Gen 4 Primeap in ubers

Raph369

UPL Champion
Team: https://pokepast.es/ddcd8995564008aa
Hi, this is a team that I have built myself and even if it's not perfect I think it's a good / fun team to use. If you have any advices, feel free to post it below :)

(Sorry for my poor english)

Ho-oh
Lead of the team. Ho-oh is very strong against mons with focus sash thanks to sacred fire, 50% to burn and ohko the majority of leads like deoxys, froslass etc... is really good. Ho oh can be strong later in the game if you spin rocks with forretress. Choice band allows Ho-oh to ohko latios, latias, garchomp scarf and Kyogre with brave bird. And sacred fire with sun and choice band destroy the entire metagame, no switch in. (252 Atk Choice Band Ho-Oh Sacred Fire vs. 112 HP / 8 Def Groudon in Sun: 273-322 (73.9 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO) Jolly is great to outspeed modest Kyogre, ada/modest Giratina-O, offensive Dialga.

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Earthquake
- Punishment

Primeap
Team Goat. Primeap checks very well darkrai thanks to his ability Vital Spirit and his type. Thanks to hight speed, Primeap with choice scarf outspeeds Darkrai and can easily kills him with Close combat or you can use u-turn. Primeap can also kill Dialga, Tyranitar, Kyogre Scarf or Specs, Heatran. Primeap outspeeds the majority of ubers. Fire punch does great damage with sun and OHKO Forrtress and 2HKO Bronzong.

??? (Primeape) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Fire Punch
- Outrage
- U-turn

some calcs: 252 SpA Darkrai Dark Pulse vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Primeape: 90-106 (32.1 - 37.8%) -- 94.8% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Primeape Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Darkrai: 408-480 (145.1 - 170.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Primeape Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kyogre: 204-240 (59.6 - 70.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Primeape Outrage vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 298-352 (98.6 - 116.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

Forretress

Forretress can spin, which is very important for Ho-oh. Put toxic spikes is really strong because the only way to remove toxic spikes is to spin, which is impossible as long Giratina-O is alive. Toxic is useful against ghost like Giratina-origin who's the only spin blocker in the metagame. Forre can check mons like latias/latios without hp fire, Garchomp, Dragons moves.... But watch out for steel type because you can't touch them with forre.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Protect

Giratina-Origin

This mon is everywhere in dpp ubers thanks to his ability to spin block the entire metagames. You can abuse hazards with forretress an groudon as long Giratina is alive. I use hp fire to ohko forretress, shadow sneak to damage Latios/Latias or revenge mons, and Outrage and Draco Meteor are two strong stabs to kill mon with low def/spedef. (Like Draco meteor on Groudon or Outrage on Kyogre). Strong against Kyogre.

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 Atk / 64 SpA / 196 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Outrage
- Shadow Sneak
- Draco Meteor

Groudon

Groudon is usefull thanks to hight def and sun. It's the stealth rock user in the team and can check Garchomp scarf, Rayquaza, Lucario, Dialga (defensive set), and Groudon brings sun against rain team. Toxic+earthquake is a really good combo, and overheat allows Groudon to destroy skarmory, which is very annoying for the team.

Groudon @ Leftovers
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Overheat
- Toxic
Latias

Latias is very important in the team because it checks very well all Kyogre sets. Calm mind allows Latias to sweep in late game. Recover is very good to switch into Kyogre and kills with grass knot. With 110 in speed, you can also outspeeds a lot of great mons like Palkia, Rayquaza, Garchomp, Ho-oh, Giratina, Dialga etc.... Sould dew gives Latias a very hight spAtt and spDef.

Latias (F) @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 112 HP / 188 SpA / 208 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Recover
- Grass Knot

Hey man, awesome to see a nice DPP Ubers team.

To be honest, my first intuitive thought when I saw this team was to actually replace the Primeape. I think a decent enough option for dealing with Darkrai is replacing Punishment on Ho-Oh with Sleep Talk, or switching to Sacred Fire / Brave Bird / Earthquake / Roost or Recover @ Lum Berry. This gives a decent enough Darkrai switchin (certainly better than most teams do), and allow you an extra space for something that packs a little more punch. I think in all honesty, something like a Darkrai would actually be a great fit in that slot, being able to threaten stuff like Giratina-O a lot more which are otherwise annoying for this team. Darkrai is also just super threatening in every game thanks to Dark Void - making some people even run niche mons like Primeape! ;)

However, I have a feeling you want to keep the Primeape to keep the team identity, and I think that's definitely fair! I think then we should focus on supporting Primeape's strengths, especially over similar Pokemon such as Heracross. I think the best way to make Primeape a good Pokemon in more games, and not just against Darkrai, is to let it U-turn spam efficiently. To do this, I would suggest Spikes > Toxic Spikes (or alternatively: Spikes / Toxic Spikes / Rapid Spin / Payback) on Forretress. Stealth Rock + Spikes can be so much more effective when spamming U-turn than just Stealth Rock.

In addition, we have to support Primeape's U-turns well by being able to deal with its switchins. Right now, Giratina-O and both Lati's (the latter less so because of U-turn) seem to match up well vs every single Pokemon on your team. That is not just a Primeape support problem by the way, but a general problem. I think it's definitely necessary to fit in a Pokémon on this team that is able to switch in on both of these (and to lesser extent, Lugia). Giratina-O in particular is in over half the teams I built and the same goes for many others, so you'll encounter it often.

Three options for this popped into my head:
  1. Dialga
  2. Darkrai
  3. a Pursuiter
The simplest is Dialga. It matches up well versus all these Pokémon and forces them out (or just 1v1's them). I think it's a reasonable replacement for Latias on this team, as a specially defensive Dialga is pretty decent versus Kyogre, especially if you bulk up Giratina-O for support. It also checks Dragon-type threats a lot better like Palkia, which are right now another very annoying threat for you.

Dialga @ Leftovers | Pressure
Calm | 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Dragon Pulse / Fire Blast / Toxic or Roar / Protect or Roar

I think this leaves you with a solid team (with some additional suggestions later on), but I've got two more ideas which I actually like more but are harder to fit. The next suggestions are more offensively based, with not as much defensive utility. I think for these slots the only option left to replace is Giratina-O: I think the other four slots are too important to replace. I think all things Giratina-O are managable with the rest of the team, except for spinblocking. This is then the tradeoff (although I think spinning is actually quite hard versus this team: Forretress can really only do it vs Latias and Kabutops isn't exactly great in sun if you play your cards right). Still, I think it might be worth trying out!

So, my second suggestion was Darkrai. I think this would be a great fit, all these problem Pokemon that are lured in by Primeape are so easily abused by Darkrai: Giratina-O, Latias, Latios, Lugia. All can't stay in versus Darkrai or just risk being outsped and KOed. It also brings a huge offensive threat and a wincon which is greatly appreciated here. Darkrai even loves Spikes too.

Darkrai @ Leftovers, Life Orb, or Salac Berry | Bad Dreams
Timid | 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Dark Void / Dark Pulse / Focus Blast or Nasty Plot / Substitute or Nasty Plot

And finally, I think a perfect fit on this team would be a Pursuiter. It does not synergize well with just Primeape, it also helps out Forretress, Ho-Oh and Groudon tremendously. Having a Pursuiter on this team is perfect for allowing Forretress to spin reliably and thus for Ho-Oh to function optimally. This is a huge boon for the team, and helps everything synergize well together. Primeape lures in Gira-O, U-turns to Pursuiter, traps or chips Gira-O, Forretress can spin, Ho-Oh can dismantle the opposing team, etc. Groudon also appreciates Giratina-O and Latias being gone as without them he is actually very threatening even with a defensive set. I wanted to use this opportunity to suggest Pursuit Darkrai but in all honesty I think Tyranitar is better here (Pursuit Rai is great and you can of course try it, but it can be a bit lackluster without Thunder). Either Band or Scarf works, I think Band is awesome in being able to threaten more damage but I expect Scarf to be more reliable here. It outspeeds Latios, Latias and Giratina-O so it can fire off a hit before being blasted with something like Draco Meteor. Importantly, it also gives you a check to Swords Dance Lucario (which right now you don't really have).

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf | Sand Stream
Jolly | 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Crunch / Pursuit / Stone Edge / Low Kick, Superpower or Earthquake

Anyway, I think you should try all three of these options and see which one you like best!

As for some smaller changes, I think it might be worth a try to change Groudon to a specially defensive spread with 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe and a Sassy nature, with Stealth Rock / Earthquake / Lava Plume / Roar, Thunder Wave or Toxic. Groudon actually has great typing for being a mixed wall, and this gives you some a more reliable Dialga switchin as well. Some additional changes that can help with this aspect is a more bulky spread on Ho-Oh (I use something like 136 HP / 252 Atk / 120 Spe but you could go even slower), or adding Draco Meteor > Dragon Pulse on Latias which allows you to lure in and smack Dialga with a +1 Draco Meteor. PS I'm sure you know Primeape better than me, but I would consider Punishment as a coverage option for Latios that doesn't lock itself in.

That's it, good luck with the team! Let me know if you wanna talk about ideas more.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)