Pokémon GO

they aren't, the most common ones are aron, which are everywhere, getting annoyed at weather though, partially cloudy and rain are REDUCING the number of rocks to boost other types, last night game has rain on, just weedles and volbeat, kabuto, omanyte etc hardly any.

Kinda new to this thread so bare with me.

Honestly looking at the fossil Pokemon being more common has been dissaponting. Most don’t have the rock fast move that is so in demand so there isn’t much reason to catch them (Did get a 100% aerodactyl, but also suffers from bad quick moves.)
The quarter distance for candy is nice but I’m having trouble with what Pokémon I should be putting in there for candy so any suggestions would be helpful (currently walking a beldum).

Geodude showing up more is pleasing thought (until smack down Ttar makes my golems irrelevant :( )

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
The Rock-types of this event are plentiful but none of them stack up to Tyranitar - only Rhyperior realistically has a chance in the future (and maybe Nihilego). If keeping metagame relevance in mind, being ready for Tyranitar's CD is probably a priority if you lack candy - I would walk any of the line. Metagross isn't very metagame relevant so unless you really want the dex entry, I don't see a need to walk it. You can also walk things in anticipation for the new Alolan Forms (e.g. Exeggutor-A) or a strong generalist like Dragonite.

If you are ready for all of these, you can probably just keep walking Beldum or some dex entry fodder as you're basically prepped.

Grolem (until Tyranitar Smack Down) is currently the best Rock type attacker.

I managed to catch all the non-regional Pokemon (except that damn Chimecho !), I just walk with Togepi to earn some candy for Togekiss (I have 92 candies) and then, which Pokemon is the most interesting to buddy ?

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I used to walk to complete the Pokedex (Lileep and Nuzleaf recently) but there is always an event to get the candies. Or the usual "three hatches in a row" just when you don't need candies anymore.

Even Ralts, I know I'll need 250 candies to get all evolutions, but I also know that I can just wait for an event (Community Day August?) and get more candies in three hours than three months of walking.

My conclusion is that there are only two things worth walking with: gym defending (never enough Chansey where gyms are so quickly defeated) or raid attacking (to get the best rewards)

they aren't, the most common ones are aron, which are everywhere, getting annoyed at weather though, partially cloudy and rain are REDUCING the number of rocks to boost other types, last night game has rain on, just weedles and volbeat, kabuto, omanyte etc hardly any.
I actually have hard time doing other research quests when types are involved now. I could only trust the weather and if I get "Catch poisons" when it's not cloudy it's surely going to the trash. Getting "catch weather boosts" is also sure trash when it's not partially cloudy or raining.

The rocks are decently spawning as far as I see here. Fantastic when it's partially cloudy. And unnecessarily making things difficult with "Catch weather boosts".

I'm getting a bunch of rocks cause for some reason it's always partly cloudy here (no clouds in the sky for the past few days but hey). Unfortunately they're all Fossils and sometimes Geodude. Not a single Larvitar or Rhyhorn and the only Aero I've seen (which was my first) was from a research quest.

yea partially cloudy here seems to be a fair few more rocks then last time, defo more geodudes. got a shiny Kabuto yesterday weather boosted 84% level 33.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'm getting a bunch of rocks cause for some reason it's always partly cloudy here (no clouds in the sky for the past few days but hey). Unfortunately they're all Fossils and sometimes Geodude. Not a single Larvitar or Rhyhorn and the only Aero I've seen (which was my first) was from a research quest.
Yeah, that's the event going on.

Also, some effects of types being boosted by weather are starting to annoy me. Normally, around 60 % of the Pokémon you see are Normal-type crapmons. Pidgey, Taillow, Whismur, Rattata, Jigglypuff, Zigzagoon, Sentret, the likes. In partly cloudy weather, Normal-types (and nominally, Rock-types) are boosted, and suddenly 90 % of the Pokémon you see are Normal-type crapmons. Weather spawn boosts really shouldn't apply for the Pokémon that spawn by the hundreds in any weather anyway. Especially since there are interesting Normal 'mons to find, like Snorlax, Porygon, Chansey, Slakoth, or even Lickitung, but those never seem to be more common even in the right weather.

Meanwhile, in Windy weather (when is it ever windy?), Dragon-types go from being practically impossible to find, to... being practically impossible to find, but five levels higher than usual.

EDIT:

yea partially cloudy here seems to be a fair few more rocks then last time, defo more geodudes. got a shiny Kabuto yesterday weather boosted 84% level 33.
You know this thing with punctuation you've received warning points about before? It still applies.

It's funny that I suddenly found these tall trees on my way to post office today.

Anyway, reminder that currently, evolving normal Exeggute will not give you Alolan 'gutor. It'll still be regular Eggy.

Also, Pokemon Let's Go for Switch (and technically Gen 8, albeit remake and not brand new 'mon) was announced, and they said GO will be compatible to send mon to that port. I'll have to save for Switch and be skipping LG anyway, but once I get the next title, it will be about time to send my low IV legendaries and possibly even hundreds of Hat-chuu there.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
I'm sure everyone's heard of these by now but anyways:

Pokémon Let's Go: Pikachu and Pokémon Let's Go: Eevee have been announced for the Nintendo Switch and they are set to release on November 16. Why are these games relevant to Go? Because they draw direct inspiration from Go and you can directly link with them. Notable features:

- Catching in Let's Go is the same as Go proper, so there is no combat based system when facing Wild Pokémon and you flick the ball with motion controls.
- The Let's Go games connect to Go by the use of Bluetooth - the ability to transfer Pokémon is unlocked later in the story. This is a one-way thing, meaning Pokémon travel from Go to Let's Go, and not the other way back. Once you transfer a Pokémon, there is an area in the game called Go Park where you can catch them for use in the Switch games. Shiny Pokémon that are in Go will retain their shininess when transferred to Let's Go, and special Pokémon like all the varieties of the hat Pikachu cannot be transferred.
- There are rewards associated to connecting with the Let's Go games with your Go account. Nothing specific yet (as far as I know) but they will reveal things down the line, and further events in Go might be influenced by this.
- One special Pokémon, not revealed anywhere in the world yet, will star in this game, and will also be compatible with Go. This will likely happen closer to the release date, but still worthy to note.

I'm sure everyone's heard of these by now but anyways:

Pokémon Let's Go: Pikachu and Pokémon Let's Go: Eevee have been announced for the Nintendo Switch and they are set to release on November 16. Why are these games relevant to Go? Because they draw direct inspiration from Go and you can directly link with them. Notable features:

- Catching in Let's Go is the same as Go proper, so there is no combat based system when facing Wild Pokémon and you flick the ball with motion controls.
- The Let's Go games connect to Go by the use of Bluetooth - the ability to transfer Pokémon is unlocked later in the story. This is a one-way thing, meaning Pokémon travel from Go to Let's Go, and not the other way back. Once you transfer a Pokémon, there is an area in the game called Go Park where you can catch them for use in the Switch games. Shiny Pokémon that are in Go will retain their shininess when transferred to Let's Go, and special Pokémon like all the varieties of the hat Pikachu cannot be transferred.
- There are rewards associated to connecting with the Let's Go games with your Go account. Nothing specific yet (as far as I know) but they will reveal things down the line, and further events in Go might be influenced by this.
- One special Pokémon, not revealed anywhere in the world yet, will star in this game, and will also be compatible with Go. This will likely happen closer to the release date, but still worthy to note.
I haven't had the chance to see what this Let's Go fully about. But... that wild mon capture....

I knew mr. Masuda promised compatibility of GO with main series game, but not this far.
And still sad with the Hat-chuu. Great, when can I transfer them to a main series game? :pikuh:

At least considering it's main series game (or so Serebii said; it's conflicting as others say it's spin-off), chances are breeding are there too. Have it been two-way transferring, hell breaks loose over GO as one can just breed powerful things or even bring legendaries (especially hacked perfect ones) to GO and wreak havoc. Yeah, it's not Blissey tower era, but still....

I'll keep my sentiments over False Swipe and how short Gen7 is in another proper thread later....

And looks like I'll have to save a lot for Switch so I can transfer these lower legendaries. My Pokemon box is seriously screaming.

Last edited:
So can I ask how alolan eggy is gonna work? I know it’s out but has it simply replaced normal exeggutor in both the wild and raid bosses (albeit it’s not in the current rotation right now) or is it like a community day Pokémon with increased appearing but not to the same degree obviously (my home isn’t near pokestops so don’t get Pokémon around me so apologizes if this was answered)

So can I ask how alolan eggy is gonna work? I know it’s out but has it simply replaced normal exeggutor in both the wild and raid bosses (albeit it’s not in the current rotation right now) or is it like a community day Pokémon with increased appearing but not to the same degree obviously (my home isn’t near pokestops so don’t get Pokémon around me so apologizes if this was answered)
Firstly, it has 3 Atk lower than regular one, but with increased resistances to certain types. Double-resisting Water may come handy on future Water solo raids. I'll want an outstanding one to try against Vaporeon when they return.

Then, it is part-Dragon, which means doing "Catch Dragon" quest would be exponentially easier, although that removes the last reason people raid Latios (well, aside of favourites). At least I remembered raiding Latias to finish this quest twice or thrice and good feeling it was. And of course, if you haven't finished it, catch them until you finish the Dragon medal. Future Dragon legendaries waiting for that type catch bonus.

As for time limit on their boosted appearance, I'm not sure. There's no mention of anything like end time. Just catch them while you can, 300 dusts and extra Egg candy is good thing.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
Yea ^ this post covers a lot very nicely. Of note is that right now, Exeggcute just evolves into regular Exeggutor with no confirmed chance of getting an Alolan variant yet (and of course, coincidentally, the only way to get regular Exeggutor at the moment is to evolve one). However, after this mini event surrounding Alolan Eggy ends, the newly introduced assets that have to do with Rainbow weather will likely be the link to evolve Exeggcute into their Alolan variants / at least find them in the wild once more. To those not familiar, the Sun / Moon games were codenamed "Project Rainbow" and had an emphasis on them throughout the game as small cameos, such as in Exeggutor Island itself. So, the return of regular Exeggutor should be within reach soon with a method to get the Alolan form.

Sidebar: The 3 Atk reduction from Alolan Exeggutor (whereas the main games buff its offenses) shows the prime problem with the current CP formula. I hope Niantic saw this while implementing it and tackles it.

Yea ^ this post covers a lot very nicely. Of note is that right now, Exeggcute just evolves into regular Exeggutor with no confirmed chance of getting an Alolan variant yet (and of course, coincidentally, the only way to get regular Exeggutor at the moment is to evolve one). However, after this mini event surrounding Alolan Eggy ends, the newly introduced assets that have to do with Rainbow weather will likely be the link to evolve Exeggcute into their Alolan variants / at least find them in the wild once more. To those not familiar, the Sun / Moon games were codenamed "Project Rainbow" and had an emphasis on them throughout the game as small cameos, such as in Exeggutor Island itself. So, the return of regular Exeggutor should be within reach soon with a method to get the Alolan form.

Sidebar: The 3 Atk reduction from Alolan Exeggutor (whereas the main games buff its offenses) shows the prime problem with the current CP formula. I hope Niantic saw this while implementing it and tackles it.
It makes sense, it lost just as much speed as it gained attack

Bit of a weird/dumb question: if I skip a day and don't do a research task thus breaking my streak, does it reset the counter or not (i.e. do I have to start from 0 days)?

Asking because Articuno comes out tomorrow but today is my 7th day. The impatient me is saying wait for Articuno (because I don't have one yet) but the OCD me is saying keep the streak alive.

Ah ya, today be the day we change Field Research theme?
I need to ask how many Water Pokemon I have to evolve to clear the Vaporeon quest (that one equivalent to Flareon's "Evolve 5 Fires" and Jolteon's "Evolve 3 Elecs.")
I have prepared like 200 Maril candies and 600 Spheal candies for this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)