OU RMT (1350 CRE)

Balanced OU RMT (Peaked at 1350)

Here is my latest OU team, that has peaked at 1350 on the Smogon Ladder. Although that is not all that good, it is the best I have been able to do in a while. It is more of a balanced team, where all 6 members are able to deal good amounts of damage to the opponent. The team itself does a pretty good job covering each others weaknesses, has only 1 weak to Stealth Rock, and 2 weak to Toxic Spikes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Heatran
Naive @ Shuca Berry
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Stealth Rock
-Explosion
Heatran has become one of my favorite leads in the few weeks. Although it does not always get stealth rock down, it does so against the majority of leads. Also, it provides a nice dragon resist, as well as the ability to use flash fire later on in the battle. Evs and Shuca Berry allow it to survive Earthquake from Swampert, Tyranitar, and Metagross, meaning that Stealth Rock will normally be set up.
: Expect the taunt, so immediately Fire Blast. Normally Fire Blast again for the KO, and set up Stealth Rock later in the battle.
: Immediately Stealth Rock, then proceed to fireblast. If low on hp, switch to Flygon or Gyarados to resist Earthquake and KO back.
: As Earthquake is not a KO, immediately Stealth Rock. Then switch to Gyarados in order to taunt and set up on it.
: If I predict the Trick, go to Flygon in order to force the Jirachi out. Otherwise, Stealth Rock turn one and proceed to Earth power, predicting an incoming Heatran.
: As taunt is almost always coming, Fire Blast the first turn. Then set up Stealth Rock. Finally switch to Latias or Flygon to KO.
: Either SR the first turn, then switch, or just go straight to Latias to resist the Close Combat. Threaten out with Surf, hopefully drawing a Scizor in to KO with HP Fire.
: Unfortunately immediately Fire Blast, hoping that Sleep Powder misses. A least one layer of Toxic Spikes will probably get set up, although it only effects Tyranitar and Infernape.
: Stealth Rock the first turn, then switch to Latias or Gyarados in order to threaten.
: Stealth Rock the first turn, then switch to Flygon in order to threaten with U-Turn or Earthquake.
: Predicting the Taunt, go to Gyarados or Latias in order to threaten.

Synergy:
Ground moves go to Latias, Flygon, or Gyarados
Fighting moves go to Latias or Gyarados
Water moves go to Latias, Gyarados, or Tyranitar if a Starmie

Tyranitar
Jolly @ Choice Scarf
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
-Stone Edge
-Crunch
-Pursuit
-Superpower
This was initially a Scizor, but I switched to Tyranitar in order to become more specially bulky. ScarfTar is extremely important to my team, as it is my check to Latias, Gengar, Starmie, Azelf, etc. I opted to go with Superpower over Earthquake because it does more damage to other Tyrantar and Blissey, who could both be great annoyances to this team. Crunch, Pursuit, and Stone Edge are pretty much staples on choice Ttar, and help ScarfTar do its job for this team. The only issues I have with ScarfTar at the moment is the fact it is easy set up bait for my opponents, and it also does not have the priority move that Scizor provided for the team.

Synergy:
Ground moves go to Flygon, Latias, or Gyarados
Fighting moves go to Latias or Gyarados.
Water Moves go to Gyarados or Latias.
Bug moves go to Gyarados, Heatran, or Infernape.
Steel Moves go to Heatran, or Gyarados.
Grass Moves go to Heatran, Infernape, or Latias.

Flygon
Jolly @ Choice Scarf
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
-Earthquake
-U-Turn
-Stone Edge
-Outrage
Flygon plays the role of the all important revenge killer for my team. It plays the important roles of checking DD Salamence, DD Gyarados, Jolteon, Tyranitar, and more. It is also the only thing on my team that can outspeed an Empoleon after Agility, which allows me to get the revenge kill as long as its sub is down. U-Turn is extremely helpful for scouting out the opponents team, Stone Edge is used for Gyarados, and Salamence some of the time, and Earthquake and Outrage are obvious choices for Flygon. Finally, Flygon is used as my main check attempt at Kingdra, as it can hit it for super-effective damage.

Synergy:
Ice moves go to Tyranitar, Gyarados, Heatran, or Infernape.
Dragon Moves go to Heatran or Tyranitar normally.

Latias
Timid @ Expert Belt
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
-Dragon Pulse
-Surf
-Thunderbolt
-Hp Fire
Expert Belt Latias has started to become a staple on my teams. It does a fantastic job of killing opposing Scizors who switch in after a Dragon Pulse or a Surf. Latias is also important as it serves as my initial switich in to Empoleon, as I use her to break Empoleons subs until the Petaya Berry activates, allowing Flygon to come in for the KO. Also, Latias is one of my two switch ins to opposing Gliscor, as it resists EQ and can respond with Surf. Latias is also the only pokemon on my team that seems to stand a change against Vaporeon, who gives this team major problems. Finally, Latias serves the important role of countering both Heatran and Infernape for this team, who could otherwise give me some problems.

Synergy:
Ice moves go to Tyranitar, Heatran, Infernape, or Gyarados.
Bug moves go to Heatran, Infernape, or Gyarados.
Dragon moves go to Heatran or Tyranitar normally.
Ghost moves go to Tyranitar or Heatran.
Dark moves go to Tyranitar, Heatran, or Infernape

Gyarados
Adament @ Leftovers
156 HP/72 Atk/96 Def/184 Spe
-Dragon Dance
-Taunt
-Waterfall
-Stone Edge
I knew that I needed a physically bulky pokemon on this team, but did not want to slow down its offensive style. I decided upong Bulky Gyarados, as it is able to check both Lucario and Scizor, two of the biggest physical threats in todays metagame. Taunt is also extremely helpful for attempting to slow stall down, as I can stop the opponent from healing/setting up entry hazards. Gyarados is the only pokemon on my team weak to Stealth Rock, so I do not feel that a Rapid Spinner is necessary. Deciding whether or not Earthquake should find a way on to this set, but I am unsure. Are there any opinions on this?

Synergy:
Electric moves go to Flygon, Latias, or Tyranitar.
Rock moves go to Tyranitar or Flygon.

Infernape
Naive @ Life Orb
64 Atk/252 SpA/192 Spe
-Fire Blast
-Close Combat
-Grass Knot
-HP Ice
The team itself was built around Infernape, although it is more of a balanced play style overall. Infernape plays the role of the all important stall breaker, as it is the only mixed attacker on my team. Also, I went with HP Ice in order to hit the Latias switch ins, and the Salamence that think they can stay in on me. Infernape is also the only pokemon on my team with a grass move, meaning that it is normally responsible for taking out opposing Swamperts. Unfortunately, Infernape suffers from the lack of survivability, so I normally attempt to keep it hidden until the last possible moment, when the opponent has already been sufficienty weakened.

Synergy:
Water moves go to Latias, Gyarados, or Tyranitar if Starmie.
Ground moves go to Latias, Flygon, or Gyarados.
Psychic moves go to Tyranitar, Heatran, or Latias.
Flying moves go to Heatran or Tyranitar.

So there is my completed team. I may or may not get a threat list up later, depending on how much time I have in the coming days. Any rates would be much appreciated, and all suggestions will be tested thuroughly. Thanks for your time and consideration.

-Dukefan5

I just glanced at your team and already see a Gyara weakness. If you so much as to lock yourself into the wrong move you may already be screwed. I know you might say Flygon is your revenge killer, but Stone Edge's accuracy may cost you the match. On all of my Flygon I run Thunderpunch over Stone Edge now.

All I have for now, I'll be back after testing the team.

Okay first of all, very nice and solid team. I like it because it's a quite offensively oriented and I'm getting really sick of all those stall teams around.
I couldn't find severe major weaknesses, but some minor ones and therefore I'd like to give you a few examples and suggestions.
I lkie Heatran Lead but you included a matchup list vs other common leads and I saw that you could make some mistakes. Never stay in on Tyranitar as Scarfed ones Ohko with Superpower and banded ones Ohko with Earthquake (so you will only get rocks up and die). You should also immediately switch in Latias vs Infernape as many use CC right off the bat which will ohko you. You should always remember: Heatran is not a Suicide lead. You'll want it to be alive later in the game to counter scizors and co. and use its great resistances and fire power. If you have a bad matchup at the beginning, don't try to set up or attack but switch out and try to lay down rocks later.
Additionally you could try HP grass over Explosion. This would allow you to run Timid(getting more bulk) and ohkoing Swampert leads which will severely hurt that opposing team. But this is only a suggestion, Naive Explosion is fine.
Second, try to keep your Flygon alive as long as possible and don't waste it too early. DD Mence runs through your whole team if Flygon is gone (and DD Mences are usually revealed very late) and Jolly ones can even win the speed tie and kill Flygon. So +Spe DD Mence is a real problem for you. Also DD Gyara can give you problems especially if Stone Edge misses. I'd try out Thunderpunch.
Also Bulky waters with HP Electric (Vaporeon, Suicune) can give you trouble as they always survive Latias TBolt and can ohko Nape, Gyara, Heatran and at least 2hko TTar (plus ohko Flygon and 2hko Latias if they carry Ice Beam).
Therefore especially Offensive CM Cune can run through your team. You should however be able to kill it as many of your team members outspeed and hit hard, but it will probably kill at least 2 pokemon if it gets a CM in.
You could also get problems with stall teams. Your Infernape is a great stall breaker but with the lack of a boosting move its power is not enough to ohko bulky gyara for example. Also if that stall team stacks up entry hazards you Ape will die very fast as it has Life Orb and is susceptible to all 3 Hazards (as you noticed you won't prevent Roserade from setting up TSpikes).

Hope this post helped you. Solid team. Good luck with it !

Good team for the most part your Gyarados EVs are wack.
an also forget taunt for earthquake, a ground move covers alot of attackers that know lighting moves, I would recomend Ice fang on gyarados just to cover your grass weakness/ ground / dragon / flying... your probobly thinking ... what about infernapes HP ICE... drop it same with grass not. its a physical attacker and sp attacks on it is bad news id use soley one

Hi dukefan5.

In a metagame so centralised around Dragon types, you have got to have a good Steel type to absorb those Dragon attacks other than your lead. Your team doesn't have any good switch-in to powerful Outrages and your check Flygon is very shaky. What I mean is that you rely on Scarf Flygon to check Salamence and Gyarados with Outrage and Stone Edge respectively. This is a rather dangerous thing to attempt since you'l be locked into Outrage and open for a revenge kill leaving you without a revenge killer. Same thing with Stone Edge which accuracy is low, missing the Stone Edge means losing the entire match. Salamence and Gyarados get plenty of opportunities to setup when Tyranitar and Flygon are locked into a resisted move since they're choiced. Also, Flygon is your only switch-in to Tyranitar's Stone Edge, however, it is extremely frail and will be 2HKO'ed.

The best thing you could do to solve those problems is using a Choice Scarf Jirachi. CS Jirachi provides a good dragon resist and a very effective and safe revenge killer. When it has the elemental punches it can effectively revenge kill DD Gyara and Mence to an extent. Jirachi is also more bulky than Flygon and you still check the same threats while the synergy is improved in a way you have a steel type other than your lead. Besides, abusing Serene Grace and Iron Head can save you a match if you get lucky, so I would at least give it a test. With Trick it also solves your huge CM Suicune weakness so it seems like a obligatory change.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly / Serene Grace
EV Spread: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Moves: Iron Head / Thunder Punch / Ice Punch / Trick

I don't see the point of using Expert Belt Latias to be honest. Since it lacks a recovery move, it isn't going to last long and it isn't going vto hit hard at all since your main attack Dragon Pulse which you will be using the most only hits one type for Super Effective damage. If you're that worried about Scizor you could try another set that's able to OHKO Tyranitar with Grass Knot after it has switched-in on a Dragon Pulse and it also packs HP Fire to hit Scizor on the switch-in like your former moveset. This set also hits a lot harder and it will benefit you a lot with Grass Knot because Tyranitar is an annoyance to this team and getting a kill early in the match will give you some breathing space and will allow you to freely throw attacks. Here's the set:

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid / Levitate
EV Spread: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd
Moves: Dragon Pulse / Grass Knot / HP Fire / Recover

Now that we've replaced Flygon with Jirachi, we've made your team a bit CM Jirachi weak since Flygon was able to revenge kill it with Earthquake negating it's boosts because it's a physical move. A simple fix to this problem would be to add Earthquake over Superpower on Tyranitar. According to your description, you use Superpower to beat Blissey and Tyranitar but those two are already easily swept by Infernape with Close Combat. Tyranitar with Earthquake is a more safe way of countering CM Jirachi thanks to it's mamoth Special Defence.

Good luck with your team.

I like your team because it is very offensive. The first thing i noticed is a triple Water type weakness (Heatran, Tyranitar, and Infernape). The best way to eliminate this is to change TTar back to CB Scizor. This gives you incredible synergy as you resist each type at least twice except for Rock, and Flying, are only resisted one.

That is the only major change I suggest you make, although that Latias idea by Nosferalto might not hurt you. It's personal preference. I do agree with changing Stone Edge to ThunderPunch on Flygon. I've lost count of how many matches I've lost by missing with that attack, and it sucks so badly.

Gybson, you are wrong about Infernape. His physical attack and special attack are equally based in power, and this is a very common Infernape set to run, I see it all the time. The Gyrados EVs are also normal for a Bulky Dragon Dance set, and do not need to be changed. Taunt is supposed to be there instead of Earthquake. You can find both the Ape and Gyra set in the Smogon Strategy Pokedex.

I strongly disagree with replacing Flygon with Jirachi. This will add a quadruple Ground weakness to you team (Jirachi, Tyranitar, Infernape, Heatran). It would further reduce you ground imunity with Flygon, giving you only one ground resistence at all, which is Gyrados who is also immune.

I like your team quite a bit, because I'm a very offensive player myself. LCF Rulez gave some very nice suggestions for lead threats and how Heatran should deal with them. I hope this rate helped you out. PM me if you have further questions or comments. Have fun battling!

I like your team because it is very offensive. The first thing i noticed is a triple Water type weakness (Heatran, Tyranitar, and Infernape). The best way to eliminate this is to change TTar back to CB Scizor. This gives you incredible synergy as you resist each type at least twice except for Rock, and Flying, are only resisted one.
Replacing CB Tyranitar with Scizor makes the team SD Lucario weak, LO Starmie weak and Rotom-A weak. When replacing a Pokemon you've got to think about the consequences as replacing one pokemon to counter x pokemon might make you weak to pokemon y. As for the water weakness, the he has 2 resists and the only threats that utilise those types are Gyarados and Starmie which are already covered.

I strongly disagree with replacing Flygon with Jirachi. This will add a quadruple Ground weakness to you team (Jirachi, Tyranitar, Infernape, Heatran). It would further reduce you ground imunity with Flygon, giving you only one ground resistence at all, which is Gyrados who is also immune.
Latias and Gyarados are immune to ground type moves, this alone is enough to ensure ground type attacks are enough. Heatran is also a lead so you shouldn't even take him into account. Also, the way you think makes me think that you're a very simple minded person. Rating teams is much more than putting each Pokemon in the marriland team builder and spotting a x4 ground weakness while there is two immunities. The only downside of Jirachi is the fact that it makes the team a bit vulnerable to Jolteon but with clever switching and play using Tyranitar and Latias you can work it out.

EDIT: Personally, I dislike Thunder Punch on Flygon because you sacrifice one moveslot for checking Gyarados in exchange of type coverage. On the long run, Stone Edge will be much more useful.

I have 2 things I dislike about the team, Latias and Ape.

For Ape, the only thing I don't like is the EV Spread. I always prefer max speed on my Ape to outspeed other Apes, just in case.

For Latias, if you're going to use Expert Belt, I would use LO recover instead. This enables stronger Draco Meteors plus the x1.3 damage even if it isn't super effective, and you can always heal it off.

Latias@ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Speed
Timid nature
- Recover
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Surf

or

Latias@ Life Orb
Timid nature
- Recover
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Grass Knot

Alright, thanks for all the advice so far, I'll try to go in order.
Okay first of all, very nice and solid team. I like it because it's a quite offensively oriented and I'm getting really sick of all those stall teams around.
I couldn't find severe major weaknesses, but some minor ones and therefore I'd like to give you a few examples and suggestions.
I lkie Heatran Lead but you included a matchup list vs other common leads and I saw that you could make some mistakes. Never stay in on Tyranitar as Scarfed ones Ohko with Superpower and banded ones Ohko with Earthquake (so you will only get rocks up and die). You should also immediately switch in Latias vs Infernape as many use CC right off the bat which will ohko you. You should always remember: Heatran is not a Suicide lead. You'll want it to be alive later in the game to counter scizors and co. and use its great resistances and fire power. If you have a bad matchup at the beginning, don't try to set up or attack but switch out and try to lay down rocks later.
Additionally you could try HP grass over Explosion. This would allow you to run Timid(getting more bulk) and ohkoing Swampert leads which will severely hurt that opposing team. But this is only a suggestion, Naive Explosion is fine.
Second, try to keep your Flygon alive as long as possible and don't waste it too early. DD Mence runs through your whole team if Flygon is gone (and DD Mences are usually revealed very late) and Jolly ones can even win the speed tie and kill Flygon. So +Spe DD Mence is a real problem for you. Also DD Gyara can give you problems especially if Stone Edge misses. I'd try out Thunderpunch.
Also Bulky waters with HP Electric (Vaporeon, Suicune) can give you trouble as they always survive Latias TBolt and can ohko Nape, Gyara, Heatran and at least 2hko TTar (plus ohko Flygon and 2hko Latias if they carry Ice Beam).
Therefore especially Offensive CM Cune can run through your team. You should however be able to kill it as many of your team members outspeed and hit hard, but it will probably kill at least 2 pokemon if it gets a CM in.
You could also get problems with stall teams. Your Infernape is a great stall breaker but with the lack of a boosting move its power is not enough to ohko bulky gyara for example. Also if that stall team stacks up entry hazards you Ape will die very fast as it has Life Orb and is susceptible to all 3 Hazards (as you noticed you won't prevent Roserade from setting up TSpikes).
I am going to take your advice on how to play with lead Tran, as it is a valuable member of my team later in came. However, I am keeping Explosion, as it helps to deal with the Suicune and Latias that switch in thinking they can set up. I am testing Thunderpunch, but have not found it all that useful at the moment, but I will keep testing. Finally, I agree that I have some problems with stall, but I was wondering if you had any suggestions on how to fix this.
Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly / Serene Grace
EV Spread: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Moves: Iron Head / Thunder Punch / Ice Punch / Trick

I don't see the point of using Expert Belt Latias to be honest. Since it lacks a recovery move, it isn't going to last long and it isn't going vto hit hard at all since your main attack Dragon Pulse which you will be using the most only hits one type for Super Effective damage. If you're that worried about Scizor you could try another set that's able to OHKO Tyranitar with Grass Knot after it has switched-in on a Dragon Pulse and it also packs HP Fire to hit Scizor on the switch-in like your former moveset. This set also hits a lot harder and it will benefit you a lot with Grass Knot because Tyranitar is an annoyance to this team and getting a kill early in the match will give you some breathing space and will allow you to freely throw attacks. Here's the set:

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid / Levitate
EV Spread: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd
Moves: Dragon Pulse / Grass Knot / HP Fire / Recover

Now that we've replaced Flygon with Jirachi, we've made your team a bit CM Jirachi weak since Flygon was able to revenge kill it with Earthquake negating it's boosts because it's a physical move. A simple fix to this problem would be to add Earthquake over Superpower on Tyranitar. According to your description, you use Superpower to beat Blissey and Tyranitar but those two are already easily swept by Infernape with Close Combat. Tyranitar with Earthquake is a more safe way of countering CM Jirachi thanks to it's mamoth Special Defence.
I am testing Scarf Jirachi, and it is working fairly well, although the lack of U-Turn is somewhat annoying. However Trick has proved to be very useful. Unless something drastic happens, I think I will go with the Jirachi.
However, I am not sold on the Life Orb Latias that keeps being suggested. I feel that Expert Belt Latias has been the most successful member of the team, and gets at least one surprise KO per battle, aside from KOS it normally gets. Also, I dont use Dragon Pulse unless I have no other super-effective move, making Choice even more obvious. I will however keep testing.

That is the only major change I suggest you make, although that Latias idea by Nosferalto might not hurt you. It's personal preference. I do agree with changing Stone Edge to ThunderPunch on Flygon. I've lost count of how many matches I've lost by missing with that attack, and it sucks so badly.
I am against the CB Scizor switch, as Tyranitar has just proved too useful, and it honestly would not help that much. I am still testing Thunder Punch over Stone Edge, but I'm not satisfied yet. Thanks for the rate though.
For Ape, the only thing I don't like is the EV Spread. I always prefer max speed on my Ape to outspeed other Apes, just in case.

For Latias, if you're going to use Expert Belt, I would use LO recover instead. This enables stronger Draco Meteors plus the x1.3 damage even if it isn't super effective, and you can always heal it off.

Latias@ Life Orb
Timid nature
- Recover
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Surf
or
Latias@ Life Orb
Timid nature
- Recover
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Grass Knot
For the Infernape, I like the power that the set has, so I do not think I will be changing its spread, although I will test it. Also, I will test the Latias, but honestly am not liking the Life Orb sets very much. It has no surprise factor, and Draco Meteor forces me to switch out. Final point to J-Gao, I am keeping Taunt, and not Earthquake, as I have no need for Earthqake on this team.

Thanks for all the rates, and I will see how all the testing goes.

I'm glad to hear that my suggestions helped you.
Your stall problems are not quite easy to fix without major changes. As I said your Infernape is quite a good stallbreaker but it really has problems if Entry Hazards are stacked up, especially TSpikes. A spinner could help Infernape but I really don't know where you should add a spinner to your team and then you'll still have the problem of a stall teams omnipresent spin Blocker. Your opponent will most likely manage to have Hazards down when Nape comes in. Your Gyarados can also quite well deal with stall with Taunt, But only as soon as Rotom-A and Suicune/Vaporeon are gone.
Giving your Latias a Scarf and trick could help shut down a specific wall but that won't solve your entry hazard weakness and I think you wanted to keep your Bait Latias anyway.
So stall teams will probaly remain a problem for you unless you really decide to add a spinner and/or a grounded poison type to get rid of the hazards. At least your TTar will mostly be able to remove the opposing spinner.

Good Luck though.

Just a quick rate from me. In my experience I've found physical MixApe to be a far better sweeper in the current metagame thanks to the way it somewhat handles Latias who stone walls it. The main reason for this is U-turn which craps on Latias and two U-turners is always better than one. This is particularly true on offesive teams that want to keep the momentum in their favour.

This is the set if you are not familiar with it. The other thing to note is that Fire Blast on this set does about the same as Overheat, you normally only get one attack this is rather tempting. Note Overheat + SR weakens those resistant to CC into SE kill range. Not only this CC becomes extremely threatening with the added investment.

Infernape@ Life Orb
Naive
252atk/64spa/192spe

Close Combat
U-turn
Stone Edge
Overheat

Anyway hope this helps and good luck with the team.

For the Infernape, I like the power that the set has, so I do not think I will be changing its spread, although I will test it. Also, I will test the Latias, but honestly am not liking the Life Orb sets very much. It has no surprise factor, and Draco Meteor forces me to switch out.

Thanks for all the rates, and I will see how all the testing goes.
Well, I always switch around the Speed and SpAtk EVs because since you're using LO, imo, it makes up for the lack of those EVs you put into Speed. But hey, that's just what I do. For the Latias, I think the extra damage is worth it since you can always recover it off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)