SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword & Shield Pre-Release SPOILERS - Check Post 2!

Not gonna lie, Sirfetch'd's evolution method could be extremely annoying. If it's just "KO 3 Pokemon in total throughout its various battles" then it's piss easy. But if it's "KO 3 Pokemon in one battle", then what the fuck are you expected to do once you've gotten all the trainer battles in the game overwith?
I assume you can re-battle the elite 4?

Good thing Sirfetchd sucks because you're right, that sounds annoying.

So i wanted to take another look at Flapple here and um...oh god.

252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Sceptile-Mega Outrage vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 271-319 (89.1 - 104.9%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Black Sludge recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Sceptile-Mega Outrage vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 297-351 (97.6 - 115.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Black Sludge recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Sceptile-Mega Outrage vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Venusaur: 343-405 (94.2 - 111.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

-1 252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Sceptile-Mega Outrage vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 316-373 (95.4 - 112.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

This little apple is a demon...

So i wanted to take another look at Flapple here and um...oh god.

252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Sceptile-Mega Outrage vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 271-319 (89.1 - 104.9%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Black Sludge recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Sceptile-Mega Outrage vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 297-351 (97.6 - 115.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Black Sludge recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Sceptile-Mega Outrage vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Venusaur: 343-405 (94.2 - 111.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

-1 252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Sceptile-Mega Outrage vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 316-373 (95.4 - 112.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

This little apple is a demon...
Don't forget that Dynamax moves have perfect accuracy while still benefiting from Hustle as well!

Hustle Dracozolt with Bolt Beak is another scary looking monster.

So, does anybody know how far into the game you have to play to get the Tart/Sweet apples for evolving applin? I know you can get applin itself rather early on (lvl 16-18, iirc), but considering its... dismal movepool pre-evolution, I'd rather not have to tote it around in my party for most of the game.

So since Leon became the head of Battle Tower after we beat him does it open the possibility of speculation that some battle facility heads are previous Champions (taking into consideration Red and Blue also acted as ones?
From the current facility heads I can see Palmer being a prior Champion (maybe prior to Cynthia?)
What about the rest? People often gauge their Power to be somewhere around Elite 4-Champion level (for sure stronger than Gym Leaders).
What are your thoughts?

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
So, does anybody know how far into the game you have to play to get the Tart/Sweet apples for evolving applin? I know you can get applin itself rather early on (lvl 16-18, iirc), but considering its... dismal movepool pre-evolution, I'd rather not have to tote it around in my party for most of the game.
some time between the 3rd and 4th gyms, I read

Grain of salt and what not, but this is unfurling in an interesting way considering GF is allowing people to cancel pre-orders
Speaking as someone who works in the games industry in a role that would handle this sort of import script stuff (tools programmer), I can tell you that this fanfiction was definitely written by someone who has no idea how anything works. I can't believe people are falling for this garbage, especially when you can find all these models on modding sites and people have put them in various other games like GTA and skyrim.

Besides, people have datamined the models now and they're exactly the same as the ones from the 3ds.

The first reviews have been released, and they are positive so far and gamespot gave the game a 9/10. Some of the big takeaways are how good the wild area is, raids are fun and the quality of life changes are awesome like the decreased need for repels, auto-saving, healing, and of course the streamlined entrance into competitive pokemon.
Edit: They came out around 9-9:15 est. IGN handed out a 9.3

Last edited:
The first reviews have been released, and they are positive so far and gamespot gave the game a 9/10. Some of the big takeaways are how good the wild area is, raids are fun and the quality of life changes are awesome like the decreased need for repels, auto-saving, healing, and of course the streamlined entrance into competitive pokemon.
Edit: They came out around 9-9:15 est
I've actually posted all the ones I could gather from Serebii in the "official news" post.

They're not. IGN is basically the only "overally positive" one.

I've actually posted all the ones I could gather from Serebii in the "official news" post.

Correct. IGN is pretty generous. Gamespot has been extremely hard on Pokémon games before. Black and White 2 got a measly 6.5/10 from them and the first games weren’t too much better iirc. Gamespot is the opposite of easy going on Pokémon.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor

Since when were 9s and 8s not a positive review? Seems pretty normal for Pokémon, although all I can immediately remember is the ORAS “too much water” meme.

Since when were 9s and 8s not a positive review? Seems pretty normal for Pokémon, although all I can immediately remember is the ORAS “too much water” meme.
My "not positive" was referring to the fact almost all reviews does criticize the issues they havent fixed that we already know.

Nowadays it's nearly impossible for a game to get below 7, for actual mainline pokemon games to get less than 9 it is a pretty bad score in my eyes.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
My "not positive" was referring to the fact almost all reviews does criticize the issues they havent fixed that we already know.

Nowadays it's nearly impossible for a game to get below 7, for actual mainline pokemon games to get less than 9 it is a pretty bad score in my eyes.
Sun and moon also got an 8 from gamespot, XY has an 88 average, the average ballpark for these games review scores are around 80-90 it seems, SwSh doesn’t seem like a (significant) drop

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Sun and moon also got an 8 from gamespot, XY has an 88 average, the average ballpark for these games review scores are around 80-90 it seems, SwSh doesn’t seem like a (significant) drop
Just curious, what about scores for BW2 and prior? Is there an overall drop-off from the 2D to 3D era? Not trying to gather ammunition to bash 3D Pokemon as a whole (I have already stated multiple times my adoration for Gen 7), just curious

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
Just curious, what about scores for BW2 and prior? Is there an overall drop-off from the 2D to 3D era? Not trying to gather ammunition to bash 3D Pokemon as a whole (I have already stated multiple times my adoration for Gen 7), just curious
B2W2 has an 80% on metacritic, worse than XY lol
Diamond and Pearl have an 85%
Platinum is an 83%

not seeing a trend here in terms of quality (at least how we see it) and score

I just skimmed through the IGN review and the Eurogamer review.
The IGN review sounded like an ad. Calling the games the best Pokémon games ever and barely mentioning anything negative. I have a hard time believing that it deserves 9.3 while ORAS got 7.8.
It was surprising to see a review as critical as the Eurogamer one. No score yet though.

I have the feeling the high scores are coming almost exclusively because of the Wild Area. Just because it's a tiny bit of open world, and open world is the current trend. I bet that you could make a horrible game with an open world right now, and it'd get positive reviews.

Last edited:
I just skimmed through the IGN review and the Eurogamer review.
The IGN review sounded like an ad. Calling the games the best Pokémon games ever and barely mentioning anything negative. I have a hard time believing that it deserves 9.3 while ORAS got 7.8.
It was surprising to see a review as critical as the Eurogamer one. No score yet though.
You should read the comments lol

Well the whole “it’s a failure of below 9/10” is a huge issue. Reviewers should have no qualms about passing out 7s and below. Compared to games that have something meaningful to say, challenge our beliefs, and revolutionalize gaming technology, and bring new mechanics to games that were thought to be impossible, Pokémon can easily be a 7 comparatively.

Even competitively it’s always hard to justify anything higher than 7 or 8 since the process of playing comp has always been extremely roundabout. Compared to a game that you can launch and immediately start practicing competitive within minutes, how can any reviewer expect to shower the games with praise, especially when all the mechanics that allow you to customize your Pokémon’s stats (until Sw/Sh) have been hidden in the code? I’d give that a 7 easily.

However a 7 doesn’t and has never meant “bad.” That’s just been ingrained within us thanks to school grades, which are measuring our understanding of a profession. A 59% is a failing grade because you can’t graduate and become a doctor who’s right 59% of the time. But a game that is fun 70% of the time? That can work. It literally says “good” below any 7/10 reviews because that’s what it means. Even rotten tomatoes has tons of movies that get 6/10s but are still certified as “fresh” and recommended by critics... and that’s because it’s a measure of how much of the experience was enjoyable, and not a school grade.

Reviews are meaningless if the critics are too afraid of being honest because of inevitable backlash if the score numbers aren’t high enough. Don’t regard anything below an 9/10 a “failure.” That’s just a school grade mindset, and it makes reviewers feel forced to basically li about their true feelings to appease the mob.

trubbish

Banned deucer.
Damn. I put too much trust in reviewers to trash this game more than they are.
Is it weird to want a game to get bad reviews? I mean, for all its worth, I want this game to be good. I want it to be an amazing, extremely fun adventure. So, I should want it to get good reviews right?

But at the same time... Game Freak or Nintendo or whoever needs to wake up. There is so much that we've just seen from trailers that seem so unacceptable in this day and age, that I really don't understand how people continue to defend them. And I see a lot of memes on twitter and whatnot calling Pokemon fans 'crybabies' and whatnot, or saying a lot of what people are complaining about are non-issues. Like, the 'Ocarina of Time tree' or the Wailord scaling. But to me its not really about those issues *specifically* its what these things represent. I've been playing Pokemon for over 20 years now, and forever I have been the staunchest of defenders of whatever Game Freak peddles out. But I just can't keep defending the games, saying 'oh its just Pokemon' or 'its Pokemon, of course it does X.' And its not because I hate Pokemon, on the contrary, I love these games. They mean the world to me, but thats why I can't keep defending them. I WANT them to be good more than anything, and the current trends I see, and have been seeing since 2013, have been pushing the series in the opposite direction. And for some reason the majority does not seem to care! Its always "its Pokemon... it'll be atleast a fun game..."

But tell me, at what point will the games go 'too far?' Would these textures, the rehashed mechanics and cut content and reused models fly in any other game series? What does the series have to do for everyone to turn around on it- like Bioware's Anthem? Do we have to wait until TPCI forces in microtransacations and season-pass DLCs? Pokemon Lootboxes? I worry we won't know until its too late.

/rant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)