Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Freeze-Dry
- Roost
- Substitute / Hidden Power Fighting / Hidden Power Ground
Even tho it is 4x weak to rocks, Articuno puts in work in every game. It outspeeds Monferno, Grumpig and Stout, has access to Freeze-Dry + Hurricane making it able to hit most of the tier for normal or supereffective damage. Since pokemon like Pawniard and Probopass have no problem in switching into Articuno, hp fighting or ground can be a good forth slot option, the first one for hitting Rotom and the latter for hitting Metang.
I like to run Leftovers + Sub because of the bulk Articuno has, allowing it to sub on a lot of defensive mons even if not invested. It is in fact a good counter for Gourgeist and Audino, mons that are gaining more usage lately. Moreover, thanks to pressure, it can effectively pressure stall if needed. Gaining back some hp every turn with Leftovers, and not taking LO recoil (but giving up some wallbreaking power) help stalling and give more longevity in general.

Solrock @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun
- Zen Headbutt / Rock Slide
Solrock is another mon i'm liking lately. Over other stealth rockers it has reliable recovery and access to wow. Moreover levitate allows Solrock to take mons like Golem and Arbok (aqua tail or seed bomb are not common) and burn them. Zen headbutt is usefull for hitting Roselia, Machoke and Monferno, while rock slide can hit Vullaby before defog. It represents a nice alternative to standard rockers.

Hope to help creating some sort of discussion about the meta!!

One thing that i've been discussing briefly among some friends is the idea of a potential carracosta re-test.

Most people who I have spoken to agreed about it being banned too quickly and it was a rash decision, and that whilst having barbaracle in the tier alongside the turtle, it seemed a lot more threatening to be able to check both, whereas the reality of it is that it was never really that broken to begin with.

Whilst saying that, I feel that the meta has come a long way, and that it can add a lot of defensive qualities to the tier such as a normal resist or a different stealth rock setter, whilst i also find it may find it harder to get setup opportunities as 4-5 members on each team will usually have a way to hit it super effectively, hence the smash set being a lot easier to handle.

I'm not 100% convinced on the idea, but I think it's worth bring it up for discussion because although i enjoy the meta as it is, I am always looking to give new things a chance or old things that were once deemed broken. I'm interested to hear others opinion on this topic, especially since I'm still learning the tier fully, so go easy on me :toast:

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
One thing that i've been discussing briefly among some friends is the idea of a potential carracosta re-test.

Most people who I have spoken to agreed about it being banned too quickly and it was a rash decision, and that whilst having barbaracle in the tier alongside the turtle, it seemed a lot more threatening to be able to check both, whereas the reality of it is that it was never really that broken to begin with.

Whilst saying that, I feel that the meta has come a long way, and that it can add a lot of defensive qualities to the tier such as a normal resist or a different stealth rock setter, whilst i also find it may find it harder to get setup opportunities as 4-5 members on each team will usually have a way to hit it super effectively, hence the smash set being a lot easier to handle.

I'm not 100% convinced on the idea, but I think it's worth bring it up for discussion because although i enjoy the meta as it is, I am always looking to give new things a chance or old things that were once deemed broken. I'm interested to hear others opinion on this topic, especially since I'm still learning the tier fully, so go easy on me :toast:
At the time the Smash set was really hard to be prepared for as you would have to have at least two checks just to cover Barbaracle. This also left you weak to dual set up teams and also made it harder to check for Ice types and the like. the Metagame has changed so it is possible the Smash set with just Costa won't be as unhealthy as it once was. I also find myself missing the defensive set and i feel that set would be great for the tier and is definitely not broken. So i think we should really think how the tier would handle the smash set before we fully consider this. I Feel it would be strong as it was before while the best checks to it hate taking and ice beam and it's not hard to get them in range of a +2 hit. Also Dodrio and Stoutland would become a liability again as it also aids in setting Costa Up. Another thing to consider is that a lot of electric types have fallen in favor of Rotom-Frost and a ScarfTom locked into blizzard once again becomes a liability, Non scarfed is out sped at +2 and OHKO'd. I realize the tier would have to adjust around it but i feel that it may still be a bit too unhealthy as teams struggle to check it Offensively and Defensively.

Crustle is neat because it has so many options. It gets lots of random coverage (Aerial Ace for all those Machokes, Knock Off which is cool in general, Earthquake for EdgeQuake, hell it even gets Poison Jab and Shadow Claw), 2 different kinds of hazards (stealth rocks and spikes), a multi-hit move to break through sashes, Sturdy+Counter, and tons of boosting moves, the most notable being of course Shell Smash. As a mon with Shell Smash+Sturdy, it isn't forced to run white herb like Huntail and Gorebyss, it can choose to run Lum Berry instead, and this is cool because it doesn't have to worry as much about Scald burns (like Golem does.) I'm curious to see how it turns out in PU, and whether people will run it as a suicide lead or Shell Smasher. It also hits the entire tier neutrally except for Fighting types and Steel types, which coverage and teammates can alleviate. However, super bulky defensive mons counter/check it pretty well. It is also relatively slow even after a boost, as Adamant at +2 hits 378 speed and Jolly at +2 hits 414 speed, both of which are easily revenged by common scarfers. Overall, I'm excited to use Crustle and eager to see what niche it performs!

ShuckleDeath

I have built and got a few test games using shell smash Crustle as i know a lot of us our curious about it.

Crustle @ Lum Berry
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Knock Off/Earthquake
- Shell Smash

So at first glance this set doesn't look to impressive, but i feel it does have some quirks. while base 45 speed is rather slow it has access to Weak Armor and with good natural physical bulk it will be surviving most neutral hits, giving it +1 speed on top of it's +2 boost if played well. This helps with fast scarfers as well as things like Ninjask. Also note that +2 adamant does in fact out speed Zebstrika. Rock is a very good offensive type and it will be hitting that dosent resist it hard. X-Scissor is great for Mons Like tangela although you are still not OHKOing defensive tangela.(which makes knock Off cool here as you can lure it in before set up) i went with Knock off lum as non Foul Play Gourgeist no longer Check at +2, Earthquake is also a nice choice as it aids with steel types such a pawnaird and probopass. Very cool attributes here if you ask me.

Now that you heard the pros i unfortunately have some Cons. for one it is weak to priority, Floatzels aqua jet and Metangs and Machokes bullet punch obviously being the big ones. it also is fairly difficult to set up, while it sets up all over Stoutland's ass it has a lot of weaknesses and subpar Special Bulk, making set up opportunitys slim. It needs a good deal of support to clean on a consistent bases but i also feel like it is certainly a viable set.

Hi, I figure I'll post a bit about Crustle as well as something else I think is pretty solid in this meta right now.

Crustle @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Shell Smash
- Stone Edge

So here's another set Crustle can run that is pretty nice. Basically just hazard stack, and if their lead isn't a Golem or something and they try to go into a defogger like Vullaby or Swanna, you can Shell Smash and start wallbreaking, making sure to keep hazards up. Custap is obviously nice along with Sturdy so you can get off a last hit once you've been weakened to that point.

Crustle @ White Herb
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor / Knock Off

Now this is a little different from ShuckleDeath's set in the fact that I'm running Sturdy and White Herb. Now one of the big problems with offensive Shell Smash Crustle is the fact that it's still outsped by Choice Scarfers like Rotom-F, Simipour, and Mr. Mime, even if it's Jolly. With Sturdy, if you Shell Smash at full health as your opponent goes into a scarfer, you get the opportunity to Shell Smash again and outspeed them. I went with White Herb here so you don't become weak to priority like Pawniard's Sucker Punch and realistically if you're running Lum Berry to sort of lure Gourgeist-XL, it can just use Synthesis as you Knock and deal a lot more damage with Foul Play, but that's more of your choice there.

Politoed @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

So here's a really solid set right now as well. As Megazard said, strong wallbreakers are really nice right now for breaking balance, and Politoed seems outclassed by Lapras, however Politoed has the ever-so-broken Scald, making it very hard to switch into, even with bulkier Pokemon. Politoed also isn't weak to Stealth Rock, meaning it can switch into Water-types with more confidence, not having to worry about losing 25% every time it comes into Stealth Rock.

In terms of how Crustle will affect the meta, I honestly don't think it'll be as good as some people are saying, but I could definitely see it being solid enough for maybe A-, seeing as it faces a lot of competition as a Stealth Rock lead from Golem, which also boasts an Electric immunity. As an offensive Shell Smasher, I could definitely see it carving a niche for itself in the meta, being sort of like Barbaracle in the fact that it discourages choice locked Normal-types like Stoutland, however it's just different because Stoutland isn't on every other team now lol.

...being sort of like Barbaracle in the fact that it discourages choice locked Normal-types like Stoutland, however it's just different because Stoutland isn't on every other team now lol.
I feel like this is gonna be a big plus to using Crustle. Being able to get off a Shell Smash and revenge after stoutland just killed a mon is something that can benefit our meta right now. I'm really looking forward to the addition of another normal resist that can actually turn momentum. I feel as though X-Scissor is gonna be a must run on a lot of sets because grass types are gonna be the only thing stopping this force. Adamant crustle can outspeed zebstrika at +2 and the only form of priority that does any significant damage to it is Floatzel's banded aqua jet. Because of its great offensive typing, it manages to take a lot of hits neutrally and I feel as though this will give it setup opportunities on mons like Monferno, Stunfisk, Bouffalant, Arbok, ect. Lastly, I feel as though scarfers or priority Aqua Jet users will become more popular due to the necessity of outspeeding this powerhouse at +2. I have a sneaky suspicion that Crustle is gonna be of lordly caliber here and I'm really hyped to use it in different roles on my teams.
Revenge after +2
252 Atk Choice Band Floatzel Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Crustle: 140-168 (49.8 - 59.7%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO - Good Revenge Option
252+ Atk Iron Fist Monferno Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Crustle: 51-61 (18.1 - 21.7%) -- possible 5HKO
252+ Atk Machoke Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Crustle: 68-80 (24.1 - 28.4%) -- 94.7% chance to 4HKO
252+ Atk Pawniard Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Crustle: 90-106 (32 - 37.7%) -- 92.2% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Mr. Mime Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Crustle: 156-184 (55.5 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO - Good Revenge Option
252 SpA Rotom-F Blizzard vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Crustle: 196-232 (69.7 - 82.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO - Better Revenge Option
252 Atk Choice Band Ninjask X-Scissor vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Crustle: 126-148 (44.8 - 52.6%) -- 25.8% chance to 2HKO - Good Revenge Option
252 SpA Simipour Surf vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Crustle: 306-362 (108.8 - 128.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO -Best Revenge Option

Setup Opportunities

252+ Atk Monferno Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Crustle: 127-150 (45.1 - 53.3%) -- 35.5% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Stoutland Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Crustle: 100-118 (35.5 - 41.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Arbok Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Crustle: 74-88 (26.3 - 31.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252+ Atk Bouffalant Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Crustle: 88-104 (31.3 - 37%) -- 76.6% chance to 3HKO
0 SpA Stunfisk Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Crustle: 103-123 (36.6 - 43.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO -Possible Twave fourth move innovation?

Kill Opporunities
+2 252+ Atk Crustle Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Golem: 306-362 (101.6 - 120.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Crustle Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Vullaby: 336-396 (97.9 - 115.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Crustle X-Scissor vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Quilladin: 230-272 (70.7 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Crustle X-Scissor vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 145-172 (38.8 - 46.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery -Gourgeist always coming through with the stops
+2 252+ Atk Crustle Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Stunfisk: 310-366 (73.4 - 86.7%)

5gen

jumper
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I have built and got a few test games using shell smash Crustle as i know a lot of us our curious about it.

Crustle @ Lum Berry
Ability: Weak Armor
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Knock Off/Earthquake
- Shell Smash

So at first glance this set doesn't look to impressive, but i feel it does have some quirks. while base 45 speed is rather slow it has access to Weak Armor and with good natural physical bulk it will be surviving most neutral hits, giving it +1 speed on top of it's +2 boost if played well. This helps with fast scarfers as well as things like Ninjask. Also note that +2 adamant does in fact out speed Zebstrika. Rock is a very good offensive type and it will be hitting that dosent resist it hard. X-Scissor is great for Mons Like tangela although you are still not OHKOing defensive tangela.(which makes knock Off cool here as you can lure it in before set up) i went with Knock off lum as non Foul Play Gourgeist no longer Check at +2, Earthquake is also a nice choice as it aids with steel types such a pawnaird and probopass. Very cool attributes here if you ask me.

Now that you heard the pros i unfortunately have some Cons. for one it is weak to priority, Floatzels aqua jet and Metangs and Machokes bullet punch obviously being the big ones. it also is fairly difficult to set up, while it sets up all over Stoutland's ass it has a lot of weaknesses and subpar Special Bulk, making set up opportunitys slim. It needs a good deal of support to clean on a consistent bases but i also feel like it is certainly a viable set.
I've been using this set (but rock blast>stone edge to break sashes and subs) since Crustle was legal on the PU Ladder and it's a pretty nice mon. Once you get a shell smash up Crustle can be pretty hard to stop. I feel a great partner for SS Crustle is Swanna. It deals with most of the cons you mentioned. For example, Crustle can have trouble breaking through pokes like Machoke, Colbur Gourgeist-Super and grounds like Golem and Stunfisk, which Swanna can just hurricane or surf/scald. The bird also clears hazards of the field with defog, allowing Crustle to switch in without losing health and keep it's sturdy (if running that).

All in all, Swanna deals with the problems Crustle faces and provides it opportunities to set up. However, these two mons fear rock type moves, and electrics like Zebstrika can freely run through the core (
252 SpA Life Orb Zebstrika Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Crustle: 136-161 (48.3 - 57.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock) so adding a pokemon to deal with them would greatly benefit them.

Last edited:
All in all, Swanna deals with the problems Crustle faces and provides it opportunities to set up. However, these two mons fear rock type moves, and electrics like Zebstrika can freely run through the core (
252 SpA Life Orb Zebstrika Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Crustle: 136-161 (48.3 - 57.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock) so adding a pokemon to deal with them would greatly benefit them.
I guess Stunfisk could help dealing with Zebby but it will still have problems against other Rock types like Golem... Then, maybe a bulky Grass Type (probably Geist) could help against those, as long as it does invest a little bit in special defense to stomach an Overheat...
I've been using that Crustle-Swanna core with physically defensive Rose with enough speed investment to outrun Adamant Golem and has been pulling its weight, but sometimes I feel is just not enough... Some other ideas guys?

ShuckleDeath

I guess Stunfisk could help dealing with Zebby but it will still have problems against other Rock types like Golem... Then, maybe a bulky Grass Type (probably Geist) could help against those, as long as it does invest a little bit in special defense to stomach an Overheat...
I've been using that Crustle-Swanna core with physically defensive Rose with enough speed investment to outrun Adamant Golem and has been pulling its weight, but sometimes I feel is just not enough... Some other ideas guys?
id Rather use Quiladan than Physdef Roselia myself. it also sounds Like AV bouf might be good here as well it works great with swanna and helps with things like Scarf Mr.Mime

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
So I thought I would just use this thread as a dumping ground for some sets that I have used recently that do well against the current metagame, and are either innovative or underrated.

Beheeyem @ Assault Vest
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

This gets reputation as a shit set, but I assure you after testing this thing, it is absolutely not. AV BHM is absolutely golden vs balance and offense as it forces sacks vs practically every special attacker in the tier. It acts as a great gluemon to provide secondary checks vs to stuff like Mime and Floatzel, similar to Bouffalant, but it hits much much harder. Even while holding an AV, it only has one switch-in- Audino.

Gourgeist @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Seed/Seed Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis
- Explosion

Offensive normal Geist is actually pretty decent. It sits at just the right speed tier to outspeed Monferno and company, and wisp a ton of shit, while having enough attack to actually hit hard. With Colbur Berry it is able to check a lot of pokemon, like Machoke and Leafeon, and it is a damn good lure with Explosion. This works on SmallGeist too but without the coolness factor (or the power).

Golduck @ Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Substitute/Psyshock

SubCM Golduck is actually pretty anti-meta atm. Although people are preparing for water-types, usually they are not the types that counter this Golduck set- for example it boosts right through Gourgeist and it turns Lumineon into absolute setup bait if running Sub. It sits at a nice speed tier for Calm Mind and has just enough bulk to make it hard to revenge kill without an electric type (it helps that most fast pokemon are special attackers).

More to come tomorrow

5gen

jumper
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
So I thought I would just use this thread as a dumping ground for some sets that I have used recently that do well against the current metagame, and are either innovative or underrated.

Beheeyem @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball

This gets reputation as a shit set, but I assure you after testing this thing, it is absolutely not. AV BHM is absolutely golden vs balance and offense as it forces sacks vs practically every special attacker in the tier. It acts as a great gluemon to provide secondary checks vs to stuff like Mime and Floatzel, similar to Bouffalant, but it hits much much harder. Even while holding an AV, it only has one switch-in- Audino.

Gourgeist @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Seed/Seed Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis
- Explosion

Offensive normal Geist is actually pretty decent. It sits at just the right speed tier to outspeed Monferno and company, and wisp a ton of shit, while having enough attack to actually hit hard. With Colbur Berry it is able to check a lot of pokemon, like Machoke and Leafeon, and it is a damn good lure with Explosion. This works on SmallGeist too but without the coolness factor (or the power).

Golduck @ Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Substitute/Psyshock

SubCM Golduck is actually pretty anti-meta atm. Although people are preparing for water-types, usually they are not the types that counter this Golduck set- for example it boosts right through Gourgeist and it turns Lumineon into absolute setup bait if running Sub. It sits at a nice speed tier for Calm Mind and has just enough bulk to make it hard to revenge kill without an electric type (it helps that most fast pokemon are special attackers).

More to come tomorrow
Since you posted a Beheeyem set I really want to post one I've been using.

Beheeyem @ Choice Specs
EVs: 164 HP / 252 SpA / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Psyshock/Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball/Trick

Specs Beheeyem is an absolute monster, reaching a Sp.Atk stat of 574. Basically nothing can switch into this thing if you predict correctly. The moves are pretty self-explanatory, opting for STAB and coverage. The given speed allows Specs BHM to outspeed 44 spe base 45's and min speed base 50's. This set is great for wall-breaking and stall-breaking as almost nothing can switch in safely to it. The downside however is Beheeyem's low speed and low bulk. Edit: And being choice locked.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Beheeyem Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Audino: 237-279 (57.8 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Beheeyem Psyshock vs. 160 HP / 24 Def Eviolite Machoke: 362-428 (106.1 - 125.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Beheeyem Hidden Power Fighting vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Stoutland: 296-350 (95.1 - 112.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Beheeyem Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Stunfisk: 237-279 (56.1 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Beheeyem Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Bouffalant: 283-334 (72 - 84.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Beheeyem Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Altaria: 297-351 (84.1 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Beheeyem Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Politoed: 408-482 (106.5 - 125.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor

Krokorok @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Sash Krok is something I've actually been using on Hyper Offensive teams for a while, where it is really solid. Krok offers some great offensive presence with its dual STAB, while it is able to beat out on other leads with Taunt, as well as prevent hazard removal. Sash comes into play because it gives you insurance against pokemon like Ninjask, Floatzel, and Cryogonal, who often predict the Krok lead. You can set up rocks, and theoretically, come back later in the game to get a free intimidate off of something, or cripple something slower with Knock Off. Of course, Sash Krokorok is not an easy pokemon to use and requires a hyper offensive mindset (double switching and stuff) but it does its job well!

Floatzel @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Veil
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast/Hidden Power Grass
- Switcheroo

Switcheroo is actually a fantastic option in the last moveslot of Life Orb Floatzel. Lots of the switch-ins to Floatzel, such as Chinchou and Roselia, really detest having a Life Orb and being put on a timer. Because lots of these pokemon are also checks to other pokemon, it can wear them down for other teammates to clean up, while still retaining all the flexibility of a standard LO FLoatzel set.

Stoutland @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Work Up
- Superpower
- Facade

Work Up Stoutland is just a really solid pokemon that is able to bludgeon its way through a lot of cores. It is able to lure and severely dent Normal resists such as Golem and Relicanth, and straight up boost its way through stuff like Gourgeist. Yet, with Silk Scarf it still hits hard enough to OHKO almost every offensive pokemon.

Now for some talk about the metagame:

Crustle
is pretty decent, not exceptional, but it has a significant influence on the meta. The lead set has made it even more important for people to run either anti-leads or hazard removers on bulky offense because of how quickly it gets up hazards. The Shell Smash set has made Scarf users even more necessary on bulky offense. Although it is pretty underwhelming because of its lack of speed, it is really good against Machoke-less Balance with Lum Berry.

I feel like Pawniard has actually been getting better, the rise of checks to Monferno have helped it. It is able to pressure so many defensive pokemon with Knock Off, as well as so many offensive pokemon with the threat of +2 sucker Punch it continues to be one of the pokemon that puts a constant strain on teambuilding. It's not so easy to have your normal checks be Gourgeist and Golem for example, when they just lose to this thing.

Another pokemon who is really great right now is Altaria. It is just so tough to switch into because you have no idea whether it is physical or special. The DD sets set up easily vs so many mons and it is actually not hard at all to get multiple dragon dances and just sweep.

Machoke remains to be extremely dumb. There are no switch-ins to this thing except Gourgeist-Super and it's just ridiculous to have every resist be confused and lose instant momentum for the team. Also if you use Defensive Machoke, I hate you.

I've found Misdreavus to be quite effective against Crustle and other leads because it is a fast Taunt user with access to Will-O-Wisp and an immunity to ground type moves, which lets it prevent Crustle from setting up hazards or using Shell Smash, and then crippling it with a burn. However, due to its low physical bulk and dark weakness, it fears variants with Knock Off and Rock Blast. Because of its typing, Misdreavus also works well with Crustle and other hazard setters because of its typing, which lets it function as a Spinblocker.

I also feel like there may be an increase in Defiant users, such as Pawniard and Purugly, because they work well with hazard setters, such as Crustle, and they put pressure on Defoggers, which are relatively common.

It's no surprise that wall breakers are extremely strong right now. The rise of things like LO Mr. Mime, Lapras, and even Glaceon and offensive Lickilicky have found a place in this meta. Slow wall breakers are extremely good as they punish the bulky teams that have come into the meta.

With that in mind I decided to go and try a different Rampardos set consisting of a Rock Polish + SD set to both be an amazing wall breaker and a late game sweeper against offensive teams with Rock Polish. At +2 speed Rampardos can out speed the likes of scarf Rotom-f, Chatot, and Mr. Mime while having the power to still ohko things like Roselia, Camerupt, and Vullaby after rocks. This thing has the power to just win based on match up, so many times I've just come into games and think "if I set up a Rock Polish this just wins."
Likewise the SD lets it break stall teams like no other. After rocks a +2 Rock Slide can OHKO Gourgeist-XL and EQ can OHKO Machoke after rocks.

The ability to be able to break both offensive teams and stall teams on the same set with only memento support being needed is a huge boom for Rampardos in this meta as the scarfers that out speed it like the Simis and Sawsbuck have seen less and less play lately lately. And with its raw power to force out things it can even sneak in set up opportunities if your opponent doesn't know the set and gives you a free turn.

Lead Rampardos is a great set, but it's not the only set that Rampardos can run and it's not quite the one trick pony people often think it is.

Here's a quick casual game Dundies and I had that shows how well this thing can work when it can set up - http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-360424909
And a game ShuckleDeath played vs Tone with the same team - http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-360157026 (he's good at dodging blizzards)
shout outs to Kaboom and shuckle too for helping with the team

252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Rampardos Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Vullaby: 289-343 (84.2 - 100%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Rampardos Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 312-368 (83.4 - 98.3%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Rampardos Earthquake vs. 160 HP / 24 Def Eviolite Machoke: 294-346 (86.2 - 101.4%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Rampardos Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Clefairy: 296-348 (86 - 101.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

Last edited:
figured i'd post here to talk about my opinions in the current meta:

Something that i've seen being used on a shitton of teams recently is Gourgeist-Super. I think people are finally starting to realise how menacing Machoke is (specifically the dpunch set), and now people including myself are including true counterplay to take that mon on as apposed to "heres a couple of fighting resists, im good vs machoke now" which i think people realised is a flawed way of thinking due to how crazy dpunch + knock off is. Gourgeist-Super isn't just here based on a whim though. Its huge physical defenses allow it to check several threats the metagame has to offer, which include the likes of Arbok, Physical Floatzel, Banded Stoutland, Bouffalant, Relicanth, Ursaring, the emerging shell smash Crustle sets, as well as several niche mons like Klang and Gogoat. Overall, i think Gourgeist-Super is establishing itself as a key defensive threat, and huge balancing tool to take on those afformentioned mons which may seem overwhelming at first. Something that it also gets is reliable recovery in synthesis, as well as the utility of Will-O-Wisp / Leech Seed meaning it seldom loses momentum for such a fat mon with little speed or offensive presence thanks to its afformentioned utility. If you haven't used it already, I would definately suggest trying it out.

Another mon that has been finding its way onto my teams quite frequently as of late is Prinplup. This mon has bundles of utility, with Stealth Rock / Defog / Scald staples on its set, it almost always has a purpose to when it comes in. Stealth Rocks + Defog is a very undersold utility, and although you may think you are trying to compress too many roles into one Pokemon, Prinplups typing and invested bulk with eviolite helps it pull all these roles perfectly into one mon. A key trait is that it can Defog freely on Golem (something only Vibrava and in somecases Lumineon manage to do) AND can take a hit from Pawniard should it be boosted by Defiant or Swords Dance. Another thing it can use to its advantage, is its excellent typing, the likes of Floatzel find it really difficult to take down, meaning its often an excellent pivot switchin. Beware though, mono-Scald means that its easy to settup on with type-advantage. iirc Megazard was using a Yawn (over Toxic) to limit this, and i found that really intriguing. For sure something to have a bit of fun with if you really want to focus on a mega offensive core but need hazards control + hazards.

This mon is somewhat underrated rn. Inbetween the tank set and rp set, Regice is super menacing. The main thing about it is gonna have to be that huge special defense and great coverage assets. It provides such a solid meta check for special attackers should you run the tank set, since it can tank any special move from any special mon, and can retaliate with a stab ice beam, twave, or even be fancy and prance about with a focus blast / tbolt predicting something. The rp set is slow, but with the lack of scarfers around, and the fact that alot of scarfers nowadays are specially based, regice can be a real pain to take down. Whats nice about RP is that it can settup on so much given its huge spdef, and it hits like a truck too. Life Orb Modest Ice Beam is nothing to be snuffed at, especially when you take into account what actually switches into Ice Beam or Focus Blast or Thunderbolt. The answer is not very much, Regice is one of the meanest things around rn, i would defo reccomend trying it out on your balance team.

Okay so i guess I'll join in with a cool combo that I like using right now. I've got a few other ideas that are really great but I will save them for after PU Seasonal is over because I have a few that are untouched xD
My core that i like at the moment is CM pass to articuno especially. So Mienfoo + articuno.
Mienfoo is perfect for this having regenerator, so it can chew hits and pass cm's / subs throughout the match whilst also resisting rock and allowing a slow BP rather than a fast one like from a ninjask or emolga for example, so aritcuno can come in at 100%. Now articuno at +1 +1 is the worst thing i could ever imagine facing... It's hard enough to kill anyway, but limiting it to exclusively physical attackers whilst being pressure stalled and having sub to evade status, this is just disgusting.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-360957220
Here's a replay of it in action (mild luck freezing the audino, but it couldn't beat articuno regardless)
It's an absolute nightmare for bulkier teams and It's a really fun idea that I urge you all to try. Hopefully someone makes a better team than that team though, my team sucked lol.

5gen

jumper
figured i'd post here to talk about my opinions in the current meta:

Something that i've seen being used on a shitton of teams recently is Gourgeist-Super. I think people are finally starting to realise how menacing Machoke is (specifically the dpunch set), and now people including myself are including true counterplay to take that mon on as apposed to "heres a couple of fighting resists, im good vs machoke now" which i think people realised is a flawed way of thinking due to how crazy dpunch + knock off is. Gourgeist-Super isn't just here based on a whim though. Its huge physical defenses allow it to check several threats the metagame has to offer, which include the likes of Arbok, Physical Floatzel, Banded Stoutland, Bouffalant, Relicanth, Ursaring, the emerging shell smash Crustle sets, as well as several niche mons like Klang and Gogoat. Overall, i think Gourgeist-Super is establishing itself as a key defensive threat, and huge balancing tool to take on those afformentioned mons which may seem overwhelming at first. Something that it also gets is reliable recovery in synthesis, as well as the utility of Will-O-Wisp / Leech Seed meaning it seldom loses momentum for such a fat mon with little speed or offensive presence thanks to its afformentioned utility. If you haven't used it already, I would definately suggest trying it out.

Another mon that has been finding its way onto my teams quite frequently as of late is Prinplup. This mon has bundles of utility, with Stealth Rock / Defog / Scald staples on its set, it almost always has a purpose to when it comes in. Stealth Rocks + Defog is a very undersold utility, and although you may think you are trying to compress too many roles into one Pokemon, Prinplups typing and invested bulk with eviolite helps it pull all these roles perfectly into one mon. A key trait is that it can Defog freely on Golem (something only Vibrava and in somecases Lumineon manage to do) AND can take a hit from Pawniard should it be boosted by Defiant or Swords Dance. Another thing it can use to its advantage, is its excellent typing, the likes of Floatzel find it really difficult to take down, meaning its often an excellent pivot switchin. Beware though, mono-Scald means that its easy to settup on with type-advantage. iirc Megazard was using a Yawn (over Toxic) to limit this, and i found that really intriguing. For sure something to have a bit of fun with if you really want to focus on a mega offensive core but need hazards control + hazards.

This mon is somewhat underrated rn. Inbetween the tank set and rp set, Regice is super menacing. The main thing about it is gonna have to be that huge special defense and great coverage assets. It provides such a solid meta check for special attackers should you run the tank set, since it can tank any special move from any special mon, and can retaliate with a stab ice beam, twave, or even be fancy and prance about with a focus blast / tbolt predicting something. The rp set is slow, but with the lack of scarfers around, and the fact that alot of scarfers nowadays are specially based, regice can be a real pain to take down. Whats nice about RP is that it can settup on so much given its huge spdef, and it hits like a truck too. Life Orb Modest Ice Beam is nothing to be snuffed at, especially when you take into account what actually switches into Ice Beam or Focus Blast or Thunderbolt. The answer is not very much, Regice is one of the meanest things around rn, i would defo reccomend trying it out on your balance team.
Here is a set I feel is pretty good right now.

Simisage @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Ice

Nasty Plot Simisage is mon I felt like trying, and I'm really glad I did. Nearly everyone expects a physical Sage, so the NP set takes advantage of that. This mon can set up on bulky pokes such as Stunfisk, Tangela, Gourgeist-Super, Audino and some others too. Once it sets up an NP, it can be very hard to stop if you don't out-speed. Even before a Nasty Plot, people switch in pokes like Avalugg or Altaria, expecting to wall you but Simisage nails them with it's coverage. This mon is a really nice stall breaker and bulky offense destroyer if played well.

Some Calcs (With Rocks):
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Simisage Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino: 442-523 (107.8 - 127.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Simisage Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gourgeist-Super: 354-419 (94.6 - 112%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Simisage Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Vullaby: 265-312 (77.2 - 90.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Simisage Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 380-447 (113.7 - 133.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Simisage Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Stunfisk: 265-315 (62.7 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Simisage Giga Drain vs. 160 HP / 0 SpD Grumpig: 242-286 (70.9 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Simisage Giga Drain vs. 160 HP / 28 SpD Eviolite Machoke: 253-300 (74.1 - 87.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Simisage Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Stoutland: 307-361 (98.7 - 116%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Simisage Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Bouffalant: 385-455 (97.9 - 115.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Simisage Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Metang: 225-265 (69.4 - 81.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Simisage Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 72+ SpD Altaria: 234-276 (66.2 - 78.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Raichu @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I figured I'd post about this here for those of you that don't know yet, but Surf is now compatible with Lightning Rod. Before, if you wanted to use Surf, you couldn't use Lightning Rod, which is a big reason why you use Raichu in the first place. Now, you can have both, which means you can OHKO Camerupt and Golem, but most importantly, you can OHKO Stunfisk at +2 with Surf. With this available, Raichu is really solid in this balance-based meta, easily breaking through common cores like Stunfisk + Vullaby after a Nasty Plot.
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Raichu Surf vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Stunfisk: 398-471 (94.3 - 111.6%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Raichu Surf vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Solid Rock Camerupt: 261-308 (76 - 89.7%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Raichu Surf vs. 248 HP / 228 SpD Golem: 421-499 (115.9 - 137.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah this is really nice, posted a sample w/it etc just keep in mind that you still want to juggle focus blast on that set because not securing that OHKO on audino can be pretty obnoxious, especially if it's double edge since raichu has about zero bulk e: I only see myself running double edge nowadays so not a huge issue but this is still a really good move for it imo

The other mon I wanted to bring up is prinplup. It dropped, we looked over it for a second or two, then moved on. Nothing too groundbreaking at all, occasional use. But right now it's pretty cool for balance as the compression of a rocker that will beat monferno and also switch into waters is kinda ridiculous (I mean except clefairy which is also underrated right now but not as good of a fit for a lot of teams). Defog+Rocks is the "standard" but right now I really like Yawn so that Prinplup goes from a momentum suck to something that can still fit into a team that doesn't want to drop out any pressure as soon as the penguin comes in, plus triple status can be surprisingly nice (scald basically counts as a status). By no means is it a hidden amazing gem and it still probably deserves its place below lumineon but as a quick pivot it's got a surprising amount of bulk and utility as long as you find the space for yawn.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
apparently rod+surf is not actually legal now, it was made legal directly after a pikachu event which gave it surf but it's still static locked. oopsie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)