ORAS OU Nunc et Semper

Hey everyone, Snowy here! Been a while since I've actually posted a thread in this forum, in fact my first post was the last time I made one and damn have a lot of things changed since then. Anyway, I've decide to post here to present to you maybe not the most creative team on the market or the most exciting to use, but defiantly one of the most effective ones when it comes to the ladder. This team was originally something I made during the mid to late X&Y era and I was inspired to modified to better fit the bill for ORAS, thanks to Jariibo reminding me of how awesome it was. So without further a do, lets get into the team!

First Again zzz.png

As I said, it's been a while since I actually made this team in it's original form, so I might not recall the correct reasoning behind why I put everything together, but ill try and recall as best I can.

So the team originally started out with me wanting to build around Jellicent and SpD Talonflame, as at the time neither of these Pokemon we're getting the respect and usage they deserved (obviously nobody gives a fuck about Jellicent still, but SpD Talonflame blew up during ORAS)

I then added Mega Sableye, as a good partner for Talonflame, as it prevents rocks from being set up and can eat almost any physical hit for Talonflame that opponents might try to throw at it.

Then Zapdos was added next, as another form of hazard removal, a better stop to all variations of Scizor (at the time I was using taunt Talonflame, so if they got to plus 2 there was nothing I could do about it), a Bird check and a great form of momentum which normally isn't gifted to builds like this.

Unaware Clefable followed, as a way to stop the team from being shredded by Pokemon with access to set up moves, it allowed me to make switch in a lot safer for the rest of my team with Wish support and also as a back up win condition to help close off games.

The second fat blob was added as a more reliable answer to hard hitting special attacker like Zard Y, Mega Gardevoir (I know it has Psyshock and taunt, but the spread was designed to take it on better) and Kyurem-b. It also acted as the cleric and stealth rock setter for my team, which are two hugely important and necessary components needed to pull this team off.

With the modification that I made during ORAS, not much really changed team member wise, other then the unfortunate departure of Jellicent from my team. After talking with Ox the Fox about the team, who helped a great deal with new sets and so on, he suggest Slowbro as I got completely romped by Zard X, Banded Azumarill and also SD Diggersby. So basically, it acted as a back up wall to these Pokemon and also to spread hazards through Scald and Thunder Wave

Slowbro @
| Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Originally Calm Mind mono attacking Slowbro, to punish Pokemon like SpD Talonflame and gliscor, but was then later changed, as I become set up fodder for things like CM Keldeo and provided unnecessary pressure on Clefable. This set and spread is really nothing complicated or special, but it gets the job done. Like I said in my team building process, I needed this as a back up check to Azumarill, Zard X, SD Diggersby, Keldeo and threats a like. I choose it to for fill these roles over any other Pokemon I possible could have selected, because of its ability to spread status, hurt and reliable cripple the things I wanted, whilst having the bulk to take one boosted hit from these threats. I also loved the fact that it did mind being pursuit trapped all that much, as it would recover 1/3 of it's health every time it switched out, which is great considering the rise in trappers like Weavile who would other ways claim the life of my Slowbro very early on, which would be dreadful considering how important its role on my team is.

Talonflame | Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Acrobatics
- Bulk Up
- Roost

SpD Talonflame is honestly such a stupidly good Pokemon, that has become more and more popular during ORAS. I'm kind of glad I found this hidden gem as soon as I did, as it completely destroys and hassles the fuck out of teams, making your opponent become more predictable, especially when it comes to them having to set hazards. I choose Acrobatics, because you can bluff that your offensive just by taking sand damage or any form of prior damage, as your opponent will see that you don't have Leftovers and are will be more willing to think your banded, Sharp Peak or something along those lines. This is great, because it makes players more relaxed about going into Pokemon like Landorus-T, Garchomp and Hippo, which then I can proceed to freely burn and neuter them for the rest of game hopefully. Bulk up was used over both Swords Dance and Taunt, because I never actually used Taunt at all when I had it on, solely because the only reason I had it on, was to shut down Heatran and other status users that Talonflame could handle. With Chansey though, as both a Cleric and a status absorber I never felt pressured from Heatran. The reason I choose Bulk Up, was because it felt like it was better due to my weakness to Mega Gardevoir and the fact that it let me have a lot more set up opportunities to help me close out the game.

Sableye @
image.jpg
| Prankster/Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off
- Recover

Sableye is another one of my favorite Pokemon that has recently been introduced, with its great typing leaving it only weak to Fairies, wide variety of moves to select from, respectable stats and a great ability both pre-mega evolution and post-mega evolution! This thing just sat so nicely with this team, as it supported the rest of the members on my team perfectly with, Magic Guard preventing Hazards from going on the field, Will-O-Wisp spreading status and STAB Knock Off to remove those pesky items. I usually lead with this Pokemon 99% of the time, as it allows me to immediately have a way to deal with hazards, which is why I have Fake Out on it, as it guarantees a free mega evolution turn one. Fake out is also nice to get chip damage and even finish things off that don't resist it and no longer have any form of recovery. The original set was the Calm Mind variation with Shadow Ball, but I felt like the current set works the best in this meta and decided to go with it based off this. I choose to go max defensive over the mixed spread because I really didn't fell endangered by things like Alakazam or Gangar, with Talonflame and Chansey lying around, so I thought it would be best to maximize it defenses to take on threats like Weavile, which could other wise put some serious holes in my team, with the combination of Knock Off and Icicle Crash.

Zapdos @
| Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave

I absolutely love this Pokemon, literally one of my favorite Pokemon of all time and I'm glad at how nicely it was able to fit onto this team! Zapdos main purpose is to serve as a more reliable answer to both Scizor and Bisharp, as Talonflame isnt really designed to take hits from these Pokemon, despite the fact that it can. The thing I like most abut Zapdos on this team is that it give's me momentum through a fairly strong STAB volt switch, which is awesome because it allows me to put my Pokemon in favorable match ups without having to take damage before hand. It also gives me a reliable way to keep hazards off the field, which is really important for a team that is going to be doing a lot of switching.

Clefable @
| Unaware
Ability: Unaware
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Calm Mind

Clefable is without a doubt one of the best Pokemon the current OU meta has to offer at the moment, with its great typing, abilities, move pool and respectable stats. All these reasons are part of why why Clefable is one of the most if not the most important member to this team, and for a very good reason. By looking at my team, you can probably notice that a lot of set up Pokemon like Belly Drum Azumarill, Manaphy and Mega Altaria can begin to tear this team apart once they have obtained the required boosts needed to do this, but that's where Clefable comes in. With Unaware, Wish and Protect it is effectively able to take on all these set up Pokemon, unlike unaware Clefable that run Moonlight and can be staled out of pp quickly. It can also use these basically free switch ins to pass a wish or start setting up Calm Minds and going for the win.

Chansey @
| Natural Cure
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled

The blob is here, as much as I hate using it. There really was no better Pokemon for the job sadly, although I did consider Lickilicky at one point, but it wasn't fat enough for it to for fill the roles that I wanted it too. Chansey was placed on this team to simply eat hits, absorb status and act as the teams Cleric and Stealth Rock setter. The EVs might look a little weird to some, but I have them in place to better take on Pokemon such as Mega Gardevoir, who have access to Psyshock and taunt which would other wise be dealing a load of damage and without being able to recover I would lose verses it every time. With this spread however, you can better take Psyshock allowing you to win the war verses Pokemon like Mega Gardevoir. the Spread is also really nice for mixed attackers like Mega Diancie, Kyurem-b and Tornadus-T

- This thing just spell trouble, with everything on my team being 2hko'd or Ohko'd by one of its two STAB moves. Best thing to do is try and get soething in on a resisted hit and hope you can live the next move, if not, then your going to have to sack something.

- Another underrated threat that I found out completely destroys me if not for so luck when versing Updated Kanto. Life Orb Poison Jab Ohko's Clefable and with a boost up the rest of my team is sure to fall soon after.

+
- Landorus-T plus Mega Manectric and any volt-turn cores can be really problematic, as I no way of stopping them freely volt switching and u-turning. Best way of dealing with this is getting up Stealth Rocks as soon as possible and using your recovery moves when in match ups like Talonflame vs. Mega Mane, as that forces your opponent out into something else and has the potential to kill there momentum.

As much as I fuck around and talk shit, I honestly love you all and this room has become my home here on PS! and I seriously don't think I would enjoy playing and spend time on this game without everyone from the room being there to kick back with me.

Bluwing - You first introduced me to bof and everyone there and help me out a lot, and I dont think I would be any where near as good as I am today without you. Thanks man, means a lot, but can you please stop posting fat chicks in the chat.

Alkov - Biggest fuck wit I know on this site, I don't even know how many times you've ban me from bof. In say that, your a pretty cool guy, whose fun to kick it with and is always down to help me out when I need it.

Fire Lord Mako - The amount of times I've told you i would quit this game is retarded and yet you still talk with me. Thanks for being a true friend g, means a lot.

Metal Sonic - You help me out a bunch as my tutor and helped me bring my ladder hero dreams to reality, thanks man.

Pottie Scippen. - Honestly one of my best friends on this site, who kept me from quitting when I came back after my two months of leave. I remember all the fucked up and even deep shit we use to say to each, I miss those days man, please come back.

The Goomy - Haven't known you that long, but you've already had such a huge impact on me. Really awesome, creative and helpfully guy that has a lot to offer especially this rmt format. Thanks for helping me out man, appreciate it, one day I hope my memes are as dank as yours.

Prankster - "Congrats on driver Snowy." the amount of times I have seen this is fucked and would be enough for someone to lose there shit, but for some reason I never do. Really great friend of mine who is always down to practice and help me out with team. Now go win DPP Cup and the rest of Smogon Classic.

Ox the Fox - already gave you a shoutout zzz. In all seriousness, besides helping me with this team, you've always been down to lend a hand with teams and just general advice, thanks g.

Tom Bus - Since when I first came to Bof you helped me out a lot and taught me a bunch of shit despite me pestering the fuck out of you. Thanks for always helping man, means a lot.

aim gave me so cool team rating advice, taught me how to do analyses (although i have yet to do one haha) and is generally a chill guy to talk to and offers so great help.

McMeghan - Gave me some really valuable advice and even helped me out with some connection problems. Just a straight up genuinely nice and kind person, whose always has something positive to say.

Leftiez - After I came off like a huge dick to you, you gave me a second chance to redeem myself and I'm glad you did. Thanks for giving me all that help and advice, and I'll get back to actively rating this weekend hopefully when I land in NZ.

Nelson - Another person I meet recently, but is cool af and always done to listen to my retarded ideas. He also came up with the name for the RMT, thanks a bunch g, gl in WCOP.

Sky Pillar - We recently started up, but it's a really tight room run by one of my favorite user PoMMan and also has a bunch of other cool friends likes njnp and Analytic . Let keep it going guys.

The rest of BOF - Bunch of cool people that are always banning me for no fucking reason, but I love you guys in a straight way and the majority of you have helped me out or just given me something to laugh at, thanks.

Was going through my replays with this team, and noticed that I had a handful of games that showed off the team really nicely, so I decide that I should implement them in here. Sorry this is coming in late, but better late than never I suppose. If you have any good replays you get with the team, hit me up and ill happily add them in!

Vs. Bloo - http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-242938602 - Probably the best game I had with team and certainly an enjoyable one. This game perfectly demonstrates just how effective this team is, as it takes down one of the best players to ever grace this game even with luck not being on my side.

Vs. Evanston - http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-242619936 - This game was fucking hilarious. After nearly choking on dicks, I managed to pull it out of my ass against a very competent player.

Vs. Alkov - http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-242593162 - This is my revenge for that UU suspect game. Team operating nicely against one of ABR lord squad.

There are just a few things I wanted to jot down before I wrap this up, so bare with me while I go through them. First off, sorry for the wall of shoutouts, it's just that I never knew anyone the first time around that I did this, but now im surrounded by a bunch of cool people that I want to say thanks to. Secondly, despite the shit semi-stall/stall gets, I think it's honestly a very hard play style to play, as it takes careful long term thinking and patients to achieve a win, which is not something you will be able to see with any other play style. Thirdly, I would really appreciate any rate, as im always looking to improve upon my teams. Thanks everyone . Finally, thanks everyone who actually took the time to read this and even give it a rate, means a lot to me.

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Acrobatics
- Bulk Up
- Roost

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off
- Recover

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Calm Mind

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled

Last edited:
I love this team. I'm a huge fan of Mega Sableye, and Sab + Talon has been pretty much my favourite cores to use in ORAS. I've used this a bit on the ladder, for like 20 battles or so (I was around 1700 iirc just for reference) and I have a few questions more-so than changes, although I did make a few changes to the team after I used it.

Firstly, you never explained why you chose Twave over something like Toxic on Slowbro, I personally rarely used Twave at all, and if i did, it was on things like Zard X which I would have preferred to Toxic, so I could spam recover, or switch to Clef and Wish spam as they died. I found Toxic was also better used to hit things like Rotom-W on the switch, as Rotoms, like to come in on Slowbro and you really can't touch them, and because this is stall, I'm not inclined to make a bunch of aggressive doubles. I also found that Toxic is a nice option to ever so slightly lessen the bad matchup vs Volt-Turn seeing that the majority of Volt-Turn users, specifically the Electric types (and Lando-T), like to come in on Slowbro and are immune to Twave, or in Manec's case, get a boost from it, you can hit them with the Toxic on the switch, making them a little easier to eventually wear down. I just feel like in general Toxic has a little better utility on this team over Twave, but that's just my opinion.

One other thing I had to change was adding Leftovers to Talon, and then obviously using Brave Bird over Acro. I made this because I found myself struggling to come in on things Talon is supposed to check, like Gengar, as as much as Talon is fully invested, it's still not that bulky, and I feel like the passive recovery is really worthwhile over the downside of being weaker to the initial Knock Off. I understand the merit of no item + Acro, makes it a bit easier to come in on Bisharp or M-Sciz and deal with it. But I just felt like Zap handled Bish and Sciz sufficiently enough and that the added recovery was worthwhile, especially with things like Sand, or residual from Rough Skin wearing down Talon also. Its not like the Brave Bird Recoil is that relevant when you're only really using Brave Bird to kill of a weakened mons, usually Talon just comes in, spams WoW and Roost until all its checks are weakened and it can sweep with Bulk Up (At least thats how I used it).

Anyway, these are just tiny nitpicks to a fantastic team that I really enjoyed using. Well built team, and RMT :]
Thanks for your compliments man, means a lot! I honestly really like your idea of Toxic > Thunder Wave, as like you said, it allows me to deal with volt-turn and general switch in's into Thunder Wave(There are obviously other perks, but I wont go into huge detail's about them here). To answer your question on why I choose it other than a stop to Zard X was, to allow my fairly slow team to be able to reduce the gap in pace and out speed the opponents hard hitters that would normally 2hko, so I can come in, take the hit and recover off the damage before the next incoming hit. The Acrobatic's vs. Brave Bird case, is just a matter of preference to me, as I dont like taking that extra recoil verses fat Pokemon, as this is my main sweeper and I don't want it's live to end short before it gets the job done, due to recoil damage. Thanks again for the rate man, I'll be sure to try out Toxic on Slowbro and maybe even revert back to Brave Bird.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Nice Stall.

But seriously despite being infuriating to face I can see why this team is so effective. However, one thing that stands out to me is how much specs Keldeo actually threatens you. Like, if slowbro dies (which it can to keldeo even), you have very little to actually stop it from spamming specs hydros. To somewhat remedy this, I suggest that you give slowbro 40 special defense EVs. This ensures that it will never be 2HKOed by a specs Hydro pump after stealth rock.

Another thing that stands out to me is that volt switchers that are played well kinda rek you. there's not much you can do about this (Quagsire over clef helps but opens you up to manaphy and serperior more), but one thing to consider is running 96 special defense evs on clefable. It helps against electrics since you'll wall them better and also against manaphy, as bar scald burns, it won't be able to beat you outside of rain.

That's really it. The changes are optional but I feel that they'll help in the long run should you continue to use the team. Hope this helped.

Nice Stall.

But seriously despite being infuriating to face I can see why this team is so effective. However, one thing that stands out to me is how much specs Keldeo actually threatens you. Like, if slowbro dies (which it can to keldeo even), you have very little to actually stop it from spamming specs hydros. To somewhat remedy this, I suggest that you give slowbro 40 special defense EVs. This ensures that it will never be 2HKOed by a specs Hydro pump after stealth rock.

Another thing that stands out to me is that volt switchers that are played well kinda rek you. there's not much you can do about this (Quagsire over clef helps but opens you up to manaphy and serperior more), but one thing to consider is running 96 special defense evs on clefable. It helps against electrics since you'll wall them better and also against manaphy, as bar scald burns, it won't be able to beat you outside of rain.

That's really it. The changes are optional but I feel that they'll help in the long run should you continue to use the team. Hope this helped.
Hey Clone, thanks for your reply man, means a lot! I actually really agree with you here, and was originally recommend to add some investment into to Slowbro to better take on things like Keldeo. The only reason I haven't done so yet, is because of how threatening Banded Azumarill and SD Diggersby are, as this is my main switch in to both and considering that Banded Azumarill has a nice chance to 2hko Slowbro from full with max investment and +2 Diggersby barely misses out on the kill from full, and is making me not to motivated to change it. I have also like the idea of making my Clefable mixed in defenses, as things like Thunderus can give me a lot of trouble. Anyway, thanks again for your advice man, ill give it a go on the new alt i'm ladder this team with, that has the changes recommended here.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)