Pokémon Movepool Oddities & Explanations

I think Kinesis is mainly a exception due to it being pretty iconic to Kadabra/Alakazam's design.

Steamroller itself isn't exactly anything special.
It’s not just Kinesis; there’s quite a lot of returning signature moves in Isle. That’s just the first one that came to mind.

There’s also for instance Accelerock, Dragon Hammer, Shore Up, Head Charge and Floral Healing; which are arguably just as important to their Pokémon as Steamroller.

Also Fleur Cannon despite Floette not being added back yet. Hm.

It’s not just Kinesis; there’s quite a lot of returning signature moves in Isle. That’s just the first one that came to mind.
I specifically referred Kinesis because it's the only one (as far as I know) that actually was dexited then returned.
The others were regularly available in-game (sometimes lacking animations or buggy like Fairy Lock which crashed the game, but were there). Kinesis was flagged as unusable and got "reintegrated".

There’s also for instance Accelerock, Dragon Hammer, Shore Up, Head Charge and Floral Healing; which are arguably just as important to their Pokémon as Steamroller.

Also Fleur Cannon despite Floette not being added back yet. Hm.
Fleur Cannon wasnt Floette's move, its Magearna

Floette's is Light of Ruin

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
I'd argue all of those moves are significantly more viable than Steamroller (except maybe Dragon Hammer, which is viable in a vacuum but wasted on Eggy) and it makes sense why they'd return compared to Steamroller. Some of the listed moves are even integral to those mon's function, like Shore Up or Accelrock.

Kinesis is really the only comparable move (both are absolute ass) but at least Kinesis has a unique effect. Steamroller is just a Stomp clone.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Kinesis is really the only comparable move (both are absolute ass) but at least Kinesis has a unique effect. Steamroller is just a Stomp clone.
That's a fair point given that a lot of "equivalent" moves were dexited:

Mud Sport & Water Sport
Smellingsalt & Wake-up Slap
Foresight & Odor Sleuth
Heal Block & Embargo
Sonicboom & Dragon Rage

Feels a bit like a streamlining.

What's odd is that they cut Signal Beam given that Platinum made it a move tutor and gave it to dozens of Pokemon, especially ones that benefited from having a Special Bug move. It felt a lot like a move that was "in vogue" at the time since loads of Pokemon in the Frontier had it and it was often recommended on Smogon sets; I wondered if it was some designer had a fondness for the move or something. Apparently not any more though!

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
What's odd is that they cut Signal Beam given that Platinum made it a move tutor and gave it to dozens of Pokemon, especially ones that benefited from having a Special Bug move. It felt a lot like a move that was "in vogue" at the time since loads of Pokemon in the Frontier had it and it was often recommended on Smogon sets; I wondered if it was some designer had a fondness for the move or something. Apparently not any more though!
The loss of Signal Beam puzzled me too. On my Ultra Moon run, around half my Pokémon ended up using it, since it could be tutored cheaply on the first or second island. It provided great coverage to Pokémon such as Klink, Vespiquen, or Clefairy. It's a move with such great distribution that it's really strange they chose to remove it. Sort of like Feint Attack, Mud Bomb, or Ominous Wind. So good for in-game for so many Pokémon, yet removed nonetheless.

Also, a lot of the moves they cut were probably cut for being really bad, or being worse versions of other moves that stuck around, I think.

A lot of the purged moves were surprising (Pursuit? Return? Hidden Power?!) while others weren't (I don't expect many people will miss Wring Out or Magnitude).
Honestly, Hidden Power wasn't surprising. The move's mechanics are a disaster.

“Movexit” is a bit of a joke when, yeah, most moves are ones that are really obscure and useless or just very redundant. If removing Bubble, Mud Sport and Lucky Chant gives space for more important stuff... yeah, I’m all for that. What a lot of people don’t realise too is that half the list is literally the Z-moves and the LGPE partner moves; so rather than over 100 moves cut it’s really more like ~70.

Besides those there’s also Pursuit, Hidden Power and Return/Frustration which are clearly due to balancing reasons and the mechanics of obtaining them. While I might not agree entirely (especially with Pursuit), I do understand it.

But then there’s certain cases that, yeah, are a bit mystifying. Dragon Rage was always a really fun in-game move for baby dragons to spam; Signal Beam was a really cool coverage move and probably the best application of a move’s flavour being the main factor in distribution rather than type; and Heal Order... is just strange when Vespiquen’s other signatures are still in the game and is a cool facet of it even if it’s never used over roost. There’s a couple more like this; ones that were just neat and is a shame to see go.

The loss of Signal Beam puzzled me too. On my Ultra Moon run, around half my Pokémon ended up using it, since it could be tutored cheaply on the first or second island. It provided great coverage to Pokémon such as Klink, Vespiquen, or Clefairy. It's a move with such great distribution that it's really strange they chose to remove it. Sort of like Feint Attack, Mud Bomb, or Ominous Wind. So good for in-game for so many Pokémon, yet removed nonetheless.
I think the reason Signal Beam was removed is that outside of USUM usually it was relegated to postgame or significant off-tracking in order to get it on your story pokemon, and when it came to actual postgame, let's be honest, noone has used Signal Beam in last 4 or so gens.
Lot of the mons that would use it for the sake of coverage got better moves this gen as well.

Yes, it definitely did provide stuff in the past.. but that's indeed the past. As I said above, I doubt any pokemon has actually included Signal Beam in their competitive moveset or even facility moveset in the last 3 gens.

They figured it basically had boiled down to be a worse version of Bug Buzz stuck on being mostly a tutor move, so pointless to keep it around.

QuentinQuonce

I think the reason Signal Beam was removed is that outside of USUM usually it was relegated to postgame or significant off-tracking in order to get it on your story pokemon, and when it came to actual postgame, let's be honest, noone has used Signal Beam in last 4 or so gens.
Lot of the mons that would use it for the sake of coverage got better moves this gen as well.

Yes, it definitely did provide stuff in the past.. but that's indeed the past. As I said above, I doubt any pokemon has actually included Signal Beam in their competitive moveset or even facility moveset in the last 3 gens.

They figured it basically had boiled down to be a worse version of Bug Buzz stuck on being mostly a tutor move, so pointless to keep it around.
The issue with that is that numerous Pokemon which could learn Signal Beam cannot learn Bug Buzz. It's not a case of it just being a weaker version (like Psychic/Psybeam or Bubblebeam/Bubble). It was a coverage option which lots of Pokemon (Espeon is the first example off the top of my head) appreciated, and hardly an obscure or niche one.

Like I said in my original post, moves like Wring Out are less likely to be missed, but Signal Beam will be.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Yes, but the game needs that "worse version of Bug Buzz" for in-game purposes. Even if moves don't hang around to be used on competitive sets, they serve some purpose mid-way through your journey to bridge the gap between weakling early-game moves and powerful end-game moves. I mean, a 'mon can't stick with Infestation as its only Bug STAB until level 50, but if it's replaced with Bug Buzz at level 25, what's left for it to do at level 50? Instead of leaving it an end-game tutor move, they should have made it more available towards the late middle of the game.

QuentinQuonce

You know what, I got bored and decided to look at all the cut moves and try to rationalise why each was taken out (ignoring signature moves). No idea if someone already did the same thing 30 pages back and I'm not going to check now after having written this, so get ready for one heck of a long list:
  • Karate Chop, Dizzy Punch, Sky Uppercut, Rock Climb, Mud Bomb & Chip Away - yeah there are probably alternative moves for these not to be missed
  • Double Slap, Spike Cannon, & Comet Punch - all multi-strike Normal moves. There's a few other ones of this sort so not a big loss
  • Razor Wind - bit of an odd one to cut, but not a particularly well-remembered move; kind of had its heyday in gen 1 tbh
  • Jump Kick & Rolling Kick - probably seen as redundant given the existence of several other kicking moves
  • Twineedle - enough Bug moves for this not to be missed
  • Sonic Boom & Dragon Rage - both fixed-damage moves which caused more trouble than they were worth. Makes sense
  • Meditate - always had odd distribution and most Pokemon that got it probably had better things to do or better ways to boost
  • Rage - a gen 1 classic, and an odd choice to cut. I guess the rationale was that there are better Normal moves around
  • Barrier - another weird choice, but another move with odd distribution so not a major loss
  • Bide - another move that had its spotlight in Gen I and was rarely seen afterwards.
  • Mirror Move - an interesting move with decent distribution, I'm not sure why this was chopped
  • Egg Bomb & Barrage - EDIT: one is Exeggutor's signature move and the former is heavily associated with it, but it has a new signature move now so that may have been why they were dropped
  • Bone Club - Marowak's signature move, but not as good as Earthquake and the Alolan form has Shadow Bone so not a loss
  • Clamp - Inferior to Whirlpool, I guess?
  • Constrict - no one ever used this move. I was surprised to learn it had a secondary effect tbh
  • Bubble & Signal Beam - discussed above
  • Flash - the OG HM but no longer needed
  • Psywave - refer to Bide's rationale
  • Sharpen - the Pory line has a far superior signature move in Conversion/Conversion2 and this doesn't help it
  • Spider Web - seems a bit unfair to cut this but it might return with Ariados
  • Nightmare - a personal favourite of mine but very obscure
  • Feint Attack & Punishment - slightly odd choices to cut but Dark has a fair few weak moves so both were probably considered redundant
  • Foresight/Odor Sleuth & Miracle Eye - another weird choice to cut but there are a fair few Abilities like Scrappy around and most Normal-types have a way to hit Ghosts by now. Same logic goes for Miracle Eye re Psychic-types
  • Return/Frustration, Hidden Power & Pursuit - likely for balance as discussed
  • Magnitude - redundant given all the other Ground moves, but often fun to use in-game nonetheless
  • Smelling Salts & Wake-up Slap - spiritual siblings. Not sure why these were taken out given that they're designed to encourage strategy
  • Assist - quite fun to use in-game. Seems a shame to bin this
  • Refresh, Camouflage & Snatch - I have no idea at all why these were cut
  • Secret Power - functionally almost the same as Nature Power (I never got why they were separate moves)
  • Mud Sport & Water Sport - not particularly useful since weakening Electric moves is redundant if you're already a Ground-type, and most Water-types don't need damage from Fire-type moves reduced
  • Ice Ball - I guess there are better Ice moves, but not sure why this was cut if Rollout was kept
  • Grass Whistle - last couple of generations made Powder moves more associated with Grass so it might have been related to that
  • Natural Gift - odd choice to cut but probably for balance reasons similar to Hidden Power
  • Embargo - probably considered inferior to Knock Off
  • Trump Card - odd move with weird distribution, unlikely to be missed
  • Heal Block - perhaps for balance reasons? Not sure why this move needed cutting otherwise
  • Wring Out - discussed
  • Lucky Chant, Me First & Captivate - all niche but entirely usable moves, seem like very odd choices to cut. Not sure about these
  • Mirror Shot & Magnet Bomb - most things that learn these get Flash Cannon and Iron Head/Tail anyway
  • Heal Order - there's a theme emerging of them limiting Pokemon which formerly had more than one signature move. Vespiquen gets Roost anyway
  • Silver Wind, Ominous Wind & Flame Burst - slight shame to these given their cool effects, but virtually everything gets better options
  • Telekinesis - Gravity performs a similar function to this, probably considered redundant. I always confuse this with Ally Switch, which I'm surprised was kept since Triple Battles aren't a thing any more
  • Synchronoise - absurdly niche, even in Pokemon Go
  • Sky Drop - oh thank god. This move caused so much trouble. I bet the developers were dying to see the back of it
  • Bestow - overlaps a bit with Trick/Switcheroo, but weird that this was dropped when other item moves weren't
  • Heart Stamp - bit of a weird one, but literally nothing that learned this could use it well except for (checks notes) Miltank?!
  • Steamroller - discussed
  • Rototiller - obscure but perhaps cut for balance reasons? Not sure about this one
  • Ion Deluge - there are moves and abilities that have the same effect (Galvanise, Plasma Fists) so the thinking was probably to make those more niche
  • Spotlight - wow, the sole Gen VII move that got dropped. Interestingly, Gen VIII introduced a few moves and abilities (Snipe Shot, Stalwart, Propeller Tail) that ignore misdirection effects like this one. Wonder if that's related to why this was cut?

Most of the moves on this list confirm my thinking that the vast majority of cut moves were taken out to neaten up the list and avoid redundancy. There are a few oddballs on the list, but in general most of them aren't hugely surprising.

Last edited:
Barrage - neither is Exeggutor's signature move
Uhh Exeggutor family is the only thing with Barrage.
Smelling Salts & Wake-up Slap - spiritual siblings. Not sure why these were taken out given that they're designed to encourage strategy
Smelling Salts was on just Makuhitha, and that is gone now so...
As for Wake-Up-Slap, nothing really used it in the first place.
Assist - quite fun to use in-game. Seems a shame to bin this
If I recall correctly, this move was used in the past to perform some really interestingly stupid combos in battles. Probably got cut for these to not exist.
Refresh, Camouflage & Snatch - I have no idea at all why these were cut
I'm not sure why Snatch is gone, but Refresh was mostly redundant and there were better ways to get status cures. Camoflauge meanwhile, has low distribution and doesn't really make its way into movesets.
Ice Ball - I guess there are better Ice moves, but not sure why this was cut if Rollout was kept
Low distribution mostly.
Heal Block - perhaps for balance reasons? Not sure why this move needed cutting otherwise
Nothing really uses Heal Block and there's better ways to take on stall.

Most other takes I agree with.

The issue with that is that numerous Pokemon which could learn Signal Beam cannot learn Bug Buzz. It's not a case of it just being a weaker version (like Psychic/Psybeam or Bubblebeam/Bubble). It was a coverage option which lots of Pokemon (Espeon is the first example off the top of my head) appreciated, and hardly an obscure or niche one.
And i'm talking of practical use.

Most of those mons required to go out of your way to get a 1 use TM, or later on, relegated to post-game tutors.

If GF takes their "move usage" data off VGC, good chance it was never seen on a single pokemon.

You can pull the "obscure but usable niche" as much as you want, but outside of the depth of PU (which remember, doesn't exist as far as GF goes), none of those pokemon was ever used in postgame nor competitive gameplay to begin with.

I imagine all those Electric-types that lost access to Hidden Power Ice or Fire would appreciate something to hit Grass-types, especially since Electric-types usually have shit coverage options.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Maybe that's why they removed it. It was TOO widespread for a coverage move. Why need a Bug-type when you can likely catch a Pokemon that can learn Signal Beam.

Honestly, Hidden Power wasn't surprising. The move's mechanics are a disaster.
Not a disaster until they introduced the Fairy-type. When Fairy was introduced they didn't bother re-doing HP to that Type, kind of going against the point of Hidden Power. Plus it gave any Special Attacker an okay coverage move while Physical Attackers were left with nothing.

Not sure how heavily affected the metagame was of its removal, but I imagine a batch of Pokemon now needing to look for a new Move for their competitive sets. The only big issue of its removal is concerning Unown as it was the ONLY move Unown knew. If they were to bring back Unown I imagine they would do one of the following:
  • Bring back Hidden Power BUT it only works for Unown. One may say probably the easiest solution, though at the same time means Unown would still be kind of useless as it already is. Dexit has given GF the chance to take a closer look at returning Pokemon and I'd imagine if they were to bring Unown back they'd feel they would need to do something more with it. Also I'd imagine they would want to redo Hidden Power if they bring it back which I'll mention below.
  • Give Unown all the "Power" moves. As in Ancient Power, Cosmic Power, Earth Power, Extrasensory ("Supernatural Power" in Japan), Nature Power, Power Split, Power Swap, Secret Power, Stored Power, & Superpower. Now, this STILL wouldn't really help Unown, but hey at least it's more to work with than a single move.
  • Give Unown a new Signature Move. Now this is probably the more attracting to GF. They're likely not going to touch Unown's stats or Ability, so probably only way to make it "better" is with a Signature Move and maybe new item. Since Unown are stronger together, I'd say make it so that if there's two more more Unown in your party the item/Signature move strengthen Unown & lets it hit hard. "But you can't use it in competitive/Battle Facilities then". Well they could make an exception for Unown to let you use multiple, though honestly I'd say time would be better spent making it fun to use personally in-game.
Now if they do bring back Hidden Power I can see one of two thing (well, first I'd imagine they would redo it so that it can be Fairy-type than do two of the following):
  • If only Unown can use it, increase it to like 90-100 Power. If you're going to torment Unown with only one move at least give it high Power.
  • Make Hidden Power customizable. Now if they do this option I think they should also do more with Unown as I suggested above, but I've already discussed that above. To make this simple, lower it's Power to 50 but just let us choose which Type we want it to be without manipulating IVs. I'd also say let us choose for it to either be Special or Physical, so any Pokemon can truly use it. If I were to add one more additional mechanic it would be whether it uses the target's opposite defense stat to calculate damage (so if HP is Physical it would use the target's Special Defense or if HP was Special it would use Defense; think how Psystrike, Psyshock and Secret Sword works). Now I would honestly do some more shenanigans with it but already I feel this is pushing into wishlisting.
In conclusion, I think HP is likely gone and if they bring back Unown we might be seeing some new stuff done with it.

If I recall correctly, this move was used in the past to perform some really interestingly stupid combos in battles. Probably got cut for these to not exist.
Assist also had a really odd distribution due to its Japanese name: Cat's Paw. Essentially only cat Pokemon got it. Well, and for some reason Drowzee, Sentret, Sneasel (it's a weasel not a cat), Spinda, and Espurr via breeding. Also for some reason Shinx and Litleo doesn't get it, yeah they're big cats but they're still feline. Overall that alone makes it gimmicky so not surprised was removed.

I imagine all those Electric-types that lost access to Hidden Power Ice or Fire would appreciate something to hit Grass-types, especially since Electric-types usually have shit coverage options.
It's called a partner that's a Fire- or Ice-type. At least I imagine that would be GF's reasoning; instead of making the Pokemon a one-mon army have it "stuck" with its weakness and need teammates to get through a Type wall.

It's called a partner that's a Fire- or Ice-type. At least I imagine that would be GF's reasoning; instead of making the Pokemon a one-mon army have it "stuck" with its weakness and need teammates to get through a Type wall.
This is possibly the dumbest thing I have ever heard you say. Go tell that to all the Fighting-types with Dark coverage, all the Psychic-types with Fighting, and/or Ghost coverage, all the Ground-types with Rock coverage, all the Water-types with Ice coverage. Electric is just one of those types that doesn't pair well with other types in a flavor sense, so their special movepools frequently consist of nothing but Electric and Normal moves. They're still hard-walled by Ground-types. Something to sort of get around Grass-types isn't and hasn't broken the game.

And again, I'll remind you that as far as story gameplay goes, most mons suffice fine with stabs.

Since not all mons are meant to be competitive/postgame viable, I have a hard time seeing all this crisis for a couple moves that noone ever used anyway.

No, seriously, noone ever used Signal Beam Jolteon o Beheeyem in VGC. I'm pretty confident with this.

Signal Beam feels like a move that is an excellent choice as a machine/tutor option: an unusually-typed move available as an option to a similarly unusual (but consistent) list of Pokémon. Sure, it's a Bug-type move, but it's hardly associated with Bug Pokémon aside from Volbeat. I really like that sort of flavor; Megahorn is in an idential boat, and it was added as a TR. Its Grass-typed clone, Power Whip, was added as well, and I think it functions similarly as a move that isn't necessarily represented by its type, and as such works well as a TR.

I think machine/tutor moves for coverage come in two varieties, generally: strong moves that are given to Pokémon of the same type and those of a related type (see Ice Beam with most Water Pokémon, or Rock/Ground moves generally), and those that are a little weaker but have a wider spread to give different types greater coverage. Notably, Psychic/Bug/Fire is perfect neutral coverage (ignoring Heatran), and with Mystical Fire as a machine move, Psychic types could have a pretty solid set of moves that isn't the usual Psychic/Focus Blast/Shadow Ball (or Thunderbolt).

Unfortunately removing Signal Beam means that the already coverage-starved Electric Pokémon lost one of their few options. Grass Pokémon also tend to struggle for coverage, and SwSh kind of delivered with Pollen Puff. Unfortunately, it's ALSO Bug-type (meaning it only directly gives them an option to hit opposing Grass Pokémon), and it has such low distribution that not many Pokémon that get it can use it well. At least it can function as a healing move in doubles.

Feint Attack & Punishment - slightly odd choices to cut but Dark has a fair few weak moves so both were probably considered redundant
The really odd thing is that Feint Attack is a variation of Aerial Ace, which made it in. In fact, the only other variation of Aerial Ace (7 total) that is unusable is Magnet Bomb, which, unlike Feint Attack, had very low distribution, and prior to DLC had no users in the Pokedex.

If GF was worried about redundancy in ~60 BP Physical Dark moves (There’s Thief, Assurance, Payback, Knock Off, Feint Attack, Bite, and Brutal Swing) it seems like Bite (Since Heart Stamp was already snapped and Crunch exists) or Assurance/Payback (for being functionally similar in doubling power if the user gets hit/goes second) would have been better options.

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
If GF was worried about redundancy in ~60 BP Physical Dark moves (There’s Thief, Assurance, Payback, Knock Off, Feint Attack, Bite, and Brutal Swing) it seems like Bite (Since Heart Stamp was already snapped and Crunch exists) or Assurance/Payback (for being functionally similar in doubling power if the user gets hit/goes second) would have been better options.
bite's quite popular as an early-game move on anything with teeth, really, so i can understand why they kept it in. definitely agree on assurance/payback, though (also, the sheer number of low-power dark-type utility moves is quite impressive)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)