VGC Rate my VGC trick room Kyogre + Glastrier team

Hello all, this is my first post and as something of a newcomer to competitive play, I'd appreciate feedback on one of my first efforts at teambuilding, the team centers around getting trick room up safely and then dishing out as much damage as possible with Kyogre and Glastrier, so, without further ado.

Kyogre @ Mystic Water
Ability: Drizzle
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Water Spout
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Protect

Kyogre is the team's nuke, being slower than virtually any non trick-room team restricted mon and faster than trick room's premier choices, which usually gives it a chance to either get a huge water spout off as from the lead as the opponent set trick room, or come in mid to late game to clean house, seeing how it's usually able to pull of at least a Water Spout at full health, I found the bolt-beam coverage was more valuable than a secondary STAB move.

Mimikyu @ Babiri Berry
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick Room

The trick room setter of choice, Mimikyu's wonderful ability gives it an extra safety net to get the trick ballroom rolling, will-o-wisp shuts down physical sweepers, which proves specially useful against opossing trick room (and Glastrie's/Calyrex Ice tendency of wanting to switch in as trick room goes up), while dual STAB gives him a way to (admiteddly somewhat lightly) pressure the oposition, with Fairy and Ghost being such wonderful offensive types.

Amoonguss @ Coba Berry
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Clear Smog
- Foul Play
- Spore
- Rage Powder

A premier redirector and sleep inducer, Amoongus is wonderful as the extra help Mimikyu could need as a trick room setter, as well as a sturdy annoyance for the opponent, Clear Smog disrupts the ever dangerous set-up sweepers, while being specially valuable in the current meta due to dynamax's multiple status raises (and the ocassional side smog for status drops), while Foul Play pressures the many dark-weak mons of the meta, while being a good source of damage against most of the physical offensive threats.

Glastrier @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Chilling Neigh
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Close Combat
- High Horsepower
- Protect

The trick room monster himself, pretty standard set, while my team has no way of manually activating policy, Glastrier's sheer intimidation factor on trick room usually means your opponent wants it down as quickly as possible, as ignoring it is simply not an option because of its potential to just snowball and dismantle teams, that tends to mean super effective hits, and this icy horse's bulk is no joke, usually getting at least a turn of policy (and potentially chilling neigh) boosted damaged, wich is usually more than enough for blowing the right hole in the opponent's team.

Incineroar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 220 HP / 44 Atk / 76 Def / 168 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Darkest Lariat
- Fake Out
- Snarl

Arguably the best-non restriced of the format, Incineroar continues to be the swiss army mon, excelling at assisting your team get you in the best possible position, this set focuses on his survability while giving him a bit of an offensive presence, being more specially defensive and being a general annoyance with snarl.

Gigalith @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 SpD
Brave Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

An emergency weather setter to handle sun, allowing Kyogre the safety of waiting on the wings, as well as a bulky physical wall to most things not named Zacian, who still won't appreciate going against it in trick room, while being surprisingly sturdy on the special side thanks to the sandstorm, Gigalith provides the invaluable earthquake + rock slide combo, while Iron Defense + Body Press give it a path to becoming a valuable late game wincon if its checks are removed, a surprisingly valuable adition to the team.

So, that's the team, any feedback is greatly appreciated, have a lovely day y'all.

Giokio

#1 Nia simp
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hello all, this is my first post and as something of a newcomer to competitive play, I'd appreciate feedback on one of my first efforts at teambuilding, the team centers around getting trick room up safely and then dishing out as much damage as possible with Kyogre and Glastrier, so, without further ado.

Kyogre @ Mystic Water
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Water Spout
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Protect

Kyogre is the team's nuke, being slower than virtually any non trick-room team restricted mon and faster than trick room's premier choices, which usually gives it a chance to either get a huge water spout off as from the lead as the opponent set trick room, or come in mid to late game to clean house, seeing how it's usually able to pull of at least a Water Spout at full health, I found the bolt-beam coverage was more valuable than a secondary STAB move.

Mimikyu @ Babiri Berry
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick Room

The trick room setter of choice, Mimikyu's wonderful ability gives it an extra safety net to get the trick ballroom rolling, will-o-wisp shuts down physical sweepers, which proves specially useful against opossing trick room (and Glastrie's/Calyrex Ice tendency of wanting to switch in as trick room goes up), while dual STAB gives him a way to (admiteddly somewhat lightly) pressure the oposition, with Fairy and Ghost being such wonderful offensive types.

Amoonguss @ Coba Berry
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Clear Smog
- Foul Play
- Spore
- Rage Powder

A premier redirector and sleep inducer, Amoongus is wonderful as the extra help Mimikyu could need as a trick room setter, as well as a sturdy annoyance for the opponent, Clear Smog disrupts the ever dangerous set-up sweepers, while being specially valuable in the current meta due to dynamax's multiple status raises (and the ocassional side smog for status drops), while Foul Play pressures the many dark-weak mons of the meta, while being a good source of damage against most of the physical offensive threats.

Glastrier @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Chilling Neigh
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Close Combat
- High Horsepower
- Protect

The trick room monster himself, pretty standard set, while my team has no way of manually activating policy, Glastrier's sheer intimidation factor on trick room usually means your opponent wants it down as quickly as possible, as ignoring it is simply not an option because of its potential to just snowball and dismantle teams, that tends to mean super effective hits, and this icy horse's bulk is no joke, usually getting at least a turn of policy (and potentially chilling neigh) boosted damaged, wich is usually more than enough for blowing the right hole in the opponent's team.

Incineroar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 220 HP / 44 Atk / 76 Def / 168 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Darkest Lariat
- Fake Out
- Snarl

Arguably the best-non restriced of the format, Incineroar continues to be the swiss army mon, excelling at assisting your team get you in the best possible position, this set focuses on his survability while giving him a bit of an offensive presence, being more specially defensive and being a general annoyance with snarl.

Gigalith @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 SpD
Brave Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

An emergency weather setter to handle sun, allowing Kyogre the safety of waiting on the wings, as well as a bulky physical wall to most things not named Zacian, who still won't appreciate going against it in trick room, while being surprisingly sturdy on the special side thanks to the sandstorm, Gigalith provides the invaluable earthquake + rock slide combo, while Iron Defense + Body Press give it a path to becoming a valuable late game wincon if its checks are removed, a surprisingly valuable adition to the team.

So, that's the team, any feedback is greatly appreciated, have a lovely day y'all.
First of all, congrats on your first post! I love seeing new people trying to get into competitive.

Despite being your first building attempt, the team is really balanced and studied, it's not the most common thing and i think you can improve it a bit.

:Gigalith:
First of all Gigalith, i don't think it's suited for the team as it can take out your rain in the same way it can take out opposing sun, also rocky helmet is pretty useless in vgc 21 because there are few contact physical attackers and Dynamax moves don't do contact. His damage isn't impressive either and it can be easily threatened because its type isn't great either.
If you want to check sun tho you can always use safety goggles on Landorus-T or Rotom-H, as they can check most of sun mons.

:Mimikyu:
The second Pokémon i have to argue about is Mimikyu.
Mimikyu might be a guaranteed Trick Room setter, but keep in mind that after setting up the room it is basically useless because it's fast even with 0 Ivs speed, and would probably get outsped by slower mons. We've seen a raise of Porygon2's usage because it's versatile and really bulky, with moves such as Eerie Impulse and Ice Beam, another important tool to handle sun. It also
works better alongside Glastrier than Mimikyu does.

As a minor change i'd also suggest to put focus sash on Amoonguss instead of Coba Berry to handle the strong fire type attacks of Sun Teams.

I have no more Pokémon to discuss. As I said, the team is really strange but good on paper. I liked AV Incineroar very much because it reminds me of VGC19. Hope you can improve the team with my suggestions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)