Pokemon Quest discussion thread

This thread is where all discussion related to Pokemon Quest goes.
For anyone wondering, this is free to play with in-app purchases, can currently be downloaded on the Nintendo Switch, and will release on mobile on June 27th. It's kinda hard to explain how the game plays, but i'm sure another community member can help out. More will probably be added to the OP as time goes on.

(Please note I am only starting the thread. I will most likely not be able to answer all of your questions, though I might answer some)

I am still looking for any place where they have investigated / found out some of the game mechanics.

It is kind of a shame that the game is SO obscure for a player (and arguably, certain parts are very questionably designed even for a "mobile" game)

For example, does the typing of the Pokemon and Moves actually matter aside from the Stab bonus (this one is mentioned in the tutorial section)? It SEEMS that supereffective/notveryeffective does happen as my fire attacks did nothing to Ninetales boss while my Ivysaur got murdered horribly, but this could just be a impression of mine?

(That also if true leads me to question some of the level design, why do you suggest and give a bonus for using, say, flying pokemon if the area is going to be full of Fire types?)

I am still looking for any place where they have investigated / found out some of the game mechanics.

It is kind of a shame that the game is SO obscure for a player (and arguably, certain parts are very questionably designed even for a "mobile" game)

For example, does the typing of the Pokemon and Moves actually matter aside from the Stab bonus (this one is mentioned in the tutorial section)? It SEEMS that supereffective/notveryeffective does happen as my fire attacks did nothing to Ninetales boss while my Ivysaur got murdered horribly, but this could just be a impression of mine?

(That also if true leads me to question some of the level design, why do you suggest and give a bonus for using, say, flying pokemon if the area is going to be full of Fire types?)
There is some information about this game on pokemon's website. It said that type match ups are not in the game. Still does anyone know what the shiny rate is? I believe shinys are more common then they were in the main series games. I have gotten 3 shinys so far and I have had the game for less than a week. I have a shiny Meowth that I kind of want to use to grind up one of my other pokemon's levels but I don't want to do that if it turns out shinys are rare and I've been extremely lucky.

Still is it just me or is the AI that controls your pokemon an idiot? I have an Eevee, Growlithe and Pidgeotto on my team. In theory my Eevee and Growlithe take the front line while Pidgeotto stays back and conserves health so Eevee and Growlithe can revive from fainting. In practice Eevee and Growlithe focus on one pokemon while Pidgeotto is swarmed, Pidgeotto doesn't move when I press the scatter button or does only to run back into the boss's attack or just tries to run into a wall.

There is some information about this game on pokemon's website. It said that type match ups are not in the game.
That'd not go well with one of the ingame tips literally suggesting to have various types of moves in your team to deal with all situations: if type matchup is not in game how does the type of the moves I use matter?

That'd not go well with one of the ingame tips literally suggesting to have various types of moves in your team to deal with all situations: if type matchup is not in game how does the type of the moves I use matter?
I don't have that much of an idea. Either one of the sources doesn't know the mechanics of the game or they were talking about type bonus or what effects the moves have.

I'm really hoping that it refers to effects, because if the type matchup IS actually in game, on top of being obscure af, it also makes some level designs atrociously questionable (es, one of the levels in the 6 area, recommends Bug pokes, it's filled with fire and flying enemies)

BP

Upper Decky Lip Mints
is a Contributor to Smogon
So this game is a lot of fun and I enjoy it. I currently have 6 statues and my team rn is Venusaur (level 32) Dugtrio ( level 29) and Shiny Farfetch'd (Level 27)

Edit: Yea I actually found that quite questionable as well regarding the type bonuses and what not. The game is very confusing. One Thing I'm interested in is what the probability for getting a shiny is because I had a shiny Rhyhorn along with my Farfetch'd. Unfortunately I used Rhyhorn for training because I needed the boost for my at the time bulbasaur.

It looks to me so far that lvl 30-ish is when you really hit the first grindblock: the jump in level is massive and i don't know if it's a better plan to insist in training the mons i'm using or just wait for some other stronger ones to appear instead.

BP

Upper Decky Lip Mints
It looks to me so far that lvl 30-ish is when you really hit the first grindblock: the jump in level is massive and i don't know if it's a better plan to insist in training the mons i'm using or just wait for some other stronger ones to appear instead.
I would begin training immediately to be honest. That's what I've been doing and I've been breezing through the game. I'm quite confused however on how you evolve Pokemon like Kadabra or Nidorina/Nidorino. Pokemon that evolve by stones or by trading in general just confuse me.

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
Every Pokémon evolves by level up. My Poliwhirl evolved at level 36 and I'd imagine that it's the same for all stage 2s who evolve through trading/stones.

There's STAB (not sure on the multiplier but I'd guess it's a bit like PoGo) and IVs, but no EVs (afaik) and no type matchups. The only benefit typing gives is from the stage bonuses (for example, First Steppe boosts fighting types).

You want to keep cooking and you'll probably be replacing your older mons with newer ones. The higher tier of pot you use, the better the pokemon. This means that it's harder to form attachments to your party, which is a bit of a shame (it's not like PMD or a main series game). Imo there's no point training for the first few stages, once you get the Silver pot you can get stuff up to level 70 (I believe) and you can train those if you want.

The game feels a bit like a weird hybrid of Go/PMD/Magikarp Jump, with Minecraft graphics.

r/PokemonQuest has a fair bit of good information; there's a really useful Google doc (link) which describes moves and such.

BP

Upper Decky Lip Mints
Silver pot you can get stuff up to level 70 (I believe)
This is true. I pulled a level 70 Diglett. Furthermore I kept my beginning bulbasaur and its doing very well. Its the weakest attack wise but it has over 1000 health which is great for ensuring my teams longevity. Furthermore it has synthesis which boosts its attack stat and when its given the Sharing Stone the Whole team becomes really strong. My strongest Pokemon attack wise is my dugtrio with 1604 attack.

This is true. I pulled a level 70 Diglett. Furthermore I kept my beginning bulbasaur and its doing very well. Its the weakest attack wise but it has over 1000 health which is great for ensuring my teams longevity. Furthermore it has synthesis which boosts its attack stat and when its given the Sharing Stone the Whole team becomes really strong. My strongest Pokemon attack wise is my dugtrio with 1604 attack.
One of the variations is that apparently the kind of stones you can use is not fixed, in same way as the moves. So you can by extend get a Bulbasaur with 9 hp stones, or 9 strenght stones, or any mix.

Talk about RNG based game...

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I like this game.
I'm playing it everyday.
My boyfriend hates it though, he doesn't even want to download it, lol.

Got a shiny Machoke, but it's only level 4, so I'm not using it to fight.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Talk about RNG based game...
Just about. Getting the right poke from the pot, with the right assortment of slots, preferrably only with one moveslot, preferrably at a high level, is a mathematical nightmare at times, and even then there's further layers about getting the right move, or even good IVs/bonuses. Still, the fact that otherwise terrible mons can still manage somewhat fine in this setting is what drew me to the game. Just beat Mewtwo with this team:

After surviving all this, I suppose some of my general advice would be....

• Know your recipes. Good versions (2nd tier) of Stony Soup and Mud Pie in particular can yield Onixes, which are very helpful early game since obtaining 1 stagers can be rare, and given its high health, it means it can stay alive during tough fights while your other pokes take time to regenerate. Most mons are usable but evolves late, once you get the silver pot you'll get mons with high enough levels where you only need to level them up once or twice to evolve them completely.
    • Too late did I realise that practically all good recipes require Honey, so I wouldn't use too much of that in the early levels and instead wait until you get the Silver pot so that you can get high levelled mons that could potentially carry you rest of the main plotline.
    • Other good recipes would be Sludge Soup and Veggie Smoothie, former can net you Zubats (evolves early, might know Supersonic) and Grimers (general utility and great with Acid Armor, see above picture), while the latter can yield Exeggcutes that can learn Psychic as a base stage and only gets more fearsome upon evolving.
    • Basically, use Onix and Onix only.
  • Type bonuses are actually a big deal. If you're getting floored by a particular level, try cooking up a type specific recipe and then see how you fare with it on the team, that extra HP/Atk can be clutch sometimes.
  • I bought all the cheap drop boosters from the tickets you earn easily in the beginning (eeveelution cushions and the Dodrio tent), but I'm genuinely unsure how much they matter since most of my rewards were still in the single digits (also heard a rumor that the game rounds 1.5 boosts down, so a 1 drop boosted to 1.5 will still just be one), so try and save up for the stuff that doubles the yields or other handy effects. Currently trying to earn myself the Ditto balloons, gonna take some time.
  • Never found much use for Level Up training. Probably helpful end-game, but if you're like me and didn't make any expedition purchases, you're gonna be stuck with one mon for each pot you cook, so try to spend your leftover mons on Move Learning in case you get a good mon that could be perfect with the right move.
Got a shiny Machoke, but it's only level 4
I have questions.

I am too busy QQing that while trying to change moves on my Golem it decided to learn Explosion and now it's basically unusable until I get some more Onixes or Geodudes to sacrifice to the RNG gods :(
As well as me rolling a Exeggcute with Psychic + Syntesis but it has 7 out of 9 HP tokens.. I guess at least it won't die.

On side note, I recall reading that there's a way to automatically use a recipe that you already learned, but I can't find how, using "auto fill" always puts random items.... Maybe you know it?

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I recall reading that there's a way to automatically use a recipe that you already learned, but I can't find how, using "auto fill" always puts random items.... Maybe you know it?
I tried that once, but iirc it didn't fit the recipe I had selected so I never went through with it, I have a tab of that recipe image open in my Chrome app so it's easily accessible as I haven't memorised the ingredients.

As well as me rolling a Exeggcute with Psychic + Syntesis but it has 7 out of 9 HP tokens.. I guess at least it won't die.
I have one of those too! The damage was rather pitiful even as Exeggutor, so I ended up going back to my Onix knowing Rock Throw since that one had more slots for attack stones.
Basically, use Onix and Onix only.

I need help. I can't decide which Dragonair to evolve; one has better bingo bonuses (-15 to dragon type move wait, resistance to ailments) but the other has virtually all multislots. I'm seriously torn. It's a pain the butt leveling, so I don't wanna pick one to power up only to have second thoughts later.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
the other has virtually all multislots
Unsure why this is an argument by itself. Multi slots makes it easier to get the right balance between health and attack, so if the other dragonair with the good bonuses also has the right stone slots you want, then the choice should be clear. Good luck getting the move you want though, just had to give up on a perfect Starmie because the game wouldn't give me Hydro Pump.

Unsure why this is an argument by itself. Multi slots makes it easier to get the right balance between health and attack, so if the other dragonair with the good bonuses also has the right stone slots you want, then the choice should be clear. Good luck getting the move you want though, just had to give up on a perfect Starmie because the game wouldn't give me Hydro Pump.
Well, the one the good bonuses and only one attack has no multislots, so I can't respec for health or attack if I want to. I'm just unsure which trait is better overall for gameplay, is all. Does that make sense? Both are really nice, and I don't want two dragonites as I want to keep my perfect Snorlax and I'm happy with Lapras as my bulky support.

Right?? I just chewed through all my disposable pokes trying to get Blastoise to learn hydro pump. This fuggen' game...
I must have been particularly cruel to puppyes in another life to deserve a Golem that has crippling depression and a Snorlax that REALLY wants to Play Rhough things with people. :|

I must have been particularly cruel to puppyes in another life to deserve a Golem that has crippling depression and a Snorlax that REALLY wants to Play Rhough things with people. :|
LOL!! Sorry, just, that imagery of a depressed Golem. "Eh...I could throw rocks at you, but why bother..."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)