PLUVIA

Pluvia = Rain in Latin, if you were wondering o.0​

~ Intro ~

Hello, as you should have seen, my name's Psycho Cut and this is my 2nd (I think) RMT here on Smogon. I've come here, not to show off my super-fantabulous team, but rather to seek help, because my team, after all, is far from super-fantabulous. This team, I believe, has a lot of potential. It's been built from strong cores, with strong pokemon in mind. Yet somehow its performance is still mediocore. Maybe the team is just fine, and it's just me, but I thought what the heck, and decided to share it anyway. Besides, i like writing RMTs (What do you expect? I named my team in Latin... o.0)​

I'm not going to do a team building session because it would take far too long. However, I will explain how that pokemon came into the team in its description.​

~ Team At A Glance ~

~ Team In Detail ~

(Changes in Bold)

Politoed (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Toxic
- Perish Song
- Encore

This is a rain team, so, of course, that means Politoed must have a place n this team. The defensive set was suggested to be by Aerrow in place of the Scarf Set, to help me win the Weather War. Scald is a good reliable STAB with a handy chance of burn, futher complementing Politoed's defenisive investments. Toxic is for wearing and stalling down the enemy. I've retained Perish Song because it's just so useful and Encore rounds off the set, which is useful for locking dangerous setup sweepers onto DD or whatever, meaning one of my pokemon can come in and force them out.

Tornadus (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Rain Dance
- U-turn

Tornadus is the pokemon I built this team around so, naturally, that explains the rain. Specs Tornadus is my favourite competetive pokemon right now. It's crazy powerful STAB, Hurricane, when it has its accuracy improved by the rain is very scary indeed, especially if one factors in the chance of confusion. Focus Blast is additional coverage, and with Hurricane, mean that Tornadus's attacks (not counting U-turn, it's not really an attack) are resisted by only 4 pokemon which can appear in OU, Zapdos being the only one I'd count on making an appearence. Rain Dance is another fail-safe, and, in tandem with Prankster, can stop Chlorophyll sweepers in their tracks, should my Politoed fall to some blasphemous trickery. Finally, U-turn is for scouting, although I am considering replacing this with a Hidden Power of some sort (probably Ice) or perhaps Air Slash, so Tornadus can sweep outside of rain, without having to rely on Hurricane's shaky accuracy.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Atk, -SAtk) [0 Spd IVs]
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Protect/Thunder Wave
- Gyro Ball

Standard Ferrothorn was suggested to me in place of Metagross. It, like Meta, gives a way of laying down Stealth Rock but also provides a counter to LO Starmie, who, thanks to its collossal speed, can threaten to cut Torndaus's sweep short. Leech Seed is recovery and is, in all, an extremely useful move. If I opt with Protect in the 3rd Moveslot, then these two moves can be used to stall a bit mre health out of switch-ins. However, Thunder Wave can be used to cripple sweepers such as Infernape and Terrakion that are likely to switch into Ferro. Finally, I've gone with Gyro Ball, a good, solid, reliable that benefits from Ferrothorn's (lack of) speed to round of the set.

Latios (M) @ Wise Glasses
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SpD / 252 Spd
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Thunder
- Surf

Latios was added to the team as a useful electric resist and Rotom-W counter (that's what the 4SpD EVs are, if you were wondering) and has become the best pokemon I have on the team, save perhaps for Tornadus. This set, whilst not entirely original, was something I thought up myself, and is by far the best thing I've ever come up with. As you may have guessed, the idea is to fiegn a choice item. The opponent will notice the lack of leftovers or LO Recoil and naturally presume I'm choiced. This will often lead him (or her) to bring in something like Heatran, when I'm "locked on" to Psychic. Naturally, I use Surf for a KO. This has led to many a free KO and has often turned the tide of battle. The Moveset, then, is fairly self explanatory. DM + Psychic are powerful STABs and Thunder + Surf both abuse the rain, in one way or another. Some of you may be wondering why I've gone for Psychic instead of Psyshock. The reason is thus: I've never really found that Psyshock does much to Blissey/Chansey anyway. Sure, it does more than Psychic, but nothing that they can't heal off. And nor do I want my Latios to stay in and get Toxic'd. Besides, Psychic, with STAB and Wise Glasses, has 16.5 more BP, which can mean the difference between a OHKO or 2HKO.

Gliscor (F) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

Gliscor, simialrly to Latios, was brought on to the team to provide an electric resist, or rather, immunity. It was brought in at a time when the team was heavily electric weak and, as that has improved along the way, Gliscor's slot on the team has often been questioned. Despite that, he still has some use and can prove very effective when he wants to. Gliscor is my physical wall and, as such, has some great synergy with its best bud, Jirachi. It also helps to wall things like Terrakion, who would otherwise be a large threat to this team. I've gone with a SD set because thats's what I have experience with and it can prove surprisingly deadly at times. That said, it only requires a stong special attacker (or a weak one with Water/Ice moves) to force Gliscor out, thereby losing his boosts. So I'm welcome to a set change. Taunt is very useful move, and partly helps keep hazards off my team (though this team mostly has a handy immunity to Toxic Spikes and, to a lesser extent, Spikes). Earthquake is STAB and hits hard after a SD or two, and Ice Fang is additonal coverage, catching out the Dragonite and Landorus switch-ins.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Thunder
- Flash Cannon

Don't be fooled by Jirachi's cute looks, for it is a force to be reckoned with and a valuable addition to the team. Aerrow, again, suggested that Sub + CM Jirachi would be a welcome addition to the team, abusing the rain and softening up my opponent's team so Tornadus can finish them off. Substitute and CM are fairly self-explanatory moves then, but it's worth noting the fact that Jirachi's Subs can't be broken by Seismic Toss (In Yo Face Blissey!) allowing Jirachi to set up on a lot more pokemon. Flash Cannon is a powerful STAB attack and Thunder abuses the rain and hits things Flash Cannon doesn't, such as Vaporeon and Skarmory.

~ Closing Comments ~

As I've said, I belive this team has a lot of potential, and could perhaps even break the 1300s barrier. It may need only a few tweaks (or a different player!) but then again, it could need some radical core changes. Both or which are fine with me, I just want it to succeed. As far as what pokemon I'd like to keep, I want Tornadus on this team, as it's such as absolute beast, but I doubt you'd all reccomend removing it anyway. Latios is another one I would prefer to stay as it has been useful beyond doubt. Even so, I welcome to suggestions otherwise.​

Finally, I'd like to say thanks for reading (I hope you enjoyed doing so) an all comments and critism are welcome :)​

The first thing I notice is three weaknesses to ice. While you have Pokemon to cover it, I see revenge killing rather a strong hitter on this team. Another issue is the fact this team is a little too focused on offense, as I've found offensive teams not to be doing quite so hot with the somewhat recent banning of Thundurus, Excadrill, Deoxys-S, etc.
So my recommendation to you is to try Leech Seed Ferrothorn on your team. I understand why you removed your ferrothorn before, but I recommend you try to give it a shot again.
I also noticed that Gliscor doesn't seem to be doing much of anything. While it does remove an electric weakness, it isn't exactly needed as you have Latios which covers Rotom-W, the most common electric type. I'd check for a new, modernized set or perhaps try Tentacruel.

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey,

This is definitely a cool team you have here, although in my opinion, it needs several changes to help maximize its chances of success. In most cases I wouldn't bother rating a team which needs several large changes, but seeing how much effort you've put into creating this RMT, I guess I'll help out in whatever way I can. Immediately I see a gaping weakness to LO Starmie; it can outpace nearly all of your team and OHKO or 2HKO all of it - the only Pokemon which can outpace it, Politoed, can't really do anything back to it except Perish Song which will only limit Starmie's destruction but a little bit.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers / Shed Shell
Relaxed | Iron Barbs
252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD (0 Spe IV)
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Thunder Wave / Power Whip

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Timid | Serene Grace
252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Thunder
- Flash Cannon

I highly recommend that you switch out your Metagross for a standard Ferrothorn; while I understand that it may not suit your offensive play-style, in more cases than not, the support it provides will be invaluable in the course of a battle as its defensive capabilities are a necessity in combating Pokemon such as the aforementioned Starmie. Additionally, I recommend switching up your Jirachi - now that you have Ferrothorn, using a specially defensive Jirachi on your team seems to be redundant. Consider using a Substitute + Calm Mind set - it works very well in permanent rain and it'll be able to soften up an opponent's core making cleaning up for Tornadus a very easy matter.

Politoed @ Leftovers
Bold | Drizzle
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Scald
- Hypnosis / Toxic
- Encore
- Protect / Ice Beam

Latios @ Expert Belt
Timid | Levitate
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
- Surf
- Thunder
- Recover / Psyshock

I also recommend using a defensive Politoed over your current Choice Scarf variant; although Politoed is an excellent user of said Choice Scarf, it will need to be bulky to win weather-wars against the likes of Tyranitar and Ninetales - and due to the fact that a large portion of your team is heavily dependent on permanent rain to function properly, this need for a bulkier Politoed is amplified even further. Lastly, consider switching out your current Latios for the standard offensive variant, except use an Expert Belt instead of the recommended Life Orb - this will improve Latios' overall success while also not deterring away from its purpose in a battle. Although its true that you lack a revenge-killer after these changes, personally, I don't think it would be necessary at this point. You have Tornadus which outpaces a lot of the metagame, and the few threats that outpace it (such as Starmie) are covered by the rest of your team.

Changes in Short

• Defensive Ferrothorn over Metagross
  • SubCM Jirachi over current Jirachi
  • Defensive Politoed over Choice Scarf Politoed
  • Expert Belt Latios over current Latios
I hope this rate helped and good luck! Once again, I apologize if my rate had too many changes in it - like I said, I usually don't rate teams where I know I'll make rates with several large changes, but I really felt like I had to rate this team, in particular, for some odd reason ..

Wow, thanks for the really detailed feedback guys. Thanks for spending so much time rating it :)

Anyway, thanks both of you for the Ferrothorn suggestion (I had a hunch it'd be making its way back on to this team). I'm going to re-work your sets a little (feel free to tell me off for this) but run with a moveset of Leech Seed | Stealth Rock | Gyro Ball | Protect/Thuder Wave. Leech Seed has always been extremely valuable when I've used Ferro and I don't think a full set of hazards is a neccessity, especially since I have no spin-blocker on my team. I'll take Aerrow's advice and put it in place of Meta instead of Gliscor, because that would leave my team very weak to Terrakion.

Aerrow, your Jirachi and Politoed ideas are brilliant, thanks a lot, I'll change them right away. However, I think I'll fit perish song in on Politoed. It's come in useful many, many times.

Finally, thanks for the Latios idea, but I think I'll be keeping by current set. The wise glasses give me extra power all the time, and help me to KO threats that I can't land a super-effective hit on, such as Rotom-W, who is the pokemon Latios is foremost meant to counter.

Again, thanks a lot for your suggestions :D

:O Didn't know you had an account here, Psycho... XD

Anyway, I would suggest putting either Tailwind or Air Slash on Tornadus. Tailwind is very useful if something's set up on you (i.e. +1 Volcarona) and you need to outspeed an KO it. Air Slash also allows you to sweep outside of rain, without having to rely on Hurricane's accuracy.

Finally, now that you've got rid of Metagross (which is good) I suggest a better physical attacker than Gliscor to deal with Blissey

Ok, thanks, ND :)

I was considering adding Scizor in place of Gliscor, as it too is a good check to Terrakion. But while it revenges it, it can switch in, which isn't ideal

You might want to try Rain Varients of Dragonite for the team. They are great Rain sweepers and fight well with a mixed set. This could go over Tornadus or replace Gliscor altogether. Modify the set to your liking, as Dragonite can run Aqua Tail, Surf, and Earthquake to fit your needs.

You might want to try Rain Varients of Dragonite for the team. They are great Rain sweepers and fight well with a mixed set. This could go over Tornadus or replace Gliscor altogether. Modify the set to your liking, as Dragonite can run Aqua Tail, Surf, and Earthquake to fit your needs.
Nah. Dragonite would leave me too weak to Terrakion, as Scarf Terrakion outspeeds even +1 Dragonite. And, with no boosts, it's too slow to sweep anyway. Tornadus is a much better option thanks to its greater speed and special attack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)