Metagame NP: NU Stage 9 - Sandstorm (Gigalith banned from NU)

Status
Not open for further replies.

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader
A few people have been asking for more clarification on why exactly we chose to suspect Gigalith over other elements of Sand, e.g Sand Rush / Sand Stream, a combination of Sand Rush + Sand Stream, Smooth Rock, and Sandslash + Stoutland, so I'm going to do my best to go into detail on what influenced our final decision and answer most of the questions brought up in this thread.

"Why not suspect test Sand Rush over Gigalith? That way you preserve Gigalith and kill off Sand as a playstyle completely"
This is a very fair question and at first glance it seems like the most effective way of ending the Sand issue without having to ban any Pokemon. Unfortunately, this would be very much against our usual tiering philosophy of sticking to simple bans and our desire to stay as close to the cartridge games as possible.

For starters, Sand Rush being suspected and banned would imply two very problematic ideas;
1. Sand Rush is an inherently broken and uncompetitive ability in NU.
2. Every Pokemon that has the ability Sand Rush and is available for usage in NU is broken and too overwhelming for the tier.

Obviously we know that Sand Rush is not a broken ability. Its effectiveness (and the effectiveness of sand as a whole) is completely dependant on how consistent your sand setter is, in this case the sand setter is Gigalith. We know that Sand as a playstyle is not overwhelming when coupled with balanced sand setters, see: Hippopotas or manual Sand Storm setting (both of which were seen unviable in past metagames and continue to be unviable in the current metagame). In fact, I'd go as far as to say Sand as a playstyle is probably the weakest and least consistent playstyle in the tier when Gigalith is taken out of the equation, which should already be a strong indicator of Gigalith's involvement in its ascension to the top of the meta. There's a bunch of reasons for why Sand on its own, and in extension 'Sand Rush' is not broken, and pales in comparison to other weather playstyles.
  • You only have two viable sand abusers; Stoutland and Sandslash, maybe three if you consider Lycanroc (though personally I don't rate Lycanroc too highly on Sand teams and wouldn't really consider it anywhere near as menacing as the first two.)
  • Sand doesn't provide any of its common abusers any buffs in damage or bulk, it simply activates the ability Sand Rush. When you take away Gigalith's ridiculous sand supporting ability, Sand Rush is simply a speed boosting ability with no other perks and requires the use of unviable Pokemon to even function (Hippopotas or manual setters). This is particularly important to consider when you bring things like Swift Swim and Chlorophyll abusers into the picture who have both their ability activated AND receive damage buffs and other perks from their corresponding weather. My point is bringing this up is that while other weather playstyles are viable and can thrive based on the merit of buffs they recieve from Rain and Sun, Sand cannot. Sand can only be used viably and be a legitimately threatening playstyle when it is being given by support by Gigalith to such an overwhelmingly ridiculous degree that it can operate without any buffs.
  • (Keep in mind that I'm not counting Gigalith in this point because it's a Sand Setter, I'm purely talking about Sand Rush users here. I'm also not mentioning Lycanroc because it's very rarely seen on sand, and most people will agree that even with the SpD buff, it's rather mediocre.)
  • So with that being said, clearly it's not fair or accurate to pinpoint Sand Rush as broken when it's far more tame in comparison to other weather-based abilities like Swift Swim and Chlorophyll which have the advantage of benefiting from the actual weather and not just the ability. (Note that this point doesn't need the Rain/Sun comparison to stand, I'm just using it to make things clearer).
So, now that I've outlined why Sand Rush isn't broken, let's touch on my second point. There are currently six Pokemon available for usage in NU which have 'Sand Rush' as an ability, they are; Sandshrew, Sandslash, Herdier, Stoutland, Drilbur, and Lycanroc. It would ONLY make sense for an ability to be banned if every user of that ability is deemed broken in that tier. As you can see from the above list, only 3/6 Pokemon with access to Sand Rush are viable, and only 2/6 of those Pokemon are commonly seen on Sand teams and deemed 'very good'. Banning Sand Rush would not only result in an unnecessarily complex ban, it would also result in us banning an ability which is a. not broken, b. not uncompetitive, and c. only an issue on 2/6 of Pokemon with access to it, a mere third. This fact alone makes a lot of the arguments of banning 'Sand Rush' to preserve Gigalith moot, because regardless of the other Sand Rush abusers not being viable, you'd still end up affecting more Pokemon with this decision, than the simpler alternative of targeting the root of the issue, Gigalith.

Now that we've broken down the specifics of Sand Rush, it's clear that banning the ability would be unnecessarily complex and based on a false perspective of the ability being broken, when it clearly is only able to flourish based on how effective Gigalith is at supporting the playstyle. Some people might argue that "you could just as easily say Gigalith is only broken because of Sand Rush users", but that's incorrect, Gigalith is what enables Sand to be as overwhelming as it is, if the Sand Rush users were truly the problem, then that would mean that Hippopotas would be broken because of them, but that isn't the case. The Sand Rush abusers are just the consequences of Gigalith's immense sand-setting capabilities, it's the catalyst for this entire playstyle. Arguing that Sand wouldn't be broken without Sand Rush users is effectively just saying that if you ban the abusers, the playstyle has nothing to abuse Gigalith's broken support, and therefore isn't an issue anymore. Of course it isn't an issue, you're banning everything that can utilise Sand and effectively killing off an entire weather which isn't broken for the sake of protecting one Pokemon. The point of this suspect isn't to make Sand unusable or go extinct (which is exactly what a Sand Rush test would do), the point is to remove a Pokemon which is broken due to the unchallenged support it provides to a particular playstyle. Hopefully that's enough detail as to why 'Sand Rush' wasn't picked to be suspected, onto the next question.

"Drought was banned in the Beta period of NU. Why not just ban Sand Stream, how is it consistent to ban one weather setting ability and then claim you're banning Gigalith for consistency's sake?"
The main thing we strive to make sure when considering ability bans is that if we are going to that extreme, every single user of that ability should be broken or overwhelming or at the very least viable enough to the point that it makes a playstyle too overwhelming to sustain in NU. Back in beta we had two 'Drought' users in the tier, Ninetales and Vulpix. Obviously we knew Ninetales was broken, and a simple Ninetales ban was being discussed at first. However we decided that before we went that route, we should find out if Drought Vulpix could support Sun to a level that would still make it overwhelming. So a bunch of council members went out and made Drought Vulpix teams, tested it against good players, on the ladder, etc, and we found that due to the hyper offensive nature of sun, simply having a Pokemon that could set 8 free turns of Sun multiple times throughout a match was far too much for the tier to handle, and it was also deemed broken. That's why we went with the Drought ban, all Pokemon with that ability were too broken in the supported they provided to Sun. As a playstyle, Sun is the most aggressive of all the weathers, so it's not accurate to compare it to Sand which takes a much more balanced approach in it's most popular builds (which is partly due to the small number of abusers as well as the lack of direct buffs Sandstorm provides in comparison to something like Sun's Fire-type damage buff or automatic Solarbeams).

Sand has two options for Sand Stream setters, Hippopotas and Gigalith. We know Sand Stream Hippopotas is not broken as many of us have tried Hippo sand to no avail, it simply doesn't have the bulk to sustain the bulky offense route which Sand teams take, nor does it provide the defensive and offensive capabilities that makes Gigalith so good at what it does, therefore we're once again left with Gigalith as the sole issue and only sand setter which makes the playstyle as a whole overwhelming.

"If we banned Smooth Rock, Gigalith would have less turns of Sand to provide, and you'd be able to preserve Gigalith, why not ban that?"
Item bans in general are something I strongly disagree with because at that point you're just treading around the issue for the sake of protecting something, but regardless, banning Smooth Rock would do nothing to make Sand less overwhelming. A lot of Sand teams have been using Choice Banded Gigalith lately, as seen in high level NUPL matches, as well as the classic leftovers set to sustain Gigalith's longevity even further. Clearly Smooth Rock would be a small hit for Sand, but it would do nothing to address the issue and just create a scenario of us having to look at Sand again because we didn't have the guts to deal with it properly from the offset. Moreover, suspect tests are not made in order to preserve something, they're made to put arguably broken elements under the microscope so the community can vote on whether or not they're too much for the tier to handle. No amount of theorymonning in a post Gigalith metagame matters in this test, and it should not be the basis of people's arguments. If anything is an issue when Gigalith is potentially banned, it gets looked at after the suspect, there's no point making guesses and speculating and it should not prevent you from banning something which is otherwise broken. Please dont think that by voting 'Do Not Ban' just because you weren't happy with the Council's decision, or because you want to keep Gigalith you're going to achieve anything, because that sort of mentality is completely flawed and will affect the tier in a very negative way.

"I still don't agree with Gigalith being suspect tested, if I vote 'Do Not Ban' and Gigalith ends up staying, will Sand be addressed again in the future in the form of another suspect test, for example a 'Sand Rush' test"
No, we will not be suspect testing Sand Rush, Smooth Rock, Sandslash + Stoutland, Sand Stream, or Sand Stream + Sand Rush now, later, or in the distant future. If you think Sand is an issue and broken in the tier, then vote Ban in this suspect test. We will not be going against our tiering policies and reasoning, nor do we plan on setting a bad precedent for future suspect tests in NU. So for the very few people considering voting 'Do Not Ban' because they think the Council is going to go back on it's word, reconsider.

All in all, our final decision was based on Gigalith being deemed as the central culprit behind making Sand broken. All other alternatives were discussed and crossed off the list for the reasons stated above and we all agreed that this was the simplest way to address the problem and the way which made the most sense for us as a tier as well as one which stays true to Smogon's tiering philosophy.

Now that I've answered the major questions that have been brought up in this thread, I might as well give my own opinion on the actual suspect so we can start steering this discussion into the right direction.

I will unsurprisingly be voting to 'Ban Gigalith' because I believe the support it provides to the sand archetype is far too good for the tier to handle and turns an otherwise mediocre playstyle into something overwhelming which restricts the growth of the tier, limits teambuilding options, and has made offense and hyper offense incredibly risky to use due to how good of a natural match-up it has by virtue of Gigalith's consistency. Gigalith has far too little downside for the ridiculous support it provides to Sand, and the tier will greatly improve from it's departure.

I hope that's cleared up any questions and concerns anyone had. Myself, Hootie, and the NU Council are happy to answer any further unanswered questions you might have in the NU general discord or NU room. Anymore discussion of different routes to take for this suspect test or any commentary not related to the current suspect test is going to be deleted and infracted, so please stick to the topic at hand which is Gigalith, and remember that if you feel Sand is an issue (which I know most people do), then vote Ban. Thanks for reading.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Fuck the bickering about what was actually chosen as the suspect, the test is halfway over with and there has been little discussion about whether or not sand is even broken. It's not right to go in with the assumption that it is, and it defeats the purpose of this test and thread.

That being said there have been some good points made that have been lost in the fray. There's a legitimate argument that Eject Button sand invalidates hyper offense, but I think you could just as easily say that it's matchup dependent and is indicative of hyper offense in general in the sense that you can easily auto-win or auto-lose at team preview. There are also arguments that Stoutland and Sandslash are decidedly mediocre and struggle to get through common defensive cores, you could say that Slash finds a ton of set-up opportunities and at +2 its difficult to check. I'd actually like to see discussion on these points, and others, instead of posts arguing what we should have tested.

There's also a question I'd like to pose for you all:

Is sand so broken that we need to go for a dive in the dumpster and pull out Tangela and Weezing to check this god awful playstyle? Or could it be that Tangela and Weezing are rightfully seeing increased usage due to a favorable metagame shift and this signifies healthy metagame development? Is there a stigma associated with using pokemon in response to metagame shifts or are Tangela and Weezing legimately bad pokemon that we've been forced into using to check "broken sand"?

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
There's also a question I'd like to pose for you all:

Is sand so broken that we need to go for a dive in the dumpster and pull out Tangela and Weezing to check this god awful playstyle? Or could it be that Tangela and Weezing are rightfully seeing increased usage due to a favorable metagame shift and this signifies healthy metagame development? Is there a stigma associated with using pokemon in response to metagame shifts or are Tangela and Weezing legimately bad pokemon that we've been forced into using to check "broken sand"?
I'll address this because this is a common theme among suspect tests from my experience. People really like to label Pokemon/archetypes/whatever really as broken/overbearing because "we're resorting to using otherwise unviable Pokemon as answers to these". So when determining whether or not Pokemon such as Weezing and Tangela are absurdly niche Pokemon that, outside of this current meta, hold no place in the tier, we should examine them outside of just their uses against Sand to determine if perhaps Sand meta simply had people realize they were actually usable.

Weezing is actually a pretty cool Pokemon in the tier imo; while Garbodor largely outclasses it, Weezing punishes Stealth Rock users such as Steelix and Rhydon harder because of its access to Will-o-Wisp, is a really solid answer to Passimian because of Levitate while still checking other Fighting-type Pokemon such as Toxicroak and Hariyama just fine, and has other cool utility options that set it apart such as Taunt and Haze. I think Weezing had been largely underappreciated prior to Sand's dominance because Garbodor better blanket checks against Grass- and Fairy-types (though tbf most mons have coverage lol) and is the best Spike user in the tier, but that doesn't take away from the clear advantages Weezing has, with it being a better answer to Sand the reason for its surge into the tier.

I'm gonna keep Tangela short because my stance on it should be clear since I initially nommed it on the VR: Tangela blanket checks any physical attacker that lacks coverage to hit it and has access to Regenerator which lets it continuously check Pokemon like Passimian and Stoutland. While Sand's dominance is definitely the big reason Tangela holds viability in the tier - and I think Tangela's usability will drop significantly if/when Sand goes - it certainly has usage outside of just being a great blanket answer to Sand.

So is this a sign of "healthy metagame development"? Or is this just people using ass Pokemon to counter a busted archetype? I feel this personally depends on how you view competitive mons; if you view the course of a generation as having distinct metas in which certain Pokemon prevailed over the majority of while others occasionally were viewed as viable because of the meta at that time, then yeah seeing the rise of Pokemon like Tangela and Weezing is simply meta growth. But if you view mons as one continuous mess that only sees changes because of either forced insertion of something into the tier or because people decided to use something more, then sure, Tangela's and Weezing's rise to prominence in the tier seems more forced than natural. I personally view the usage of more niche options as fine as long as those options hold some semblance of viability outside of their narrow niche; otherwise, the case then, in my opinion, can be made that those options being run are far too niche to be deemed as "healthy shifts in the meta".

if this is confusing anywhere because of how I worded stuff then ask for clarification because yeah I definitely have bad habits in regards to sentence organization lol

First; my ban choice is TOP SECRET. I am trying to address all of the mediocre arguments (both sides!!) in this thread (I say a lot but there are only 2). Most importantly, the walls of text put me to sleep!! :pikuh:

Welcome to The MOnion. Reporter tangy is reporting in!

EXTRA! EXTRA! NU META RAVAGED BY SAND SCIENTIST AND SUPERHUMANS, INNOCENT HYPER OFFENSE JUST ONE OF MANY VICTIMS

First of all, the meta is not centralized by sand (if anything it's more diverse than slowbro / incineroar / passimian / ground type rocker / ice resist / poison or some variation with match-up bird xatu lol). Sand representation in NUPL has actually been average at best, with Gigalith never breaking the top 10 in usage. If anything the meta is shifting slightly away from sand (week 5 actually had 0 sand usage).

As far as the sand abusers in particular, lets go a bit deeper:

Stoutland is a really solid mon that can fit onto a lot of teams compared to Sandslash since it is good even when Gigalith isn't smooth rock. It's fast, strong, and reasonably bulky. It has a coverage move to hit most switch-ins (superpower, crunch/pursuit). It also has a way of playing around status (facade). Wow this mon is OP!! Big dog has some big problems in the current meta, though. A normal resist is on every (useable) team (Steelix, other Gigalith, Rotom, Palossand, etc). Balance often runs lots of protect to scout and stall sand turns. Broken Slowbro is on every team without fail and can pivot in on Stoutland to scout the move. Every functioning team has ways to beat Stoutland without going out of its way to prep for it. As far as its value in the game, it is a conditional revenge killer that can trap, but it still doesn't beat Klinklang lol.

This is the mon that a lot of top players are attributing to sand's oppressive nature, though it really only sees use on teams with Stoutland already. Sandslash must be SD and zground. It's value over Stoutland is that it can kill Slowbro at +2 with zeq and in general it is harder to prep for as you have to go out of your way to find ground resists. These arguments are fair, but is that a supposed lack of adaptation or because it's overwhelming? There are plenty of answers that have found their way onto teams (Vanilluxe is still common and revenges, Comfey can revenge and has a really good matchup vs sand in general, grasses/waters won't let is set up for free). It's really reliant on being at +2 and all mons that are dependant on zmoves have issues when they are forced to be used prematurely (this is hardly a significant point though). There also some less common adaptations that have been popping up like... Scroll down to find out! :heart:

Currently, screens offense is a usable hyper offense-esque playstyle. More importantly, prior to this meta hyper offense had no place in nu in the first place, so attributing that to sand is dumb. Heck, the good sand team IS balanced offense. This tier has always been a balance party.

That being said, there is some stuff that makes sand arguably over the top:

The main perpetrator is trash guy. Garbodor sets up spikes. Spikes make sand extra annoying to play against and usually makes it so the opposing team is on the back foot. Defoggers in general are bad against teams with a lot of offensive pressure, so it's usually a struggle. The problem is being slightly overstated by others (it's not getting up 15 layers for free while you suck on your thumbs clicking protect over and over, not to mention a lot of builds don't run Garbodor), but still really obnoxious.

Wow Slowbro making another team broken lets suspect sand LOL. This one's a minor note; I think it's kinda cheesy but eject button + regen is pretty good on a team like sand offense where all the turns matter and your offensive mons don't like hard coming in, and is sometimes difficult to deal with (mostly because it prevents u-turn from monkey boy). I think it has reasonable counterplay though (toxic spam and not attacking in general spend turns of sand, they forgo usually toxic sometimes psychic which means you can catch it slipping a lot of the time).

I think this style of sand is a little brain, button clicker strategy. :psyduck:

Other variations of sand are not remotely broken in my eyes (a lot of the replays from finch's post where he said sand has no competitive place in nu were not very convincing). Finch said it in his post but you can often autopilot and still get wins in the same vein as stall, but cheese winning a ton on ladder is nothing new (free rain). Except compared to stall or rain, there are a lot of match-ups where you can't autopilot but still have the ability to win with good play (Vanilluxe actually makes the game very intricate, good defensive cores require good play to break, etc), which is a good thing (winner not being determined at preview). These are my thoughts after playing a lot with finch's team and my own sand balances.

THEY'RE TAKING OUR JOBS! HARSH META LAWS LEAVE QUALIFIED FOREIGNMONS UNEMPLOYED

So far kiyo has unironically made one of the only points that hasn't been "sand is broken/overwhelming" so I'll build on that.

I think these are kinda mediocre but they have a clear niches in addition to having a good sand match-up. Tangela supposedly beats the majority of physical attackers in the tier. Everyone except for Incineroar, Sneasel, Klinklang, Medicham, Toxicroak... oh that's all of them. But it has a niche as a pivot into all kinds of stuff that can click sleep / knock off / strong grass move in a similar fashion to Slowbro. Weezing is easily worn down and often the switch-in to a bunch of stuff, but it has a very good niche as Passimian counter (run rocky helmet!!) that spams burn. TSpikes are not horrible, and taunt is solid. The value of these dudes has been heavily overstated, but they are definitely not unviable even without sand.

Let's not forget the best "poop" mon. Torterra is insanely good and there's been a lot of talk about him in the vr so go over there. The point of all this is that these "dumb" meta trends are not solely counter measures for sand. If anything, this can be viewed as sand having lots of answers rather than resorting to PU (poop usage) mons. There have been other adaptations that are good vs sand too. Earlier we talked about Comfey and Vanilluxe, but there's also Klinklang who has an insane match-up vs sand and sets up on Stoutland and some Gigalith.

The detrimental effects of sand are clear though; Corsola and Marianne no longer have a place on teams. :pirate:
---

That's all for this episode of the tangelo night live, tangy reporting out!! :toast:

p.s are u guys joking just view this as a sand suspect stop trying to save 1 stupid rock if u think sand is op lol
p.s.s. it sounds like it leans anti ban but be open minded
p.s.s.s. i thought of some stuff to add (talking about the sand abuser and current meta trends that favor/hinder sand) but i don't like posting twice so ill just edit it in forgive me

Last edited:
So I was going to throw out my opinions after getting reqs, but given the conversation has shifted to less about the Sand Stream debate and more to the actual suspect I figured I'd throw my opinion on there.

I think sand as a whole is broken, but not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. I don't think the tier needs to resort to using mons like Weezing or Tangela to beat sand. People feel as tho you need to because they keep trying to use the same meta mons pre-sand in a post-sand meta and throwing on quick fixes to try and beat it rather then actually adapting, which leaves people feeling as tho there are too few counters to sand.

I think the better counter play just comes down to better building and playing. Learn how to burn the eject buttons early, learn how to pressure Gig on the switch in, run mons that can pressure Stoutland not to lock normal STAB, learn how not to give Sandslash free set up when there are sand turns left. I think the players that feel like they need to rely on Tangela and Weezing are the people who don't have the mind set of adapting. They just want quick fixes to the problem rather then learning to deal with it.

Now with that said I do think sand is still an overbearing presence in NU. The play style as a whole takes a lot of time and dedication in both builder and playing to learn how to beat, and on the flip side its very auto pilot to play. This sets up a system where you'll just auto win against people who don't understand how to beat your easy to play sand, and you'll have much better odds against actual good players despite a skill gap. It's like ORAS rain on steroids.

For now I'm leaning to ban but I wont know for sure until I'm done suspect laddering.

Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 11.06.39 AM.png

As I spent the past two weeks spamming Gigalith on the ladder, I found that I was at an unfair advantage most of the time. I get pretty much guaranteed rocks every game because it can take almost every hit in the tier and the opponent can't defog or spin because there's too much offensive pressure from Sandslash and Stoutland. You're pretty much forced to run certain pokes such as Tangela, Weezing, etc or just keep sacking mons to the aforementioned threats.

Although Gigalith really isn't doing much besides setting up sand and rocks, I know we would not be having this type of problem if only Hippopotas was available as a sand setter because it requires you to play smarter. There are too many threats to Hippopotas for you to just run around using brain dead gimmicks to get easy W's, but it still wouldn't make the sand archetype underpowered because Sandslash and Stoutland will still be around to abuse it as best as they can.

I just feel like once a metagame gets to the point where you either HAVE to run certain mons to prevent being swept or you just join the Gigalith train to win, then we definitely have a problem. Banning Gigalith would be the simplest way to take the problem away, so therefore I vote ban.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I just feel like once a metagame gets to the point where you either HAVE to run certain mons to prevent being swept or you just join the Gigalith train to win, then we definitely have a problem. Banning Gigalith would be the simplest way to take the problem away, so therefore I vote ban.
I think that’s a reasonable assumption, and I agree that if we got to the point where you were forced to use dedicated sand counters a ban would be in order. I just don’t see that we’ve reached that point yet. Time and again I’ve seen standard balance teams that do not go out of their way to check sand win the matchup, often comfortably. From what I’ve seen of NUL and NUPL most sand matchups can go either way and don’t overly favor sand like some seem to think. Yes Sand will often have the momentum and control the pace of the game against certain team archetypes, but that’s the nature of running an offensive build, your team building goal is to keep momentum on your side.

I don’t think we’ve reached the point where teams are fearing sand to the degree expressed by some in this thread, and sand definitely isn’t creating conditions where less skilled players are consistently getting an advantage. Unless these things happen there is no need to ban Gigalith.

edit: I can post replays when i get home from work

Some really cool drops here, obviously some busted ones like Dragalge and Hoopa. Aerodactyl is going to be pretty interesting, along with Mega Banette.

My thoughts on these tier changes, cause why not?:

Banette-Mega moved from RU to NU:
We got another shot at a non-Audino mega. Mega Banette has a great attack stat and decent support movepool, but any Dark-type stops it in its tracks, its not that bulky, and its kind of slow. Plus its coverage is rather limited.

Hoopa moved from RU to NU:
Like Mega Camerupt, if it can safely get in, something dies. Mediocre speed and terrible defensive typing aside, this is probably something that won't stay in the tier for very long, since it utterly wrecks a lot of defensive teams. The likes of Incineroar and Sneasel will keep it in check, but like I said, don't count on this staying for long.

Dragalge moved from RU to NU:
Good defensive typing, very strong (even when uninvested), and little switch-ins. Its hard to imagine this staying for long either.

Decidueye moved from RU to NU:
The typing's not too good, but it switches into enough threats to successfully set-up an SD. Bulk ain't too great though and, like the other Ghosts we got, Decidueye has mediocre speed. Not too sure about this one actually, might be underestimating it.

Quagsire moved from RU to NU:
Pyukumuku will probably be better in spite of Quag having Scald because of the better bulk Pyukumuku provides and the lack of Ground-typing means it isn't dead weight against Grass-type moves or coverage.

Aerodactyl moved from RU to NU:
Now this will be fun. A fast Rock-type is a great boon with mons like Vanilluxe running around, and Aerodactyl has solid coverage moves to boot. It has some decent utility too, mainly Taunt. I'd actually like to try out a Hone Claws set but I doubt that'd do too well.

Dhelmise moved from RU to NU:
4MSS, very slow, typing's the same as Decidueye's, but its matchups against hazard setters and spinners are better than I expected (though I just used damage calcs, don't know how well it does in practice). Not too great at fighting opposing spinblockers though. It probably won't be too great due to the issues I pointed out, plus Defog is used more than Rapid Spin and Dhelmise's matchups against the users of that are really shoddy.

Diancie moved from NU to RU:
This thing was kind of a nuisance to be honest, but it was a great glue and I'm sad to see it go. We lost both of our Rock-type drops within just one major shift. (one of them outright got banned but still)

Gastrodon moved from PU to OU:
Gastro's loss affects PU a lot more than NU, and while Gastro wasn't particularly bad here it wasn't too great either.

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
Regardless of whether or not this was a serious post, I'd like to spark some discussion on a potential test of Incineroar since it's one of the more polarizing Pokemon in the tier. I'm going to address the tier as is; therefore, I will not get into what could happen with tier shifts (though I will comment that Incineroar looks like it'd get better).

In my opinion, Incineroar is suspect worthy and ban worthy not only because of its extremely limited defensive counterplay, but also its really, really great defensive utility, allowing it to really never be dead-weight in a match. To elaborate I'd like to take a look at what I consider Incineroar's defensive counterplay:

1531538666470.png
1531538671817.png
1531538740248.png

Incineroar itself, physically defensive Diancie, and defensive Hariyama are the Pokemon which can usually reliably stomach a hit on the switch, and threaten Incineroar out with the prospect of super effective damage. This doesn't mean they're the only Pokemon which can eat a hit though - Guzzlord, Rhydon, Passimian, and others CAN switch in - but they're the ones which don't lose virtually all their worth afterwards. What I don't like about this really limited defensive counterplay is as follows: 1) Incineroar shouldn't be considered a switch-in for itself lol, 2) defensive Hariyama is extremely difficult, in my experience, to fit on a team and has great opportunity cost (harder to run another one of the tier's great Fighting Pokemon alongside it), and 3) I'm still not convinced these are amazing checks because Incineroar can literally run Groundium Z and beat all three more effectively. Much of the defensive counterplay to Incineroar also relies heavily on it not having already used Swords Dance, which is not always easy to prevent.

1531539360963.png
1531539365895.png
1531539370114.png

What I generally view as the best way to beat Incineroar is through offensive pressure; the tier has a slew of Fighting-types which threaten Incineroar out: Passimian, Medicham, and Toxicroak all can pivot in from doubles or moves like U-Turn, and threaten to drop Incineroar with super effective STAB moves. While this adds a dimension of counterplay to Incineroar, I personally believe the immense strain Incineroar puts on defensive teams alone is far too much to deem as healthy.

And it's not like we're looking at a relatively one-dimensional Pokemon anymore: Swords Dance Z-move, Iapapa Berry pivot, Assault Vest (reeee), Weakness Policy. All of these sets have emerged over the last several months as very viable options and have expanded Incineroar's influence from bulky offense all the way to Screens HO. And while I'll never deem splashability as a reason to ban a Pokemon, it is still helpful to look at how easy it is to throw a Pokemon on your team when deciding how influential it is in the meta.

I could talk more about how the meta has entirely shifted around Incineroar and previous titans like Sneasel and Delphox are viewed in a much dimmer light now, but I don't think that furthers the point I want to make: the extremely limited defensive counterplay to Incineroar has led me to believe is should be suspect tested. I don't believe any drops or rises the tier endures will hinder Incineroar at all, and while this is a terrible time to do a test, we should at the very least think about one.

:blobsad:

Last edited:

There is a major difference between a polarizing Pokemon and a broken Pokemon. Incineroar is objectively one of the best and most splashable Pokemon in the tier with 2 fantastic sets being SD Z (Generally Incinium) and Specially/Mixed Bulky (Whether a pinch berry or AV) while also having the less reliable double dance-ish set in Bulk Up+Flame Charge. Given this is one of it not my first NU post and I'm far from the best NU player around nor am I the ideal person to do this kinda thing, I'd still like to get my opinion out there. I'll try my best to explain why I think Incineroar in my opinion is not broken.

SD Z
Incineroar is one of the scariest offensive threats in the metagame. With Base 115 Attack and incredible Fire+Dark STAB even without an SD boost the cat is a deadly threat offensively. Incinium is by far the best Z crystal on SD imo though Groundium and Firium both have their respective reasons to use. Defensively SD Incinium is ridiculously hard to wall at +2 with stuff like Rhydon, Bulky Incineroar and Hariyama generally being the best bets however Hariyama is just not good and Rhydon and Opposing Incineroar are incredibly easy to chip down and have no recovery. Even not at +2 Incineroar is doing SOO much damage to numerous Pokemon. It's typing even if it's offensive is fantastic defensively soft checking ice, grass, psychic and fire types. The main and arguably only flaw of SD Incineroar is it's incredibly slow. 240 Max Speed is being outsped by most relevant offensive Pokemon in the tier making Incineroar very easy to revenge kill. Just from A- and Above from the VR excluding sand stuff you've got Passimian, Heliolisk, Medicham, Toxicroak and Sceptile that don't struggle to revenge kill it at 100% bar potentially missing. One of the flaws of Bulky Incineroar can also be a flaw of SD Incineroar in how easily it can get chipped down. It's weak to rocks with no recovery and its strongest offensive STAB being Flare Blitz which hurts itself. While it is incredibly bulky, potentially taking rocks+recoil damage while having no recovery does not make it as bulky as it seems. With an SD up you don't have to click Flare Blitz as much of course however SD is not always free. Without an SD Darkest Lariat is not doing enough to break teams and if you dent something with Flare Blitz you're denting yourself as well. SD Incineroar is one of if not the best offensive threat in the tier even without an SD but its incredible lack of speed as well as lack of recovery and habit of getting chipped down makes this set not broken. While SD Incineroar has shaped and polarized the meta though, for example being one of the main reasons Scarf Passimian is one of the most splashable Pokemon and best Scarfer in NU atm, that does not make it broken.

Pinch Berry and AV Bulky Sets
Incineroar is also the most splashable defensive pivot in the tier with its Pinch Berry and AV sets respectively. Checking some of the most deadly offensive threats in the tier like Vanilluxe, Klinklang, Sceptile, SD Incineroar while walling others like Houndoom, Sneasel, and Delphox as well as also having excellent support in moves like Knock Off and U-turn in 1 team slot is absolutely fantastic. Being such an amazing defensive pivot Incineroar gets multiple oppurtunities to get in deadly offensive threats via a slow U-Turn assuming it doesn't choose to Knock Off an Item, hit you with a fire STAB whether Fire Blast or Fire Punch or something else like Drain Punch, Earthquake or Will-O-Wisp. This makes Incineroar defensively an incredible Pokemon as well and forces the tier to prepare even more for it however Bulky Incineroar can be very easily defensively checked unlike offensive by things like Z/Colbur Slowbro, Vaporeon, Rhydon and Druddigon to name a few. Similar to Offensive but even more so Incineroar is even easier to revenge kill being much much slower and still incredibly easy to chip down. Bulky Incineroar also clearly influences the tier, being the main reason many offensive Pokemon such as Sneasel, Delphox and Houndoom are much much worse than they once were. Despite this Bulky Incineroar is centralizing and super splashable, not broken.

Bulk Up+Power Trip Sets
These sets are more considered cheese being next to impossible to stop if they get set up and doing absolutely nothing if they don't. Generally the main set I'm aware of is Bulk Up Flame Charge Weakness Policy; generally behind Screens or on Set-Up Spam Offense. Even behind screens this set takes 2 turns absolute minimum to set up generally 3 (At least 1 BU+2 Flame Charges) to outspeed common scarfers and faster pokemon like Sceptile and Accelgor. Even with these 3 things set up if you don't activate its Weakness Policy it is not very strong. For example this set is generally very easy to Toxic Stall out or keep to low enough stats where a Power Trip resist eats well enough though. If it gets set up though resisting Power Trip means absolutely nothing and it will likely proceed to sweep you however if you let it activate WP, get up at least 1 BU and Flame Charge at least once there's likely something you did wrong whether in teambuilding or play. While set up or behind screens this set is extremely intimidating and deadly, it is by far the least consistent of Incineroar's sets and can be dealt with decently enough making it not broken.

Short Summary
Overall Incineroar is one of the most centralizing, polarizing, splashable whatever buzz words you want to use; it's absolutely fantastic in this tier currently. It has a variety of sets all of which are amazing both on paper and in practice, however it lacks overall speed making it incredibly easy to revenge kill, has no recovery and is rocks weak making it hard to keep healthy consistently, and is not a completely braindead Pokemon. Incineroar absolutely shapes and defines the metagame to a major degree, but those kind of Pokemon exist in every tier. There is a difference between centralizing and broken and centralization is not necessarily a bad thing. If any Pokemon in NU atm is over centralizing to a clear negative effect in my opinion it's Slowbro but I'm unsure as to whether it's broken or not as well. There are always gonna be Pokemon that are objectively better and easier to fit on a team than others, however there is a difference between those Pokemon being broken as opposed to just fantastic. I personally would wait for drops and let the meta settle out a bit before considering suspecting anything.

Decidueye wasn't too hot in RU, and I don't see it doing much better here with mons like Incineroar, Sneasel, and Guzzlord running around.

Hoopa at least has Focus Blast to deal with the above mons, though Sneasel still outspeeds it.

Decidueye gets Focus Blast too
that's still not relevant because you're not really using special decidueye considering all of it's coverage and power will most likely be in SD sets with its arrow z move thing.

Anyways, Hoops seems borderline obscene, if that even exists. It's power+versatility means it just runs over every team with nothing to rk it due to it's incredible wallbreaking power. However, it only has base 80 speed so that's going to be something that holds it back versus offensive teams and can make it vulnerable to certain BO builds, but those probably won't see much usage if I had to guess. Dragalge is another mon that shouldn't stay long, it has similar, if not greater power compared to hoopa, and comes with less downside and a better use on the defensive end, was going to be banned in alpha or some shit but it rose, so here it is now for us to ban. Quag is Quag. Dhelmise is a cool pokemon that I've personally always had an affinity for, despite it being not nearly as good in practice as it is in theory. In theory Dhelmise is a slow breaker that can pull a tiny bit of role compression as a breaker+spinner+spinblocker. However, I'd take a hefty bet that 99.9% of the time you're using it as a banded breaker as opposed to any sort of spinner or supportive mon lol. Looks good as a TR attacker and as a breaker for slow builds vs slow builds, but the potential omnipresence of hoopa and dragalge will most likely pose problems for this ghastly anchor. Aerodactyl is another weird mon. Aero is theoretically just a superior Archeops-esque suicide rocker for HO teams, sans the self-debuff. With 105 130 atk and speed respectively, it could also pose a nice threat to offensive teams, as something along the lines or Ground Z Hone claws would pressure offensive teams by outspeeding all the non-Passimian mons and hitting the rock resist with a Z EQ. Overall, these changes seems pretty fun, even if some of them are potentially broken. Looks like a fun change to the tier and I'm looking forward to seeing how long Hoopa and Dragalge stay NU

Rabia

GP & NU Leader
that's still not relevant because you're not really using special decidueye considering all of it's coverage and power will most likely be in SD sets with its arrow z move thing.

Anyways, Hoops seems borderline obscene, if that even exists. It's power+versatility means it just runs over every team with nothing to rk it due to it's incredible wallbreaking power. However, it only has base 80 speed so that's going to be something that holds it back versus offensive teams and can make it vulnerable to certain BO builds, but those probably won't see much usage if I had to guess. Dragalge is another mon that shouldn't stay long, it has similar, if not greater power compared to hoopa, and comes with less downside and a better use on the defensive end, was going to be banned in alpha or some shit but it rose, so here it is now for us to ban. Quag is Quag. Dhelmise is a cool pokemon that I've personally always had an affinity for, despite it being not nearly as good in practice as it is in theory. In theory Dhelmise is a slow breaker that can pull a tiny bit of role compression as a breaker+spinner+spinblocker. However, I'd take a hefty bet that 99.9% of the time you're using it as a banded breaker as opposed to any sort of spinner or supportive mon lol. Looks good as a TR attacker and as a breaker for slow builds vs slow builds, but the potential omnipresence of hoopa and dragalge will most likely pose problems for this ghastly anchor. Aerodactyl is another weird mon. Aero is theoretically just a superior Archeops-esque suicide rocker for HO teams, sans the self-debuff. With 105 130 atk and speed respectively, it could also pose a nice threat to offensive teams, as something along the lines or Ground Z Hone claws would pressure offensive teams by outspeeding all the non-Passimian mons and hitting the rock resist with a Z EQ. Overall, these changes seems pretty fun, even if some of them are potentially broken. Looks like a fun change to the tier and I'm looking forward to seeing how long Hoopa and Dragalge stay NU
dragalge isn't nu

I too will edit this later so that it isn't a one-liner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)