Gen 4 [OU] MACHAMP+SUBSTITUTE=NIGHTMARE

zapdos.png
machamp.png
jirachi.png
heatran.png
starmie.png
weavile.png

Hi, this is a solid team focused on Machamp with which I have consistently achieved pretty good results (I have been close to reaching 1600 points and have managed to stay stable at more than 1500), and I believe that it is very funny to use this team. My team consists of two powerful wallbreakers (Zapdos and Machamp) that are capable of opening multiple holes in the opposing team, which work well against all types of teams: stall, balanced and even hyper offense, since they are not fragile wallbreakers. The rest of the Pokémon are in charge of providing support, removing specific counters or spam paralysis, with the aim of facilitating the offensive power of Machamp and Zapdos.

----------------------
Teambuiliding
----------------------

068.png

1- Machamp was the first member of this team, as my goal was to build around him, more specifically Machamp with Substitute, a set much less common than the traditional Machamp lead but which can be extremely dangerous and very annoying for the opponent.

068.png
385.png

2- After studying in depth what this version of Machamp needed to work, I followed the recommendations on the smogon page for this Machamp set and decided to incorporate Jirachi, which can do paralysis spam better than anyone else (which is great for Machamp), and also offers a large amount of resistances.

068.png
385.png
485.png

3- As with Jirachi, following Smogon's recommendations I added Heatran, as it is excellent at absorbing burns (as well as poison, like Jirachi), which helps Machamp a lot. Heatran also functions as a Stealth rock setter.

145.png
068.png
385.png
485.png

4- My team did not have a lead and was very vulnerable to ground, so I decided to add Zapdos specs as a lead, which had already given me very good results with this role on other teams. It is not a suicide lead, since in most battles I always keep it alive for many turns.

145.png
068.png
385.png
485.png
121.png

5- Starmie is a spinner that fits very well into my team, and also provides excellent additional coverage against certain threats like Infernape, Gyarados or Gliscor (one of the few Pokémon that can wall Machamp).

145.png
068.png
385.png
485.png
121.png
461.png

6- Finally I added Weavile. It perfectly fulfills a series of roles that my team needed: counting Dragonite and Flygon, eliminating Ghost and Psychic, and unlike other pursuit trappers, it is a good answer to the annoying Breloom.

-----------------------------
The team in depth
-----------------------------

zapdos.png

Zapdos @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Heat Wave
- U-turn

This Pokémon is wonderful, because with choice specs it is capable of drilling the opponent’s team with devastating power. Zapdos is a great lead since it allows me to start the battle by doing a lot of damage to the opposing team in a very short time, thanks to its immense power and great coverage. One of its best weapons is the surprise factor, since very few people expect Zapdos to have choice specs. There are countless times in which my Zapdos has 2KOed Heatran or Ttar (not specially defensive) when the opponent switch them out to try to wall me, or when it OHKOed Metagross and Jirachi with Heat Wave, since many players try to put SR in front of Zapdos believing it to be a defensive version. It also surprises many Swampert with HP Flying, 2KOing them on many occasions. Together with Machamp, Zapdos is the muscle of the team and both can exert great pressure on the opponent’s team. It is worth mentioning that this Zapdos is possibly the best counter to the very dangerous Suicune, as it will always outspeed it and can KO it even after a Calm Mind boost after Stealth rock damage.

machamp.png

Machamp @ Leftovers
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dynamic Punch
- Payback
- Stone Edge

He is the core of the team and a huge (often underrated) offensive threat. Machamp with Substitute is probably one of the most difficult Pokémon to face in all of OU, although people rarely take it into account, but it can be just as annoying and dangerous as Suicune, Jirachi or Breloom (all of them are Pokémon very difficult to deal with). Machamp almost always manages to eliminate at least one Pokémon from the opponent’s team, and if it sets up a Substitute it becomes a real headache. Little can be said about his moveset, since his coverage is almost perfect.

jirachi.png

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- Fire Punch
- Substitute

This Jirachi set is diabolical and abuses the hax a lot. The standard Smogon set is brought back but with two changes: Thunder Wave and Substitute instead of Body Slam and Protect. This version of Jirachi can turn the game around at any time, especially if it sets up a Substitute, and thanks to its ability to spread paralysis it provides immense support to Machamp and Zapdos. The only problem with this set is its great vulnerability to ground type, since by not having Body slam it does not have the possibility of paralyzing Pokémon like Flygon or Swampert when I predict a switch in. Even so, Thunder Wave's paralysis spam is more beneficial to me.

heatran.png

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion

Heatran fills many roles and does them all well: it puts SR, absorbs burn and poison, walls specially offensive attackers and eliminates quite a few threats. I chose the special defensive version to better resist electric Pokémon, since my team does not have a ground type or another type that resists electric. This version is great for dealing with Rotom or Zapdos, among many other special attackers. I have varied between Leftovers or Shuca Berry, although I generally prefer the berry, because it gives me a better matchup against other Heatran or Metagross. I've also had doubts between Lava Plume or Fire Blast, since the latter does much more damage to Pokémon like Zapdos or Rotom, although I usually use Lava Plume.

starmie.png

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Surf
- Thunderbolt

My team was vulnerable to hazards, Infernape, and boosted Gyarados swept me, so Starmie was a great addition. There is not much to say about this set, it works very well as a spinner and despite not having EVs in SAt it can remove certain threats such as Gyarados, Infernape or Gliscor. I have even thought about changing Recover for Ice Beam, to avoid being a setup fodder for Dragonite, as well as not to always be forced to switch out against Breloom or Flygon, but I think that the durability that Recover gives me is more important.

weavile.png

Weavile @ Expert Belt
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick
- Ice Punch

Why did I choose Weavile over other more common trappers like Tyranitar or Scizor? The answer is Dragon type, specifically Dragonite and Flygon. My team didn't have many tools to deal with these two threats, so Weavile was my final choice. This Pokémon destroys the very present Ghost and Psychic types, in addition to the aforementioned dragons. Despite not having the power of Zapdos and Machamp and not using Swords Dance, it can do a lot of damage on the opposing team, as Weavile easily OHKOs Tyranitar, Heatran (non-defensive) and Lucario, and it can even revenge kill low HP Infernape after the Close Combat defense drop.

-----------------
Threatlist
-----------------

245.png

Suicune: Zapdos specs is possibly its best counter, but if Zapdos is no longer there Suicune can easily boost and sweep my team.

472.png
330.png

Gliscor/Flygon: Weavile and Starmie can deal with them very well, but if they have been weakened (especially Weavile) my team suffers a lot against them.

260.png

Swampert: No one on my team hits it super effectively, so I always find it very annoying, although not lethal. Zapdos, Machamp and Starmie can stand up to it.

230.png

Kingdra: it is a very situational counter, but the specs version on rain teams can destroy me easily.

------------------------
Pokepast and other teams
------------------------

https://pokepast.es/88c95f0ee84447b6
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ou-a-very-original-hail-semi-stall.3680040/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/balanced-sunny-day-bdsp-ou-team.3696418/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ou-a-pretty-solid-sinergy-balanced-team.3722318/

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/no-ou-a-serious-gimmick.3723822/

Jeong

Banned deucer.
Interesting team taking advantage of Machamp with the support of Twave rachi. That set (Sub +3 attacks) must be annoying.

I don't know to what extent Suicune can be a problem. Anyway, you can try Timid > Modest on Zapdos. It is true that it is a bit wasted if you want to squeeze its full potential, but it is just an idea.

It occurred to me, seeing that you have Uturn, to try loom, and thus press pert, for example. The problem is that the one sacrificed would be Machamp, who I assume is the base of the team. Well, I think that of the threats mentioned, pert is the most controlled.

Have you thought about a small change in Heatran? You can preserve Shuca Berry with Magma + HP Ice or Grass, as you see fit. The problem? Instead, sacrifice EP.

Congratulations on those achievements, it is a great team.

Interesting team taking advantage of Machamp with the support of Twave rachi. That set (Sub +3 attacks) must be annoying.

I don't know to what extent Suicune can be a problem. Anyway, you can try Timid > Modest on Zapdos. It is true that it is a bit wasted if you want to squeeze its full potential, but it is just an idea.

It occurred to me, seeing that you have Uturn, to try loom, and thus press pert, for example. The problem is that the one sacrificed would be Machamp, who I assume is the base of the team. Well, I think that of the threats mentioned, pert is the most controlled.

Have you thought about a small change in Heatran? You can preserve Shuca Berry with Magma + HP Ice or Grass, as you see fit. The problem? Instead, sacrifice EP.

Congratulations on those achievements, it is a great team.
Thanks a lot for your comment.

Suicune is only a problem if Zapdos has been fainted, if that's not the case, Modest Zapdos specs will always outspeed Suicune and even KO it after 1 Calm Mind. I will try your suggestions on Heatran, because seem to be good options to improve my chances against Swampert or Dragons, even if most of the times I can control them pretty well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)