Gen 5 Offense OU

FNH

F is for Finchi, N is for Nator, H is for Hater
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I love Gen 5 OU. Unfortunately some people call it is broken, because all that is used in it is weather. Which is true there is a lot of weather used in it, so what I wanted was a team that didn't have weather nor did it run the proven DragMag strategy, So what I created is a HO team, but Ho teams require a lot of work to take down a weather team. Most don't even stand a chance to one. So I wanted to build an HO team that stood a chance. To do this a strong core would be needed also. So I built a core with Starmie and Volcarona. Then I took another proven core with Terrakion and Latios. After that I wanted another great sweeper, which came in Dragonite, whose multiscale runs well with Starmie. The last part was nice, because all I needed to do is get a rocks setter.

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Endeavor
- Stealth Rock

Mamoswine possesses the easy job of setting up my rocks and then either endeavoring or ice shard the opponent dependent upon the speed. Endeavor was the selling point of this set. Because Mamoswine is faster then Politoad and other leads his endeavor wrecks havok upon them. But the rest of him is rather simple. Also I will, upon teams, opt out of rock if they are spinning, and keep Mamoswine to help break through opponents.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 40 SpA / 220 Spe
Timid Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

Starmie and Volcaronna are part of the two cores put into the team. Starmie also serves as the vital spinner for Dragonite and Volcarona to sweep. I originally had a bulky Starmie but instead swapped over to the more offensive variant to help keep my momentum going. I ran scald over surf because it holds a great chance to burn the opponent, helping further gain an upper hand. I ran Thunderbolt because of water types like Jellicent coming in to spin block. Recover is there to keep my valuable spinner going. All in all, starmie made an excellent addition on my team, and runs very well with Volcarona.

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 148 HP / 108 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground]

The Volcarona and Starmie core has never ceased to impress me in battle. Volcarona isn't stopped by much when it gets going. His moves give him great coverage, and recovery. I opted out of the leftovers, because during testing, Volcarona would get stopped short of his sweep because of status, like poison. I also added bulk to help Volcarona get set up easier. Also with the added bulk, Volcarona has a better chance of getting set up if Starmie goes down. But all in all, Volcarona is an exeptional sweeper.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed

Dragonite was not a hard choice for a second sweeper. He came up to the plate because I was running a spinner, due to the fact that with multiscale, he has a guaranteed dragon dance. His power is well known and the moveset simple. He can also help brake down wall of the like of Jellicent and Ferrothorn. He has proved to be a total power house in battle. Yet he has to be wary if multiscale is broken, due to ice from weavile, donaphan, and Mamoswine.

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Surf
- Thunderbolt

Latios is a champion, and with this set he certainly performs like one. Latios's raw power is absolutly incredible. Here are some calculations for his raw power:
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 172+ SpD Jellicent: 261-307 (64.7 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Scizor: 209-246 (74.3 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Latios Surf vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Heatran: 230-272 (59.7 - 70.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Latios Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 172+ SpD Jellicent: 240-284 (59.5 - 70.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 198-234 (49.1 - 58%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 381-448 (117.9 - 138.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
As you can see his power is tremendous. Latios's place on this team is vital for the momentum that he gains for the rest of the team. His moves are also easy and straight forward with the addition of HP fire over trick.

Terrakion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- X-scissor
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Terrakion made up another core to my team. His synergy with Latios and Dragonite is absolutely excellent. His speed and power help my team break through walls that could ruin valuable momentum. special walls can be ripped to pieces by this raging bull. Terrakion and Latios hold great synergy together. His intial point to the team is to help latios clear threats that could possible hinder Volcarona's or Dragonite's sweep. His possible threats are Jellicient and Slowbro, who both hold resistences and super effectives on him.

Threats:

Well, to my team weather is a threat because they are easier to play. They also have weather on their side(of course). So in order to take them down, it requires assessing them and which pokemon to set up. Volcarona can come out on sun teams and counter sweep, i will also get him going on rain teams because of his giga drain. Sand teams usually require Dragonite, because of the steel types it usaully carries.
If their was a pokemon that i would call most troublesome it would be CM Latios. He outspeed my team and can set on them, especially if Volcarona goes down. Keldeo can also be a threat, requiring caution and haste in setting up Volcarona.

Last edited:

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
X-Scissor>EQ on terrakion hits Celebi harder, although Rock Polish or Substitute could be better there. I'd run Life Orb (or Lum Berry?) unless I was running Sub on it.

Stone Edge>Endeavor is definitely an option on mamoswine.

Reactions: FNH

FNH

I agree with the idea of x-scissor on terrakion, but i am going to keep endeavor on mamoswine because how valuable it is against slower leads, or leads that are faster and attack first. i never considered a substitute Terrakion, yet it could prove a valuable stall breakear. Ill start testing it when PS is back up.

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey man, was nice to run into you on the ladder today. Anyway, here's the promised rate:

So you've got a solid Weatherless HO team, with answers to the key threats to weatherless (DNite + Latios for Sun, Volcarona for Mew, etc.). You have two nice win-cons in Dragonite and Volcarona, and Terrakion + Latios to soften Physical/Special walls for each.

I'll just start w/ some nitpicks. These changes you can fall back on if you don't decide to make the bigger changes I'm gonna suggest later on. First of all, I'd change lead Mamoswine's nature to Jolly instead of Adamant. This allows you to outpace the whole slew of Pokemon residing at the 262-267 speed creeping range, like Breloom (which means you can Shard before it Mach Punches), Gyarados, some Ninetales, Rotom-W, and more. It also allows you to outpace some faster stuff like Smeargle, Lucario or max speed Heatran. Mamoswine's Earthquake still hits pretty hard, so the power drop isn't /that/ noticeable and you generally benefit more from the speed. The next thing is I'd change Latios's nature from Modest to Timid, because Latios really needs the extra speed to handle threats like Keldeo, Terrakion, Garchomp, etc. and speed tie with other Lati@s. Finally, I'd add 1 more point of Speed to Starmie, ensuring that it would outspeed Tornadus.

Onto the actual rate, the first thing I'd do is change Latios's set. I'd go with Life Orb instead of Choice Specs, because since your team does not carry any reliable revenge killers, it cannot afford to allow opposing 'Mons any set-up. Life Orb obviously allows you to switch moves, generally easing prediction and making Latios a more flexible check to the 'Mons it's supposed to check. Because of this change, I would suggest Psyshock > Thunderbolt and Roost > Hidden Power Fire. The first change gives Latios a strong, spammable STAB attack that still allows it to hit Volcarona's checks like Tentacruel, Ninetales, Gyarados, Jellicent, and Terrakion for heavy, if not heavier, damage than Thunderbolt. Psyshock also hits special walls like Chansey and Blissey for heavy damage, consistently applying pressure on them for the rest of the team. The second change allows Latios more longevity and lets it become a better sun check. It also allows Latios to shrug off burns a little more easily from bulky waters. Since the rest of the team handles steel-types relatively well, HP Fire is no longer a necessity on Latios (getting rid of it also lets you use full 31 Speed IVs, allowing you to speed tie with opposing Lati@s, which are annoying for the rest of the team to handle). Finally, something I'd play with is Earthquake > Surf with a Hasty nature, which allows Latios to deal extremely heavy hits to Heatran (an OHKO after Rocks), Tyranitar, and SpDef Jirachi. Heatran in particular is important for the changes I'm about to make.

So the two things that stand out to me on your team are:
1) the general lack of speed or a revenge killer. You do bridge this gap with Ice Shard from Mamoswine and Extremespeed from Dragonite, but these are generally quite weak w/o any items backing them up (or STAB, in Dragonite's case). This, coupled with the fact that you typically use Mamoswine as a suicide lead, means you struggle with opposing set-up sweepers (ex. Dragonite can set up on your Volcarona, Landorus can set up on Terrakion, etc.)

2) the lack of a steel-type, basically meaning you have to sack something every time an opposing Lati@s or Salamence or w/e comes in.

I'm gonna suggest you put a Choice Scarf Jirachi over Mamoswine. Scarf Jirachi is an overall cohesive 'Mon for Weatherless Offense, and can offer your team a Draco Meteor switchin, revenge killer (it can RK Dragons with Ice Punch), a source of momentum w/ U-Turn, and a solid anti-lead and SR preventer (vs. opposing stuff like Mamoswine, Terrakion, Tyranitar, Aerodactyl, etc. it gives you a 60% chance of preventing SR w/ Iron Head, and can also prevent Lead Breloom from doing anything 60% of the time). You can also use Healing Wish to give one of your set-up sweepers a second chance. Although Jirachi makes Heatran more of an annoyance to the team, EQ on Latios bridges this gap quite well. To alleviate the problem of a dedicated SR lead, I'm gonna suggest Focus Sash > Leftovers on Terrakion, and Stealth Rock > X-Scissor. Healing Wish on Jirachi is also relevant here, because if Terrakion has been weakened without its Sash being used, you can Healing Wish it back to full, while keeping its Sash intact, similar to Latias + Sashspam strategies in XY. Terrakion offers powerful Fighting STAB to pressure Heatran, Chansey and Ferrothorn for Volcarona, Jirachi, and Latios, and can also offer an emergency Gyarados check with its Sash. You can play around w/ the Swords Dance slot. Taunt is an option to shut down opposing leads, but since Jirachi can do a similar thing w/ most leads, you can also try out Hidden Power Ice to lure Landorus-T for Jirachi and Dragonite. using HP Ice also allows you to beat lead Garchomp 1v1, as using Close Combat forces your Sash to be broken by Rough Skin. Finally, you can keep Swords Dance for a more offensive take, but typically Terrakion doesn't get much of a chance to set up and it doesn't add too much to the rest of your team.

I find Thunderbolt a little redundant on Starmie as it still doesn't do that much damage to Jellicent, while making Starmie a worse check to Fighting-types and the like. I'd suggest Psyshock/Psychic > Thunderbolt, because it can do more damage to Keldeo/Terrakion, while being able to OHKO Gengar. Psyshock allows you to have a guaranteed OHKO on Gengar and do more damage to Terrakion in the sand, but Psychic is generally more powerful, does more damage to Jellicent, OHKOs 4/0 Breloom, and has a chance for a SpDef drop, although it cannot guarantee an OHKO on Gengar (there's still a high chance of it). This change makes you a little weaker to Gyarados, but now that you have LO > Specs Latios it doesn't find as many chances to set up, and it can also be handled between Sash Terrakion and Dragonite (and finished off with Jirachi if necessary).

Since you have Heatran (and also Tentacruel) pretty well covered now, I'd suggest putting Bug Buzz > HP Ground on Volcarona. This allows you to threaten Lati@s (otherwise they could just sit there and Psyshock you to death), Reuniclus (a popular threat in the current meta), Kyurem-B, Mew (a big threat to Weatherless), and also stuff like Tyranitar, and overall just giving you a strong, spammable STAB attack. I'd also consider Fiery Dance > Flamethrower, as generally I don't find the extra power to be needed, and Fiery Dance allows you to "snowball" SpAtk boosts to sweep more easily. Looking at the rest of the team, I'd consider a more bulky spread, maybe something like 128 HP / 176 SpA / 204 Spe with a Modest Nature, but that's honestly up to personal preference. I just don't find Timid to be /that/ useful, with the main thing being tying w/ Scarf Rachi and Mence at +1, but Jirachi can't touch you and you can't touch Mence anyway. Seeing as Jirachi has Healing Wish, you could go for Leftovers > Lum Berry as well, but again, that's a personal preference thing.

The last thing I'd do is opt for CBNite > DDNite, because CBNite can push significant damage on Steels without needing any setup, something that's important for the rest of the team. It also boosts ExtremeSpeed's power to solid levels, allowing Dragonite to better RK stuff like Gyarados, or check dangerous Sun sweepers. Additionally, with Terrakion luring Landorus-T with HP Ice, Dragonite can really wreak havoc with its STAB CB Outrage. The good thing about CBNite is that it can run more coverage, namely, both Fire Punch and Superpower/Earthquake to hit all of Ferrothorn, Jirachi, and Heatran.

Anyway, great team, and let me know if my suggestions helped!

TL;DR:

@
-->
@

-->

@
-->
@

@
-->
@

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Earthquake

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 240 HP / 40 Def / 4 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Psyshock

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 128 HP / 176 SpA / 204 Spe
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

FNH

Hey thanks for the help on the team:D. I have been playing with a different version of the team that includes a Jirachi and a Lando-t lead instead of Mamoswine, and i really like Jirachi's synergy with Latios. HP ground on Volcarona was only for Heatran but other wise useless. I really appreciate the Help Thanks Again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)