reflect but a +1 stone edge wont ohko a scizor so you've got a problem right there. You can off course switch into magnezone but if it fainted already that would suck.

Hope I helped you!

Thank you 2sly4u and B-zard, will try those out later. I never got trapped by pursuiters when using psychic but now that u mention it.. i guess its kinda worrying. But i still nid a way to deal with machamp. No1 ever expects psychic from starmie but predicts aerial ace from aerodactyl (on my other team) ... urgh

After thinking, i see that i nid a wish passer. Hopefully with levitate. Latias would be best but since thats in ubers... i have to go for togekiss. Any1 uses wish togekiss sets and can share? Thx in advancehttp://www.smogon.com/forums/member.php?u=68044

Maybe you can try this set:

Togekiss @ leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Bold Nature, 252 hp, 188 def, 68 spdef
- Thunder Wave/ Body Slam
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Wish

This set is based on the standard Paraflinch one but instead of Roost it has Wish. Maybe you can usethis Togekiss set over Bronzong since they both support the team. The ice weakness is resited by Starmie and Magnezone/Scizor, electric by Swampert (immune), Rotom-H and Magnezone (if you choose it) and the Rock weakness is resited by Swampert and Magnezone (if you choose it) so based on weaknesses it is not a huge deal. Well there still is a problem cuz if you replace Magnezone over Scizor it means that Magnezone, Rotom-H, Starmie and Togekiss are specially based and your teammembers don't have a lot of physical attacks so Blissey can be a huge problem, so it might be good to keep Scizor and change it to a Choice Banded set since it has BP so you don't need the Choice Scarf and Rotom also has one. This is the set I recommend:

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature, 248 hp, 252 att, 8 speed
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- U-turn

Almost max Hp for bulk and I can tell you it really works on this set cuz I have used it before. Max speed combined with base 65 speed is (in my opinion) not useful to invest in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)