Relationships Thread (Please read the OP before freaking out)

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Now, I know what you're probably thinking. The last thing this forum needs is a freaking dating thread. And you would be absolutely right. But here's the thing. The word "relationship" can refer to romantic feelings, sure, but it doesn't have to. This word can refer to anyone or anything- your relationship(s) with family, friends, colleagues, coworkers, you name it. And those are just relationships you might have with other people, too. What about relationships to a certain hobby or interest you have, and how you got interested in whatever that is?

Basically what I'm trying to say here is that I understand why the idea of a "Relationships Thread"... well, wouldn't be the greatest idea. That being said, the consequence of not having a thread about relationships in an effort to avoid posts about dating, romantic intentions, et cetera is that every other kind of relationship gets swept under the rug for something they didn't do. So long as users are still following the rules, I don't see the harm in trying to create a more casual space where people can talk about their non-romantic relationships with other people, places, and things. Take athletics and sports, for example. Many people including myself have played at least one activity that could be considered a sport when they were younger, and because of that could make a post stating something along the lines of "My history with (insert sport here) goes way, way back" before writing the rest of the post.

I wanted to make this thread for a while now, but couldn't quite figure out how I wanted to write this OP. Heck, I even changed the title twice as I was writing this. As a fellow forums user who enjoys talking about the casual things in my life, I understood why a thread like this didn't exist but was still upset that nothing did; because for me, that meant I had nowhere I could openly talk about, say, how my college friends have been a very big motivation for me, or how I can still be on great terms with my family even though half of said family doesn't live anywhere close to me. Those are the kinds of relationships I wanted a thread to exist for- and you know what they say about creating something yourself to fulfill your needs.

I think that just about covers everything, so before I go, I just want to go over some brief footnotes in an effort to ensure yours, mine, and others' safety when posting.
  • As with any other thread, be sure to review the moderation and posting rules before posting. There's a good chance that if you don't think a post you're writing will be appropriate for that thread, you might be better off just not posting that.
  • I really hope this goes without saying, but hey, it's the Internet and unfortunately people do stupid stuff all the time. That being said, do the best you can to avoid posting about anyone's personal information here, even if that person isn't a forums user. I will personally go through and delete any and all posts that feature phone numbers, e-mail addresses, and other means of identification and report anyone who breaks that rule.
  • Finally, understand that while it's okay to disagree with someone's opinions, it's generally not worth the time and effort to act toxic towards other users. Let's just say that I can think of "a certain other Cong thread" where this was a problem and leave it at that, okay? Cool.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
relationships are very interesting, i have a very unhealthy relationship with competitive pokemans

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
relationships are very interesting, i have a very unhealthy relationship with competitive pokemans
Saying this with all due respect, my friend... anyone with a Chi-Yu profile picture can't be trusted to have a healthy relationship with or around the competitive scene. When I said I wanted my goldfish extra spicy, I was talking about the snack crackers, not the Pokémon lol

(Disclaimer: I have nothing against you as a user or any other Chi-Yu fans for that matter.)

Thank you, bdt2002. I have been giving the mod team feedback on this very matter and I am elated to see it has been addressed. I might post something more detailed later about some of my own relationships, notably those with Twitch streamers, idols, and a couple v-tubers that I feel are really pushing the envelope in that space.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
Thank you, bdt2002. I have been giving the mod team feedback on this very matter and I am elated to see it has been addressed. I might post something more detailed later about some of my own relationships, notably those with Twitch streamers, idols, and a couple v-tubers that I feel are really pushing the envelope in that space.
I'm glad to know I can try and be of assistance here. Content creators get on my nerves sometimes with how easily public perception of such a topic can be warped in a number of ways.

Actually, that reminds me. In a similar manner, I think it's important to note how people at or around my younger age (think low to mid 20s, maybe very late teen years) might start to feel some form of obligation to be a part of a healthy relationship. I know many people in person who may consider this as a form of validation, feeling like he (referring to my guy friends) can only fit in if he has an S.O.. At some point I started feeling like the odd one out in my own friend group because of this exact problem, not wanting to get in the way of their own relationships while still failing to recognize what I might want or need in one of my own. Thankfully, we're all still on good terms, and we're definitely still friends. It's just... come on, when they're sitting at some table for X amount of hours playing D&D and their girlfriends are just kind of sitting there doing nothing... something doesn't feel right about that kind of friendship, let me tell you.

• Wow
Reactions: zf
IMO the past model of romantic relationships is on its way out. When my grandparents were in high school they got married after graduation and then moved across the country and had kids within five years. I can't imagine doing that in the modern era (I'm a straight man fwiw). It feels like we've been encouraged to have other priorities as a generation, and I don't necessarily think thats a bad thing. I've been sold an idealized version of romance my whole life, but as I get older I'm realizing more and more that the adults around me are generally unhappy in their romantic relationships. It's no wonder that, with less and less pressure is being exerted on young people to get into a traditional relationship, fewer and fewer of us are deciding it's worth the investment. We're disillusioned, and we have every reason to be.

As with any transition period, it's gonna be painful. The oldheads will get increasingly butthurt and controlling as it becomes more and more clear that we're having no part in propogating their traditional values (you can find a lot of youtube intellectuals whining and opining to this effect already). Meanwhile, those who are forging ahead into the future are beset with uncertainty as they have to navigate a field of alternatives that are for the most part more broken then even the outmoded old system. I see friends of mine swapping to girl (if they weren't already) and all living together and dating one another. I see others adopting a "sigma male" lifestyle where they focus their energies on more fruitful pursuits instead of pursuing romantic relationships. I see people getting sterilized in order to have sex more freely and/or because they dont think it's responsible to bring a child into the world. It remains to be seen which of these life strategies, if any, will come to define the attitudes that we have towards romantic relationships in the west going forward.

But the one thing I am sure of, is that this is going to be a major battleground, if not THE major battleground, of our generation. It's up to each of us to pave our own path and use our values and priorities to pick the rules and norms that we want to live by, and that we want to propogate forward into the future. And I'm hopeful that by doing so we can create something new, interesting, even beautiful, something only we could've created. I trust us. We're the most adaptable and resourceful generation ever to exist. We've had to be, since the entire world has been changing under our feet ever since we were born. So, I think we're up to this challenge, and I can't wait to see how it unfolds.

IMO the past model of romantic relationships is on its way out. When my grandparents were in high school they got married after graduation and then moved across the country and had kids within five years. I can't imagine doing that in the modern era (I'm a straight man fwiw). It feels like we've been encouraged to have other priorities as a generation, and I don't necessarily think thats a bad thing. I've been sold an idealized version of romance my whole life, but as I get older I'm realizing more and more that the adults around me are generally unhappy in their romantic relationships. It's no wonder that, with less and less pressure is being exerted on young people to get into a traditional relationship, fewer and fewer of us are deciding it's worth the investment. We're disillusioned, and we have every reason to be.

As with any transition period, it's gonna be painful. The oldheads will get increasingly butthurt and controlling as it becomes more and more clear that we're having no part in propogating their traditional values (you can find a lot of youtube intellectuals whining and opining to this effect already). Meanwhile, those who are forging ahead into the future are beset with uncertainty as they have to navigate a field of alternatives that are for the most part more broken then even the outmoded old system. I see friends of mine swapping to girl (if they weren't already) and all living together and dating one another. I see others adopting a "sigma male" lifestyle where they focus their energies on more fruitful pursuits instead of pursuing romantic relationships. I see people getting sterilized in order to have sex more freely and/or because they dont think it's responsible to bring a child into the world. It remains to be seen which of these life strategies, if any, will come to define the attitudes that we have towards romantic relationships in the west going forward.

But the one thing I am sure of, is that this is going to be a major battleground, if not THE major battleground, of our generation. It's up to each of us to pave our own path and use our values and priorities to pick the rules and norms that we want to live by, and that we want to propogate forward into the future. And I'm hopeful that by doing so we can create something new, interesting, even beautiful, something only we could've created. I trust us. We're the most adaptable and resourceful generation ever to exist. We've had to be, since the entire world has been changing under our feet ever since we were born. So, I think we're up to this challenge, and I can't wait to see how it unfolds.
Very profound post, Redless. I too am looking forward to this challenge.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
(Not me posting on my own thread two months after the last time someone posted)

I thought today was the last day of July, but apparently that’s tomorrow so uuuhhh enjoy this post a day early, I guess. A lot of things have happened this month. For the purpose of this thread, I want to focus on two of those. Anyone that’s followed my activity elsewhere already knows my nephew has recently entered the world, and that I’m very happy about his well-being as well as that of my nephew’s parents. Their relationship has taught me so much that I don’t think I would otherwise know, not only as my brother’s brother, but as a growing young man myself and what I need to try and look for in a relationship.

The other topic is a bit more interesting, though. Sure, I have my friend groups from school, but as far as being part of a so-called “team”, my job I picked up this summer is the first time I’ve considered myself a part of a group activity since I started college, which is funny when you consider this isn’t a school and/or campus job. It’s a freaking fast food customer service job and somehow that’s more enjoyable than hanging out with other students. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the average customer actually tries to be appreciative and thankful of my efforts making me feel better throughout the day, but I digress.

In any case, my job reminded me of another kind of relationship I forgot to mention- that with a person’s community. Customer service is something I’ve always been fond of because I enjoy giving back into the community we’re all a part of over here. Even small, mundane things like asking how someone’s meal is can go a long way in turning their day around.

I have a platonic relationship with a girl.
It's fun knowing that you can make relationships with people from the opposite gender (with the assistance of friends and drama of course).
And I find it cool that she's not too dissimilar to me.
I suspect my parents ship us though and man it is not fun being under that
So in future
if you can make friendships or relationships with those of the opposite gender
do

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Personal relationships are the foundation of our emotional and mental well-being. They provide us with a sense of belonging, support, and understanding that technology simply can't replicate. Whether it's family, friends, or even mentors, these relationships offer a safe space to share our thoughts, dreams, and concerns.

Moreover, personal relationships have a significant impact on our physical health. Studies have shown that people with strong social ties tend to have lower levels of stress and longer life spans. The emotional support we receive from our loved ones can act as a buffer against life's challenges, making us more resilient in the face of adversity.

In a world where everything seems to be moving at lightning speed, let's remember to nurture and cherish our personal relationships. Whether it's a heartfelt conversation over coffee or a simple text to check in on someone, these small gestures can make a world of difference. So, let's prioritize the people who matter most and build a network of connections that enrich our lives in ways that technology never could.

Stay connected,
- monkfish

Does someone else have this one friend that you feel like is the complete opposite of you

I have this good friend, let's call him Foreign Feline (FF for short), and him and I are different in almost every way. I am tall and thin, he's short and stocky, I am completely clean, FF has tried every chemical known and unknown in this world, I am good with paper and brushes, he's good with steel and chainsaws... We recently ate Pizza together and whilst he had one with bacon and salami, I had one with bell peppers and arugula

I sometimes really wonder how we workout. We studied together and all of our cohorts never understood how we became friends. I don't even know it myself. The only thing that connects us, is how we are both inherently curious. We want to see what we don't know and experience things that are new for us. I think that's what binds us and it's the basis of our relationship. We are different and we embrace these differences due to us being curious

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
its my 1 year wedding anniversary today

i met my wife in an extremely unlikely way (i tried tinder while on vacation in a new city) and she changed my life for the better in so many ways. ive grown a lot too since i moved up here, its been a really exciting journey

i think the thing thats been craziest to me is that im never tired of being around her, even when we first met. i think thats one of the most ideal traits to look for in a partner - someone who you never get tired of hanging out with. theres so much more i can say about how much i love her and why we work so well, but its my anniversary and i got stuff to do lol

love yourself and dont try to force a relationship where one isnt there, those are the best ways imo to find someone compatible w u. let go of ur toxic masculinity too, thats also important. chuds.

Been a weird day.

I decided to, in a stint of curiosity, see what some of my old friends had been up to — ones I met before and over the pandemic — and seeing how life’s been treating them. This curiosity, regrettably, included my most recent ex.

Sometimes curiosity kills the cat, and in this case, I think that’s putting it lightly. My ex disappeared from damn near everything. I really need to exercise better self control and let bygones be bygones.

(I had a longer rant here, but decided to omit it for reasons.)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)